• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Take your time, we (al least i) arent going anywhere.

Part 10 - The Start of a Breakthrough
Part 10 - The Start of a Breakthrough

Watana's and Nagata's combined operation and Operation Doorstep

In the beginning of May, Watana, commander of the 2 Kita-Shina Homengun, and Nagata, commander of the Special Opearation Command, had planned an offensive and were ready to launch it. They planned to strike south of the enemies holding the coastline and cut them of from the other Chinese forces. The operation would take a few months and it would both succeed and not. The amphibious landing of the 2nd Marine Division west of Guangrao, in Kenli, continued and also the attack on Weifang. It took a while before Watana ordered Shimoda's infantry division to turn it's attention to the operation instead of the attack westwards though. The 48th and 50th Infantry Divisions finally started an attack eastwards, along the coastline to reach the marines in Kenli, on the 6th of May. The enemies were pushed back in the evening a day later. Some communist partisans on the peninsula were dealt with on the 16th, but everything else continued like before. In the end of May, a second naval invasion, at Shanghai, was starting to be prepared. The goal of the operation, called Operation Doorstep, was to seize the important city of Shanghai and the Chinese capital Nanjing and divert enemy troops away from the northern front.

Ho_I3_1427.png

At the time when the operation began though, Nanjing would no longer the Chinese capital. It had been changed to a city in the west. Maj. general Chida and the 45th Infantry Division was attacked in Cangzhou on the 21st, when 81.000 Chinese soldiers tried to cut off the 48th and 50th Divisions from Watana's HQ in northwest. The final outcast of Operation Doorstep was finished in the afternoon the same day. The 2nd Marine Division abandoned it's amphibious assault on Kenli on the 23rd, to instead prepare for the upcoming operation in the south. Shimoda and Tanabe also withdrew from the area and the battle ended with 564 Japanese losses and 5108 Chinese. Shimoda instead turned west and tried to stop the Chinese attack on Cangzhou. His attack was supported by Tanabe's 50th Division. The attack to hold the Chinese in Guangrao ended on the 25th and the Chinese lost 8400 men. The Japanese casualties were only a fourth of those numbers. The 2nd Marine Division left the harbour in Korea on the 2nd of June and was transported to the Chinese coast. Operation Doorstep would beginn within a few days. The marines, led by Maj. general Tada Saita, began to land in Dafeng on the 5th of June and after midnight to the 6th, the division had seized the area. On the 6th of June 1938, the Japanese breakthrough in China had begun.

Ho_I3_1476.png

The War In The West - Success At Last

On the 1st of May, 11.000 Chinese soldiers attacked the 23.000 Japanese men in Qahar. That kind of attacks was starting to get annoying for Kawagishi, commander of the 16 Gundan (a corps), which included all the infantry units in the area. Those attacks only slowed down the Japanese advance and could absolutely not be won by the Chinese. Some communist partisans rose up in Jining on the 2nd and it was the first serious threat by partisans that far in the war. They caused supply problems for the Japanese units in the province and those problems stayed even after the partisans had been defeated. Other enemy forces used this opportunity and attacked. The defence of Jining was led by Maj. general Ogawa Kaita. One of the infantry divisions that participated, the 19th Division, had been severly weakened because of the tough fighting the last weeks. The other units though, were still quite strong.
The battle for Hohhot was won on the 13th and the casualties were once again much smaller on the Japanese side.

Ho_I3_1392.png

The battle for Qahar ended on the 20th and Kawagishi's forces could freely advance to occupy Hohhot. The Chinese started to put more and more pressure on Jining, but it was the wrong location to concentrate their efforts when the Japanese were about to win a major victory in Hohhot. When the intelligence service reported that forces in the area that soon would be incircled were moving south, the 1st Armoured Division and the 4th Cavalry Division attacked Siziwang Qi to hold the enemies there a while more.
The forces in Jining became weaker and weaker and there was almost no organisation left in Ogawa's forces on the 23rd. The absolute last resistance in Hohhot ended on the 25th and the area was secured. A lot of Chinese divisions where doomed in the north because of the bad infrastructure. The success had come to a heavy price though, as the diversion attack had costed Japan a bit more than 2000 men within a few days.

Ho_I3_1446.png

The cavalry and armoured divisions were instantly attacked by three divisions. The defence was supported by a Manchurian militia division. The Chinese soon noticed that the Japanese were stronger than expected and cancelled the attack. Ogawa and his men withdrew north from Jining on the 26th, because they could no longer put up an organised defence. A Chinese infantry division that had attacked Shangdu for a few days was defeated on the 2nd of June, losing almost half its numbers.

Other Things

On the 9th of May, the Japanese airforce failed to intercept two Chinese bombers over Nagasaki, as no bombing attepts were expected. Luckily though, the aircrafts only dropped leaflets and then returned home.

Ho_I3_1379.png

On the 14th, Germany annexed Austria and two days later they demanded the Sudetenland from Czeckoslovakia. A licence for building german equipment for motorised divisions was bought on the 20th. Equipment for 2 regiments was allowed to be produced. These motorised regiments would together with the german-equiped armoured regiments be the core of two armoured divisions. The Republicans in Spain were making gains in Galicia, but the Nationalists were winning in the east.

Ho_I3_1415.png

A great war analysis was completed on the 24th and the the civil defence saw improvements to. Closer to the end of the month, armoured units started to recieve better training. The armoured unit command was also improved on the 3rd of June. An Imperial War Ministry was created on the same day.

Ho_I3_1468.png

Important Positions:
Kwantung Theater, Chief of Army, Chief of Staff: Kanin Kotohito
China Front: Tojo
The Special Operation Command: Nagata
Kwantung Army: Aizawa Takase
Kita-Shina Homengun: Abe
2 Kita-Shina Homengun: Watana
3rd Army: Hata
1st Armoured Division: Ochi Yuuichi
1st Marine Division: Tanaka

Reactions:
A succesful landing on the coast and further bloodletting in the north. Despite horrendous casualties the enemy does not give up. But maybe this invasion force can cut the enemy numbers down a bit more.
Would another invasion further south help to distract more Chinese units from the main front? Some mobile Japanese divisions harrassing the ghangzhou region could do some serious damage, I imagine. Its better than endless frontal attacks that go nowhere and might even let you surround some enemies piecemeal?

they drooped leaflets on Nagasaki? I've never seen that event fire and I don't understand it at all.

You have a huge ammount of slow gun battleships that you can use to create 1 division beachheads further south to draw back even more divisions. attacking along the coast basicaly gives you free 50% penalty to the chinese units.

Thanks for the advice, I will think about the navy in the future, as they don't really have something else to do at the moment. Also, it's very nice that you told me what bonus it gives, because I don't know the exact numbers you get from special maneuvers and smaller operations. :) Next part will be uploaded on friday! :)

Part 11 - Two Months of Success
Part 11 - Two Months Of Success

The Shanghai Front - The Early Stages Of An Invasion

The 2nd Marine Division seized the port in Nantong late on the 8th of June and Lt. general Fujie's 25 Homengun quickly arrived to support Tada's marines. The 70th and 71st Infantry Divisions advanced west and the 31st moved north to fend off arriving Chinese forces. The enemies had reacted faster than the Japanese high command had hoped. The marine division embarked again on another amphibious operation, south of Shanghai. When the forces had secured the landing area, they found the important city defenceless and easily entered it. Lt. general Obata and the 26 Homengun reinforced Shanghai on the 12th.

Ho_I3_1489.png

His forces quickly marched west. Only a few militia units were able to put up some resistance, but they held out for quite some time. On the 16th, for the third time in ten days, the marine division made another invasion even further south. Lt. general Akita Izumi and his 10 Homengun arrived there on the 28th after some delay. The 60th and 68th divisions advanced west and the 69th marched south to stop some advancing Chinese forces. The invasion forces saw a large-scaled reorganistation on the 4th of July, when the Naka Shina Homengun was formed. The new army HQ was established in Shanghai and General. Hata was re-deployed from the 3rd Army to instead command this new one, which actually included the same units.

Ho_I3_1533.png

The 3rd Army's new commander was General Shima, a quite average skilled leader, but the army only had the 2 Homengun left (ca 35.000 men). Some forces that had been incircled right west of Shanghai got crushed by the Japanese on the 8th of July. As more and more Chinese reinforcements began to arrive, the Japanese forces took a more defensive stance and used the fortifications they had seized undefended earlier. The 3rd Army was transported to the southern invasion area, which was not yet connected to the ones north of them. General Shima was supposed to command the forces, create a solid front and advance west. It was a hard task, as he had to attack through mountains, the worst terrain to fight in. By the beginning of August, all of the invasion forces had bogged down, but they had done their job. The Chinese northern front was collapsing and resistance was weak.

Ho_I3_565.png

The Shandong Peninsula and Watana's Forces - A Breakthrough

The Battle of Cangzhou ended on the 17th of June with huge differences in casualties, 95 Japanese and 7172 Chinese. This made it possible for Chida Tsuguo's 45th Division to join the attack south, into Dezhou. A massive slaughter ended on the 21st in Weifang, when the Chinese finally abandoned the province. Ca 9500 of 66.800 Japanese soldiers had lost their lives during the struggle. Their enemies lost 25.400 of 184.000 soldiers, which meant that the Chinese casualties were higher seen to numbers, but lower seen as a percentage of the participating troops.

Ho_I3_1504.png

Only a day later, the enemies in Dezhou broke and fled, after suffering 5000 more casualties than the attackers. The Japanese intelligence service started to notice large-scaled troop movements in the area between Nagata's and Watana's forces. Those movements were an evacuation to save the troops from a possible incirlement. The 1st Cavalry Division and 8th Light Division marched west from Weifang on the 25th and only faced a few almost fragmented divisions. The 8th "Cedar" and 9th "Warrior" Divisions moved south along the coast on the 26th, facing only two cavalry divisions which tried to delay them. The resistance broke within hours. The cavalry and light infantry managed to defeat the enemies in Zibo on the 30th, which meant that a lot of Chinese divisions were threatened to become incircled along the coast.

Ho_I3_1524.png

They continued the attack on the 4th of July, reinforced by the 7th Cavalry Division. The hope was to probably surround at least 50.000 Chinese soldiers, but the troops in Huantai held out very well. Shimoda Tatsuma's 48th Division joined in from the west on the 16th, but then most of the enemy units had already been evacuated. The 52nd Infantry Division, which had moved into Guangrao when the enemies withdrew from the province, started to put pressure on the retreating Chinese units. The 3rd and 5th Marine Divisions, which formed the center of Nagata's army, also started to advance west, using the disorganisation on the Chinese side. The troops in Huantai withdrew on the 19th, after almost two weeks of fighting. The same day, only a few hours later, Watana's and Nagata's armies were finally connected by land. The 51st and 52nd Infantry Divisions from the Special Operation Command had met Tanabe's 50th Division each other's in Kenli. This would make cooperation between the two forces much easier.

Ho_I3_1572.png

By the end of July, the "Warrior" Division had turned west, leaving the "Cedar" Division to defend against forces from the south. A counterattack against Beiping totally failed and the Chinese lost half of their 8800 participating soldiers. The war was absolutely in favour of Japan now, as the Chinese no longer had the concentrade numerical superiority from Beiping and Tianjin anymore. Their forces were scattered along the front and the Japanese could easily beat their counterparts if the numbers were equal.

The War In The West - The Bitter Fight For Siziwang Qi

June passed without any important events in the west, but an infantry division attacked Hohhot from the south on the 5th of July. It was a half-hearted attempt to save the surrounded troops in the north. The battle dragged on for a week and the Chinese lost 12% of their men. The Japanese forces had been waiting for the incircled troops to start lacking supplies, but finally attacked Siziwang Qi in the evening of the 11th. Almost half of the defenders weren't capable of fighting. The forces which could fight though, would hold their positions very well for a long time.

Ho_I3_1552.png

The province of Xuanhua, bordering the Chinese Republic to the south and the warlord state Shanxi to the west, was attacked on the 14th. The Chinese commander was the same as in Beiping, Li Zongren, but he wasn't doing very well. He had been field marshal in Beiping, but was now only leader of a few infantry divisions and some communist militia. Xuanhua was defended by the 7th Cavalry Division and the 3rd Infantry Division. The 1st Cavalry Division and the 26th "Spring" Division attacked Fengchen when Abe noticed that the area had been left almost entirely defenceless by the enemies. Some Manchurian garrison units soon joined the assault and also forces from Shangdu, to the north, attacked after a few hours. The Japanese forces outnumbered their enemies by 4 to 1. The battle was won after a day.

Ho_I3_1565.png

The forces in Siziwang Qi had held out for two weeks, but the fighting was becoming more and more desperate for every minute. The men were starting to starve or lack ammunition, but continued to fight, hoping to get help from outside the incirclement. When Fengchen was secured, forces in Shangdu advanced west and a counterattack from the south was easily fended off by the "Spring" Division and its cavalry support. As soon as the resistance in the north was defeated, several divisions would free to support the forces south of them. Those units could surely be enough to break the Chinese front.

Other Things

Two destroyers and a submarine were deployed in Nagasaki on the 7th of June. The Japanese had learned a lot from the war in China, for example that attritional warfare actually worked even against an enemy with loads of more soldiers, at least if managed properly. The light infantry saw an overall improvement on the 24th and a recon unit coordination training followed on the 2nd of July. Hirohito decided to fund a giant infrastructure project on the 3rd and also designated an area for a new industrial zone two days later. The Changkufeng incident on the 6th of July made the Japanese-Soviet relations drop even lower than before. The Soviets had secure earlier unoccupied ground, from which the Japanese demanded a withdrawal. The demand was rejected and Hirohito decided that the Soviet Union would be attacked when time was right. Maybe when the war against China was over.

Ho_I3_1542.png

The 11 Homengun HQ was formed in Tokyo during the same day. Recon unit communication was improved on the 13th, followed by the implementation of motorcycle recons on the 17th. A well needed medicine improvement came to the military on the 1st of August. This could heavily impact the Japanese losses in a positive way and make them even smaller than they already were. The war in Spain had not really changed much at all, but some Republican forces on the northern coas had been cut off from their comrades in Galicia.

Ho_I3_1592.png

Important Positions:
Kwantung Theater, Chief of Army, Chief of Staff: Kanin Kotohito
China Front: Tojo
The Special Operation Command: Nagata
Kwantung Army: Aizawa Takase
Kita-Shina Homengun: Abe
2 Kita-Shina Homengun: Watana
Central China Area Army: Hata
3rd Army: Shima
1st Armoured Division: Ochi Yuuichi
1st Marine Division: Tanaka

Reactions:
It looks like there is some movement in the north after all, excellent. Time to crush the Chinese!

Yes, it's very nice to have some room to maneuver now. We will at least slowly but surely push them back, but China is still far from beaten.

just catched up! so good you are keeping the pace of the invasion

The big problem is that they always have a lot of reserves to prevent a breakthrough. I'm still trying as much as I can to encircle them though and in part 12 and 13 there's some success doing it at least. The next part will probably be uploaded today.

Part 12 - Some Success, Some Failure
Finally! I'm sorry for the delay everyone and hope to upload new parts more frequently in a few weeks from now. Just one thing more before you start reading: I've tried out a new way of both writing and using pictures and will probably continue using it in the future, if you don't have anything against it. Enjoy! :)

Part 12 - Some Success, Some Failure

The Shanghai Front - Mountain Warfare

Japanese naval support began to arrive along the Chinese coast in the beginning of August and there were also carrier aircraft participating. On the 15th the Japanese light carriers Ryujo and Hosho began to send aircraft supporting the attack on Taizhou in the north and the effect was very positive. The air attacks made the Chinese death numbers become almost ten times bigger than before. Despite this the battle progressed very slowly and 70th Infantry Division was exhausted by the end of the month.

________________________________________​

The 2 Homengun advanced west in the mountains in the south on 4th of August and together with some other divisions they heavily outnumbered the Chinese militia. The troops in Shenxian were replaced throughout the month and the Japanese were not given a chance to break through before the 30th. When the generals read the reports of the battle, they saw how effective the naval support had been. The attackers had only lost nearly a thousand men and the Chinese 8700, despite the battle having been in very harsh terrain. The 2 Homengun was attacked when it had secured Shenxian on the 2nd of September, but all odds were against the Chinese, so they retreated two days later and lost ca 12% of their soldiers.
The 60th and 68th Infantry Divisions launched an attack southwest on the 5th while the 2 Homengun moved northwest. Only the HQ of the 4th Chinese Corps stood in its way in Shaoxing. The attack southwest succeded on the 6th, partially because of the Japanese outnumbering their opponents. The HQ in Shaoxing was reinforced in time by some militia forces, but they were defeated on the 11th. The 55th and 61st Divisions from the Shanghai sector stormed south to flank the Chinese troops facing Shima's 3rd Army on the 16th, but bogged down very soon. Several more militia units reinforced Shaoxing during the month and the province was therefore not secured until the 25th. The 60th and 68th Divisions found a weak point in the Chinese frontline on the 24th and began advancing south. A possiblity to encircle enemy troops along the coast started to appear as the operation continued.

Mountain_Encirclement_October_38.png

A plan made by General Shima, which possibly could create a breakthrough

Lt. general Anami and the HQ of the 2 Homengun were attacked in Shenxian by some militia from the south as the infantry divisions had moved north. The few guards of the HQ fended off the attacks suprisingly well and held their ground. The 69th Infantry Division and the 2nd Marine Division advanced along the coast to ease the pressure against Shenxian, but the defenders of the area were far too many and the attack was therefore not a threat.

10644678_801006556646920_5922146409615014726_o.jpg

A Japanese infantry unit in the south Chinese mountains

Hata's Central China Area Army and Shima's 3rd Army were both assigned to the newly created Central China Front on the 1st of October. It was commanded by the skilled Field Marshal Tadamichi Kuribayashi.

Tadamichi_Kuribayashi.jpg

The 47-years old Tadamichi

The Shandong Peninsula and Watana's Front - Two Static Armies

The 8th "Cedar" Division, defending the southern flank of Nagata's army in Xinyi, was attacked by almost 60.000 Chinese soldiers on the 2nd of August. They held their ground very well despite the overwhelming numbers and the battle ended after a month with over 5000 Chinese dead and 230 Japanese.
The forces in Laiwu, a bulge in the Japanese frontline, fended off an offensive of 30.000 Chinese soldiers on the 11th of August and those suffered as usual several times more casualties than the Japanese. The 9th "Warrior" Division stormed west, south of Laiwu, on the 20th and faced an infantry division led by the quite experienced and skilled Liao Lingqi. A Chinese armour unit was attacking Zibo, north of Laiwu, but failed to defeat the resistance because it lacked infantry support.

Derevjannove.jpg

One of the many Soviet tanks in Chinese service, destroyed in Zibo

The 9th Division stopped its attack on the 21st of September, after having got exhausted and lost a fifth of its men.

The forces in Xuanhua, east of Fengchen, were under heavy pressure in the beginning of August, but the 3rd "Lucky" Division and some exhausted cavalry had strong defences in hills behind a river. A Chinese breakthrough in the sector was impossible. Shimoda and Tanabe defeated an attack on Dezhou on the 6th, causing their enemies many casualties, more than 60% of the participants, while only losing a few men themselves.
Xuanhua was reinforced step by step by Manchurian cavalry and the 3rd Division was still morew than able to fight on the 20th. On the 24th also garrison units started to reinforce the sector and the differences in numbers began to even out. Nothing special happened on Watana's front until the 20th of September, when the Japanese started to advance south from Tianjin, supported by light bombers, a division from Abe's army and a division from the coastline. The area was only defended by two units of German trained light infantry. The battle in Xuanhua ended on the 1st of October and the Japanese lost 7000 soldiers, of which a majority were Manchurian and the Chinese meanwhile lost 31.000 men. The battle was absolutely a decisive victory, but has been forgotten because of it not being on one of the major battlegrounds to the south and to the west.

Xuanhua_October_38.png

The War In The West - The Surrender of Siziwang Qi

There were only a few unorganised divisions in Siziwang Qi holding on to their positions in the beginning of August and victory in the province was closing in. The last troops refused to surrender yet though and withdrew into the mountains, where they held out for more than twenty days. By the 13th the commander of the remaining forces, Guo Chan, led two wide spread and exhausted infantry divisions, and defeat was inevitable. With 63 000 Japanese soldiers storming his defences, Guo Chan finally accepted surrender on the 23rd. The Chinese warlord state Shanxi had lost almost 60 000 men in Siziwang Qi while their enemies lost measly 3200. The battle had been a major victory for the invaders, but would not lead to any immidiate breakthrough.

China_soldiers_German_trained_px800.jpg

Some of the last defenders in Siziwang Qi. The picture also shows the Chinese use of German equipment

Three infantry divisions in Qahar started advancing south into Tums Zuoqi, instantly after having won against the surrounded Chinese troops in Siziwang Qi. Two divisions from Jining joined the attack in a flanking maneuver from the east. These forces together outnumbered the resistance with 18 000 men, so they won only a day later. The 20th Infantry Division in Hohhot also began to advance south, west of the main assault, on the 24th. The defences were made up by a customs police brigade which only took a few hours to push aside. The division was soon faced by a small counterattack from the south east and used the hilly terrain to its advantage when it dug in. New Chinese forces arrived in Tums Zuoqi in early september, but were pushed back with heavy losses on the 6th. 47 000 soldiers launched a counterattack as soon as the Japanese had secured the province, but the defenders weren't outnumbered enough to be defeated by the poorly trained attackers. Some units from Jining advanced into Horinger on the 8th, but bogged down very soon. The 26th Infantry Division and some cavalry, positioned in Fengchen, marched south on the 9th to ease the burden on the forces in Xuanhua. The area was heavily defended though and the Japanese withdrew after a few days, when a Chinese division launched a counterattack. By the 18th the defence of Tumd Youqi, west of Tums Zuoqi, defeated a more than a half month long counterattack and had made the Chinese suffer almost a 100 times more casualties. The battle wasn't huge though, so it was more like small casualties on the Japanese side than large on the Chinese. The 4th Cavalry Division and the 1st Armoured advanced west to put pressure on a few enemy units which were attacking their northern flank, made up by a light infantry division. The Chinese instantly abandoned the attack and focused entirely on the defence. Unfortunately for the Japanese, they couldn't attack with the light infantry because of it lacking fuel. An infantry division available in Tumd Youqi was used instead and it was enough. The enemies fled a day later. The forces in Horinger struggled on, mostly to keep Chinese units busy as there was no chance to win the battle. Meanwhile, the units in Fengchen very effectively defeated a counterattack.

238c818ec38000e3ad0445e14f84635f.jpg

Smilling Japanese soldiers, finally on the march again during Abe's autumn offensive

Abe had managed to secure a lot of land during these two months, but most of it was wasteland and mountains. He had temporarily broken through the enemy frontline, but the masses of reserve troops had filled the gaps. The Kita-Shina Homengun was now facing a strong defensive line, preventing them from entering the more important parts of China. The army would hold these positions during the following months and stand there completely useless, because it had to defend the recently secured land. A total of 156 000 Japanese soldiers would just be waiting. Abe's victory had given the Japanese army a huge morale boost though and he had absolutely done a great job the last two months. He had failed totally in the initial battles for Tianjin and Beiping, but the general had now strengthened his reputation again.

Abe_s_Frontline_October_38.png

Abe's frontline in Shanxi after the post-Siziwang Qi offensive

The Battle For Okinawa - The Sinking of Transport Ships

On the 5th of August the Japanese patrols around Okinawa finally managed to hunt down and sink some Chinese transport ships. Those were the ships which had transported the invasion troops to Okinawa before, so this meant the end of the battle for Okinawa.​

Other Things

During early August many training improvements were implemented and the aircraft carrier Zuiho was launched on the 5th. A quite significant improvement of the motorised units came on the 16th of August, when a project to create gasoline engines was completed. The gasoline engines mainly increased the speed of tanks, trucks and other vehicles, but also help out a bit in other ways to. There was another such important improvement of the artillery on the 22nd, when a new, more powerful kind of ammunition became reality. Hirohito's foreign minister brought him an interesting offer from Argentina on the 26th. Argentina explained that they were willing to buy a production licence for three units of Kawasaki Type 88 ground attack aircraft, but the price they offered to pay was not impressive. Hirohito decided to sell the licence despite that, because Argentina was a fellow fascist country.

65_1.jpg

One of the not too impressive Kawasaki Type 88's

The National Mobilisation Law was enacted on the 4th of September. The emperor had plans to expand his country not only in China, but also in other directions, so he decided to start putting even more effort into crushing the Chinese as soon as possible. Increased industrial efficiency came only a few days after and another important improvement came on the 14th. Combat medicine and first aid was implemented for the first time in the Imperial Army and would decrease the casualties a bit. The 21 Homengun HQ was created in Tokyo on the 21st of September. The last thing worth noticing during September is some more very good improvements of the artillery.

The Current State Of The World
State%20of%20the%20world%20october%2038_zpsxyuyq7uh.png

(Xuanhua is actually in the sector of the "The War In The West" sector and not "Watana's Front". Noticed it after writing)​

Last edited:
Reactions:
Jay an update! I have nothing against the new style, do what feels best for you.
It seems there is finally some limited progress, one step at a time. Have the last of China's ships now been dealt with? If so, maybe more amphibious beachheads could take more pressure off of the frontlines?

At least the ships that dare go out of port have been dealt with and the remainders are not a threat. There's another problem, that I don't have too many divisions to spare for such an operation. I've also already played to the beginning of April (I was eager to see if I could create a breakthrough) and can therefore not do an amphibious assault before that.

I like the new style... and I'm glad this AAR is not dead

Nice to hear you like it! I hope to upload at least once per week from now and even more a few weeks from now. :)

Glad you took the war to the Chinese coast. Hopefully making them stretch will allow you to trap some of their units.

The leaflets bombing was a bit odd but funny to read. That's something the Brits did in Germany to try to end the war but ofc...it didn't work.

marrkur - Yes, it's really nice to see them spread out their units a bit, but that's unfortunately it. Their reserves are huge and constantly filling the lines, so they never let me do any real breakthroughs.

kelestra - Of course I can! Thank you for asking. I will try to get it into the next part. :)

Reactions:
Part 13 - Familiar Commanders in Action Again
(Jay! A new update, just a few weeks since last time.....:oops: Seriously though, now I have a bit more spare time during the summer, so a new update will hopefully be uploaded at least every two weeks, hopefully...:rolleyes: I hope you enjoy this one for now at least! :))

Part 13 - Familiar Commanders In Action Again

The Shanghai Front - Tanaka In Action

Three infantry divisions advanced west from Shaoxian in the night between the 1st and 2nd of October. They faced forces with superior numbers, but continued pushing. The carrier air support was re-directed from the north on the 6th, to support the infantry divisions in the hilly landscape. The flanking attack from Shanghai had bogged down since a long time before, but still forced some units to guard the rear of the forces in Xiaoshan, where the frontal assault took place. On the 11th the Japanese noticed that the Chinese had made a huge misstake, as they had left no rear guards to their forces along the coast. An opening had been left in the frontline and the Japanese forces could easily exploit it. Shima feared it would take too long time for the infantry to march through the mountains though, so he also asked for marines to land in the area. Tanaka was assigned the task and his division embarked in a port in Manchuria, where it had been resting since it was saved from Jinghai, on the 13th and arrived in the North Taiwan Strait on the 19th. It took only a few hours for the experienced division to secure Wenzhou and set up defensive positions.​

untitled.png

Tanaka's marines in action in Wenzhou, after seven months of resting in Manchuria.

The Chinese troops in Xiaoshan were about to be defeated and the counterattack on Anami's 2 Homengun HQ in Shenxian ended on the 20th. A counterattack westwards by some exhausted units failed on the 23rd and the surrounded units were doomed. The Japanese attack along the coast from the north was abandoned, because they now just had to wait for the enemies to run out of supplies. A for the Japanese familiar commander, Zhou Tiren, led the surrounded forces and launched another attack westwards later in the evening on the 23rd, but this time with a fresh and organised division. The battle for Xiaoshan ended on the 26th and the Japanese had lost 730 men, while the Chinese casualties were a bit over 5100.

Ho_I3_MAP_JAP_1938_11_2_1_1_kopia_2.jpg

A map of the Shanghai Front in the beginning of November, with Tanaka's Marine Division "Ryojun" in Wenzhou marked.

-------------------------------------------------------------​

The Shandong Peninsula - Attacks and counterattacks

The defences of Laiwu and Xinyi continued in the beginning of October, but were no real problems for the Japanese. They would no doubt win the battles. When Nagata looked through some reports he noticed how much the countryside had been damaged during the fighting for the peninsula. The aftermath of the battle for Weifang could still be seen: a majority of the infrastructure in the area was destroyed. He understood that this would continue as long as the fierce battles without progress did so, but could not do much to change it. Nanami and his 4th Marine Division did not have time to repair the infrastructure at the moment, because they were attacked by three Chinese Divisions on the 9th. The attack was for some reason cancelled just a few hours later though. The battle for Xinyi ended on the 23rd with great results for the Nagata's forces. The "Cedar" Division had only suffered 172 casualties, while its enemies had lost more than 4300 men. The forces in Nagata's center, in Zibo, were under heavy pressure by the armoured unit, so the 8th Light Division and the 1st Cavalry Division launched a counterattack, with support from the 48th and 50th Infantry Divisions from the 2 Kita-Shina Homengun. The Chinese in turn launched their own attack into Dezhou, but both of the divisions were commanded by skilled leaders and managed to continue the counterattack while covering the flank against 32 000 enemies.

kanin_kotohito.jpg

After the earlier lack of progress in China, Field Marshal Kotohito appreciated generals like Nagata because of their new, creative ideas.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The War In The West - "Courage" in Tums Zuoqi

A new attack in Xuanhua began only a few hours into the month. The Chinese forces were only a few militia divisions and a customs police unit. The Japanese officers had noticed that a lot of the Chinese armed forces very much consisted of such forces. Meanwhile, the battle in Horinger was won despite the situation not looking too good for Abe's forces and 3300 Japanese and 4500 Chinese troops had been killed. Figthing in Tums Zuoqi had dragged on since early september and, among others, the "Courage" Division finally forced its enemies to withdraw on the 3rd of October. Almost 13 000 Chinese soldiers had been killed, to the cost of only 1100 men. The second counterattack in Xuanhua was defeated in the evening two days later and was a waste of men. A cavalry unit arrived to temporarily defend Horinger and delayed the advancing forces, but was forced to withdraw a day later. Instead some new cavalry reinforced the province on the 8th, but also that force was defeated on the 14th. The 4th Japanese Light Division at last managed to secure the area and the single counterattack was by some custom polices. The 10th and 28th Divisions reinforced the light infantry three hours later. The three divisions in Tums Zuoqi, a total of 36 000 men moved south into the province of Togtoh. Hills and inferior numbers made the Japanese units grind to a halt. The defence was under the command of the familiar Li Zongren, who had commanded the defences in Beiping a year ago and also led several attacks on Xuanhua. Another counterattack in Horinger was crushed on the 26th, with a fourth of the attackers being killed. Li Zongren fought well, so the Japanese withdrew from the battle on the same day as the victory in Horinger. They had suffered more than double the Chinese losses and the offensive had been a failure. That was the final important event of the month.

Ho_I3_1.jpg

The 10th and 28th Infantry Divisions and the 4th light Division were all part of the 21 Homengun. Lt. general Nakagawa had been awarded The Order of the Golden Kite and his reputation was strengthened after Horinger.

-------------------------------------------------------------​

Watana's Front - The Tongxian River Crossing

General Watana's 2 Kita-Shina Homengun was almost 98 000 men strong on the 1st of October. Most of them were by the time engaged in the battle for Tongxian, together with forces from the 13 Homengun, from Abe's army. The resistance was very weak and expected to end whithin days, or maybe even hours. It was the earlier. Tongxian fell on the 4th of October and a river which had been a major obstacle was bypassed. The river had been the bulk of the Chinese defensive line and Watana's success would in the future give him a priority of reinforcements. The primary reasons for the victory were skilled dependent commanders and the 2 Sensha Ryodan (will re-name it sometime in the future, for the sake of simplicity). The 2 Sensha Ryodan was very special, due to currently having the only infantry tank regiment in the Imperial Army. The infantry tanks made the division a lot more powerful, but less mobile. It was led by Maj. general Saito A., a quick learner and skilled commander. The "Snow" and "Winter" divisions, which beyond the 2 Sensha Ryodan were part of the 1 Homengun, supported it in an advance south. The opposing forces were only two unorganised, half-strength infantry divisions and a cavalry division. Hejian fell on the 6th and the only thing lacking for a breakthrough was the units to exploit it. A counterattack on Maj. general Chida Tsuguo's division in Cangzhou ended in a brutal slaughter on the same day. A few hours passed before the 22 Homengun charged across a river into Nangong. It was the same river as in Tongxian, but further south. The defenders were outnumbered, but fought on valiantly.

A regiment of Soviet Equipment Trucks was unfortunate enough to move through Hejian on the 9th and suffered heavy casualties before they recieved support from a cavalry unit. The province was secured on the 15th and the 5th Light Division continued heading west, while the 2 Sensha Ryodan helped the 22 Homengun in Nangong. The light infantry defeated the enemies in its way on the 18th, but the infantry in Nangong was replaced so the defence could continue. Yongqing, west of Tongxian, was attacked by the 13 Homengun from Abe's army and the 22 Homengun on the 20th. They numbered 69 000 men in total and the Chinese had hardly 26 000 men. The urban terrain though, helped them put up a fight. The 11 Homengun, which had existed for a while, but not led any forces, was manned with the 21st and 53rd Infantry Divisions. They were loaded on transports together with the 2nd Armoured Division to be sent to Tianjin.

Ho_I3_1159.jpg

Lt. general Arai, L. has just arrived in China and is organising his 23 000 men strong 11 Homengun. He was a quite competent commander, but lacked the energy and creativity of for instance Nagata and Watana.

Ho_I3_1156.png

A Japanese light tank at the time. In strength and combat effectiveness, it's best compared to the old German Leichttraktor.

The Chinese commander in Nangong changed on the 23rd and the new leader was familiar to the Japanese. He was Zhao Dengyu, from the battles in Tianjin and Beiping. The 11 Homengun arrived in China on the 27th and was given to Watana. Also the armoured division was put under his command. The reinforcements numbered around 30 000 soldiers. The armour was sent to Hejian and the Homengun, led by Lt. general Arai, L., soon followed.

Ho_I3_MAP_JAP_1938_11_2_1_1_kopia.png

Watana's Front in the beginning of November. He was doing well and, though he already led an army, this was the start of his "real" career.

The Current State Of The World
HoI3_MAP_JAP_1938.11.2.1_1_zpsiagl36tb.png

Additional Information:

Diplomacy

I don't care too much about diplomacy at the moment. Though I have forgot to mention it directly, I'm part of the Axis. All countries are going towards the usual factions (a.k.a Canada, USA, Australia etc. towards the Allies, Communist China towards Commintern, Hungary and Italy towards the Axis and so on.).

Intelligence

Like with diplomacy, I don't care too much about intelligence. I think my research needs as much Leadership as possible, so I don't spend a lot on other things. I still have a few countries with high spy priority, like USA, UK, China and the Soviet Union, but only 1 (yes, 1!) spy active outside Japan, in the USA, and 10 domestic spies.

Production

This point is a bit more important though. In the beginning of November, I'm producing following:

1 Specialised Light Infantry Division - 1 SLI (Specialised Light Infantry) reg., 1 MP reg., 1 Medium Artillery reg., 1 AT-reg., 1 Truck-Transport reg., 1 DivHQ reg.

1 Light Armoured Division - 1 LA reg., 1 Mot reg., 1 Mot-Sup reg., 1 Light Vehichle Transport reg., 1 DivHQ reg.

Another, a bit different Light Armoured Division - 1 LA reg., 1 Mot-Sup reg., 1 Light Vehichle Transport reg., 1 DivHQ reg.

Two German Light Armour and two Motorised regiments, produced by licence. These are meant to make the cores of two Light Armoured Divisions (1 LA and 1 Mot each + support units), because the German armour is a lot better than what I can produce.

The Heavy Cruisers Aso and Tsugaru.

And the Battle Cruiser Hiei (modernising).

My IC priority is production. I don't use more than required on anything else and, in the case of upgrades, instead sometimes less. I don't suffer too big losses, so reinforcements isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: