• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sheltonious

Major
13 Badges
Apr 18, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
"The Return of Sheltonious"
Greetings old friends, at long last I have returned to the world of online conquest. I apologize for my extended absence. For those who do not know I have been hosting all the campaigns covered in this Multiplayer Section of the forums.

But I was not simply waisting time during my absence, I was coming up with ideas to bring the online portion of EU:Rome-Vae Victus back to life....or more accurately bring it "to life".

"Multiplayer isn't always Multi"
From my ponderings I have concluded that the main contributing factor to the lack of interest in the online campaigns is the fact that there are limited nations to choose that can actually compete with the potential superpowers.

A game will typically end up with 2 players vying for dominance while all the others can do nothing but watch. The Seleucid player usually becomes an unstopable menace, and the nations that ally with them usually end up on the winning side. And when a fellow superpower allies with them, such as Rome, then you end up with aforementioned scenario.

It's basically a contest between only those two players as they gobble up every other nation preparing for the eventual showdown between them. Which is fun for the 2 players, but not for the rest. I myself have been guilty of this.

"The Multiplayer Solution"
I came up with several solutions to these issues, I will list a few.

1. Start the Multi game using the Second Punic War Scenario
(This scenario pits the 2 western med powers, Rome/Carth, against each other right from the start. Seleucids are not as monstrous and start at war with Egypt and a handfull of rebels)

2.Use Inhouse rules preventing the Seleucids from allying with other nations.
(I'm typically not a big fan of inhouse rules but the Seleucids hardly end up taking the historical road in the game, whether they are controlled by the AI or a player. They can really unbalance the game)

3. Or simply make the Seleucid nation unplayable. I personally like to see games where all the other nations in the region are controlled by players such as Armenia and Pontus, etc. I would love to see Parthia rise to power in an online game.

"A New Campaign Begins"
I am ready to begin a new campaign. I would like all interested to post the times of their availability. I am planning on doing it like i have for previous campaigns by picking one night a week to get everyone together. And probably conduct the campaign from 5 or 6pm to 8 or 9pm GMT-5. Once we decide on a time to have our weekly campaigns then we can decide on the campaign start date and and begin a discussion about the suggestions I listed above.

I look forward to once again unleashing multiplayer mayhem. Join me on this most noble of quests, the quest for Global Domination of the Ancient World!!!!!

Strength and Honor to you all!

Last edited:
Welcome Back

Welcome back Shelt. We (which means me and anyone who will listen) were just starting to talk about starting another Rome campaign. I am certainly up for a weekly game. Wednesdays from 6:30/7:00 to 9:30/10:00 eastern (gmt-5) would be best for me. Tuesdays would be ok too.

I've tried a few EU3 MP games over the past few months and, truth be told, they weren't as much fun as our Rome games. EU3 should be a lot better for MP since it has so many more playable countries and a much larger map, yet it did not work out that way. There was a lot of "gaminess" going on in the few I tried, which might just be a result of it being an older title where everyone knows all the exploits and uses them to the max.

Anyway, how to make our games better? I agree that alliances among the big five can result in a quick game. In several of our campaigns, the course was set after one or two sessions. I'm not sure if we should or could ban alliances among the five majors, but I think we should encourage everyone to always play in their country's best interests and to feel perfectly free to knife their loyal ally in the back when it suits their purposes. Of course the stickee will yell and scream about it in game, but hopefully will not carry a grudge into the next campaign. BTW, that was another thing I noticed in the EU3 games: several people were looking for pay back from previous games. That, to me, is a real killer in an MP community.

What else? We could try the later start date that you suggested. I've only played the earliest start date, so I don't know what the others are like. If we have five or more players, we could put Seleucid on auto-pilot and populate the stronger eastern minors (Pontus, BK, Armenia) with humans in the hope of slowing it down. As for Rome, there aren't any nearby brakes other than Carthage and Macedonia, but then we get into unholy alliances again.

Hey Ken and Dan, how ya been? Yea Rome's only check is Carthage, and vice versa. But I beleive the second punic war can go either way. In my opinion the second punic war is more balanced than the first because of Carthage's expansion in Spain.

Not only the does it provide extra manpower but also Iron for Heavy Infantry. A good Egytian player can singlehandedly defeat the Seleucid AI. And having human players taking control of Armenia, Pontus, BK and Parthia would make the East a very interesting place.

Once the Seleucids cease to exist you would have a very interesting powerstrugle.

The Return of Pax25 Romana

I'm always up for a new game, however, I am hosting a weekly game of Supreme Ruler 2020 on tuesdays, which starts tonight, and I have volleyball every wednesday night. We'll see if the Supreme Ruler game materializes or how long it lasts.

I maintain my stance against any house rules. However, since it isn't really a house rule, having nobody start as the Seleucids, or starting at a different date could be a good idea. I don't really have a problem with one player dominating, it just motivates me more to get better, and it is up to the other players to form an alliance to stop him. In my opinion, I think in our games, certain countries have made knee jerk reactions and allied with the strongest power, even though it wasn't in their best long term interest.

Anyway, keep me updated on what you guys decide.

No prob, now we just need people who want to join to post their availability. Dan, Pax, Henk for example.

ehhh i may not be available. see i recently moved and im living off a wireless card.... no real internet. Untill i can get some real internet, i wont be able to play :(

ehhh i may not be available. see i recently moved and im living off a wireless card.... no real internet. Untill i can get some real internet, i wont be able to play :(

That's a shame, I always enjoyed our battles. Everyone else who wants to join our new Campaign post when you are available.

So far Ken is the only one who has suggested a time, on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.

I'd be glad to play a MP game, but my time zone is GMT+2, so I fear it will be hard for me to be able to play with you.
I could play on any day but mondays and saturdays, between 6pm and 1am GMT.

Monday Evenings

I can do Monday evenings. Right now tues. and wed. are no good.

Start your engines

Mondays work for me. As it stands now its just Ken, Pax and me. If anyone else wants to join please post here. So guys you want to wait for more people or kick this thing off on Monday night and let people join as we go?

We need to finalize the time on Monday nights to conduct the campaign. And also the AVC start date and if we want to try out any of my suggestions in my original post?

Start Date: Monday, July 20th

How about starting next Monday, July 20th. That will give us a week to see if anyone else out there wants to join.

Starting with the 2nd Punic War would be fine with me. I've never played that scenario, so I'll give a look this week.

I'd like to play: Rome, Egypt, Carthage, Macedonia (assuming that we are leaving Seluecid on auto-pilot).

Next Monday

Next Monday is fine with me.

I'd prefer to play Macedonia, Egypt, Carthage, or Rome (in that order, assuming noone is play the Seleucids). Although, if we get five players, I have no objection to the fifth player taking the Seleucids.

Next Monday is fine. I am planning on setting the Seleucids on auto pilot if noone has any objections. And I agree the 2nd Punic war start date would be interesting.

So if I got this right then Ken you would prefer Rome and Pax you want Macedonia? I am still undecided who I want. I figure I'll give Ken at least one game where I am not beating up on him so I won't pick Carthage, lol.

Shelt: just take Egypt, go explore the south or take a nap while I whup Carthage and Pax consolidates Greece, and then we will be ready for you.

Politics and Scheduling

Shelt: just take Egypt, go explore the south or take a nap while I whup Carthage and Pax consolidates Greece, and then we will be ready for you.

I have no problem taking Egypt, I can keep the Seleucids in check. I'll let you guys establish your own spheres of influence and stick to going after the AI.

Normally I would target the other players first but with so few of us playing I will go after the AI instead and then perhaps we can have an epic battle later in the campaign.

Pax will need to expand in Greece like a wildman to keep pace with Ken's Rome. If you have some luck against Carthage Ken then you can begin to forge your Empire. My recommendation, go for 100% warscore.

Thats what I do everytime, and thats how I expand so rapidly.

SCHEDULE CHANGE:
Hey guys my hours have changed at my work so Monday I will be working 3pm-11pm. Now I don't know if that will neccisarily be every Monday but I am sure I will be stuck with those hours whenever I work during the week.

I will be off Wednesday this week for sure and possibly Thurs or Fri. So if we do it during the week we will have to be flexible with the days, since my schedule varies now.

Now if we did this on the weekends then I would always be available. Let me know what you guys think.