• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Join IC by Del, ML and I))

The road was choppy as Ser James and Prince Matthew reached Newcastle. James had given the Prince a basic introduction to Newcastle and the purpose of the trip. But both Prince and noble were grateful when the long journey was over, with their stiff legs and backs. But the pain was pushed aside as Bishop Chaffinch greeted the pair when they arrived.

Chaffinch approached the carriage slowly, wearing clothes unfit for a clergyman but more of the lords of the realm. For he had never been one for ceremony. The bishop opened the door and saw the Prince and his teacher Ser James, greeting them with a warm smile, understanding the displeasure of travelling up and down the country

He told’ them, “See why I wanted someone to come to me for once”.

Ser James chuckled, “Indeed I can my bishop, it must give your old bones a right rattle.”

“Indeed my fine fellow but I think you could manage it after all you are a strong willed man which is why you have been chosen to educate the future of our great nation” swiftly showing Matthew what he meant to Frederick.

Matthew saw the bishop and wondered why Ser James has taken him all this way to Newcastle. He enjoyed road trips but this carriage ride had been quite drab and now he was standing here at the bishop’s residence wondering what was going on and why he was here. “James what are we doing here in Newcastle?”

“Why my young Prince, outside your direct tuition by both scholars and members of the southern court, Bishop Chaffinch has offered to further your advancement, isn’t that correct,father? Quipped James.

“I have indeed good sir” Chaffinch calmly stated, “ I understand you have a theological teacher already your Highness but I am a bishop and have been for a decade so I believe I can help you there. As well as this though I have other expertise such as foreign languages and a subject you have keen interest in, diplomacy. I am in fact a member of your mother’s diplomatic core”.

Matthew was confused that they had travelled to meet a bishop who was offering to tutor him in spiritual matters. After all, he had established a good bond with Friar John. “Yes, I already receive theological advice from Friar John, a dominican monk. He also teaches me Latin, among other things. I thank you for your offer but I am afraid that I do not need your services.”

Shocked but understanding Chaffinch retorted, “ A good king takes advantage of all his advisors and allies not merely his friends. Friar John is indeed a good man but has he met the Pope himself while on a mission from Henry VI himself, god bless his soul, to allow England to gain a powerful friend? If not,explain his superiority to my teachings after all you are as wise as me to reject me are you not?”.

Matthew was deeply angered by the bishop’s reply. “How dare you ask me to justify myself in front of you! Ser James has made the teaching arrangement with Friar John and so far it has worked out well. James, what is this madness? The bishop shows me no respect!”

Ser James was aghast “My father and my prince, please stop. Bishop Chaffinch, i thought you knew better than to insult your future King, and Prince Matthew, I thought I had raised you to be considerate in your choice of tone. Unless you have anything more to say Bishop,” he spat the word the venom, “then me and the Prince shall return to London, should that be his wish. Such as shame, I had hoped for refined conversation for once” he slithered out from between his teeth.

Worried and aware of his position Chaffinch swallowed his pride, “My dearest Prince, I did not mean to offend I was simply curious to why you see my knowledge as irrelevant. Of course I am not used to being rejected like this, as I am a bishop after all even your good teacher came to me in search of help once,” Chaffinch knew where his trump card lay

“What a lot of good that did” Spat James under his breath” But if you do insist on refusing my offer, allow me to show you some sights around this city, there is the Cathedral I myself baptised you in,giving you entry to the Lord’s Kingdom, my ship one of the fastest in Europe or a short boat trip to the scottish border or the infamous monastery on Lindisfarne. It would be a waste of a journey to return now.”

Matthew thought for a moment before replying. He felt the bishop deserved a second chance, despite disrespecting him: “Alright, Bishop Chaffinch. We shall tour the city with you.”

“Excellent would you like to join me and Ser James while we plan your security arrangements or do you wish to head to somewhere in my home. The library perhaps?”

“You know this city better than us both, father, so I shall let you decide where we go.” Coolly replied Ser James.

“I do but I would appreciate if his highness saw he was taken care of while here. After all I have already offended him once, an assassination attempt could only make matters worse. We have all learned what paranoia can do.” Chaffinch recalled the memories of Henry often forgotten.

“I entrust the Royal Guard to protect me from any assassins. Newcastle is not known to be a dangerous town. If the captain of the Royal Guard believes it is too dangerous then I trust he will say so. Lead the way, bishop” Matthew wondered why it was so difficult to connect with the bishop. He seemed like an odd man to him.

“One final thing my Prince I would like to talk to Ser James alone if that is alright?” Chaffinch queried.

“You made me come to Newcastle and now you do not wish to speak to me? Very well. I will go with the Royal Guards to take a look at the state of this town.

As the prince stormed off Frederick approached James, “Ser James you are a wise man and seem to be so polite yet our future King still acts like a toddler. What did I do to irritate him?”

“The Prince likes to be taught particular ways. It just so happens that he like Friar John’s methodologies, and i doubt he’ll sway from them easily.” James tepidly replied.

Nearly breaking down the Bishop weeped “ It was all going so well… So well… but I had to help you didn’t I. Should have left you with the adulterous cow. Now I attempt to piece together my relations with the royal family and some wandering hermit interferes and causes our nation's prince to turn me away despite being educated in far further ways than him.” Piecing together what dignity he had, “ Go Ser James, I have wasted your time follow the prince and see to it he is comfortable I have a visit to make to a land I miss.”

“O Lamb, why doth thee so lamentful, what you did was courageous and you should be proud to have stood strong in your own beliefs. Your people follow you, do not leave them in the darkness of ignorance. Be the holy light to guide them to their salvation.” commanded Ser James.

Smiling, Chaffinch quickly gasped “ You are a naive man Ser. These are times of treachery and deceit, my closest allies would kill me for a promotion and my worst enemies would work for me for a pound. The days of legends and God are over. This is the age of man and even the Church, the holy beloved institution of God, is corrupt to its core. I am a man of few values, yet I feel honest in saying i am the most pure of any bishop in our land. Even that Friar John seems wrong to me. Now please good Ser do me one last favour before I venture on my ship. Send word to James of Huntingdon that his grandson will be taken by me as I wish to see him once more. He will understand.”

“Of course father, now… about that tour.”

“Yes I will need ships and crew. I will send word to the STC that i require ships and men to send a trade fleet to the baltic. Money has always drawn men and will always do so.”

“I was talking about the one around the place, Bishop” James chuckled.

“Indeed I am sorry about that. Take the prince to the brothels and the drug dens for all i care I am tired of this family running our land. You are wasted on him. Please good ser come with me. You deserve better than this. I will send a ship for your children and your wife if you want her. The land of Novgorod is ruled by its people, not an incestous tyrant. please come with me I beg.”

“I must have time to think on this matter, recall if i leave, Friar Bedford will likely take my position. Having given up much for this role, it is hard to decide what is appropriate.” whispered James

“Mark my words old Count, this ‘prince’, this ignorant babyish prince will turn out worse than his father yet will be as unforgiving as his mother I doubt he will give much time for you when he takes the throne of his ancestors. The days ahead are full of warmongers like Warpole, schemers like me, fools like Matthew and tyrants like Elizabeth you will face one one of our wraths one day and it will not be pleasant but remember in the Game of Thrones, you win or you die.” and with that Chaffinch left James standing alone in the courtyard,as it started to rain.

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Interesting conversation,I could see a Frederick is not playing around.Also,Aleck does not have a grandson.

((Letter to Prince Matthew))

Welcome home my Prince, I hope that the long road was not too uncomfortable for you.

How did you find Newcastle? I hope it was an educational stay.

Friar Bedford.

PS, did you get to see holy island and Lyndersfarne?

((Letter to Sir James))

Sir James,

Might I enquire after your health after such a long journey north and let me tell you you are in my prayers.

I wish to talk to you about the lesions Bishop Chaffinch taught the prince. To see if there is anyway I can build on them. Could you meet me at your earliest convenience in the palace?

God be with you.

Friar Bedford.

((Haha, I like the temper on Matthew. He's a righteous little shit that is aware of the power he has and will not let anyone tell him what to do. I'm surprised at the amount of scheming and treason going on, curious to see what comes out of it. Chaffinch has always been a bit of a wild card, but I was not aware Bourchier is in on this as well. And as the de facto godparent of the crown prince no less... Shoutout to Walpole for wanting to escalate a trade arrangement (which wasn't even a dispute) yet into an armed seizure. The man truly is a tyrant and an inspiration. I stand by my earlier observation that he reminds me of Vlad Dracul.))

Reactions:
The English Language Act: Yes
Position of the Grand College (if the English Language Act passes): London
New Mission: Abstain
Idea Group: Diplomatic, Administrative

James of Huntingdon, participated in 6 votes

((Sorry for me not posting IC, I am realy busy atm, because I have to travel to my family again... Hopefully I can write a longer post about James' reasoning to his desicions this evening.))

((@Baron Tanks James is in on what, least to you?))

James had barely got through the palace doors, when the letter from Friar Bedford reached him, he read it diligently, and wrote a reply as soon as he returned to his chambers.

((@Lexgrad ) )
To Friar Bedford,
I am most well, although Newcastle took its toll both physically and mentally upon my person.
I would love to meet with yourself, on matters of education but please visit me at St James's, i fear i can't travel far, given my recent journey.

All the best and hope to see you soon,
Yours truly,
Friar Bedford.

((To Friar John))
It is good to hear from you, Friar John. My trip to Newcastle was a flop. Bishop Chaffinch behaved disrespectfully and even refused to show me around town. I toured the town with the Royal Guards because Ser James wanted to stay with the bishop in his residence. This also means I could not go to Lyndersfarne.
I regret having gone on that trip and with all this chaos I forgot to take written notes, although I still remember the stay very well and it is unlikely that I will forget what happened anytime soon. I am deeply disappointed by the way Bishop Chaffinch treated me. Shockingly, this man has offered to tutor me on religious and diplomatic matters. It seems that the bishop is the one who needs some tutoring, especially when it comes to paying his prince the respect he deserves.

~ Matthew Lancaster, Crown Prince

((The polls are now closed. I'll announce the results soon.))

To his highness, Prince Matthew,

I must aplogise profusely for my lack of care towards your person on our trip recently. I had expected much more from the Bishop, and didn't expect such rash commentry from his mouth. I hope that you can forgive me, and that i can see a way in which to better handle such hostile comments to your person as one will learn to expect these, unfortunately, when Kung. But i address a more dire note. Whilst you had left on your tour, i must apologise again for not being present, as you are aware me and the bishopmdiscussed alone. I regret to inform your person that the Bishop made the most treasonous remarks, calling your mother- our gracious queen- and i quote, a "incestous tyrant" and you yourself as "ignorant" and "babyish", facets i most disagree to,

I hope this gets to you well,
Yours truly,
Ser James

((@Istarsamu ))

To the respectable James of Huntingdon,
I am just writing to inform yourself that Bishop Chaffinch would like to see your grandson soon, so as to say good bye I feel.
Furthermore I hope that we can reconcile any differences we have, so I humbly invite you to join me at a reception at my manor house- St James's in the Capital.

I hope to see you soon,
Yours truly,
Ser James Bourchier.

((At the Royal Assembly))

With an overwhelming majority, the English Language Act has been passed. The Grand College which Friar John has suggested shall be built here in the capital. No other city has the necessary infrastructure for this project. Building it will take years though and first estimate say that the construction costs are high.
The Crown will also ensure that the Royal Navy will be expanded over the next years, even though it is already the mightiest fleet in the Known World. This will continue to hurt the economy, say the treasurers.
We'll also be starting to develop ships that are ideal for exploring the unknown. We shall join Portugal as a seafaring country. The unknown awaits us!

((
The English Language Act: Yes
Mission: Construct a Grand Fleet
Idea Group: Exploration Ideas
))

your Majesty, I suggest to mothball our carracks. This would open the funds necessary for the College and the expansion of the fleet.
- John Walpole, earl of Dublin

your Majesty, I suggest to mothball our carracks. This would open the funds necessary for the College and the expansion of the fleet.
- John Walpole, earl of Dublin
((To Count Walpole))
Count Walpole,
You have been appointed as royal councillor to provide me with useful advise and your latest proposal makes me question your abilities. Have you been drinking a bit too much lately? Let me remind you: We are at war. Have you forgotten that because it sure sounds like it? The Royal Navy is the pride of our country and the protector of England. I cannot have my fleet mothballed while the country is at war. This proposal is unacceptable.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy

To his highness, Prince Matthew,

I must aplogise profusely for my lack of care towards your person on our trip recently. I had expected much more from the Bishop, and didn't expect such rash commentry from his mouth. I hope that you can forgive me, and that i can see a way in which to better handle such hostile comments to your person as one will learn to expect these, unfortunately, when Kung. But i address a more dire note. Whilst you had left on your tour, i must apologise again for not being present, as you are aware me and the bishopmdiscussed alone. I regret to inform your person that the Bishop made the most treasonous remarks, calling your mother- our gracious queen- and i quote, a "incestous tyrant" and you yourself as "ignorant" and "babyish", facets i most disagree to,

I hope this gets to you well,
Yours truly,
Ser James

((To Ser James))
Ser James,
I am shocked about these traitorous remarks of Ser Chaffinch. I have given your letter to my mother so that she can deal with with the bishop. It saddens me that a man of God denounces his own Queen as a traitor. In what world do we live in?
Nevertheless, I am upset that we went to Newcastle in the first place. The trip was a disaster, to put it mildly...

~ Matthew Lancaster, Crown Prince

Last edited:
Sir, I would meet with you this very evening if it is possible. I hope this urgency will give you enough time to rest before my arrival.

Friar John.

My Prince,

This very night I will travel to see Sir Bourchier and get to the bottom of this. I am free at this time or after I return from St.James if you would see me. I would value your words at this time and I hope that my council would be valued by you.

It is my hope that in Gods good chance we together will stand on the shores of Holy Island together and put right every sin of Bishop Chaffinch.

Walk with God my Prince.

Friar Bedford.

((We now have a crime system. Special thanks to @ML8991 for helping me write this system :)
Crime and Punishment

This will be introduced to allow for the appropiate punishment of crimes, whether they be interpersonal, or against the state. There shall be 3 tiers: Low, Medium and High. The higher the crime, the longer the punishment. Crimes will result, if proven gulity, in prison sentences, or stripping of titles, or for the most diabolical of crimes- death.

Crimes in the 'Low' Category include:
  • Petty theft: 1yr sentence,
  • Bribery/Corruption: 6m-2yr sentence
  • Forgaries: 1-3yr sentence
  • Slander:1-4yr sentence: Title privilages removed for duration
  • Breach of the sancity of children souls act: Removed title for 3yr,

Crimes in the 'Medium' Category include:
  • Illegal trading in a region: 5yr sentence and royal license revoked for 10yrs, must reapply at end of duration
  • Theft with assault: 5-8yr sentence
  • Assault: 4-7yr sentence
  • Adultery: 5-10yr sentence

Crimes in the 'High' Category include:
  • Arson of private property: 10yr sentence; revoked privileges for duration
  • Treason: Death
  • Murder: Death
  • Rape: 20yr-Death
  • Witchcraft: Death

All crimes legitmancy, and thereby if the subject is gulity or not gulity, is to be decided by a court composed by 3 players who serve as judges and lead the investigation. This position shall be rotated every 15 years. Judges will be elected by the monarch from a random choosing from players which put themselves forward for the role. The King may overrule any judgement as the court's only purpose is to carry out the Crown's justice.
The punishment may be milder if the court finds it appropriate. The accused may also ask the Crown for mercy.

Characters may now apply for a position as judge))

((Wow, you can be burned as a heretic and now punished in crimes, this is really in depth. Is Chaffinch going to be tried for treason and killed:eek:))
((I personally hope not, is slander just insulting someone?))

((Wow, you can be burned as a heretic and now punished in crimes, this is really in depth. Is Chaffinch going to be tried for treason and killed:eek:))
((I personally hope not, is slander just insulting someone?))
((I always had intended to have a system for (religious) crimes. It allows characters more freedom but also they can suffer the consequences if they do something illegal. Hope you like it :)
Not sure if Chaffinch will be tried. Maybe :D
Slander is not just insulting; it's intentionally ruining the reputation of another character who did nothing wrong))

Letter to queen Elizabeth Talbot

I humbly request a position as judge.

- John Walpole

Your Grace,
It would be an honor to be appointed as a judge in your Royal Court. I may not be the most experienced person in terms of law, but I certainly know when the ideal of justice is being infringed upon.