The Tech system seems kind of... busted?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
These ships were as long as 390 feet or more, the biggest wooden sailing ships built until the 19th century and some of the biggest ever. The expeditions were outfitted from every province of the entire empire, and the Armada brought along 20,000 soldiers. A truly gigantic undertaking of staggering expense -- the 15th century equivalent of the Apollo Moon program.

The size has been largely discredited, those ships were not sea worthy and were simply used for prestige purposes

Had subsequent emperors kept up this expansionist policy when the Dutch and Portugal reached Asia, China would have ruled the seas. There would have been no "Dutch East Indies", no colony at Goa, no East India Company.
Simplifying it to "stupid emperor" is bad history. there were many factors (such as culture/economy) that would have made voyages like that unlikely and the development of colonies unlikely.

Just think that a single Ming porcelain bowl with a scene of ducks and marshes sold at Christie's for over 30,000 Euros. Not remarkable. Not the most expensive example. And these fleets were FILLED with a staggering fortune of such trade items: high-thread count silk fabrics imprinted with gold Dragons were a single popular item.

a Canadian penny today might someday be worth a million to a collector, that's not evidence of Canada's wealth.

Not so easy to achieve that in this game which assumes that Asian tech is inferior, when it is easily arguable that it was historically quite superior. They just made a choice NOT to expand, NOT to send trade fleets to colonize the world.

and its bad history because without "you" (the player) guiding the nation it would have been unlikely that they would have made that choice since they were content. Just knowing the world map makes it badhistory (otherwise why would you even be going into uncharted waters?). If you don't think that the Americas exist then why explore that area? the Chinese didn't have incentive to explore that way while the Europeans were trying to find a way to get to the spices and circumnavigate the silk road. Of course any nation with good ships could have found the Americas but why would they even try? the Europeans had a reason and the Chinese didn't

The tech is for game play reasons, not history reasons. If you make China have better naval tech they discover the Americas and settle. Instead of spending a huge amount of time making a mechanic that accounts for Chinese content and lack of motivations to do that they basically script it into the game., and even then its pretty easy to be ahistorical and settle the new world.

But, this game is about alternative history. "What if the Emperors had decided to establish a world trading and colonization empire?"

Its called EUROPA Universalis for a reason. They only have so many resources to put into the game and its very much about Europe emerging onto the world stage.

Last edited:
I don't understand why if you hate westernization so much you can't just go in and make a new tech group with no research malus? I did it. I made a powerful culture/government/religion/national ideas/units in all of 30 minutes and bam, One province Ceylon conquered all of India in a mere 60 years plus most of south africa and islands between Ceylon and Madagascar. Now I've got tons of Indonesian colonies and I am getting ready to crap on southeast asia and china and start colonizing the new world. 30 minutes.

Guys I want to spend 50 hours on a single game but I'm not gonna spend 30 minutes modding to make my favorite culture equal to western Europeans? Lazy.

LMAO
So it doesn't matter to you a game that simulates historical processes should be able to be rationalized based on real history. All you want is game play terms? Well that's even easier!
Here's the answer to that:
What should be the product of the system = What the product is now
How we want the system to behave = How the system is behaving now
-> No repairs necessary.
The point is, that post ad hoc rationalization is only finding reasons, why something should be bad or good based on general feeling of person. Not actuall reasons why something should be like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_(making_excuses)

The point is, that post ad hoc rationalization is only finding reasons, why something should be bad or good based on general feeling of person. Not actuall reasons why something should be like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_(making_excuses)
And the point is the system is good, balanced, intricate, and working as intended. Did it ever occur to you that the complainers are rationalizing their excuses to complain, and we're overturning those excuses to expose what's underneath: a baseless complaint.

Complainers are rationalizing their excuses to complain about a game mechanic they don't like by saying it is ahistorical and counter-intuitive.
So others and I pointed out that, No, it is historical and makes perfect rational sense.

If you want to stop rationalization then let's stop on both sides.
The complainers don't like a system that rewards long term planning, force them to save up, always have a reserve on hand in case of bad situations, carefully pick and choose their spending, and plan decades ahead. They want to just step ahead into the action with everything they have.
The supporters love the system for exactly the reasons the complainers hate it.

And what was the dev's goal in making this system? You'd have to ask the devs, but I'd put my money on the exact things that I love about this game.

Not after keeping the candidate for 2 terms, because he gains SIX points on total.

Also a WELL MANAGED republic will have quite good Money from trade, can hire advsiors etc etc etc.

Honestly, the most broken thing about the tech system is how ridiculously euro-centric/borderline racist it is.

Trying to maintain a bit of historicity for those who like that is fine. Enforcing it by making people more stupid (or at least less able to advance technologically) the further they are away from Western Europe through massive penalties for being in a non-Western tech group? Not so fine. Especially when it ends up doing things like making the Aztecs, the Chinese and some of the sub-saharan nations unhistorically utterly crap at things they were actually historically quite good at (Administration for the Aztecs, for instance).

First free DLC I'd like to see is one that removes the insulting penalties from non-western tech groups...

Sir please. This ain't civilization. This is about the Rise of Europe, Europa Universalis nothing else. Yes you can argue for splitting up techgroups so Aztecs doesn't have administrative penalties but research with western speed in admin but not the other two. The questions is it worth it for gameplay reasons and eating computer performance and developers time.

Its balanced in the sense that nations that go to war a lot will have amazing militarys but they might not be the most advanced tech wise. Although wars did often drive tech advances.

Sir please. This ain't civilization. This is about the Rise of Europe, Europa Universalis nothing else. Yes you can argue for splitting up techgroups so Aztecs doesn't have administrative penalties but research with western speed in admin but not the other two. The questions is it worth it for gameplay reasons and eating computer performance and developers time.
Great. So the best save of gameplay and performance is to go fuck with ROTW entirely and just have chain of events. Yo happy? Please, if you would ever again think about something like that, hit yourself with a bat.

1. The game is called Europa Universalis after the boardgame.
2. Great maluses given to ROTW nations makes game less interesting. Game doesn't need complicated diplomacy and rebel support system to simulate what realy happened. You can just roflstomp everything with strong army, that you need anyway to not be roflstomped by another european power.
3. This makes playing ROTW and playing against ROTW boring in late game.
4. Great maluses imposed do no't save any performance.

Okay... after 12 pages of comments, and over 200 years of gameplay as a non-European power under my belt, I am ready to weigh in.

1) It does utterly suck that the MPs are used as the currency for EVERYTHING. It creates insane trade offs. "Congratulations. You have quest for the New World. But you still haven't ever gotten any further than the earliest ship tech." Or, "Congratulations! You have made cores of your conquered provinces. However, now your nation is a backwards hellhole compared to your neighbors." I don't mean simple "hard choices." I mean -- "that makes no sense" types of choices.

yeah because Russia which conquered so much territory during its history was a world tech leader in everything. Oh wait... And look at the Ottomans they were once more advanced then Europe and all their conquests made them more advance through the ages.. oh wait..

Sorry but your navy is more advance when you take quest for the new world. Your advancement is in navigation and cartography. But that's so counter intuitive I mean because you can navigate better surely your ships are better designed and have more cannons right? So lets look at Spain and England with the Spanish armada.

The outcome seemed to vindicate the English strategy and resulted in a revolution in naval battle tactics with the promotion of gunnery, which until then had played a supporting role to the tasks of ramming and boarding. Most military historians hold that the battle of Gravelines reflected a lasting shift in the balance of naval power in favour of the English, in part because of the gap in naval technology and armament it confirmed between the two nations,[28] which continued into the next century. In the words of Geoffrey Parker, by 1588 'the capital ships of the Elizabethan navy constituted the most powerful battlefleet afloat anywhere in the world.'[29] The English navy yards were leaders in technical innovation, and the captains devised new tactics. Geoffrey Parker argues that the full-rigged ship was one of the greatest technological advances of the century and permanently transformed naval warfare. In 1573 English shipwrights introduced designs, first demonstrated in the "Dreadnaught," that allowed the ships to sail faster and maneuver better and permitted heavier guns.[30] Whereas before warships had tried to grapple with each other so that soldiers could board the enemy ship, now they more often stood off and fired broadsides that could sink the enemy vessel. Superior English ships and seamanship had foiled the invasion. The English also took advantage of Spain's over-complex strategy which required coordination between the invasion fleet and the Spanish army on shore. But the poor design of the Spanish cannon meant they were much slower in reloading in a close-range battle, allowing the English to take control. Spain still had numerically larger fleets, but England was catching up.[31]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada

So in real life we have a nation that was the first to discover the new world so invested in exploration far sooner than England yet were technologically behind England when England was just starting its age of exploration. Seems to me the system is WORKING AS INTENTED. We have a clear historical example of of this oh so anti-intuitive system working like history did. Seems to me all this QQ is people wanting the game to be EU3.5.

Well done paradox in making a mechanic that works so well with history.

2) The easiest way to get up in technology is to do nothing. Take no national ideas. Never expand. Build no buildings. Just sit and spin, watching your clock as the techs roll in. Yay?
If that is what you want to do then go right ahead. But my goal in the game is not to just have the highest tech. While this might be the easiest it isn't the only way. I don't have a problem keeping up in tech but then I am more then willing to NOT spend my points on a NI just because the bloody light bulb icon shows up.

3) I was able to actually "keep up with the Joneses" in military tech as Ceylon. It's the 1650s, and I have a Military Tech of 20. The best in the world is 21. However, my ADM is 9 and my DIP is 10. How did I do it? I took ABSOLUTELY NO MILITARY IDEAS. That's right. I ignored my military, and ended up with one of the best armies in the world. THAT MAKES NO SENSE. I had just a +1 Mil advisor for the most recent years of the game (once my economy was big enough to support keeping one). Oh, and most of all, I "save scummed" to get heirs that were at least 3-3-3s. Then I had plenty of points to tech up.

Yeah your military was not as good as you think it was because you had no Military ideas. The effectiveness of your military is not solely determined by your tech level. NIs give significant bonuses to how effective an army is. Tech is not the only benchmark.
Also...
"Hello everyone I cheated to get monarchs I approved of and because I cheated, I was able to keep up in tech. Ergo the system is broken because I was able to cheat my way to success." lol. Sorry but maybe if you didn't cheat you'd have found yourself in oh I don't know a more historical situation? But No I just has to be a flaw to the system not the fact that I am playing the game NOT as intended that is the issue.

4) There should be some sort of way to "invest in the state." Colleges or universities. Trade schools or central bureaucracies. Military schools. Some way to get incremental adds to your tech leveling.

Err there is its called the UNIVERSITY gives you -5% to all tech costs. There are building that all make you more effective in the area they target. Fine Arts academies makes stability cheaper which is more admin points which means you get access to new NIs groups faster, which means you can invest in NIs that improve tech costs.

Simply because you can't directly generate more monarch points doesn't mean there is zero ways to invest in infrastructure to make your techs cheaper.

5) Separate technology investments from infrastructure developments. It makes no sense that if you are building barracks that you will produce lower technology soldiers. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Or that if you build shipyards, you will produce worse ships. Or that if you build counting houses to collect money you will have less skill in collecting money. I understand that they want players to make trade offs, but the sort of trade off I was thinking was: should I invest in military, diplomacy or administration, and, if I choose military, then I should develop slower in the other two. Or something like that. But right now, if I choose diplomatic national ideas, what do I end up worst at? Diplomatic tech. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

And it make zero Sense that just because you build barracks you create an advance army. Russia has had one of the largest armies in the world and it wasn't known to be the most technologically advanced. History has plenty of examples of nations focusing on a narrow field being better in this field but in the broad view of things they fall behind. Russia's huge army yet not very advanced & Spain advance in exploration but crappy at ship technology. Seems that it is players complete lack of history that makes them think the system is broken when it seems to be working EXACTLY as intended.

6) In a way, what I'd prefer is some sort of pie chart/percentage system, where you could put money into these different buckets:
• Administrative Tech
• Administrative Ideas
• Diplomatic Tech
• Diplomatic Ideas
• Military Tech
• Military Ideas

Of course, if you have yet to select an idea in one of the types, then you could freely set that set of ideas to 0% for now. And those percentages need to add up to 100%. Then, on top of that, your leader and your advisors could give incremental benefits, like +X% per skill level. So your pie could be more than 100% at the end of the day.

That way, even if your leader was a "0" in diplomacy, if you put some emphasis on your diplomatic slice of your pie, you would still be developing the nation in a manner that makes sense according to its traditional narrative. It makes no sense, even if King George was an idiot, that England would suddenly stop improving its fleet.

Players keep trying to fix a system that isn't broken

You get +3 and an advisor so even if you have a crap monarch with o in diplomacy you can advance your nation. Its just means you have to give up on other things.

You see, what rubs me the worst is that I spent all this time in the game unlocking the two diplo ideas, Expansion and Exploration, and what am I worst at? That's right. My navy sucks. THAT MAKES NO SENSE.

I am sure the Spanish raged at how unfair it was that the English who were not great explorers and didn't have an expanding empire crushed defeated them at sea in almost every engagement. IT MAKE NO SENSE! oh wait...

yeah because Russia which conquered so much territory during its history was a world tech leader in everything. Oh wait... And look at the Ottomans they were once more advanced then Europe and all their conquests made them more advance through the ages.. oh wait..
You are talking as if other countries had a tech advantage over Russia or the Ottomans because those 2 were conquering territory like in eu4, others countries had a tech advantage simply because they had the right people to do work on those.

I am sure the Spanish raged at how unfair it was that the English who were not great explorers and didn't have an expanding empire crushed defeated them at sea in almost every engagement. IT MAKE NO SENSE! oh wait...

That and he doesn't even HAVE to be behind on his navy... I mean not for very long at least. My spain game, first 2 ideas Exploration, expansion, I never let myself get more then 2 techs behind while still getting ideas, and colonising, Now in 1580 I have a huge colonial empire, im way ahead on tech that Im swimming in diplo points, my navy kicks ass, Ive maxed out both those idea treas, as well as quality idea tree, and most of economic idea tree.

peoples complaints seem to be that they want all there ideas at once so they let themselves get way to behind on tech. I can see the temptation, especially with exploration tech where you need basicly the first 3 to start colonizing, but you have to understand that you're not meant to grab all these ideas all at once, its a time consuming thing. You wont be colonising within the first few years of the game. Accept that.

You are talking as if other countries had a tech advantage over Russia or the Ottomans because those 2 were conquering territory like in eu4, others countries had a tech advantage simply because they had the right people to do work on those.

My comments were in direct response to...

1) It does utterly suck that the MPs are used as the currency for EVERYTHING. It creates insane trade offs. "Congratulations. You have quest for the New World. But you still haven't ever gotten any further than the earliest ship tech." Or, "Congratulations! You have made cores of your conquered provinces. However, now your nation is a backwards hellhole compared to your neighbors." I don't mean simple "hard choices." I mean -- "that makes no sense" types of choices.

The current Monarch points system work well to simulate the situations of Russia and OE conquering vast tracks of land and falling behind the rest of europe. Peter is having a hissy fit because monarch points are required for pretty much everything and he claims that "it make no sense" that a nation that invest in Buildings or NIs like exploration would be behind in technology. In fact the claim that you should be more advance in technology for doing these things because you are "investing" in these areas, is presented. yet I showed examples of nations that did lots of conquering and were not technologically advanced. According to Peter they should be.(If you read the whole of the thread I quoted that's his position) I say its a rather naïve view of things as history shows conquering nations are not always the most advanced in the world. I gave two examples of two very successful nations in conquering yet not so advanced. I also showed how spain was a world leader in exploration but had crap ships compared to England in my post.

Again these historical examples can be modeled exceptionally well with the current MP system. ERGO the system is not broken at all.

Maybe it should cost military points to raise an army.

That'll screw over the first hundred years of the game. Rather, it's more of MIL points needs something more useful to spend on. Like reducing war exhaustion and maybe even the option to convert by the sword. (Which would help a lot.)

As it is, I just run with 8 generals and wait for the ahead bonus to tick down.

That'll screw over the first hundred years of the game. Rather, it's more of MIL points needs something more useful to spend on. Like reducing war exhaustion and maybe even the option to convert by the sword. (Which would help a lot.)

As it is, I just run with 8 generals and wait for the ahead bonus to tick down.

Ive had this problem as well, I keep up on mil tech no problem all the time, I spend as much as I can into mil infrastructure, and mil ideas, but once those are all used up Ive still got a big excess of mil points. I guess that'd be a big benefit if you were playing a large militant land nation though. few Mil idea trees, plus constantly inline with mil tech. Devestation.

I feel like what they were going for with that was the use of more generals than the limit, which makes sense. But I dislike being penalized for actions I could have avoided so I rarely go over the limit on anything unless its completely neccessary, never on overextension, almost never on forcelimit, unless needed.

the one issue I do have though, are spain and great britain not supposed to be like france and accept all cultures within there group British and iberian respectively? it works for france, but Ive formed both great britain and Spain, but I don't get the full acceptance of either scottish or any of the other iberian cultures. Its not a huge issue, and I can even understand if it was meant to be this way. Im just curios as to whether it was intentional, a mistake, or some sort of bug.

Last edited:
Most games no matter what country I end up doing these things because of monarch points balance;

Military points: I Prioritize military ideas unless I really really need something from another idea group or I'll be so fat on MPP it's crazy. Especially the offensive tree is very good because forced march is pretty much free
Diplomatic points. This one isn't as bad as military points so building buildings and converting a little culture keeps this guy in check. If you need an diplo idea you pretty much go even up, maybe lose a little tech at start.
Administration points. This one is used for everything, or at least that is how it feels. Making cores, because of overextension this cannot be skipped or delayed like changing cultures, stability and you must keep up in tech to get your new idea groups or you will be full on both diplomatic and military points. I do not improve stability it is simply not worth it, unless you are forced to because of revolts or legitimacy. I don't take provinces I don't have claims on and when possible I vassalize to save administrative points. Picking an administrative idea... GOOD LUCK! :D

There is a few things you can do to help yourself managing your monarch points and here are some examples.
1. Do NOT ever get ahead in tech unless you are 999.
2. Take ideas first so you get neighbour bonus on tech. Saves a lot of points. This ofc is secondary to what you need when.
3. Do not improve stability, if you do you will get starved on administrative points and not get your idea groups out in time so your diplo and military points will get full a lot.
4. If you got the gold replace w/e you got with a tech reducer before taking the tech.

The new system>Old system in every way. No more spamming everything but you have to be clever administrating your country.