• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 21 - Betrayal

The day after the royal assembly, King Henry sent Chancellor Walpole to Warsaw to personally tell King Mical I of Poland that England will stand by his side. Poland had protected the English realm in the past, now it was time to help Poland in gaining access to the Baltic Sea.
The Small Council decided with its wisdom to support the colonial nations more during these times of war. Any expansion in Europe would be foolish now that the English realm was at war with the Holy Roman Emperor of Hesse and his allies, among which was Bohemia.

67qXzI3.png

Thomas Lancaster was called back to Europe to lead the army which Henry VII dispatched for his ally. Lord Commander Morgan also ordered Conquistador Cavendish to return to Elizabethia to lead an attack against the natives. He was expected to arrive in Port Elizabeth in about a year. The journey through Anglica was long and dangerous.
Part of the economic and military plan was to modernize the merchant marine. The barque was outdated and new ships had to be ordered to replace them. The first fleets to be modernized was the trade fleet that was stationed in the Bay of Biscay and the small fleet which was patrolling the waters near Lübeck.

kAvZir0.png

A Catholic uprising in Vienna was put down thanks to a nearby Polish army. The Austrians had tried to defeat the zealots themselves but failed miserably. Honoring the call to arms was definitely the right decision because even in this offensive war, the Polish helped Henry VII out. Vienna was saved.
Meanwhile in Utrecht a Protestant uprising occurred. After some debate with his advisors, Henry approved to fund his Brethren's just cause with some ducats. The Protestant faith had to be supported beyond England's borders. Of course, there was some danger in supporting a rebellion abroad, given that Utrecht was a member of the coalition against England. Hopefully, England's involvement would not be discovered.

9HiHTXO.png

kfXGsot.png

Ambassador Edgar Lancaster left for Southern France after Henry had approved negotiations with the Hussites. He was prepared to give them more religious freedom if they would stop revolting. A risky undertaking.
In Poland, Crown Prince Thomas led 22.000 Englishmen against an imperial army. The battle became tricky after reinforcements from Magdeburg arrived. At the end of the battle, about 4.000 of Thomas's men had fallen but the battle was won and the road to Stettin was open.

bgObSg5.png

On 7 September 1511, Edgar Lancaster sent word to the capital that Henri de Treville accepted the King's terms. The Hussite rebellion in France was settled peacefully. The concessions were serve though. It would take decades to convert the French provinces to the true faith now.
Good news also arrived from Utrecht. The Protestant uprising was successful and the Catholic ruling class was overthrown! Oddly, Utrecht remained in the coalition against England, despite the new government only existing because of the funds which the English treasury had provided them with. Such fools.

GjqXitv.png

In West Africa, Ivory Coast Trading continued force-converting the Muslim and Animist population. More rebels rose up in arms. Henry was concerned by the aggressive approach which the trading company had chosen. Despite this aggressiveness, only three out of the eleven provinces in English West Africa were Protestant. Cayor and Gabu were the other two.

PL4HMAf.png

With the economy going well, more people settle down in the Duchy of Normandy, especially in Caen, and in Essex. They all wanted a slice of English prosperity.
On 20 February 1512, during the siege of Stettin, Thomas Lancaster was shot by a Pomeranian crossbow. His corps was brought to England where he received a royal funeral. Henry VII was very happy that his first-born did not live long enough to rise to the throne. The plan of getting rid of him by assigning to him a dangerous mission had worked! Well, the country was not in a safer position. His second-born son, Arthur, was not any better. Arthur was a known bully. Sure, he was not a madman like his brother Thomas but he was a ruthless fanatic. His aggressiveness was shown first when Arthur was a toddler. Back then he used to pick fights with other toddlers. He even broke some noses but he got better now.

nFfcxeo.png

One point that Henry hadn't considered was that the death of his son and heir would give the nobility in the large cities more reason to demand old rights. He accepted their demands, fearing tensions with them.
In the spring of 1512, the synch started to get widely used by the peasantry. This increased production efficiency greatly.
With Lord Commander Morgan in Arica and the truce with Mali having expired, everything was set for a military campaign against the African savages. War was declared on 14 April 1512. Jenne and Songhai sided with Mali. Together, these three tribes fielded a much larger army compared with what England had deployed in West Africa but the Royal Army had no concerns about that. Most of the savages fought still with spears and basic bows.

Onhxrx8.png

At the Battle of Joma, Lord Commander Morgan crushed Mali's army before reinforcements from Songhai and Jenne arrived. A few months later, he took care of Songhai's army.
In Europe, Poland's war for Stettin was also going well. English troops occupied Stettin on 11 July 1512 and a few days before the harbor city fell, the combined forces of Poland and Austria crushed an imperial army in Elsass.
England was not the only prosperous country in Europe. The Ambrosian republic of Milan for example was doing superbly. They annexed Cuneo and Nice from their neighbor Savoy in mid September 1512.

2k7R5nE.png

i6Q6J3t.png

Stettin was occupied a group of very cruel Englishmen who raped Pomeranian women and plundered the locals. They established a reign of terror which created heavy unrest in the province.
Mical I decided to make peace with Pomerania much to Henry's surprise. Poland only demanded a few ducats and war reparations. This was odd but of course it was Poland's decision alone and there was little Henry could do about it. At least Mical seemed very happy with England's contribution.
At about the same time as the peace treaty was signed, Lord Commander Morgan sent 6.000 mercenaries to Jenne which occupied the province after 235 days of siege. Shortly after, the province was incorporated into the English realm.
Eight new caravels were being built in Britain to strengthen the merchant marine in the Channel and West Africa.

ysJCv1h.png

England's long-term plan of retaking the French cores suffered a setback in July 1513 when Burgundy annexed Picardie, as part of the Swiss war against Provence. Burgundy also completed the integration of Flanders into their country which was another setback.
The conversion of Orkney was completed the following month. The Church of England now had a solid presence in Scotland. Missionaries were now sent to the Duchy of Mercia, Marches to be precise.
With Lord Commander Morgan in Africa, the realm was slowly losing stability. In Graz and Kärnten, the nobility led a 30.000 men strong revolt. England was sinking in chaos. It seems that the separatists were trying to take advantage of the situation that Austria was pretty defenceless. Less than 20.000 troops guarded Austria at the time of the outbreak of the rebellion.

lQHmFDT.png

The Austrian army engaged the smaller of the two rebel armies in the fields outside of Graz. Thanks to unexpected support from Bosnia, the battle was won. The Austrian army was led by no general and so it really came down to the Bosnians who popped up out of nowhere.
Giancarolo Spinola sent the word out of Milan that the Ambrosian Republic declared war on Parma! Switzerland and Verden joined Parma in this war but Spinola was not concerned about that.
In West Africa, Lord Commander Morgan's siege corps was successful in occupying another one of Mali's provinces. The war was going well so far and another fortified province fell not much later after 275 days of siege.

0VutihI.png

Lord Commander Morgan left the 6.000 mercenaries in West Africa behind and set sail for New York. A religious civil war had broken out in Nova Scotia and the colonial militia was too weak to fight the rebels. Meanwhile Conquistador Cavendish had arrived in Central Anglica and war was declared on the other natives in the area. All that land was claimed by Elizabethia.
At the Battle of New York, the Lord Commander defeated the Catholic rebels and made Nova Scotia safe again.

jpu6mzN.png

The Anglica natives attacked the colony of North Wellington. Conquistador Cavendish had to fall back to ensure that none of the colonies were plundered. After defeating the native army in North Wellington, he marched north.
In Africa, the Lord Commander's mercenaries forced Mali to sign a peace treaty which was very favorable for England. Six provinces joined English West Africa, including Sierra Leone which used to be a Portuguese possession before the de Avis dynasty lost it to Mali in a war.

BVxUQ7B.png

One of the side effects of the peace treaty with Mali was that the other African countries in the region were not only unhappy but also fearing that England would subjugate them as well. Timbuktu was the first African tribe to join a coalition against England as a reaction.
Wars were also fought elsewhere. Castile for example declared war on Tunis. It seemed that the Castilians had recovered from their losses against Aragon. Portugal joined them in this war. Not much later, the Mamluks then also declared war on Tunis and her ally Morocco.
With so many wars in Europe and Africa, Henry ordered Lord Commander Morgan back to England. He set sail from New York in August 1514.

fRZU9D4.png

The largest battle, so far, against the Anglican savages was fort in Port Elizabeth where more than 11.000 natives from no less than six tribes were killed.
Ivory Coast Trading kept force-converting natives in West Africa. A dangerous undertaking which was now banned for a period of no less than five years. Too many locals were killed in those uprisings.
Another revolt broke out in Graz. It was 20.000 men strong, doubling the total amount of rebels in Austria. The majority of the Austrian forces was destroyed by the rebels. It was time for England to intervene. Lord Commander Morgan would have to take care of them. He was heading for the port of Görz to aid the Austrians in the war against the rebels.

bODGEux.png

In the Caribbean, England's second colony became self-sustaining in early April 1515. More settlers left Britain and headed for New Dublin and New Cork. Others wanted to explore and colonize the large nearby island.
The word spread through Europe that Portugal had fired privateers to patrol in West Africa. What was suspicious about this was that, Portugal’s only competition in that region was its loyal ally England. Why would the de Avis do such a thing? Henry didn't believe the rumors.
Castile's war in Tunisia went quite well and a few months after the declaration of war, two important provinces had already been occupied.

NSgNN1n.png

In May 1515, the colony on St. Helena also became self-sustaining. It was used a naval base to colonize the Cape of Good Hope. Francis MacCork was in charge of the expedition.
Later that month, the first pirates showed up in West Africa. They harassed England ships and made trading there insecure. After one of the pirate captains was caught, the rumors were indeed confirmed that King Joao II had sent them England's way! Henry was furious. It was time to consult with his advisors on this disturbing matter.

yrJcP8k.png

zPTrlxF.jpg

jGjvMZS.png

WIntvCE.png

NutufbU.png

nlNuIU5.png

kitesRJ.png

You shall be transfered from Anglica to Europe as the Commander of the garrison in Calais. I wish you luck in the defense of England

Lord Commander Alexander Morgan

You shall be transfered from Anglica to Europe as the Commander of the garrison in Calais. I wish you luck in the defense of England

Lord Commander Alexander Morgan

Alexander von Vries had fought in Anglica in the previous years, fighting in the tropical environment of Elizabethia, the name still sounded abnormal. His wedding had been delayed far too long due to his deployment to the New World. It seems he was finally relieved of his duties in Anglica, and was even sent to command the garrison of Calais. This was very practical as it allowed him to be near his soon to be in-laws and foster better relations with them. As he finished writing the report on how the siege of one of the native forts was going on, detailing on the supplies needed to keep the troops fed and armed, and the artillery pounding the walls, as well as the losses of men and the list of wounded, he noticed another letter on his pile of paperwork, one bearing a seal that did not seem familiar to him. He opened it carefully and read the contents of the letter. It contained information that the pirates he had heard so much about by passing sailors and merchants were actually Portuguese privateers! His fists clenched in anger at the dishonourable action from a supposed ally. He was filled with rage, but he had paperwork to finish, and a letter to send along to the Lord Commander.

My Lord Commander,

I will respond as soon as I can to the transfer, I have already tasked my aide in preparing my belongings and will make my way for the closest safe port tomorrow at the latest. I have warned my superior officer of my departure on your behalf. I have filed as much paperwork as I could in the short amount of time so as to alleviate the burden my replacement will bear. I will be in Calais in a few months time, should the weather favour me and the Portuguese privateers leave us unharmed.

Captain Alexander von Vries

((Before the update, after the Assembly 1511))

Mathias was in the funeral of his mother, Mary. She was wonderful woman, but now she was with the God...
After the funeral Mathias wanted to talk with his dad. He quickly found him, and started to talk
"Dad! Good to see you again!"

John: "Mathias. Long time no see. How have your life been with Mrs. Anna?

Mathias: "Good. Very good. But I need to tell you one thing." He took a little break "I'm going to move back. To live with you."

John: "With me? Why is that?"

Mathias: "Well, our Majesty proposed that I move back to London. So I decided to come to live in my childhood house. It is big enough for you me and Anne, my daughter. Of course, if you don't me there, I won't come."

John: "What are you talking about? Of course you can move back home! See... I'm very old and I think I won't live long anymore, so I'm happy to see you back here."

Mathias: "That's nice. We will move instantly. I won't go back to Oslo in some years."

John: "What about your wife, Anna?"

Mathias: "She will understand." Mathias wasn't sure if she will understand, but didn't want to tell that to his father. "My daughter Anne is already 12. After some years she must find job to survive. My other two daughters have no worry. They are children of noble woman."

John: "What does Anne study? and what will she be when she is old?"

Mathias: "She studies almost as well as noble children, because Anna loves her almost as much as her own children. I thought that she could get in some noble family's service. She could be good assistant or steward. She knows how to behave."

John: "Steward... Doesn't sound that bad. She needs to get in good job, that's for sure. Should we now go to home? It is getting late."

Mathias nodded. They told Anne that she will live in London for a while. She was really sad. She loved Anna, and her children. She didn't want to leave them...

Good Count Walpole

You invited me to your villa. I will accept your invitation. If you don't mind, I could come in near future.

We need to talk about your plans. You wanted that no English needs to live in poverty. I think that is impossible, but I want to hear your plan.
Also we need to talk about the share you want to buy, and also I have one wish for you. I will tell it when I get there.

Master of Coin
Mathias Northwell

((Some years later, December 1514))

Mathias walked downstairs. He was first to wake up. He ate quick breakfast and read one interesting book for about hour. Nobody else hadn't still woken up. He went upstairs and knocked on Anne's door. "Anne! Wake up! The sun is already high." She opened the door "I have woke up. But I think Grandpa hasn't. Should he wake him up?"
Mathias replied "Better let him sleep..."

Two more hours passed, and John still was sleeping. Anne was worried and went to upstairs. She knocked on her Grandpa's door. He didn't answer. Anne knocked many times after that, but still didn't get any answers. Eventually she was so worried that she opened the door
"Sorry Grandpa. Are you okey?" She walked close to him. But John didn't say anything. He was too silent...

Anne came next to him, and then noticed. He was dead!
"Mathias! Mathias!" she ran downstairs "Grandpa... John... he is dead..."

((Edit: The letter changed to 1511))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Letter to King Henry.))

My Lord and King. I wonder if you ever got my letter. I would like to discuss some religious matters with you (and initially the Hussites too, but perhaps that is settled) regarding France and Austria. If you can't do it in person per letter is fine too. Provided you got the time and will.

Your loyal servant Countess Anna Blois-Rogers.

((Edit: Letter to Mathias Northwell.))

My love, how is you and Anne doing in your hometown? How is your father doing? I hope he is in fine health, God look after his most devout followers. I would also like to visit you, perhaps I could visit you during the winter months? I can bring the kids if you like to. They miss their father as I miss my husband. Also I have started to study the pre Norman England. Fascinating how we were before we were civilized. With love Anna.

Last edited:
((Happened before the update, 1511))

Walpole was looking over his city of Dublin. It was the richest and biggest city in Ireland, and it had grown to glory in his grandfather’s rule. The city had some of the lowest amounts of poor people, but the city was missing something. One of his guards walked onto his terrace and said that there was a peasant in front of his villa, called Mathias Northwell, and he asked if he should let him in. Walpole was surprised Mathias had the time to come to his villa.
He welcomed the peasant into his house, and took him to his working room.

Walpole: “Hello sir Northwell, welcome to Dublin.”

Mathias: “Thank you sir Walpole. You have very lovely villa here.” They sat down.

Walpole: “Are you here to discuss about the shares, sir Northwell?”

Mathias: “Yes. So you wanted to buy the 1 share that is available in the ERTC?”

Walpole: “Yes. I saw that it was available and wanted to increase my shares in the company.”

Mathias: “You can buy the share. Nobody else has requested it. That is actually pretty surprising if you ask me…”

Walpole: “Thank you.” Walpole gets the money needed for the share and hands it over to Mathias. “Is there any other reason why you are here?”

Mathias: “You had the money ready? That’s good. Well, as I stated in the letter, I want to discuss the plan you had in your mind. That no Englishman should be poor or homeless. That would be good, but I think it is impossible.”

Walpole: “Yes. I had a plan for that. I imagined that the local counts, or the English government, should provide very standard housing for English people who have not commited any crimes, at a cheap price, or be it needed, for free.”

Mathias: “Provide free housing? That sounds good, but is not going to happen. Many nobles earns their money from rents. They are not going to give housing for free, or even for cheap price.”

Walpole: “Maybe we can subsidise further innovation in farming technology. This will lower the overall price of food, and maybe make it possible for more families to eat and to be able to afford housing?”

Mathias: “Well, that doesn’t sound bad at all. We could subsidise research of better farming technology. But you know that we are going to help your ally Poland with their war. Also we need to upgrade our navy. But after those we really could give more money for research.”

Walpole: “One thing I noticed is that a lot of food is going wasted during the planting season. Maybe we should have a machine, that like the printing press, can plant the seeds in a less wasteful manner and more accurately than the farmers themselves. This could increase harvests greatly. Maybe we should see if such a machine is possible?”

Mathias: “Machine like printing press? How could it even move? It doesn’t sound that good idea. I don’t understand you, but if you think that it is good idea, you can proposed it to the King.”

Walpole: “It would have wheels and would be pulled by horses, or cattle?”

Mathias: “But how can machine like printing press plant seeds? Please, tell your ideas to King. I’m just Master of Coin.” Mathias was confused by Walpole. He sounded very strange with his crazy ideas.

Walpole: “I will tell it to the king then.”

Mathias: “Good. Well, I had one wish for you, but actually I won’t bother you with it. Please don’t ask more about it. Did you have anything else to discuss about?”

Walpole: “Now you got me interested, and want to know your wish now. But do you think that my investment into improving the live of the poor of Dublin worked out?”

Mathias: “I think your investments has improved the life of Dublin’s poor and homeless. Other nobles should do like you, but I know it won’t happen. Sadly…”

Walpole: “It indeed is disappointing. Is there something you would like to discuss with me?”

Mathias: “No, seems like we have discussed everything. But I would like to see the Dublin. Maybe you know places that I should visit. I’m not here for long.”

Walpole: “Maybe you would like to check out the center of Dublin. The latest years we have tried to make the center more colourful and a nicer place to be. Maybe you would like to the check it out?”

Mathias: “That sounds like a nice place to visit. Well, I will go now. Maybe you want to come with me? You seem to know Dublin well.”

Walpole: “Allright. I shall show you around.”

Walpole and Mathias left Walpole's villa and Walpole showed Mathias some of the more beautiful things about Dublin

((IC made by me and this reindeer I found on the IRC, called Janha.))

Mathias got letter from his wife. He missed her...

Anna

Anne is fine. She has started to enjoy her time here, and has even got many friends. But now she is already 15. I think she needs to get some sort of job soon.

And my father... He died last December. He is with Mary in heaven, I'm sure about it.

And of course you can visit me. I hope you come soon, maybe even this month, if you have time. And please bring our children with you. I want to see them. They must have grown a lot!

With Love
Mathias

((To Anna Rogers))
I have received every single one of your letters but I do not wish to discuss religious matters with a Norwegian countess that I barely know in private. If you wish to discuss religious matters that concern all of England then why don't you do so in royal assembly? Last time I asked the assembly to discuss religious matters, I was largely disappointed by the result.

~ Henry VII Lancaster, King of England, King of France, King of Scotland, King of Norway, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Aquitaine

((A small reminder. The following positions are currently open:
1x merchant
1x missionary
1x conquistador/explorer
Ambassador
))

((1511))

Walpole boarded the ship that would sail from London to Gdansk, the biggest Polish port on the Baltic. Walpole worried that the Pomeranians would spot his ship and try to sink it, to avoid from England and Poland working together in the war, and tried to sail as far from the Pomeranian coast as possible, rather close to the Swedish coast instead. When he finally arrived at Gdansk, he would have to ride a horse to Warsaw as quickly as possible. After a long ride, he arrived in Warsaw, and when he found the palace, he asked if he could enter the throne room of Michal I of Poland, with an important message from England, and he was let in.

Walpole bowed before king Michal I of Poland.

Michal addressed the English diplomat in Polish “Arise, foreigner. Has your lord agreed to fight along-side my men?”

Walpole rose, and using his skill in Ruthenian was barely able what Michal had said, but he thought that he understood. He said in English
: “England has agreed to fight alongside Poland, but King Henry shall not fight on the battlefield personally.”

Michal: “Excellent! Let us drink to the friendship between Poland and England! You must be thirsty after your long voyage!” Michal was very enthusiastic. With England’s support, taking Stettin would be easy he believed.

Walpole: “I am a bit thirsty indeed. Maybe we should drink on the great alliance between Poland and England?”

Michal: “Yes! That is what I just said! Do you understand me, Count Walpole? Anyways, it doesn’t matter. Let’s drink!” Michal stood up and started walking into a small hall in which a table was set. Halfway there he yelled. “Count Walpole! Don’t just stand there. Move your feet over here! In Poland we don’t carry diplomats to the table.”

Walpole: “I shall come immediately, your Majesty.” Walpole walked over to the table in the small hall.

Michal yelled at one of the servants in the room. “Beer! Brings us some beer! Count Walpole, you do like beer, right?” Michal started laughing when looking at Walpole.

Walpole: “I love beer. It’s one of my favourite beverages. Polish beer, I assume?”

Michal: “Yes! From Pilsen!” Michal continued talking with a loud voice. He spoke even louder after a few sips of beer. “So, Count Walpole! What can you tell me about Ireland? You are from Ireland, or not!? It must be sad living in such a rebellious island! You don’t strike me as rebellious!”

Walpole: “Ireland has been more and more loyal to King Henry as of late, mainly due to a policy of tolerance which I had proposed -”

Michal: “You know what! I don’t care much for Ireland!” He starts laughing heavily. “Here in Poland we would hang disloyal men!”

Walpole: “In England we try to both hang the disloyal and take on the problem of disloyalty too, so that disloyalty will not spread. I assume that here, in Poland, you do the same?”

Michal was more concerned with his beer than with the words of this boring man. “Disloyalty doesn’t exist in Poland. It must be an Irish phenomena! How is the beer!?”

Walpole: “The beer is great.”

Michal: “Good! Now, I’ve had enough of your company! I need to prepare the army for war! You can stay here in Warsaw for as long as you like! I have a room for you in one of the mansions in the city center! Tell Henry that I am thoroughly delighted that he will join forces with me to take Stettin!” Half-drunk, Michal stood and walked towards the door. “Take care, Count Walpole!”

Walpole searched for his mansion and quickly found it. He would take a good week of rest, but he couldn’t stay for too long. He still had to administrate Dublin, afterall. He hoped that his wife could take good care of it. Walpole sat down on the bed and took a quick nap. He was tired after riding for almost 8 hours that day.

((I want to thank @delpiero1234 for playing Michal I, and @05060403 for making clear that they didn't drink vodka in Poland in that time, but beer.))

Reactions:
((Letter to King Henry.))

King. Firstly I have wanted to discuss religious matters. Examples are center of the reformation which would be like your recent success in Utrecht, only on a much larger scale. Then it was the Act of Unity, now who supported that act? Only a certain Countess and two courtiers. Lastly it was the Hussite and Catholic rebellions. I was the only one who spoke of it, even when I asked the Chancellor of his opinion about it. How can I discuss religion in the Assembly when none want to discuss it? It seem like they only cared about increasing their personal power during the Reformation and dare not to take further and more radical steps to spread and unify our faith.

So that is one problem with bringing these issues forward. They will simply be ignored even when your Majesty want advice on religious matters or see an act come through. The fact that a Bishop who is member of the Assembly did not speak of the Hussites at all speak for itself. Now I simply wanted to discuss some matters (like the Hussites, which I believe should and still can be integrated into the French Protestant-Church rather than just give them freedoms) but it seem you are not interested. I had some questions and ideas I thought would be interesting for both parts.

Also the Assembly don't have power in France and Austria. You however are the sovereign of both these states, and have power to pass through reforms there. I simply want to learn more about the situation in these states, and give you my advice and thoughts at some matters. Also I have gotten hand of some quite excotic food and beverages from Elizabethia through my son and Africa from the ICT.

Anna Blois-Rogers.

((Edit: Letter to Mathias.))

It sadden me that he is ill. It saddened that I could not attend to the funeral. If you like to I can stay there some days.

It is good that Anne is doing well! I would suggest that she become a nun, missionary or work for the Church. I hope for the best for her, sadly enough it is written in the Bible that bastards can’t marry, and that 10 generations will be cursed! Poor Anne, we can't let that happen to her so I propose that she will stay unmarried.

And yes they have grown a lot. As you are their father I will let you decide what is to become of them. You can figure that out when we visit you. I will also bring Isabel, which is now my most trusted servant, she can stay with you and tutelage Anne. She's become a fine woman and I asked her if she would like to marry. She then confessed that the Captain did not only beat her, but force himself on her! So perhaps you killing him was an act of God, I will therefore forgive you for that and I am sure our Lord and Saviour do so too. Alas that mean she too can’t be married, that and the fact that she is kind from nature on would make her a fine tutor for Anne.

((Letter to Count Morgan, as Richard Blois-Rogers.))

Sir, I would like to be transferred to land based forces. Either in the army or as marine in the navy. I would like this to be temporarily. I earn to do my bid against the heathens, but I feel I can’t do it from a ship. If a war with a European power break out however I will again serve under my current Captain. I hope you understand my reasonings.

Lieutanant Blois-Rogers.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Mathias was reading the letter he got from his wife. She proposed that Anne would become nun or missionary. And stay unmarried. But she was so beautiful girl. She most likely wanted to get married. Even if she is bastard, Mathias won't stop her. But maybe she could become missionary... Mathias will talk with her about this.

Mathias: "Anne. I want to talk with you."

Anne was washing dishes. She was really big help to Mathias. She put the pewter plate away and turned around. "Yes, what is it Dad?"

Mathias: "I want to talk about your future. Let's go to the living room." They went to inside, and sat down.

Mathias: "So, I got letter from my wife, you remember, Anna. She stated that you could become nun or missionary. What do you say?"

Anne: "Missionary? That I become missionary? Doesn't sound that bad..."

Mathias: "I will let you decide, so don't become missionary if you don't want." Little pause "But have you thought about marriage with somebody in future?"

Anne: "Marriage? That would be lovely! I just have not met anyone that I would want to marry..."

Mathias knew that she wanted to get married. He won't stop her, even though she is 'bastard'... The whole word sounds wrong. She is good girl.

Anne: "Why you ask?"

Mathias: "I just wanted to know what plans you have for future. You know, when I was young, I got to learn archery and horseback riding, just because I wanted. So I want that you too have freedom to decide about your own life." Little pause again "But to other topic, Anna and your half-sisters are coming here soon."

Anne: "That's nice." She smiled "But I need to get back washing dishes. See you!" She quickly left. She was so brisk...

Reactions:
((Seeing as I posted the update on Monday, we won't be having a meeting of the Assembly this time because there is nothing to vote on and no player has proposed anything which involved the assembly. There is currently a small council meeting joint-IC in work-in-progress which I assume will take 2-3 days to complete.))

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

((To Countess Rogers))
Let me remind you, that the English realm includes the countries of Austria and France. Naturally, the assembly can discuss matters involving those countries as they are part of my realm.
Should you still have questions concerning France and Austria then do not hesitate to direct them to small council. If you cannot ask the questions to the small council then explain why that is and I reconsider my decision.

~ Henry VII Lancaster, King of England, King of France, King of Scotland, King of Norway, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Aquitain

Reactions:
I have considered your offer and have decided to deploy you permanatly in the Austrian army until I decide otherwise. Their army is currently lacking anyone of distinguishable skill, and your what I know, you can fill this void.

I expect great things from you,
Lord Commander Morgan
I send this letter to offer a betrothal between your daughter, Mariette York, and my son, Edward Morgan. I believe this will help improve ties between our houses. If you accept, I may even represent your house in the assembly and the Small Council

I await your desicion,
Lord Commander Morgan, Count of Calais

Reactions:
((To Lord Commander Morgan))
Your son Edward is, if I recall correctly only ten years old while my daughter Mariete is already 17. I fear that your son is too young to wed my daughter Marietta. My daughter Anne turned twelve years old in February. I would agree to a betrothal between her and your son and heir Edward.

~ Ser Marcus York

My Lord King. Of course France and Austria are a part of the English realm. I am not disputing that. However on paper they are still technically self governing nations. England control their foreign policies, but not their internal ones. Now with the current uprisings in Austria and France, I doubt they would accept with much tolerance that England will also rule over their domestic policies. So that is why I believe it is better that your Majesty make an executive decision and propose it directly to France and Austria.

Now I would first like to ask some technical questions, I have tried to get answers for them before, but never from a first hand source:

-Are the churches of France and Austria under the Anglican Church or do they still have their separate Churches?
-Do they abide to the Canteburian Confession?
-Which decisions have they implenented, and not implemented compared to England?

Now if I get answers to that it will form a strong base for me personally and what I may propose to you or the small council.

Now to the Hussites, I am glad your Ambassador chose to propose to negotiate with them and not consider war the only option. Great minds think alike - I'm only jesting of course. Now as I said I do not believe we should only grant them freedoms. Make your ambassador or a Bishop negotiate with them again. Try to integrate them into the Protestant faith in France. Make it look like the Lollards were the precursors to the Reformation in England and the Hussites in Bohemia. Find common ground as what most of them want is already written in the Canterbury Confession. By doing so we might instead if treating them like heretics and adversaries, make them feel like our brethren of faith and a vital part of the French reformation. I am sure if we integrate them in the Protestant movement we can use it to our advantage to get them to spread the true faith in Southern France, and perhaps rest of France, and make it seem like a popular movement rather than something the English enforced on them.

Then I have also studied the Saxon Chronicles lately. And there an interesting term hit my eyes; Bretwalda. Ruler of all of Britain. Now I have an idea to further the English claim on the British Isles - from ancient Briton, Anglo-Saxon and even Roman roots. If you are interested.

Thank you for you patience. Anna Blois-Rogers.

PS: When this letter reach you, I am with my husband if you intend to reply.

((Hello folks!

Today I announce that The Sun Never Sets has come to an end. I don't plan to continue this AAR anymore. The reasons for my decision are the lack of activity and the strong problems which occurred in some of the recent joint-ICs. Combined, these issues made me come to the decision that continuing The Sun Never Sets is not a good idea.

Now that the sad news are out, I want to thank everyone who participated in this AAR for making this possible. I thoroughly enjoyed writing the AAR the past five months and modding the custom flavor for it. I feel it was an awesome ride and I personally learned a lot about hosting and managing interactive AARs. It was a lot more time-consuming that I initially imagined but also a lot more fun that I thought it would be. Thank you for having participated :)

I hope you understand and respect my decision.

It was a pleasure being your host and GM.))

Reactions:
((And so it ends...))

(( Goodbye Delpiero, it was fun. Great experience as the first iAAR I ever participated in :D ))

Reactions: