• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your Holiness, I have spread the word of our savior Jesus Christ for years. I would humbly request that I would be given the Bishopric of York. I wish to spread the word of God to a bigger group of people. I hope you will entrust me with this honourable position.
Deus Vult,
Father Charles Wells

((To Father Wells))
What a coincidence. Archbishop Tulley has informed me of his retirement. Therefore you may replace him as bishop of Yorkshire.

~ Pope Hadrianus IV
((A new archbishop will be rolled after the update among all eligible players))

((A IC, both characters played by me ML8991, between Bishop John Bourchier and His Holiness Pope Hardianus IV.))

The bright Italian air made a stark change to the biting atmosphere of Scotland and Iceland, as John landed in Rome, coming up the Tiber. John came as soon as the letter came through, It was a great privilege to be called to Rome by His Holiness for any a individual. He quickly disembarked the ship, and made his way to the Palace.

He was promptly greeted by a footman, who guided him to the Pope. They were prompt, and the man himself greeted John as he and the footman arrived. The man was very stout, his black hair beginning to grey around the edges, but he was in good health, unlike his father at his age. The Pope seemed to murmur a prayer, before he burst into a smile that could almost blind a monk a mile away, or so John thought. And so they began, John speaking in stilted Italian, in order to ease the Pope into conversation

Hardianus IV: Welcome my Son, to my holy city, I trust that your journey was well?

John Bourchier: Indeed it was Father, the seas were fair and I was able to reach you quickly after the letter arrived.

Hardianus IV: That is good to hear my son, I hope that you can join me for a walk

And walk the pair did, with the Pope learning much about the young Bishop, and the admiration that John had for the man grew and grew. They eventually returned back to the square, where the Pope called for John to listen and to kneel, and so John did.

Hardianus IV: I hereby annoint you, Bishop John Peter Andrew Bourchier, as Cardinal, should you accept this burden

John Bourchier: I do, your Holiness

Hardianus IV: Then rise, my Cardinal of Edinbourgh, Prince to the Holy Church, Servent to our Lord God.

And so he rose, now amongst the elite of the church. John bid the Pope well, and hoped he could met him again some time, before he sailed back to England, back to home.

It was a peaceful Friday evening, the weather still survivable. Walpole was sitting at the terrace in his mansion, which had a beautiful sight to the Irish sea. His children were sleeping, and he was drinking a glass of Portuguese wine. The sea, it was peaceful and serene. At the other side of the sea, utter hell was breaking out. People making entire factions in government. Behind him, in Ireland there is peace and quiet. No nobles trying to kill eachother. No Owls, Foxes or Wolves. Just Ireland, with the economy recovering from the famine. Walpole was enjoying the view, until his wife came onto the terrace, with the news that she was pregnant. Walpole was happy that he would soon get his third child. He took another sip from his wine, and went back to enjoying the peace, well into the evening...

Gilbert was in a tavern in Manchester. He was thinking of his "to kill" list. The first name was Henry Walpole. Gilbert got the perfect revenge on his fathers sworn enemy. He was going to kidnap Count Walpole and his children. The Walpoles will be on a stake and Gilbert would starve them, torture them etc.

(( Requesting roll on Walpole kidnappings))

((Can we just stop trying to kill Walpole, its getting old. The RNG clearly favors him, you'll never capture or kill him.))
((Hope i am not sounding bitter. Apologies if I am, But I am just feeling bad for him.))

Reactions:
((Can we just stop trying to kill Walpole, its getting old. The RNG clearly favors him, you'll never capture or kill him.))
((Hope i am not sounding bitter. Apologies if I am, But I am just feeling bad for him.))
((Amen.))

((Well Duke Dan knows the chance is low. Personally, I was hoping we would have some internal peace for an update or two but seems that won't be the case.))

Last edited:
(( I,promise, final Walpole killing thing))

Chapter 9 - A Castilian Surprise

In December 1469, shortly after the royal assembly, the Owls became the most influential of the three factions in England with the Wolves being the least influential. Chancellor Huntingdon, a member of the Foxes, announced that Aragon and Sweden were now Englands new rivals next to the despised French. Duke Charles I of Burgundy and the Danish king were no longer valid rivals after they had been beaten down by their foes.

sdYnz7k.png

December was also the month in which the army and navy were being mobilized. A secret plan to attack the Norwegians was in place given that the truce was going to expire in September The commander of the forces had ordered 15.000 soldiers and 6.000 sell-swords to meet in Lincolnshire where the royal navy was awaiting them.
At Lincolnshire, the forces were split into two armies. General Hudson was to lead 11.0000 men for the assault of Oslo while Oliver Talbot together with 10.000 men would depart for Trondheim. By January 1470, the soldiers as well as the transports had arrived at the port of Lincolnshire.

Q84tUa7.png

Before the armies left, the citizen of Glamorganshire organized together with the Crown festivities in Glamorganshire to celebrate the hanging of Arthur Lloyd and Christian Morgan. This greatly increased stability and put an end to the investigations of the nobility in Britain. The passing of the Sheriff's Act also contributed to the stability boost.

5XtXfWP.png

On 1 March 1470, the ships left the harbor of Lincolnshire . Wilhem Hayk had been given the task to lead the royal navy but because he was in Bergen, the navy had to make a detour to pick him up. There was still half a year of truce left with the Norwegians. In late march Hudson arrived with his forces at Bergen, a few days later, England received an offensive call to arms from King Juan II of Castile! This idiotic ruler has declared war on Aragon with the intention to conquer Zaragoza. Aragon, however, called its mighty allies into the war: The Ottoman Empire, Genoa, Naples which Enric I ruled as a personal union, and most problematic Portugal.
Elizabeth debated with her advisors and her son Matthew on what to do. Matthew was married to King Afonso V's daughter Andreia. She was torn because she would either lose Portugal or Castile as an ally.
It was a tough call but at the end Elizabeth ruled that she could not have England's reputation being tarnished by dishonoring the call to arms. Hungary also sided with Castile. Despite honoring the call to arms, the plan was to stay out of this war as much as possible.

kJyN5A1.png

This meant a change of plans. The detailled worked out plan of the commander of the forces had to be scrapped at once: The royal navy under Wilhem Hayk's command was ordered back to Britain to defend the English Channel against Portuguese attacks. General Hudson and his 12.000 men stayed in Bergen because the plan to conquer Norway did not change. General Talbot, however, was ordered back to England and so were the troops that had been stationed in Normandy. The idea was to give Castile no support through ground forces.
In May 1470, the Portuguese sent their entire fleet to blockade English ports. When they realized that English and Castilian ships were approaching they tried to retreat. At the Battle of Hatton Bank, Wilhem Hayk captained the English carracks to victory and sent the entire Portuguese fleet to the ground with the help of his Castilian ally Ramón de Mendoza.

arqPbck.png

In these times of war, chancellor Huntingdon departed for Warsaw to negotiate an alliance treaty with King Stefan I. House Lichnowsky had been ruling over Poland ever since the interregnum. In mid-August, Huntingdon sent a letter from Poland informing the small council and the Crown of his successful negotiations.
The truce with Norway had expired and on 1 October 1470 war was then declared. Hudson was ready to kill some Scandinavians while Talbot was overseeing the forces in England from his office in London.

7sQGHMJ.png

While marching on Oslo, Hudson cleared out any Norwegian scum that he encountered. He reported to have killed about one thousand men. Outside of Oslo, a camp was built to prepare for what could be a long siege. The transport fleet was ordered to Skagerrak to blockade Oslo's port.
Back in England, more and more citizens were telling tales and legends about the late King Henry VI. One of the legends claimed that Henry VI might return to England one day. The people who believed such legends must have forgotten what a fool Henry VI was. Not even Elizabeth missed him. However, a little bit of Propaganda couldn't hurt in times of war.

QEdW9lG.png

Juan II Trastámara's sent word from Iberia to England informing his ally over his forces victory. Most Aragonese and Portuguese soldiers in Iberia had been crushed. This allowed the Castilian army to besiege Zaragoza. Spies said that 28.0000 men were conducting the siege. This seemed ineffective. Instead of besieging just Zaragoza, the Castilians could have sent 14.000 men to Valencia. Words could not describe what a bad ruler and general Juan II was.
Hudson was also making progress: Oslo had lost most of its garrison already due to starvation and he was convinced that it would not take much more to force them to surrender.
A couple of months later, after just 151, days Oslo had fallen! With Oslo under English control, Hudson marched towards Trondheim to besiege the last remaining Norwegian fort where he arrived in June 1471.

kwymgT9.png

The Ottoman Empire crushed the Austrian and Hungarian army that the Battle of Tirgoviste. The Austrian forces had all marched on Wallachia. That turned quickly out to be a great mistake as only a few of them survived. In Iberia the allied forces were winning and by August, the Castilian war goal Zaragoza had fallen. The question was if Castile could negotiate a favorable peace deal before the Ottoman forces would occupy important Austrian cities like Vienna and Graz. The Austrians were at the mercy of Mehmet II who had also triumphed in his war against the Mamluks seizing a number of key provinces including Damascus and Tarabulus.

xv993ov.png

With Castile dominating in Iberia, Wilhem Hayk sailed with his fleet back to the port of Brest where it was to be stationed. Hayk then left the carracks behind to prepare for his expedition. After all, he was an explorer by profession and not an admiral.
The Crown had prepared for Hayk who wanted to find a route to Ceylon three fast ships and some supplies. He left in mid November 1471 and headed south towards Morocco and the Canary Islands. Nobody knew for sure if Hayk would return. Many Portuguese explorers never returned from their expeditions into the unknown.

FlyFYEF.png

England underwent some technological discoveries which led to the invention of the workshop. The fleet was also improved thanks to an increased focus on the Royal Navy.
Meanwhile in Trondheim, the garrison was about to surrender due to a combination of food and water shortages. Less than 300 men were defending the nordic town.

BcvU5o6.png

Upon Chancellor Huntingdon return to Britain, he received a letter from the Polish delegation which stated that Poland had annexed the Teutonic Order in a war. Poland was now major force in Central-Eastern Europe.
At about the same time spy reports reached the capital informing the Crown of an increased Ottoman presence in Hungary. More than 50.000 Turks had been spotted inside Hungary. This was a worrying development and so the Crown advocated the sale of tiles to fill the treasury. A full treasury could be useful to hire more mercenaries if necessary but so far the English Isles were not in danger.

7indEVj.png

With Holland being no longer suppressed by the Burgundians, the country was able to focus much more on its trade connection that reached far into the Baltic. Dutch merchants bought cheap grain in Danzig and Riga. This development became soon known as the Baltic Grain Trade.
Muscovy became a growing force in the Baltic due to its constant wars against Novogord. The Muscovites declared a new war on the Russian merchant republic in April 1472.

zn1wUbv.png

April 1472 was also the month in which the siege of Trondheim came to an end after long 465 days. In contrast, the siege of Oslo had been three times shorter.
With Trondheim under English occupation it was time for peace. Alexander Mordaunt had been given the honor of delivering the terms to King Inge III: Oslo, Trondheim, Stavanger and Sogndal became English possessions, leaving Norway just with the Finmark. With the victory of Norway, England had established a large presence in Scandinavia. General Hudson was allowed to return home to England for a few months. This victory also had its toll on him. Fighting in the frozen Norwegian lands was tough, there was no doubt about it. His mercenary regiments were disbanded as they were no longer needed.

oza2z2a.png

Back in Cornwall, Hudson organized a fest to which also Explorer Hayk came who had some trouble on his mission to find a sea route to India. He had only found a primitive African tribe before he ran out of supplies.
The royal family also came to Hudson's party in which a lot of wine was served. Hudson and Hayk drank and drank until an argument broke out and eventually the first punch was thrown. A brawl was on! Elizabeth decided to lay off the wine for a while...
Approximately a little over 2 years ago, Chancellor Huntingdon had announced Sweden as England's new rival but with the English victory of the Norwegians the Swedish were no longer a valid rival.

LqjeJ82.png

King Juan II's forces let Aragon recover and suddenly the Aragonese had an army of 26.000 men in Iberia. Could they turn the table? Everything seemed possible with such an incapable man leading the Castilian forces.
The French king realized that this was his chance to press his claim on some Aragonese provinces and so in July 1472 his troops began to invade Aragon. This time the Ottomans declined the call to arms, fearing that fighting the French, Hungarians, Austrians and Castilians would be too much for them. Genoa also dishonored their alliance and so Aragon had to look for new friends and found one in Venice.
Of course, Doge Alfredo honored the newly formed alliance and so poor Austria was now also being attacked by 28.000 Venetians.

Jmu2tgW.png

The Hungarians left the war shortly after Venice entered it ceding a province to the Ottomans... Not good.
Hayk, after having resupplied, left for Ceylon again. Maybe this time his trip would be more successful? Hayk discovered an archipelago that was being colonized by Portuguese settlers. He immediately sent word to the Crown."This colony should be taken over" said Hayk.
Portugal used to be a long-term ally of England but taking this precious island was something the greedy Queen wanted very badly.
Hayk's expedition to Ceylon brought him to a new land mass off the African coast. He was convinced to have found the Indian continent.

h8jCCfo.png

PzQKK8z.png

In April 1473 the troops arrived at the Portuguese Colony called "Cap Verde" but it turned out to be quite a worthless colony after it was occupied and so it was not annexed by the English forces. That expedition to Cap Verde was quite a disasters.
Four months later, the war came to an end when Aragon agreed to cede Perinea and Zaragoza to Castile. Afonso V refused to re-establish the alliance. He felt unfairly treated by the English.
Hayk discovered even more islands off what he believed was India. He was convinced it was Ceylon and informed Elizabeth of his success upon his return to London.
Afterwards he resupplied and left for India again with the intention to establish some trade connections.

TGigeYL.png

9uipgHA.jpg

((As always, the save game has been uploaded. In order to view it you will need to download the mod. I created a mod versions without event pictures that you also find on the front page.

Open positions
2x Judge (ML said he will become one so I added him already)
1x Merchant
1x Conquistador to hunt for the seven cities of gold (this means once a general dies we will go from 2 generals to 1)
Ambassador of the Subjects
Synod of the Holy Church

Those who have not joined a faction can do so until the upcoming voting phase ends.
The factions need to also agree on a faction leader by
Tuesday 15:00 CET Wednesday 15:00 CET. Should the factions fail to do so then the Queen will appoint one.
The voting phase is scheduled to start on Wednesday Thursday.))

Last edited:
May God bless your noble reign. I humbly request that I may be appointed as a judge for England.
- Edward Campbell, Count of Lancashire and Member of the Royal Diplomatic Corps

((Letter to the Crown Prince))
My prince, I have come of age and as such must leave your service. I thank you for the oppurtunity and wish you well in your future. Please contact me if I can be of service to you as it would be my pleasure to stand at your side once again.

-Alexander

((Letter to CoF))
General, due to my lands proximity to the scottish menace I request permission to command a regiment of loyal scotsmen to help defend the realm as part of her majesty's armed forces. I feel it is my duty to assist in the nation's defence as a count of the Queen.

-Count Huntingdon

Last edited:
((to Count Campbell))
We have a shortages of judges at the moment. Consider yourself appointed.

~Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine

Edward was amazed. India we found India. It was one of the best moments in Edwards life. He had also heard that the land was uninhabited. Was the empire of Hindustan a lie made by some merchants. Probably not, it was an entire new continent, there wasn't a lot of people living in Africa.
Edwards health was getting the better of him, he could barely walk and he was worried that disease was going to get the better of him.
His daughter, Mary did look after him after Marcus Morgans disappearance. She even had a son, from Morgan, though he had to keep the identity secret, to keep them safe.

"Peter" Edward called, "due to my advanced age, I can not keep up with all the work, that's why I give all of my responsibility to you my son."

"Thank you farther, from what I have heard there is a job for me, due to me being brave. I would like to explore the new world just like you did, becoming a proper adventurer." Edward replied "Well you have my blessing son, good luck."
With that Peter walked out the house, it was a new day. He goes to the post box and writes a letter to the Queen
Due to my fathers advanced age, I will be taking over his role at the royal Assembly.
I would also like to get a job as a conquistador, as the Spanish call it. I would like to explore this new continent and uncover its riches.
I hope that you accept, I will also join the Owl faction
From Peter Andrews.

Name. Peter Andrews
Date of Birth 16th of July, 1442
Religion: Catholic
Traits. Diligent, Ambitious, Brave
Bio: The son of Edward Andrews, Peter wants to follow in his footsteps in exploration. With a son, Peter wants to become famed and exalted in history.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Elected as the New Archbishop to Catholic Church in England and Cardinal of Edinburgh, my how power grows John mused, and so he Elected himself as the Representive of the Holy Synod,so as to insure an appropriate path is followed by the Church.

((John is happy to be a member of the FOX FACTION))
To my most noble Queen, I congratulate you on a stellar victory over the Norwegians recently. I humbly ask that you can accept me, your ever humble servant, to serve you, as my father did, as an Adminstrator of Your Justice,
Yours ever truly and may God bless your most glorious realm,
Your ever humble servant,
Cardinal John Bourchier