• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't have a new military idea--I reached the last gov't tech before I can get Regimental Systems because of scientific revolutions, but I'm like 12 years ahead or something crazy so I've been waiting until it doesn't take 25000 ducats to get to. I had 50 regiments at the start of the war, a pair of rough pyrric losses probably brought this down to ~35. The true factor in the war will be lack of political will and Austria's unexpected core on Cracow.

My advantages are high leadership and being a tech level ahead.

'Low point'--Prussia during the Silesian War, part 2

The Silesian War, in the Prussian mind, was not only a war against the Bohemians, Austrians, or Poles. The war was, first and foremost, against the system of laws that the Emperors had built before them. While Frederich was in full support of the Prussian system of law, which he ordered simplified into a system which he called the 'Frederichan Code'.

The Frederichan Code was not so much a code of law as it was a rebuttal to the Imperial Code, which stated that the citizens of the Empire had certain rights and entitlements. The Frederichan Code was far longer and gave many more rights to the citizens of Prussia, however, the code's language phrased the rights of Prussian citizens as 'allowances', which may seem odd until one reads the fine print in the last section

The King reserves the right to limit or nullify any and all allowances given to His Prussian populace

While the Imperial Code was a code of rights and entitlements, which no King could remove, Frederich, by making the Frederichan Code, was attempting to roll back the definition of rights as had been defined by Emperor Ferdinand but also by Christian Albrecht and Cicero.

Though his attempts to subordinate the laws of Prussia went against Prussian tradition (and were unsuccessful), Frederich played into a long tradition of using shows of force in order to delegitimize Imperial Law. From the Ostpomern War to the War of Danish Aggression, successive Prussian kings had attempted to show that the only thing that was actually keeping the Empire together was force.

To satisfy this end, the Prussian military during the Silesian War performed some of the most abominable acts of the 16th century. The most famous example occurred in the town of Kaplice, a small village south of Prague on the Vltava. A regiment of Prussian cavalry encountered resistance from the local militia, leading to a set of skirmishes throughout the countryside. Eventually the Prussian Captain realized something--'I came to the realization that the militia needed food to operate, while we had the advantage of mobility'.

This led to a widespread destruction of crops and animals, and when the people of the village attempted to stop the forced famine, what happened was a massacre of the whole town, leading to perhaps 2.000 casualties. The corpses were dumped into the Vltava, which made the river virtually useless for agriculture for the next couple of years, and which may have led to the plague of Prague later in the decade. Widespread raiding of Poland and Bohemia may have contributed to as high as a 4 and 11% reduction in the populations of both countries respectively. (Sorry for going so deep into the looting of Bohemia, if this violates any paradox forum rules I will remove this)

Though these actions would come later into the war, it is clear that the goal of the Doppelkorps, even at the earliest point in the war, was making the Empire as an institution irrelevant. This was the highest priority as the war began, though other priorities, such as breaking the power of Thuringia (by supporting Pomerania's annexation of Vonpommern and forcing the independence of Saxony), and a small land annexation from Poland, were also noted. Nearly all of the Doppelkorps expected a short war, fearing the possibility of rebellion. This possibility was crushed during the battle of Meissen.

EU3_17-8.jpg

The Battle of Meissen led to a chase across the mark, and the decimation of the Army of Judea

The army of Judea was, as I have said, in many ways an experimental army. Diedrick Breisen was on the fringe of the fire tactics school, which believed that, with suitable terrain, only a small number of men would be needed to repulse any cavalry charge, leaving the majority of the army for firing tactics. As such, only one in twenty men in the Army of Judea were pikemen. When the Army was sent to Meissen, the assumption was that they would beat the Thuringian army there and have the thick woods of Meissen plus the Elbe between them and the Thuringians.

However, the Elector Frederich Wilhelm crossed the Elbe at a point farther north, which gave Breisen a hard choice--cross the Elbe with the risk of a 19,000 man army at his rear, or engage the Thuringians on unfavorable ground. Arrogant in his chances, Breisen attacked the Thuringian army at a point when it seemed split, in order to destroy the Thuringian infantry and cannon. This came out of the Prussian Army Academy's conception of fire elements as offensive, and in this state of mind Breisen's choice made sense. In fact the Prussian army had routed nearly all of Thuringia's infantry and artillery before a mass cavalry charge broke them.

The average Prussian officers total disregard for and ignorance of shock tactics meant that only a small group of men were held back to protect the artillery, and the Prussian cavalry was simply used to scout the battlefield and was not continuously scouting. This meant that a group of 9,000 cavalry was able to flank the Prussian army at its moment of glory and was able to destroy firstly the 3rd and 5th Jewish regiments (IE Prussia's artillery) and then the rest of the Army of Judea. What was left, a ~4,000 man remnant, demoralized and without artillery, retreated to Ruppin before they were caught there, and then to Berlin, where the army was destroyed.

EU3_21-10.jpg

The Battle of Berlin marked the end of the Army of Judea, and the first time in Brandenburg-Prussia's history that an army had been totally dissolved on the battlefield.

Some revisionist historians have accused Frederich of cynically sending nearly 15,000 (10,000 + various supporting staff) Prussian religious minorities to die against the Thuringian army. I would argue that Frederich sending an army only half the size of the Thuringian army into Meissen had more to do with his underestimation of Thuringian prowess than with a want to eliminate Prussian Catholics. The reason we could know this is because of the most famous of Thuringian captives, Crown Prince Derick, later King in Prussia Ferdinand II.

Ferdinand II was only a young man when Frederich sent him to the Army Academy. Just as Frederich Wilhelm felt that he was trained to be an excellent administrator in the Kronesaug, he felt that the realpolitical environment he was creating in northern Europe necessitated a strong, military ruler. And, at first, Derick took to it--the bloodlessness of the Fire School appealed greatly to Derick, whose logical personality was drawn to its rational conception of warfare.

This idea was torn apart by the early Thuringian campaign. Witnessing the horrible way which the Prussian military treated Thuringian peasants, and the summary executions of Prussian prisoners of war, seeing firing squads, the heads of his friends on pikes, and rape and pillage performed by both Thuringians and Prussians, led to what I can only describe as an acute post traumatic disorder in him in his late years, as well as a deeply ingrained pacifism. One of his most used quotes was a contemporaneous journal entry: "To those who believe that war makes men out of boys, today I have seen war make animals out of men. If one strives for war, I can hardly believe how one can describe themself as civilized."

The decimation of the Army of Judea and the capture of the crown prince may seem like news which would have brought Frederich Wilhelm to mobilize his armies. However, he was already engaged in a colassal battle against the armies of the Bohemian Emperor. Hapsburg forces had pushed the Konigsgard north, towards Breslau, and soon enough the Army of Silesia and the fractured remnants of the Konigsgard were engaged against the entire Army of Bohemia, which at the time was sized at roughly 25,000 men.

EU3_18-9.jpg

The Battle of Breslau, while also a defeat, was a Pyrrhic victory for the Bohemians--15,000 of their 25,000 man force was killed

Schmittern, unlike Breisen, was the only member of what was called 'the charge school'. Unlike his colleagues, he taught the oft-skipped shock tactics class in the Army Academy, and though he as much as any of the Prussian believed in the strength of Artillery, he placed artillery in front positions so that they could support massive artillery and cavalry charges. Outside of the city of Breslau, the Bohemian heavy cavalry were continually killed by artillery and musket shot, and close ranged offensive musket volleys tore into Bohemian tercios. Schmittern, leading his personal regiment of armored pikemen, gave the command to Frederich and maneuvered behind the Bohemian line. A synchronized attack in which Schmittern's pikes engaged Bohemian artillerymen and support troops at close quarters and the Prussian cavalry attacked Bohemian infantry, killed 5,000 men within the week. The combat ended in a showdown when Emperor Karel led 3,000 Bohemian heavy cavalry in a charge against the Prussian infantry. They barely held, and for his efforts Karel found himself captured. The Prussian captain, hearing of Bohemian atrocities north of Breslau in Belowski, put Karel in front of a firing squad and placed Karel's head on a pike.

EU3_19-7.jpg

The Battle of Breslau at the end of Schmittern's charge

While successful, these attacks left the Prussian armies tremendously tired and demoralized. Instead of allowing his men to rout later in the battle, Schmittern decided to cut his losses and moved both the Konigsgard and the Army of Silesia to Opol, where Frederich Wilhelm discovered three pieces of bad news--Derick had been captured, and (with the exception of the Prussian delegate) the electors had unanimously elected Vaclav III of Bohemia to the Imperial throne. Most worryingly, especially to an accountant like Frederich and ESPECIALLY considering Frederich's initial goal of making Prussia financially independent, the Kingdom had defaulted on its debts. Interest rates rose from the traditional 3% to a debilitating 7%, leading to the loss of 1,500 more thalers from the Directory every month.

EU3_20-10.jpg
EU3_24-7-1.jpg

The election of Vaclav III was mostly an imperial reaction to Prussian aggressiveness, and the collapse of Prussian finances

The dawn of 1630 was the lowest point the Prussia had been in since the Ostpomern war. With Bohemians raiding Silesia, Poles raiding Prussia, and Thuringians raiding the mark, the 8,000 men in Opol were rightfully worried about the future of their realm. But things would soon turn around, starting with the arrival of Danish reinforcements.

1630.png

The Silesian War at the dawn of 1630, and army positions. 2 Prussian armies are in Opol, and the black dot in Lithuania is the Rigan Army

Last edited:
Frederich's charge--Prussia and the Silesian War (and the 2nd Polish Partition), part 3

At the beginning of 1630, Prussia was seemingly on the ropes. Opposing armies were raiding all of the landers, and the Prussian army was either tied up in sieges in North-Western Poland. Schmittern, his pupil von Stille (who had been recently promoted to the position of general [battles gave me 70ish tradition, ended up getting a 6/6/5/1 general]) and Frederich Wilhelm convened the Doppelkorps (which was centered in Breslau and had been split in half upon hearing of the Prussian loss--half commanded the defense of Breslau and half went with the King) in the city of Opol to take an overview of the war. Schmittern, ever the offensive strategist, made his case withe most eloquence--while the anti-Prussian force had put the Prussians on the defensive, their political will was breaking. Beyond this, the Polish state was, yet again, nearly at the breaking point past which the precarious religious balance would fall apart and lead to widespread revolts.

EU3_32-7.jpg

Though the battle of Meissen would hurt Prussia's ability to wage war, the civil wars in Austria and Thuringia and the long-going Bohemian crusade against the Venetians had weakened all of the country's political wills

This led to the most important point. Austria had no place in this war. She was going to gain little if any territories and she would be as advantaged by a weak empire as Prussia She was also involved in another (far less successful) war against Venice and was fighting against a Greek revolt far to her south. Lastly, most of Catholic Poland by this point lay on the Polish-Austrian border, which presented a lovely if short-lived opportunity. Frederich knew that if the northern Austrian force were wiped out, that she would settle for a white peace. This was not enough, however. If Austria could be convinced to turn away from the anti-Prussian alliance and to attack Poland, then the war would go from at the brink to deeply in Prussia's favor.

This was kept in mind, but the Bohemian army was at this point, the major threat. Young men were now poring from all over the Empire (and not just the Catholic Empire) into Bohemian training grounds. If not met, soon the Army of Bohemia would reinforce and capture Breslau. As the Prussian army trained new Silesian recruits, Frederich and Schmittern planned the attack--Frederich's army, being larger, would go north and engage the Bohemian scouts in Belowski. This would place the Bohemians in a pincered position--either they could move to fight Frederich's army and risk the Army of Silesia crossing the Elbe, or remain there and be sure to fight both armies at once.

The strategy worked fantastically. Silesian cannon placed just across the Elbe fired upon the Bohemian flank as they were engaged from both the front and rear. Soon the Bohemians were in a rout with von Stille swift on their tail, and a series of engagements across the Bohemian countryside ravaged the area around Prague and decimated the Army of Bohemia. Beyond this a contingent of 3,000 infantry moved ahead of the main group and engaged Bohemian cavalry just as they crossed the Vltava. This decimated the Army of Bohemia.

EU3_27-7.jpg

The Battles of Bohemia and Breslau

While the Konigsgard moved south to cut off the Austrian Northern Army's escape route, Schmittern (at the head of the Army of Silesia) sent scouts to Neukyau to mobilize resistance.

If any province of the Kingdom of Prussia was accurate to the Prussian stereotype, it was Neukyau. Named after the general who had repulsed the Austrians 50 years hence, Neukyau's position as the only border province to the Hapsburg archduchy meant that even by Prussian standards, Neukyau was a highly militarized province. From militias to border posts to the thick walls of Racinborskie, the whole territory was armed to the teeth and by the March of 1630, the Austrian army had gone from 9,000 to something closer to 7,000, and the Austrian general had died. The battle of Neukyau was increadibly one sided, with Silesian partisans emerging from the woodwork to sever Austrian supply lines and command structure.

EU3_29-6.jpg

The battle of Neukyau basically ended the Austrian campaign in Prussia

Where was Frederich Wilhelm this whole time? He was riding to Posen to seek out a loyal Prussian Pole. The area was far safer with the capture of Kalisz and Torun, but he was not going to lead the war effort against Poland. At the end of the Polish War of Religion, part of the compromise that the Polish King made was that, if the Polish Catholics were to ask for outside protection, Austria would be allowed to give it. Austria had used this to forge a claim of 'protector of Cracow" earlier in the decade, but Frederich found a man who penned a paper, using the linguistic tics of Polish Catholic aristocrats, requesting for Austrian help.

He then sent word through the Austrian embassy that he wanted peace terms, and though the Bohemian Emperor despised it, he agreed to his ancient responsibility of acting as a neutral third party, and the conference was held in Moravia. Upon meeting with Archduke Georg I, Frederich made two points--firstly, that the war against Prussia had done Austria no good, it had diverted her attentions from two far more pressing wars, the Greek revolt which led to an embarrassing defeat, and the war against Venice which was going badly. Prussia offered a white peace--neither Austria nor Prussia would engage in hostilities with each other for 20 years, and that would be that. This was rather easily agreed to, and while the white peace was agreed upon on the first day of negotiations, the second part would take another week.

The second part of the Conference of Moravia was Frederich slowly convincing Georg of the importance of a war against Poland. The Polish King was barely able to control his own kingdom, how long would it be until Russia, Riga, Prussia and Denmark had swallowed her whole? asked Frederich. Beyond this, most of the Catholic Polish (as opposed to the comparatively newly converted Catholic Lithuanians, who had always held heretical views) towns and territories were on the Polish-Austrian border, and would be easy to take. Austria agreed, finally, to the peace, and by June of 1630 Poland was facing the possibility of a second partition by all of her neighbors. Prussian objectives for the Polish front of the Silesian War were rapidly scaled up from a small gain in land to "utterly cutting off Poland's access to the Baltic and Black seas"

EU3_35-6.jpg

The beginnings of the Second Partition

This is great stuff. I've always enjoyed Brandenburg games, and you're certainly doing very well. I look forward to seeing how this war turns out.

Was the Bohemian army you destroyed the bulk of their forces? They probably still have a ton of MP from their time as Emperor... Would be unfortunate if they could use it to reinforce.

Also, do you plan to seize Bohemian territory as well as Polish?

Congrats Merrick, you are officially the latest WritAAR of the Week.

=D
super =D

This is great stuff. I've always enjoyed Brandenburg games, and you're certainly doing very well. I look forward to seeing how this war turns out.

Was the Bohemian army you destroyed the bulk of their forces? They probably still have a ton of MP from their time as Emperor... Would be unfortunate if they could use it to reinforce.

Also, do you plan to seize Bohemian territory as well as Polish?

There was another Bohemian army of roughly similar size and amount of cavalry in Potsdam, I killed them using the same tactic -- the fact that the Bohemian AI never goes past medieval knights is killing it in this war and I changed their cavalry to the most recent kind, but it didn't really help--The Prussian alliance has killed 30-40 thousand Bohemians by this point, and they're at the point where they need to build new troops during wartime. I'm not planning on taking Bohemian territories now as I have no cores on them--I decided that if Austria took any of their proves I'd give them cores on it because otherwise they'd just give it back (also I feel uncomfortable cheating for myself). Didn't post about the battle of Potsdam because it's more of the same.

Last edited:
What are your long-term intentions regarding Poland?

By this point I'll take what I can get. Poland's weakness invites in all of her neighbors, and I don't want Russia or Austria getting a larger slice of the pie than me. I would like similar borders to those of the historical last partition--in my last Brandenburg-Prussia-Germany game (I doubt I'll form Germany in this game as that needs to be a strategy right from the get go) I got too greedy and took nearly all of Poland which left me with a huge Russo-Prussian border. I'd say that 90,000 out of my 150,000 man army was stationed on that border at all times.

There's still time for Germany before game end.

EDIT: Naturally, though, I understand if that's not where you'd like to take this.

My planned end is a precocious writing of the Prussian Constitution (which occurred, historically, in 1848 in response to an ingenious limitation that Hardenburg [perhaps the most awesome bureaucrat who has ever lived] put on the Prussian government, namely that only a Prussian parliament could take out loans) and a Prussian move into the weird pseudo-democracy that the Kaiserreich would have.

We already have a possible precursor to it. When I wrote the chapter on 'Posadofsky's last hurrah' I was writing out of the perspective that Posadofsky, being active for 30 years in 1615 when I dismissed him for another economic advisor, wouoldn't live farther than the 1620s. However, soon after the end of the Silesian War he's STILL ALIVE (meaning that he's been active for 50+ years) and kicking in Denmark, who has recently used their new idea slot to take 'Bill of Rights'. This will provide an interesting dynamic to the Danish-Prussian alliance, especially considering that Posadofsky really didn't like Frederich's authoritarian style and hated the 1st Partition. When I finally get out of the Silesian War (it may stretch to a crazy amount of chapters because, with studying for the GRE and work I have ~5 free hours a day to study and be immensely tired, so I'm making up for it by writing shorter chapters so I can continue to bang them out at my earlier pace) I'll probably pen a chapter on Denmark's political development after an entry on the differences between Ferdinand II and Frederich Wilhelm IV.

Riots and Pogroms: The Second Polish Partition part 1 (part 4 of the Silesian War series)

300px-Defenestration-prague-1618.jpg

The Defenestration of Vilno

At this point I feel that it is prudent to split the war between the Eastern and Western halves. While similar dynamics occurred in both fronts of the war, they occurred at a far faster pace in the East than the West (also because studying for the GRE and working takes it out of me).

While the series of revolts that occurred with the breakdown of the Polish state in the First Partition were stopped by Frederich as part of a deal with Prussian Jews, a similar request by Prussian Jewry was rebuffed by the Doppelkorps on the (probably truthful) grounds that there was not enough manpower for Prussia to defend Polish Jewry as well as Prussia. However Frederich's speeches added an ideological dimension to this practical rebuff, an ideology which both cared little for the laws of nonnationals and which demonstrated little appreciation of cause and effect. His famous statement, "Das Gesetz ist der König in meinem Reich", or 'the law is king in my realm' came from a speech in which he created a cynical comparison between Poland and Prussia.

Wilhelm Frederich IV said:
"While the law is king in my realm, the same cannot be said of the realm of Poland. In Poland, force is king, and if we were to deploy Prussian troops to keep the peace I fear that they would need to remain in Polish lands for the rest of time."

This was immensely dishonest. The 'incessant struggle of religious tribes against each other' had not been a part of Polish politics until the start of the Partitions, which broke both the rule of law and ended Poland's economic rise, which created in the view of every Pole a zero-sum economic game in which every gain by one tribe led to a loss by another.

Things escalated to a head during the meeting of parliament in Vilno in the June of 1630. Nearly all of the Polish government had relocated to Vilno in response to the Prussian threat in May. However within a month of arriving the Poles found themselves besieged again by a combined Franco-Swedish army.

A quick aside--the Polish government at this point was split by the rough amount of religious groups in the Korona. Thusly, Anabaptists, and Orthodox Christians took 10% each, Jews 20%, and Reformed and Catholic Christians 30% each. Though these numbers were skewed towards cities, these numbers show firstly the huge amount of diversity in the Korona, and secondly the lack of power that the majority religion held.

The meeting at Vilno was started with the most pressing concern--how were the Poles to defend against the Russo-Prussian-Scandinavian threat? Poland now only had appx 30,000 men to its name, against occupying armies which numbered in the hundreds of thousands. Debate lasted for a long time until the Jewish contingent brought up the possibility of religiously organized system of 'free militias' who would protect the real was brought up by Rabbi Kerenski. While this would have marked a radical decentralization of the Polish military, the 'free corps' would be able to be formed quickly, and hopefully a show of force by the Polish government would scare off the vultures on its borders.

However, this idea immensely troubled the Polish Catholics and Reformists. The history of the Korona to this point is a history of unsurpassed rights and representation for religious minorities at the expense of the two main sects. And now the Jews wanted their own military? was the main point of a later meeting in the King's cabinet. King August V, who was an Absolutist rather than Republikanin Reformist, voiced his belief that the encroaching authority of the Orthodox Christians and Jews was a greater threat to the Corona than her external enemies. "These Free Corps, I believe, would soon be roving across the realm, killing true Christians, Catholic and Reformist alike!"

The next day the Estates convened under a heavy guard by the remaining Polish army stationed in Wilno. The meeting was started (and ended) by a simple speech by King August V--"On this day, I announce the creation of a new Poland." With this, the Lithuanian regiments threw the minority legislators out of the windows of the Lithuanian Estates. The Defenestration of Wilno destroyed the leadership for nearly all of Poland's religious minorities, and while the Antisemitic riots that engulfed the city were defeated by the Russian army, they repulsed the French in Lithuania (which ended France's dream of gaining any land from this war, they soon peaced out for all of Bohemia's treasury--roughly 5,000,000 thalers) and the Defenestration of Wilno was the start of a decade of riots and pogroms.

EU3_41-4.jpg
EU3_52-3.jpg

While the Polish anti-minority riots were continually being put down by the occupying armies, the beginning of Eliminationist Politics in Poland lasted far after the occupation, and had spread, by the autumn of 1630, to the Duchy of Posen.

The riots did nothing but speed up the occupation of Poland--the Anti-Minority Rebels raided the harvest which could have gone to Polish soldiers and garrisons, and they besieged cities until replaced by Prussian, Austrian, Danish, or Russian soldiers. When August V signed the treaty which formalized the beginnings of the Second Partition of Poland, he did so willingly--while access to the sea and the Polish industries were a definite blow to the Polish economy, August believed it a small price to pay for weakening the urban (Jewish) bourgeoisie.

EU3_53-3.jpg

The Treaty of Posen, December 1630

The Second Partition did more than annex the edges of the ever shrinking Polish state. It completely decimated Poland's tradition of tolerance. Though the Silesian War reached its official ending with the Treaty of Krakow in 1632, Pogroms burnt the Polish landscape until the early 1640s. By 1650, Poland's once huge religious diversity was narrowed into a singular Absolute Reformist Church, which collaborated with the Papacy to create a Polish inquisition that brought the virtual end of Polish Jewry.

EU3_66-3.jpg

1635 Poland, post-partition but still in the middle of the time of troubles

I realize that this entry was really...rough. Anti-semitic rebels went through Poland for pretty much the whole of the 1630s, and since this is technically the 30 Years War I figured that I'd leave my traditionally positive style for a more painful sketch of religious politics at a time when force was the only authority. However I would understand if this went too far and I was asked to edit it.

God damn it, Merrick Chance', I go on vacation for mere 2 weeks and in the meantime you menage to turn Poland from an ally into a rump state being partitioned 150 years earlier?! Outrageous!!!
Still a great read, though, keep it up ;)
(btw, Italy is beautiful, especially Tuscany)

In a situation like this (and somewhat similar to what happened IRL) I don't think there's any hope for a Polish state to survive, even if Prussia is friendly towards it. Better to take what spoils you can before the others get there first!

Excellent update, some grim descriptions are always welcome, the history is hardly a chain of pleasant events.

I would try to gain as much of Poland proper as possible, while trying to divide the southern lands of the Commonwealth between Russian and Austria, hopefully drawing them into conflict. I see you already took the first step towards it, now Russia and Austria share a border.

I think Poland now is not in charge of its destiny, they lost all access to sea and cannot handle even a single enemy at their border, let alone all three.

Collapse of Law: The Silesian War, part 5

Frederich Wilhelm IV died in the Winter of 1634. His life after the Silesian War was a series of parades initiated from his fantastical victory. However, to those in the Littelstaat, the parades were a disgusting travesty. Though Frederich's legacy within Prussia was the creation of a stable rule of law which allowed for the Golden Age that was the Prussian Enlightenment, he did so by destroying international law.

While Frederich focused on warfare throughout his whole regime, with the idea that diplomacy, with its focus on inter-person relationships, was too irrational to be done 'rationally' (IE scientifically), it was diplomacy which won the Silesian War. The true turning point of the war was the turning of the Archduchy of Austria. Now, instead of an Alliance of Retribution dedicated to finally adding some force behind the Imperial Rule of Law, it was the small Bohemian Emperor against 6 European Great Powers.

By the Autumn of 1630, the force of a combined coalition of Danes, Frenchmen, Prussians, and Austrians was bringing their full might upon the Alliance of Retribution. The Bohemian Army was on its last legs, and both the Dutch and Bohemian front were quickly collapsing, and with that Bohemia's dream of an Empire ruled by law.

EU3_36-6.jpg

DREAMS COLLAPSING!

The battle of Litomerce ended the last bit of the Bohemian armed forces. At the beginning of the Silesian War, the Fire School (Feuer Uben) was the most prestigious theory of warfare within Prussia, opposed to the Schag Uben, or Shock School, led by Schmittern. The main battle between the two schools was on the nature of war itself. The Fire School was a part of the nascent Prussian Enlightenment, and believed that War could be ultimately rational in nature, and if the proper general exploited War's 'true nature', then success was guaranteed. The shock school, on the other hand, explained that all a general could do was find a good terrain to fight on, and that while a general may be able to direct from the line, his presence should be directed to 'preserving...the morale of the troops". Their theory was based on the idea that, because no one man could understand all of the variables at play in any one battle, War was not understandable and thus irrational.

Von Stille's successes within the Bohemian front, combined with the failures of members of the Feuer Uben, gave him the prestige to create the Allgemein Theorie, or General Theory (of Warfare). The General school's theory of war could be best explained by it's concept of 'friction'--the invasion of irrational forces into a rational war plan. This acknowledgement of both rationality and irrationality merged the two theories of war, and led to the Prussian theory of war being the best in the world at this point.

EU3_39-4.jpg

The Battle of Litomerce was the end of the Bohemian army and the beginning of the Allgemein Theorie

Facing no resistance, the Prussian army swept through Bohemia, defeating local militias one by one. Though France signed a white peace treaty in late August, Dutch nationalists were rioting across the Low Lands. Both Thuringia and Bohemia were now at the mercy of their occupiers.

EU3_44-4.jpg

The Bohemian front by the winter of 1630

The destruction of Thuringia as a viable military power was one of the major goals of the Doppelkorps even at the start of the Silesian War. This process was started by Prussia when Frederich denied the Thuringian Elector access to Prussian lands during the Pommeranian revolt. This process was finished in the treaty of Leipzig, which ended any hope of Thuringian regional power. Thuringia, who had played by the rules of the Empire and who had gained all of her territories by marriage rather than by the sword, was now torn apart.

EU3_46-3.jpg
EU3_47-3.jpg

The Treaty of Liepzig.

With the exit of Thuringia from the war, and the treaty of Torun, the Bohemians had no choice but to surrender. With the fall of the city of Prague, the treaty of Breslau was signed. Bohemian would surrender her claims to all of the Silesian provinces barring Breslau, and the Catholic Jagellion dynasty was replaced by the Beckist Přemyslids.

EU3_56-3.jpg

The treaty of Breslau

The Silesian War was more than a war against mere nations. It was a War against the entire concept of the Holy Roman Empire. Now, even if an Austrian or Frenchman or Spaniard inherited the Imperial Crown, it didn't matter. It had been shown that the power of the Emperor resided entirely on force, and not law. In fact, the Austrians had gained more out of the war than the Prussians, but, as I said, the true gain was the destruction of international law in the Empire. Now it was the large powers on the Empire's fringes who were the true drivers of the Empire, and these grandstaats would soon be swallowing up the smaller states. In effect, the smaller Imperial states were now at the mercy of Prussia, Denmark, Austria and France.

EU3_72-2.jpg

The Empire after the Silesian War

EU3_60-3.jpg

The Imperial Court, which once brought a great many men to Prague, now in disarray. (this means that the Emperor is very weak)

As I have said, Frederich Wilhelm IV spent the rest of his 3 years resting on his laurels. The profits gained from the war were used as startup funds to Chartered Companies who created manufacturing industries in Silesia and the Mark. He eventually died from what was likely pneumonia, which he probably contracted during one of his many parades. His son, Ferdinand II, named himself not after the previous Prussian King but after the Austrian Emperor, who created the Imperial Code.

Ferdinand spent his years after the Battle of Brandenburg, in which he was recaptured by the Danes, as the Prussian Ambassador to Hesse. He spent his time there studying Imperial Law, and while in Nassau he developed the notion that the Prussian military was getting far too strong within Prussia's domestic politics. He would spend his career, one way or another, working to place the military directly under the King, and trying to recreate some cordial relations between the Kingdom of Prussia and the Holy Roman Empire. In many ways, he was the King Prussia should have had after Ferdinand I, but by now Ferdinand II's attempts were too little too late.

EU3_70-2.jpg

Ferdinand II

I don't know how I feel about all this partition business. My general feeling is that bushwhacking Poland leads to the Bear prematurely becoming one's neighbour. Which is not something I would relish as a medium power. I would almost be tempted to guarantee Poland (as a hedge against Russia) right after you've finished roflstomping them and taking the provinces that you want.

Speaking of roflstomping, I hope you are keeping a close eye on Austria because that thing looks like it's going to hit the Baltic soon.

(I doubt I'll form Germany in this game as that needs to be a strategy right from the get go)

But... but... You're Prussia. Of course you're going to form Germany. That's what it's there for! :confused:

Becoming Germany in this version of the game requires that I dissolve the Empire and then have cored provinces of every German culture. I managed it, after becoming the hereditary emperor and giving it to someone else, by 1805 in my last game.