• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
925-926 For the Good of the Realm
925-926 For the Good of the Realm

Nuyat came to the throne and found Yaroslavl in disarray, Virdyan had ruled for close to 40 years and no one knew what to expect from this new King. The two lowborn members of Virdyan’s Council, the Ethiopian eunuch, Tengene, who had served as the Voice of Meryan and the old warrior, Shoksha, Virdyan’s long serving War Chief, had been dismissed by the rest of the Council before Virdyan had even been laid to rest in the sacred grove. The remaining Council consisted of High Chief Pakstyan of Mochkava, who had served as Steward for the past 4 years, since the death of Nikita of Man, the Spymaster, Chief Ahvo of Belo Ozero, (the brother of a man Nuyat had murdered, though no one knew that), and the Court Diviner, High Chief Kezhay of Vologda, a man who had held Nuyat’s family all but hostage for the past 10 years.

AtKX1Wf.jpg

Nuyat first thought was to fire Kezhay from the Council and use his new position as King and his strong claims on Vologda and Kostroma to revoke the titles from Kezhay. But he did not give into that initial impulse and considered the matter further. First of all, if Kezhay refused the revocation, then there would be civil war, and Kezhay still had Nuyat's two brothers and one of his sisters as potential hostages. While Nuyat now had more than enough men to defeat Vologda on its own, Nuyat was not sure whether High Chief Kezhay could get other Chiefs to join him in a war against the Tyranny of a new and unproven King. Also, when it came down to it, Nuyat didn’t really want Kostroma. He had no sentimental attachment to the place, as what life he could remember there had been one of misery and fear. And while Nuyat was unhappy with Kezhay’s treatment of his sisters, the High Chief had treated his brothers well, whatever his motive, and Nuyat had never hated him as he had hated his brother, Ovtay ‘the Cruel’. Plus, with Nuyat’s inheritance of the High Chiefdom of Merya, which came with the crown of Merya, he now held three High Chiefdoms already, which made his vassals Chiefs unhappy. Adding a fourth High Chiefdom would make that unrest worse. Finally, Kezhay was was by far the most experienced and smartest man on the Council, and possibly in the Kingdom, it would be better to use him for the good of the realm, rather than make an enemy of him.

Chief Ahvo was also a concern, if the spymaster ever learned of Nuyat’s involvement in his brother’s death, it could be a dangerous situation. But it had been over 10 years since Chief Kuuti’s death and Ahvo had never even considered Nuyat as a suspect. The only way anyone would ever know or even suspect Nuyat’s guilt is if Nuyat confessed outright. It was better to keep Ahvo close, in case he ever decided to take another look at his brother’s death.

T3I1XPn.jpg

To replace the eunuch, Nuyat decided to invite High Chief Sarak of Bjarmia to join the Council as the new Voice of Merya. Nuyat chose him not only because he was the most qualified for the job and a powerful vassal that needed to be mollified, but also because he had Nuyat’s sister, Sanal’ka, as his concubine. Nuyat wanted to get to know this man who was the father of his niece, as well as have a chance to talk to Sanal’ka and find out what he could do for her.

KnqSMyr.jpg

His choice of War Chief also had an ulterior motive. Paksyut was a bastard Kardazid, skilled in war, more than qualified to be War Chief. But the real reason Nuyat chose him was that his wife, Teken Bőgü kyzy, was Nuyat’s lover, and Nuyat wanted a reason to keep her in Yaroslavl, without raising his wife’s suspicion.

Nuyat’s wife, the new Queen of Merya, was Anava Pure, daughter of the late Chief Viryas of Mordva and sister to the current Chief of Mordva. Nuyat’s marriage to Anava, had been a major factor in King Virdyan accepting him as his heir and eventually designating him as regent in the last years of his reign. Virdyan had wanted to please Viryas by making his daughter the next Queen, the first Queen Merya has had since Virdyan’s wife, Queen Vezhav 'the Unlucky’, died 30 years ago.

B70Nm4e.jpg

Nuyat had married Anava 15 years ago, before he had claimed the High Chiefdom of Mari and Murom, when the engagement to daughter of a Chief was the best he could get based on his possible claims to a High Chiefdom. The marriage had proven fruitful, blessing them with five children, Tetyava at 14, his oldest daughter, Parush at 11, his only son, and the three younger girls, Kunyavka 5, Cherava 4, and the newborn, Anava.

Nuyat had been faithful for 15 years, though Anava had not, being seduced by Chief Malyy of Hlynov seven years into their marriage, resulting in the bastard boy Kezhedey. But Anava’s last pregnancy had been difficult, so difficult that they agreed on the name Anava if it was a daughter out of fear the elder Anava would no longer be around. But the difficult pregnancy had also meant Anava could not see to Nuyat’s needs, and so when the exotic Teken had caught his eye, he had finally strayed.

Teken was from the Tiele steppe clan, daughter of the late Khagan of the Kirghiz horde. She was older than Nuyat, but strong, beautiful and brave, and he was entranced. Unfortunately, after 20 years of marriage to Paksyut without a child, she became pregnant soon after she and Nuyat became lovers. Naturally, Paksyut was suspicious and soon discovered he was not the father and became Nuyat’s rival.

J4OAFOr.jpg

Nuyat, to avoid the situation he has created, turned his attention to the Conquest of Votyaki that Virdyan had started just before his death, and marched east to join the warriors that had gone to fight the Ashina. Votyaki and Vetluga had already been seized by Meryan warriors, and Khlynov soon followed.

6l6UbSt.jpg

In a brief skirmish at Tynea, a Pecheneg warrior named Tyrach ‘Stone Fist’ is captured. Then within a month, the villages of Tynea and Yelevo are also captured after short sieges.

KvwVBuV.jpg

The Meryan armies converge on the enemy at their main encampment at Naberezhnye and while another Meryan band wins the battle of Pil’va and Perm is captured as well.

The Battle of Naberezhnye is the critical battle of the war. In it, Nuyat comes to understand steppe warfare and is victorious. The rebel village at Naberezhnye had already been captured by the Khagan Khuterkin of Ashina, but he had left only 30 defenders to hold it and they quickly surrendered.

895Fxn8.jpg

Meanwhile, the second Meryan army spares the Suomenusko temple at Perym, as terms are offered to Vakrim ‘the Cruel’ of the Ashina Revolt. Vakrim soon accepts. Nuyat claims Votyaki and immediately invites settlers to come and build a tribal holding and start the construction of a hillfort to secure Nuyat’s prize.

DjClsG1.jpg

jaGOalT.jpg

Unfortunately, the war ended too soon and Nuyat returns to Yaroslavl just in time for the birth of Teken’s son, who she has named Çortah. Nuyat reluctantly acknowledges that the boy is his, though he does not legitimze him. The news of his victory over the Ashina is overshadowed by this scandal and the displeasure of Queen Anava.

VLg17Rl.jpg

It would take three months to get back into his wife’s good graces, she would forgive him, as she was not without sin and they also needed to appear united for the good of the realm, but she would not forget, and also by that time she was pregnant again.

dA12IV1.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
That not forgetting makes me wonder what other marital troubles may lurk in the future.

• 1Like
Reactions:
An interesting setup for the family dynamic! I'm wondering if Anava will survive her pregnancy, what with the last one being so difficult.
Çortah is a good spare for Nuyat, a single son is always a risky proposition.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good lord it's getting like a soap opera with all the infidelities.

Typical of all Ck2 games...It's good to be the King, but other seducers lurking everywhere.

That not forgetting makes me wonder what other marital troubles may lurk in the future.

They continue to have marital issues as Anava has different issues with the current pregnancy.

An interesting setup for the family dynamic! I'm wondering if Anava will survive her pregnancy, what with the last one being so difficult.
Çortah is a good spare for Nuyat, a single son is always a risky proposition.

As mentioned above there is continued strife in the marriage. Çortah is certainly a good option to have on hand if needed, though he needs to be weaned of his mother's influences on his culture and religion.

Reactions:
926 -928 The Four Kingdoms of the Suomenusko
926 -928 The Four Kingdoms of the Suomenusko

Nuyat was listening with growing dismay to Chief Ahvo’s report. The spymaster continued, “I have not found out, yet, who was behind the assassination of the boy King. High Chief Nuyat of Tver is a possible suspect, King Erziya’s death put his son, Velmayka, on the throne of Estonia.”

Nuyat interrupted, “But how does that tie to the rumors you heard about a plot on my life?”

P1QEGNu.jpg

x7zEy3G.jpg

Chief Ahvo replied, “Well, Velmayka was, for a time, heir to all three Kardazid Kingdoms, Merya, as well as Estonia and Vladimir. High Chief Nuyat may have been plotting against all three Kings, and Erziya was just the first to fall, giving his son the crown of Estonia. Now that Velmayka has that crown, his support for the other two Kingdoms has evaporated, no one wants him holding more than one.”

“So, you think the threat against me is over?”

Ahvo hesitated, “Well…the High Chief Nuyat plot is just a theory. King Erziya may have been killed for an entirely different reason, perhaps someone just wanted to end King Virdyan’s legitimate bloodline, out of revenge or for some other reason. As I said I’m still pursuing leads, I have no proof one way or the other.”

“So, if not Nuyat? Who else may be plotting against me?”

“A lot of vassals are unhappy with you holding three High Chiefdoms.”

Nuyat nodded, “I am aware of that and have already made plans that will take care of that. I will be granting the High Chiefdom of Murom to Nuyaksha Yaroslavlid.”

SJVKaRI.jpg

Ahvo looked surprised, “Not to one of your kinsmen?”

“Nuyaksha is a kinsman, though from the wrong side of the blanket. He is a bastard, but still carries the bloodline of Erziya ‘the Bold’.”

“Why? If I may ask.”

“Making him High Chief will keep my kinsmen from fighting over the succession for Murom, Nuyaksha already has a son and an heir to his new clan, though the boy is still young. And, if anything should happen to him and his son, the land and titles will come back to the crown. This gives me a High Chief who will be loyal just to me, without any other ties or conflicting loyalties.”

The spymaster nodded. “I will continue to track down the rumors.”

Nuyat asked, “Is there anything else?”

Chief Ahvo smiled gleefully, “Aye there is something, my King. The Khagan of Khazaria has suffered a humiliating defeat.”

Nuyat perked up, “What do you mean?”

“The Khazarian Independence Revolt has ended, Khagan Vakrim ‘the Butcher’ lost. Many of his vassals are now independent. To the south the Bulçir, the Bori, and the Täbär hordes have broken free, as well as some lesser Chiefs and Khans. Of greater interest to us is the High Chief of Krivichia on our western border has gained independence. Vakrim ‘the Butcher is already involved in fighting another war against Lithuania.”

rsNwsB3.jpg

Nuyat was stunned, the Khazars power had been rising in the past few years with them expanding deeper south into Bulgaria and along eastern shore of the Black Sea. Finally recovering from the defection of the Ashina and Sathisi hordes.

fKKOveM.jpg

“Why am I just hearing this now? I heard nothing from the Voice or the War Chief about this.””

Ahvo smiled slyly, “I have just returned from my trip to Estonia, and have brought you this news directly. High Chief Sarak may have been distracted by the revolt in his lands in Bjarmia. And our War Chief, has more personal issues that may be distracting him, such as a wife birthing another man’s son.”

Nuyat reddened at the reference to his bastard, Çortah.

Ahvo continued, “Plus, they have only been Councilors for a year or so, and I have been doing this for over a decade and have ears and eyes both inside and outside Merya.”

Nuyat looked at him for a second, deciding whether to take offense at Ahvo’s comment, then nodded, “This is very good news, you have done well. Is that the last surprise? Anything else I should know?”

Chief Ahvo shrugged, “Nothing of concern. Chief Pakstyan, the last child of Sinyava ‘the Heavenly’ has died, but no sign of foul play, he was 67, and they say his heart gave out. His son, Tikshayka Ryazan, is the new Chief of Dvina and continues his father’s revolt against High Chief Sarak of Bjarmia."

eTVBL8N.jpg

"And the Norse man, Hrőrekr of Westrobothnia has usurped Nordland from Skuld Freyrsdottir.”

Nuyat waved that away, “That is High Chief Nabtiko’s problem, they are both his vassals in Nidaros. He can worry about one of his vassals gaining power.”

pIeEtYW.jpg

“Thank you Chief Ahvo, let me know if you discover anything else concerning the rumors. We will discuss the full implications of the Khazaria’s change in fortune when the Council meets in full.” Nuyat said as he dismissed his spymaster.

But King Nuyat was not to get any further reports from his spymaster, as a month later the Chief of Belo Ozero was dead. There was no mystery around his death, Ahvo was killed by his neighbor and rival, Chief Terho of Zaozerye, over a longstanding dispute. Ahvo’s son, Reko Tšuudit, became the new Chief of Belo Ozero. Nuyat was not happy to lose his spymaster, but a small part of him was relieved that the dangerous Ahvo had died without ever suspecting Nuyat had murdered his brother.

Nuyat would now need to find a new spymaster. After reviewing the best candidates, he chose Kichay Varakid, the Chief of Kerzhenets, a shrewd young man, highly skilled in intrigue.

O0e5Xcf.jpg

OkmhrXH.jpg

The next six months were peaceful and Nuyat was focused on his family. His wife, Queen Anava, had given birth to a son, who they named Nishkepaz. She had gained a lot of weight during her pregnancy and Nuyat not very diplomatically suggested she should do something about it, but she ignored his thoughtless advice. So Nuyat instead takes Tada Tobyid, a talented young Nenets woman, as his concubine to share his bed.

jmFSmRH.jpg

A3y7Ndo.jpg

1ON6vL1.jpg

Nuyat’s eldest child, Tetyava comes of age. She is married to Briachislav Peremich, a Volhynian refugee who had come to Merya following the invasion of his lands in Galich by the Khazars. He is very bright young man of excellent character, but without prospects, so the marriage is made such that all the children will be part of the Kardazid clan. Nuyat hopes Briachislav will be a good influence on his daughter, as she tends to enjoy life to excess, and is already known as Tetyava ‘the Merry’.

53h5wnu.jpg

The peaceful interlude is broken with reports of raiders in Murom, King Nuyat sends Commander Robin and the Merry Men south to deal with them. They take the quickest route, straight across the Kingdom of Vladimir. The raiders are quickly defeated and driven south, but as the Merry Men try to return north to Yaroslavl along the same route across the Kingdom of Vladimir, they are met by an army. King Kezhapa of Vladimir protests that the Meryans can not simply send an army across his lands when ever they feel like, they must first ask permission and then pay a toll. The Merry Men back down and take the long route around Vladimir’s perimeter to get back home.

fGCMjgI.jpg

The Council had been called as soon as Commander Robin returned to Yaroslavl. Nuyat had been concerned when the Merry Men had not returned when expected, and was now incensed that King Kezhapa had dared to try and extort money from his men.

High Chief Sarak of Bjarmia, the Voice of Merya was trying to calm the King down, “King Kezhapa does have a point, Vladimir is an independent Kingdom and he is of equal rank to you. We should have at least asked for free passage across his lands to relieve Murom before marching through.”

The War Chief Paksyut disagreed, “The Merry Men should have crushed his pitiful army and gone where they pleased. Why do we tolerate that so called Kingdom in the middle of our own?“

Sarak patiently explained, “Our laws and traditions of inheritance, say a man must divide his lands and titles amongst all his sons, except for those titles governed by tribal elections. So when King Erziya ‘the Bold’ died, Dergun became King of Merya and his other surviving son, Virdyan ‘the Lewd’, received his own portion of land and claimed the title of King of Vladimir. King Dergun had no wish to set Meryans against each other and fight his own brother to claim Vladimir, so it was allowed to persist. This is similar to what just happened with Estonia breaking off under young King Erziya.”

Paksyut replied, “I know all that. But it is old news, 50 years since the Bold King died. Virdyan ‘the Lewd’ had his chance to enjoy his inheritance, more than I ever did.”

High Chief Kezhay sniped, “That’s because you are a bastard.”

Paksyut scowled at the court diviner, “My question is why do we still leave it there now, let’s just roll it back into Merya.”

Sarak explained, “We don’t have a justifiable claim to conquer the whole Kingdom all at once, so to claim all of Vladimir would take several wars against our cousins to take it piece by piece.”

With a sneer Paksyut replied, “So what? One war or four, it doesn’t matter, we win in the end. Do you have a better solution? Vladimir blocks the way south from Yaroslavl. Forcing our armies to go around could cause disastrous delays and consequences in a future war against the Khazars. Or do you suggest we pay him his toll?”

Before Sarak could respond, King Nuyat spoke up. “No, we will not pay him his toll. He should be paying us. If we had not defeated the raiders in Murom, they would have been raiding Vladimir next. Sarak, you say King Kezhapa is equal in rank to me. I say the King of Merya is first amongst equals. Kezhapa and Vladimir must learn their place. They continue to exist due to Merya’s sufferance and protection and its time they acknowledge that and pay for that protection with gold and men. The Khazars force lesser Kings to pay tribute and we shall do the same to Vladimir.”

So began the Meryan War to Make King Kezhapa ‘the Wicked’ Pay Tribute. Nuyat called his vassals to join him in the war, but they were not happy with this plan. Six outright refused to join the war, five more were non committal, making no promisies f support, but the other nine committed troops, though some reluctantly. It didn’t matter, the war was decided after just one battle.

mqaPbKn.jpg

In mid autumn, 6,000 Meryans, with the Merry Men of Merya and Nuyat’s personal levys at the core, met King Kezhapa and 3,000 Vladimir warriors near the village of Merya. The battle was hard fought, and Nuyat personally defeated one of his Vladimir kinsmen, Syrka Kardazid, in single combat, a fight that left both of them wounded, though Syrta taking the worst of the injuries.

zRgosX6.jpg

But more importantly, King Kezhapa ‘the Wicked’ was captured in the battle and brought before Nuyat. King Kezhapa was forced to bend the knee and pledge to pay tribute to King Nuyat and support him in his wars. He also pledged to allow Meryan armies free passage across his lands whenever they felt it necessary. Nuyat in turn pledged to defend Vladimir from any external threats. King Kezhapa accepted Nuyat as his suzerain with the understanding that the tribute would only last as long as Nuyat was King of Merya, he would not bend knee to Nuyat’s heirs.

5LkiKvb.jpg

With that the Vladimir issue was settled, with less than 200 casualties on Merya’s side. The armies were all already gathered and Nuyat was considering taking the opportunity to do some raiding when he received news from the north. It seemed High Chief Uoti of Karelia was leading a Karelian Subjugation war against the young Norse King of Finland, King Valdemar of Finland. Valdemar was descended from the af Aalborg Kings of Saxony who had conquered Finland from the Pomeranians 20 years earlier. Now High Chief Uoti was trying to finally reclaim the former Suomenusko lands from these invaders.

With his army barely tested in the war against Vladimir, Nuyat sent word to High Chief Uoti pledging his support. Uoti agreed, though he had little need of help. In fact, Nuyat had barely crossed into Karelia when he received word the war was over. King Valdemar had surrendered.

hUEGsPi.jpg

So instead of joining Uoti in war, Nuyat instead joined him in celebration and as a witness to the rise of a fourth Suomenusko Kingdom, as Uoti Karjalainen of the ancient line of Karelian High Chiefs, was crowned the first King of Suomi. The days of independent tribes were fading, only east of Merya along the edge of the Siberian Wastes were there independent Suomenusko Chiefs and High Chiefs, the rest were banding together in the face of their enemies.

Fo11ONk.jpg

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's a shame about spymaster Ahvo, he seemed very competent. Let's hope his successor grows to fill his shoes.

The Fins could end up being powerful allies or powerful enemies in the long run.

The Vladimir issue has been solved well enough for now, I can see it continuing to be unruly into the future however.

All in all a good update. I look forwards to finding out where our hero's roving eye chooses to gaze next.

A temporary fix for Vladimir, but one good enough for now.

Nuyat seems to be settling quite well into his role now.

Reactions:
It was a very quick end to Virdyan's legacy in Estonia.
Oh dear, a shattered Khazaria is a significant power vacuum. Nuyat better be quick on the draw for this one.
I wouldn't want to be chosen as spymaster of Merya, it seems that a shallow grave is the only retirement plan here.
Good news from Finland. Do the Kardazids have any claims to the title? It might be good to set up some convenient marriages...

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's a shame about spymaster Ahvo, he seemed very competent. Let's hope his successor grows to fill his shoes.

The Fins could end up being powerful allies or powerful enemies in the long run.

The Vladimir issue has been solved well enough for now, I can see it continuing to be unruly into the future however.

All in all a good update. I look forwards to finding out where our hero's roving eye chooses to gaze next.

Spymasters play a dangerous game. Young Chief Kichay starts off strong in the next chapter. The Meryans and Finns have started off on good terms, ut things eventually happen to complicate their relations. Nuyat has Vladimir sufficiently cowed for now and Khazaria's loss will hopefully be Merya's gain.

A temporary fix for Vladimir, but one good enough for now.

Nuyat seems to be settling quite well into his role now.

As mentioned above, Vladimir is taking orders from Merya for now. Nuyat is handling both internal and external issues well.

It was a very quick end to Virdyan's legacy in Estonia.
Oh dear, a shattered Khazaria is a significant power vacuum. Nuyat better be quick on the draw for this one.
I wouldn't want to be chosen as spymaster of Merya, it seems that a shallow grave is the only retirement plan here.
Good news from Finland. Do the Kardazids have any claims to the title? It might be good to set up some convenient marriages...

Young King Erziya was on his own with no close kin with any power to support him. Virdyan's direct descendants are down to two bastard grandchildren. Surviving as a spymaster is tough, you have too many secrets that others don't ever want to see the light of day. As to Finland/Suomi, Kardazids don't have claims on the new Kingdom, but Nuyat will try to make marriages/alliances, but the ambitions of others will complicate things.

Reactions:
928-930 Establishing Boundaries
928-930 Establishing Boundaries

After winning two wars while only fighting one battle, King Nuyat and his men were still looking for a good fight, so they turned west toward the independent Krivichia, newly freed from Khazaria. Nuyat decided to drive the Lettigalians south of the Daugava River, that runs from Toropets to the Gulf of Riga. The first step begins with launching a conquest of Polotsk against High Chief Vykantas of Krivichia.

EpSxbP9.jpg

The new war also gives Nuyat him a chance to see how how quickly his new tributary has learned his place, by calling Vladimir into this war. King Kezhapa ‘the Wicked’ quickly pledges his support with close to 3,000 men. With just Nuyat’s warband and levys, they already have over 10,000 warriors with many more coming from Nuyat’s vassals. The odds are more than 10 to 1 in Merya’s favor.

e5OcQGn.jpg

x3edE7P.jpg

As the warriors begin to gather on the border with Krivichia, word comes that while Khazaria may have suffered some grievous losses, a wounded wolf can still be dangerous. Khazaria has gutted the Kingdom of Lithuania, claiming its core territory and leaving Lithuania a broken, scattered Kingdom. King Rimantas ‘the Butcher’ is in dire straights, his treasury empty, his armies slaughtered, and his lands isolated. Soon enough the scavengers will be coming, smelling his weakness.

pCnzVFD.jpg

King Nuyat is is not worried about Khazaria for the moment, he assumes the wounded wolf will try to recover some of its smaller lost vassals before going after a strong and healthy Merya.

Nuyat receives some more good news, he is already a grandfather at the age of 35. His daughter Tetyava ‘the Merry’ and her husband Briachislav have had a daughter, who they name Megurka Kardazid.

CkTT42e.jpg

Nuyat is still in Borovichi with the Merry Men, when the first of his warrior bands unwisely crosses into Polotsk and engages the enemy. They two sides start off evenly matched, but reinforcements from Kirivichia join the battle first and the intial band of Merya warriors take heavy losses, but then the Meryan reinforcements begin to arrive and the tides of battle changes. Krivichia runs out of reinforcements long before Merya does and they soon are forced to flee the field, but they have given a good account of themselves, and did more damage than the Meryans. But Merya could absorb those losses much easier. Krivishia also leaves a commander behind, Rodislav Slovensky, of an ancient Ilmenian clan that Merya has fought many times before, is captured in battle. Surprisingly, he is a follower of the Christian god, probably a refugee from Merya’s liberation of Catholic Pskov a 30 years earlier.

TrU0MpV.jpg

Vib9X5r.jpg

The siege of Polotsk follows, which soon ends in a quick assault. Four prisoners are taken, including another Rodislav Slovensky, but this one is younger and a follower of the Suomenusko Gods. He is ransomed to his brother, the Chief Ruslan of Polotsk. The other three are children, the sons of the Chief of Polotsk. They too will be ransomed, before Chief Ruslan of Polotsk loses his lands to Merya.

The Meryan armies split up and move west to lay siege to Latgale and Lukoml. These both fall in shor order, and High Chief Vykantas is forced to concede defeat and Nuyat usurps the Chiefdom of Polotsk.

7R1SiUw.jpg

9qL6kQU.jpg

emyw3RL.jpg

As he heads east, back home to Yaroslavl, he learns his vassal High Chief Nuyat of Tver, father to King Velmayka of Estonia, has died while attending to “chamber business”, not a dignified way to go. His second son, Tylze Kardazid, is the new High Chief of Tver.

PEmDhXi.jpg

The acquisition of Polotsk, does not make his vassals happy, as Nuyat personally holds titles to eight Chiefdoms. They feel he is gathering too much power to himself. To appease them he agreed to divest himself of one of the Chiefdoms. But they were not pleased when he granted Izborsk to one of his household rather than to one of the Chiefs or High Chiefs. Izborsk is granted to young Puresh of Man, the grandson of the late Nikita of Man, who had served the Kings of Merya for 40 years as Steward.

XefD781.jpg

Nuyat’s oldest son, Parush came of age, a handsome and brave young man with a glorious beard, skilled in tactics. Plans quickly move forward for him to marry his betrothed, Vardo Aslany chyzg, of the Alan Osveti Clan, she is a savage and a follower of the Sky Gods, but extraordinarily gifted.

xFDBsii.jpg

With Merya at peace for the moment, his family safe and happy, Nuyat finds himself in an unusual position, he is stress free. The worries he had had for most of his life of protecting his family are gone as he is finally secure in his position and he and family don’t have the worries he had in his youth of where their next meal would be coming from. Nuyat even finds himself becoming charitable and sharing his prosperity with others, something he would not have considered earlier in life. He also arranged a betrothal between one of his courtiers Inyava Muromid and young Chief Puresh of Izborsk. And he allowed young Nuyasksha Toke to marry Pekshayka of Udine. Their children would be part of the clan of Udine and would join the bloodlines of Erziya ‘the Bold’ and the original Ashina Clan which had vanished fom the steppe, leaving nothing behind but their name.

ibIpg6S.jpg

3aK1n8f.jpg

Merya wasn’t completely free of conflict. Dergun ‘the Lewd’ was revolting against High Chief Brun of Mockkava, trying to claim his title. Nuyat didn’t interfere as it was essentially a family squabble since Dergun was Brun’s father.

PpcZKTt.jpg

Nuyat’s peaceful family life was interrupted, first by concern for his daughter Anava who became ill with the flu and then word of Bihorid raiders attacking Mordva. Anava was left in the care of her mother and the healer, Tyushten, while Nuyat and Robin lead the Merry Men and additional levys south to drive off the raiders, freely crossing through Vladimir without a sign of protest King Kezhapa. As the first snows of winter began to fall, the Merry Men fell upon the raiders and drove them off in a battle outside the village of Mordva.

Nuyat quickly returned to Yaroslavl to find his daughter recovered from her bout with the flu.

xipdEz3.jpg

Kichay Varakid, his newest Councilor was waiting with news of the Nuyat’s neighbors as well as the latest plots and intrigue in Yaroslavl. To the east, the Ashina horde was at war with itself, Khagan Khuterkin was defending against a challenge to his rule. To the west, King Alfr of Saxony has defeated King Velmayka of Estonia and claimed the Chiefdom of Liivimaa, which the Norse now called Livland. Velmayka was still fighting other wars. Chief Sutemeel ‘the Blind’ of Riga, the former King of Estonia, was pressing another man’s claim for Estonia. High Chief Gedere of Latgale was attacking Velmayka in the Latgale subjugation war of Estonia. Sutemeel was of little concern, but Latgale was more powerful and had a chance to defeat Velmayka. So as the Kings before him had done, Nuyat offered to help Estonia in its war. Velmayka eagerly accepted the offer and Nuyat prepared to march west.

5J26VNI.jpg

cfYjrz3.jpg

But before he could leave, he would face a major scandal. Margareta Dovre, the wife of Nuyat’s Uncle Kezhapa, had caught Queen Anava and Chief Malyy of Hlynov in a compromising position and had exposed their adultery to all of Yaroslavl.

nzVZVKb.jpg

Nuyat dragged Anava into their private quarters, and then rounded on her, “You lied to me. When I found out you were pregnant with your bastard Kezhedey and Malyy was the father you said it from the Lempo celebration, a one-time thing. That Lempo must have willed it. But now I find you are still having an affair, over 10 years later!”

Anava protested, ”No, no, I didn’t lie. It was only once during the Lempo festival and I had been faithful ever since.”

“Faithful!” Nuyat laughed scornfully.

“Yes, I was faithful, until Nishkepaz was born. By then you had a bastard son of your own with that heathen woman, Teken, and you started complaining I had become too fat, and finally you took Tada as your concubine and stopped visiting my bed. I was lonely, and then Malyy came and seduced me again, telling me he loved me and found me beautiful.” She broke down weeping on the floor.

Nuyat stood over her, his fist clenched in rage, but then grew calm. “You are the mother of my children, and Queen of Merya, so I will not punish you. If you are lonely, find companionship with our children or other women of the household. You won’t find it again with Chief Malyy!” he spat and turned and left the room.

The Council was waiting for him when he returned to the great hall. He looked at his War Chief Paksyut, his rival and the man he had cuckolded himself. Paksyut looked smug, reveling in Nuyat’s scandal. Nuyat scowled and said, “Arrest Chief Malyy.”

High Chief Sarak, the Voice of Merya, squawked, “You can’t!”

He continued as Nuyat glared at him, “You can’t arrest him for adultery…”

“It’s treason!”

Sarak nervously swallowed, “It may be a sin, but it is not a crime.”

Nuyat stared at Sarak, his facing growing red, but his spymaster, Kichay, spoke up.

“You are correct Sarak, the King can not arrest Malyy for his actions with Queen Anava, however…”

Nuyat turned to him, “However?”

Kichay smiled, “It recently came to my attention that Chief Malyy is involved in a plot, a plot to murder you, my King. I have enough evidence, so he certainly can be arrested for that.”

“He was plotting to kill me? Why didn’t you mention this before?”

“The plot had not gone very far and I was hoping to ferret out any other conspirators before presenting the situation to you.” Kichay said, looking around at his fellow Councilors.

Nuyat nodded, “Fine.” He looked at Paksyut, who had lost his smug look, “Arrest him. We will have him executed.” Then he looked at Sarak, “No more objections?”

Sarak had gone pale, “No, King Nuyat, he is a traitor and should be executed, immediately.”

As the Council scattered to track down Chief Malyy, Chief Kichay lingered behind. Nuyat looked at him, “I think that went well. Is there any indication that Queen Anava had joined the plot?”

Kichay shook his head, “No she wasn’t yet involved, Malyy was obviously attempting to recruit her, taking advantage of her unhappiness, but I had Margarete stumble upon them and catch them in the act before the Queen could be compromised further.”

Nuyat nodded, “So it was just Malyy leading the plot and Paksyut and Sarak supporting it?”

ltQcp17.jpg

Kichay answered, “Yes, the reasons for Paksyut’s involvement are clear, he hates you for bedding his wife and for giving her a son, something he has failed to do in the 15 years they have been married. Sarak’s reasons are more complicated. He thinks of you as a foreigner, a Mordvin ruling over his Nenets people, he wants independence, he wants control of the Onega Peninsula, and he fears you are still planning to move against him for taking your sister as his concubine.”

Kichay hesitated, “Why not have them arrested as well? Why do you keep them on the Council, men who have so little liking for you?”

“They are both very skilled at what they do and useful where they are. They just need to be reminded of their place, which you have helped me do. Malyy, on the other hand, has always been useless…until now. Have him thrown in the bear pit, make sure Paksyut and Sarak are both there to witness it.”

“You are not staying for the execution?”

“No, I have pledged my support to Estonia and will be marching west in the morning.”

poNjeX6.jpg

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I had to chuckle as Nuyat had his own actions thrown back in his face by his wife. All things considered I would say he was remarkably lenient.

Reactions:
I'm constantly amazed by Khazaria's resilience. Even when you think they're done, they keep getting up again.
A shame about Lithuania, so recently a power to be reckoned with and now look at them.
I must agree about the gloriousness of Parush's beard. He seems a good sort but he seems more apt to serve than to lead.
Oh dear... Adultery and a murder plot are certain to fray Nuyat's nerves. Might the bear pit be an omen of more bloody things to come?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thrown into the bear pit! That's one way to inspire fear in your subjects, loyalty on the other hand... Let us hope the fighting in Estonia goes well.

Since Nuyat earlier crimes were never discovered, Malyy's death appears as a one time thing, rather than a pattern. He obvioulsy had just cause, and as a bear is an avatar of the Gods, you could argue he gave Malyy up the the Gods' judgement.

Estonia's been fighting several wars for a while now, so Nuyat needs to act fast to relieve King Velmayka.

I had to chuckle as Nuyat had his own actions thrown back in his face by his wife. All things considered I would say he was remarkably lenient.

Nuyat bears some responsibility for essentially abandoning Queen Anava and doing his own thing, plus the fact she hadn't yet been drawn into the murder plot, so her crime was just being lonely and wanting some comfort.

I'm constantly amazed by Khazaria's resilience. Even when you think they're done, they keep getting up again.
A shame about Lithuania, so recently a power to be reckoned with and now look at them.
I must agree about the gloriousness of Parush's beard. He seems a good sort but he seems more apt to serve than to lead.
Oh dear... Adultery and a murder plot are certain to fray Nuyat's nerves. Might the bear pit be an omen of more bloody things to come?

Khazaria just won't die. It's hard to kill nomads, as they just keep moving.

Lithuania had a brief moment of as a major player, but then the two largest eastern powers, Merya and Khazaria, slapped them back down.

Nuyat is hoping Parush will follow him as King, but he is not getting a lot of support for that plan from the rest of the electors.

Nuyat isn't by nature cruel, but he is ruthless and pragmatic, the bear pit wasn't so much for punishment of Chief Malyy, but a sharp lesson for Sarak and Paksyut.

I have nominated this AAR for this week's WritAAR of the Week award. Great work on an often overlooked and underappreciated steppes-based AAR.

Thank you for the kind words and I greatly appreciate this nomination. It is gratifying to see that people are enjoying my efforts.

The next instalment won't be ready for a day or two, just had to pop on and acknowledge @JerseyGiants88 bestowing this honor. Thanks to all those who comment and all those who view and read.

• 1Like
Reactions:
930 -932 The Pinsk Purse
930 -932 The Pinsk Purse

By the time King Nuyat arrived in Estonia with the Merry Men and the rest of his levys, the capitol at Kalevan had already fallen to the High Chief of Latgale. King Velmayka had been drawn south by his other war defending against the former King of Estonia, Sutemeel ‘the Blind’, and was attempting to free Laanemaa.

pl202A8.jpg

The Latgale army was caught by surprise outside Kalevan as they had not realized that Merya had joined the war. The 6,000 Meryan warriors made short work of the 1,500 Latgale warriors, driving them off with heavy losses. One of the commanders, Chief Erdzivil ‘the Whiner’ of Pinsk, was captured in battle. King Nuyat quickly arranged a ransom as he needed more funds to support his men in the field and also to escape the constant stream of complaints and self-pity coming from his prisoner. The man was not even gracious when granted his freedom.

mDJuAbF.jpg

With the Latgale army driven from the field, Nuyat turned to freeing Kalevan from the Latgale garrison holding it. While the main army concentrated on the siege to reclaim Kalevan for Estonia, a small contingent of Meryan stragglers began raids into Latgale itself. Five hundred men slipped across the border and engaged a small number Latgale tribesman at Talava and defeated them.

High Chief Gedere of Latgale sent a larger force under Chief Voislav of Drutsk to try and drive off the raiders, leading to the second Battle of Talava. The Latgale warriors were thrown back with heavy losses, and Chief Voislav was captured. He also was quickly ransomed to support Nuyat’s war efforts.

GCKjsxP.jpg

Meanwhile, King Velmayka of Estonia had freed Laanemaa from the Rigans and Nuyat had freed Kalevan from the Latgales and the two allied armies moved south to the take the war to Latgale.

The Meryan raiders scouted ahead and crossed the Daugava River into Selija and engaged a small Latgale force there. The Latgales were slaughtered to the last man, who turned out to be a familiar face, Chief Erdzivil ‘the Whiner’ of Pinsk. Nuyat had him ransomed once again, as it seemed having him lead the enemy armies was to Merya’s advantage.

kswpKmh.jpg

The main army caught up to the raiders at Selija and they joined forces to lay siege to the village. By spring, the Selija surrendered to the besiegers. However far to the north, the Rigans had taken advantage of the allies focus on Latgale to slip back and capture Kalevan, and were now trying to recapture Laanemaa. Nuyat had not agreed to fight Sutemeel the Blind, so that was left for the Estonians to deal with, but the main Estonian army remained in the south besieging Latgale’s capitol at Jersika.

Nuyat’s scouts reported some of Latgale’s allies had gathered in Khazarian land south of Selija, so with a forced march, he was able to catch them by surprise in Nalsia and defeat them only minor losses. Another member of the Kardazid’s ancient enemy clan, the Slovensky, was captured in the battle. This one, Putiata, followed the Shia religion. Every Slovensky Nuyat had met seemed to follow a different creed. This was Merya’s fault in a way. They had driven the Slovensky clan from its lands in Illmenia long ago and the refugees were just trying to survive and adapt to whereever they had ended up. No one offered gold for this one’s return, so Nuyat kept him in chains while he pondered what to do with him.

oOIxj0M.jpg

The war defending against Latgale was going well, so the Estonians had returned north to deal with the Rigans, leaving Nuyat and the Meryans, to finish bringing the Latgale to heel. Selija and Orsha had fallen, and Nuyat had pushed further south to Latgale’s holdings in Drutsk. When Drutsk finally fell, High Chief Gedere had had enough and called off his war for Estonia and Nuyat was free to return home. King Velmayka would be left to handle Chief Sutemeel ‘the Blind’ on his own.

WkmJjl0.jpg

The loot from the villages his men had captured and the ransoms, mainly from Chief Erdzivil ‘the Whiner’ of Pinsk’s purse, had doubled Merya’s treasury, so the war had proved profitable, as well as securing the continued freedom of Estonia.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

After over a year away from Yaroslavl, fighting in the west, Nuyat returned to find that Merya was still a land of twisted plots and murder. But before dealing with that, he first checked in with his family.

His son Parush and his wife Vardo presented Nuyat with a beautiful new granddaughter named Vergava, who had been born soon after Nuyat had marched off to war. Vardo’s belly was already swollen with a second child which would be born less than a month after Nuyat returned, giving him a grandson who was named Orunza.

CW5cprS.jpg

The rest of his family were doing well. Tetyava ‘Merry’ and her husband were caring for Nuya’t oldest grandchild, Megurka, while his other three daughters were still at their lessons. His bastard son Çortah was now 6 years old, and Nuyat decided to train the boy personally. His youngest boy, Nishkepaz, would soon need a guardian as well.

Queen Anava did not come to greet him, so he decided to wait a while before facing her and instead went to dicuss the state of the realm with his Council.

When he arrived in the Council chamber, he was surprised to find two of the seats empty. He took his place at the head of the table and then turned to High Chief Sarak, “Where are my steward and diviner?”

Sarak looked surprised and glanced over at War Chief Paksyut and the spymaster, Chief Kichay, “They’re both dead, King Nuyat, didn’t you receive the messages I sent?”

Nuyat sat back, stunned, “I received no messages.”

Sarak answered, “I sent runners after both deaths, last summer about High Chief Kezhay just a few months ago about High Chief Nabtiko.”

“You sent me a message close to a year ago, and you didn’t think it odd I didn’t even send word about a replacement as Diviner?”

Sarak shrugged, and Paksyut mumbled, “What use is a diviner anyway, who cares if the seat is empty.”

Nuyat scowled at them both and then asked, “What happened?”

Chief Kichay spoke up, “High Chief Nabtiko died of natural causes. The Chiefs of Nidaros chose his kinsman Nenyts as the next High Chief.”

0Sfb381.jpg

“Nenyts? The leper?”

“Yes, he was a leper.”

“Was?”

“Yes, he died a month or so later, from complications from gout. Another kinsman, Kako Samayid is now the High Chief of Nidaros, as of a couple weeks ago.”

“Why did they elect a leper in the first place?”

Kichay shrugged, “I don’t know, maybe to give him some cheer is his last months of life, or maybe just as a place holder to give them all more time in bargaining and negotiating about who the next High Chief would be really be.”

UIzgc0B.jpg

Nuyat shook his head, then looked up, “And Kezhay?”

His spymaster frowned, “High Chief Kezhay was murdered.”

“By who?” Nuyat demanded.

Chief Kichay hung his head, “I do not know. Kezhay's son Uzhara is the new High Chief of Vologda. He is an ambitious young man, but a coward, which makes him a likely suspect in a murder, as that would suit him more than facing his enemy directly. His wife, Kujku, the new High Chieftess of Vologda, also may have had a hand in it, she is a schemer and crazy, and a glutton who would welcome chance to live in luxury. But I have no proof against either.”

NviPY5F.jpg

Nuyat was not displeased that Kezhay was dead. There had been a time when he had considered having him killed himself. Kezhay had been a last reminder of Nuyat’s troubled youth in Vologda, but Nuyat had never hated him as he hated his brother Ovtay ‘the Cruel’ and having him killed would not have gained Nuyat anything but a little peace of mind.

“Very well, continue to look into it. We will need to find replacements for both of them to join the Council.”

He looked at each of the three, “Now is there any other news that may not have reached me, that I should know about?”

Sarak spoke first, “King Kezhapa 'the Wicked' of Vladimir was killed in combat, his 13-year old son Mordvinko is the new King of Vladimir. King Mordvinko and his regents have assured us that they will renew the pledge to pay tribute to Merya as soon as you are free to receive their oaths. The regents of Vladimir have also proposed a betrothal between your daughter Kunyavka and young King Mordvinko that would make her the Queen of Vladimir.”

R7p980Q.jpg

Before Nuyat could respond to that surprising news, Sarak continued, “That is not the only offer Kunyavka has received, King Rimantas 'the Butcher' of Lithuania has also suggested that Kunyavka be betrothed to his son and heir, Virmantas. And even King Alfr of Saxony wishes for Kunyavka to be betrothed to his brother, Valdemar.“

Nuyat nodded, “I will discuss it with the Queen, King Mordvinko’s offer, but I think we will accept it. It will tie Vladimir even more closely to us. The other two offers we will reject, Lithuania is dying and Saxony has too many enemies, I would not send my daughter to either, even if they weren’t followers of the wrong Gods.”

Sarak nodded.

wxGX0qW.jpg

Paksyut spoke next, “High Chief Tylze of Tver has liberated Novosil from the Bori. The High Chief attacked Khagan Buzer 'the Hideous of the Bori while he was already fighting a war to help Khagan Alp of Charsadid claim Alania. He defeated Khagan Buzer 'the Hideous of the Bori liberating Novosil. Khagan Buzer and the Bori are now a landless clan, who will need to live by raiding

Nuyat was thinking fast, picturing the lay of the land in his head and frowned, “He has pushed our borders south of the Oka River, out of the Forest and onto the plains, claiming land that had once been part of Khazaria, this may provoke the horde.”

d3k3hSu.jpg

Paksyut shrugged, “No more than Ryazan and Mordva might be.”

Nuyat shook his head, “No, the Khazars never held Ryazan or Mordva, they tried and failed, though they claimed the rest of the land all around. Novosil is different, it is a fresh wound to Khazaria, and it is still peopled by Khazar clansmen, High Chief Tylze’s ambition may have bought us trouble to the south.”

Finally, Chief Kichay added his report, “There have been two other murders of note in Merya. First, your kinswoman, Valdava Kardazid, has been murdered on the orders of Meeli kohta Sakala. Meeli 'the Heavenly' is the crazed widow of the former Chief of Dvina and mother to the current Chief Tikshayka of Dvina. Valdava was the mother of two young sons. Chief Tikshayka has said his mother is insane and can’t be held responsible, he has her in hand and promised that he will control her and keep her from harming others. However, Meeli was her son’s spymaster at the time, but I can’t see how Valdava’s death benefits Chief Tikshayka.”

Nuyat nodded, “For now we’ll take his word, and so as her Chief, he has the right to pass judgement on her. If she is truly mad, let us hope he can control her.”

ZpmLt5W.jpg

Kichay bobbed his head and then continued, “Chief Dergun of Veliky Ustug was also murdered by an unknown hand. But his death ends his revolt against his son, High Chief Brun II of Mochkava, finally restoring peace to Mochkava. Also, with his father's death, Brun inherits Veliky Ustug.”

Nuyat considered for a moment, “The death of Dergun ‘the Lewd’ is no great loss to our clan or our Kingdom, and one death ending a useless war is a bargain. I think we will let the matter lie.”

2fIRSEm.jpg

With that, Nuyat dismissed the Council and left the Council chamber.

Over the next few days, the betrothal of Kunyavka to King Mordvinko was agreed to and two new candidates were found to fill the empty Council seats. The new diviner was a lowborn man named Tyushten, he was an esteemed scholar who had originally joined Nuyat’s household as a healer. The best candidate to become the new Steward was Chief Saksa of Mordva, son of the late Viryas Pure, King Virdyan's closest confidante.

bNsyQiZ.jpg

EQKNLmb.jpg

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The marriage with King Mordvinko is welcome news, close dynastic links with Vladimir can be nothing but good. On the other hand the absolute glut of murders while the boss was away is not good at all, that sort of thing can make a monarch look weak you know...

More land on the plains bodes ill for peace in the south. I know you have been trying go avoid leaving the forests but a buffer zone might be prudent if your vassals are simply going to expand there anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So a successful war, a fair few missed messages, and some domestic sorting out needed.

I think a war with Khazaria is coming sooner or later. This move by his vassal may provoke it sooner, but for Merya to continue to grew the Khazars must be tamed.

Reactions:
I had to chuckle at Erdzivil 'the Whiner' being caught and released only to be caught again.
Kunyavka seems to have a strong enough character to rein in Vladimir, especially given King Mordvinko's laid-back nature.

• 1Like
Reactions: