• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ageofadelina

Corporal
Nov 18, 2023
The Leicesters
History of England under the House of Dudley-Tudor

Chapters

"Gloriana's Greatest Hope": The Early Reign of Elizabeth II, 1603-1611
From Queenstown to Guinea: England's Colonial Ventures in the early 17th Century, 1612-1625
Threads of Power: England's Colonial, Diplomatic & Dynasty Tapestry, 1626-1640

The Setting Sun: The Final Years of Elizabeth II, 1641-1651
Religious Unity and Political Divide: Edwardian England's Early Years, 1651-1660
Balancing the Crown: Edward VII's Power Play in the New World and Beyond, 1660-1671
The Brief Reign of Edward VIII, 1671-1677
Winds of Change: the Regency and Early Reign of Henry IX, 1677-1687

Glorious Ambitions: The Start of the Personal Rule of Henry IX, 1688-1699
Henry IX and the Stirrings of Change, 1700-1710

Supplementary Readings
The Golden Speech of Elizabeth I, 1603
"Gloriana's Greatest Hope" by Sir William Shakespeare
Genealogy of the Royal House of Leicester

Entries from the Adventures of Sir John Smith
Letter to King Edward VII from His Majesty's Most Loyal Colony of Crescentia
The Four Kings of the New World, from the Diaries of Sir Samuel Pepys
Regional Maps, 1688

Maiden Speech of Henry, Prince of Wales, 1710

Monarchs
Elizabeth II, 1603-1651
Edward VII, 1651-1671
Edward VIII, 1671-1677
Henry IX, 1677-1710
Henry X, 1710-

Preface: The Founding of a Dynasty

_fc836340-e7e8-4ec8-8ce3-e8e4db0fc708.jpeg

Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester & Elizabeth I Tudor, Queen of England

In the annals of English history, the House of Tudor stands as a testament to resilience, political savvy, and enduring legacy. The year 1561 marked a pivotal moment when Queen Elizabeth I, defying the expectations of her time, united her fate with Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester. This union bore witness to the birth of three heirs who would shape the course of Tudor history: Henry, Prince of Wales, born in 1561; Princess Elizabeth, born in 1563, who later married William of Orange, Stadholder of the Netherlands; and Edward, Duke of Beauchamp, born in 1567.

The reign of Elizabeth I, often hailed as the Golden Age, was marked by prosperity and power, yet it was not untouched by personal tragedy. The untimely demise of Elizabeth's beloved husband, Leicester, in 1588, was a poignant blow. The sorrow deepened with the murder of her son, Henry, Prince of Wales, in 1600, a tragic event orchestrated by Catholic agitators during his visit to the Court of France.

Despite these personal losses, the Dudley-Tudor legacy - known formally as the House of Leicester - endured through the descendants of Henry, Prince of Wales. His two daughters, Elizabeth and Anne, born in 1596 and 1598 respectively, carried the weight of their lineage forward. The birth of Elizabeth, the older of the two, became a symbol of hope and reconciliation for the nation. Her arrival sealed a momentous peace between England and Spain, fostering goodwill after the decisive victory over the Spanish Armada four years prior. This victory, coupled with the Anglo-Austrian alliance's triumphs on the Continent, compelled Philip II of Spain to arrange the marriage of his daughter Catalina Micaela to avert further conflict, solidifying ties between the Tudor realm and the formidable Spanish empire.

As we delve into the annals of the House of Leicester, the intertwining of personal triumphs and tribulations with the broader political landscape unfolds, shaping the destiny of a dynasty that left an indelible mark on English history.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
"Gloriana's Greatest Hope": The Early Reign of Elizabeth II, 1603-1611
"Gloriana's Greatest Hope"
The Early Reign of Elizabeth II, 1603-1611

Despite the efforts of Robert Cecil, the esteemed advisor to the late queen, to arrange a union between Princess Elizabeth and James Stuart, Duke of Rothesay, an anti-Scottish faction emerged on the Privy Council. At the forefront of this faction was the Queen's own son Edward, Duke of Beauchamp. Though the senior prince of the blood, he was second to the throne after his niece, the young Princess Elizabeth. However, counsellors and courtiers moved toward Beauchamp who was expected to act as Lord Protector of England. Moreover, the glittering household of the Beauchamps under his wife, Anne of Denmark, became a center of art & culture - not to mention the position their son, Henry Frederick, held as third in line to the throne and a potential suitor to the future queen.

_039b3101-acd4-4153-b761-6c0b37368318.jpeg

Prince Edward Dudley-Tudor, Duke of Beauchamp & Lord Protector of England, c. 1603.

As the political currents swirled, the aging Elizabeth I succumbed to the inevitability of time on the 30th of August. In her stead, her seven-year-old granddaughter, Elizabeth of Leicester, ascended to the throne as Elizabeth II. The seven-year-old's ascendancy was marked with sadness and joy. Sadness, as nearly two generations had grown up with "Gloriana" But her successor and namesake already bore similar resemblances: Elizabeth "the Younger" was already being tutored by some of Europe's greatest minds, speaking at least three languages by the age of six. Not to mention her slight reddish-blonde hair - a trait inherited by her grandmother and great-grandfather, Henry VIII. She was also seen by the hardline Protestants as a true sign of their enduring faith, and the hope of defending their faith against all odds. In a series of poems dedicated to the young monarch, Shakespeare dubbed the young queen "Gloriana's Greatest Hope."

_d111f44f-919c-4f2f-a37b-8e9f59fb067b.jpeg

Elizabeth II, Queen of England, c. early 1600s.​

Across the ocean, on the 28th of September, the first English settlers arrived at Plymouth Rock. Beauchamp, recognizing the potential of the New World, swiftly dispatched an expeditionary cavalry force and granted Sir Walter Raleigh a royal charter to claim any and all lands for England. This marked the beginning of England's foray into the uncharted territories across the Atlantic. Meanwhile, the Beauchamp Reforms were implemented on the 1st of January 1606, reorganizing naval power under the Admiralty and modernizing the English land forces at home and abroad with little oversight of the costs. As the queen's uncle was resolute in securing the future of the burgeoning colonies, English settlers landed in Massachusetts and Manhattan, shielded from the displaced natives under Raleigh's command. Raleigh, whose letters told of a supposed city of gold, crossed much of the eastern seaboard until his untimely death in August 1608. He left in place Sir John Smith, his deputy, to command the forces and, with by letters patent, became the first governor of the burgeoning settlements of New England. This was followed a year later of the plantations of St. Vincent, St. Kitts, and other English Caribbean islands.

But as the colonies flourished in New World, the financial strains became increasingly evident. Beauchamp worked independently of the Council to secure additional funding for the colonial enterprises, with many of the charters giving a kickback to his own coffers. Further angered by the appointment of ladies-in-waiting to the young Elizabeth II, many of whom belonged to families closely associated with the Beauchamps, Cecil looked desperately to undermine his rival. It all came to a head in August 1610, when Cecil realized many of the royal accounts were unbalanced. A month later, the Council instigated a parliamentary investigation into the finances of the Duke of Beauchamp and his financial mismanagement. Cecil, Beauchamp's rival, spearheaded the inquiry, questioning loans taken out on behalf of the Crown for colonial ventures without prior council consultation.

The investigation, a turbulent storm on the political horizon, reached its zenith in March 1611. The young Elizabeth II, at the tender age of 15, assumed personal rule, bringing an end to Beauchamp's regency. Determined to shape her own destiny, she consented to a marriage with her cousin, Henry Frederick, dismissing Cecil and quashing Parliament's investigation into her uncle's financial affairs - though Beauchamp was relieved of several key posts, with certain monopolies seized on Her Majesty's behalf. On the 23rd of August, 1611, Elizabeth II ascended to the throne, with a glittering coronation at Westminster Abbey marking a new chapter in the history of England. Though Beauchamp hoped his son would be given the crown matrimonial, Elizabeth bestowed on to her husband the title of Duke of Buckingham. The intricate dance of power, politics, and personal alliances had woven a tapestry that would endure through the centuries, defining the legacy of the early 17th century.

_feb63a1e-e384-423d-a97c-09c89348dc6f.jpeg

Elizabeth II, Queen of England and her consort, Henry Frederick, c. 1611.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
That is an interesting start. I wonder if there will be conflict over the New World...

Also, does this rejection of the Scottish party reduce the chances of Britain forming? Or will England resort to military means to unite the Isles?

That is an interesting start. I wonder if there will be conflict over the New World...

Also, does this rejection of the Scottish party reduce the chances of Britain forming? Or will England resort to military means to unite the Isles?

Thank you! So far (in the early 1620s), there's no war yet in the New World - just a land grab of colonies for England, Spain, and Portugal.

My goal is to have a reverse Union of the Crowns, whereby the English monarch inherits the Scots throne either by marriage or through a childless Stuart monarch.

Reactions:
Elizabeth II has a lot to deal with internally after her regency, it seems.

The Golden Speech of Elizabeth I, 1603
_2f43a717-451c-4980-82a3-296428e8c064.jpeg

Elizabeth I, Queen of England, c. 1602-3

The Golden Speech of Elizabeth I
Delivered at Richmond Palace, 5 March 1603

Mr. Speaker and esteemed Members of the House of Commons,

I am mindful of the trust you have placed in me as your queen, and I find it fitting to address not only the matters of state but also the sentiments that bind us together as sovereign and subjects. Today, I wish to speak not only of the governance of this realm but also of matters close to my heart.

It is with great pleasure that I acknowledge the collective wisdom and unity displayed by this esteemed assembly in addressing the pressing concerns of our nation. Your diligent consideration of the issues surrounding monopolies, the abuses that have afflicted our people, reflects a commendable devotion to the welfare of our beloved England.

In these deliberations, I cannot help but be reminded of another matter close to my heart—the precious gift of love. Just as you, through the due consideration of grievances, demonstrate your loyalty to the Crown, I, too, wish to express my own affections.

For in the midst of the affairs of state, it is love that sustains me. I speak not only of the love for my realm but also of the personal affections that grace my existence. Among these affections, I must openly declare my fondness for my beloved, Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester. His steadfast support and companionship have been a source of great strength and joy in my reign.

As we contemplate the challenges and triumphs of this kingdom, let us not forget the importance of family and lineage. It is my fervent hope that the glory of the Crown and the Kingdom of England shall endure through Our bloodline that continues from generation to generation.

I have been blessed to serve as your queen, and it is my earnest desire that the love and unity we share shall be a beacon for the generations to come. May the legacy of our devotion to this great nation be eternally woven into the tapestry of its history. Know this, that while you may one day have a greater prince over these lands, you shall never find a more loving one.

In closing, I entrust you with the constant faith that has characterized your service to the realm and yourselves to the best fortunes that await our beloved England.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Gloriana's Greatest Hope, by William Shakespeare
_e4215bf5-bea9-4598-8721-7c8ef089b755.jpeg

Sir William Shakespeare, c. 1610s

Gloriana's Greatest Hope: A Poem Dedicated to Our Glorious Queen
by Sir William Shakespeare, 1603

Upon the English throne, a rose in bloom,
A royal bud, fair Gloriana's heir,
Seven summers young, in regal room,
Queen Elizabeth, with grace beyond compare.

Dudley and Tudor's line, a noble thread,
Entwined with history, a tapestry spread,
In youth, she wears the crown with gentle air,
Elizabeth the Second, beyond compare.

In courtly halls, where shadows dance,
A new monarch takes her chance,
To rule with wisdom, though but a child,
A sovereign's spirit, meek and mild.

The Tudor rose in her young hand,
Symbol of a realm, so richly grand,
Dudley's blood and Tudor's might,
In her reign, our realm shines with hope and light.

Oh, fairest queen, in innocence arrayed,
A realm's bright hope in your hands laid,
As dawn gives way to the morning's light,
Your reign unfolds, a promise bright.

In velvet robes and coronet fair,
Elizabeth's legacy, beyond compare.
A realm in blossom, a kingdom's scope,
Long life to the second Elizabeth, Gloriana's Greatest Hope.​

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Very nice start so far! Love the portraits and concise history for each period. It is surprising that Elizabeth would marry, but it does make sense that it might have been Dudley. Looking forward to more.

Very nice start so far! Love the portraits and concise history for each period. It is surprising that Elizabeth would marry, but it does make sense that it might have been Dudley. Looking forward to more.

Thank you! I'm a lover of art history so wanted to include as much artwork over screenshots from the actual gameplay (though I probably will include maps here and there).

I liked these updates. It seems as if Elizabeth II had high expectations placed upon her, though. Can she live up to them?

From Queenstown to Guinea: England's Colonial Ventures in the early 17th Century, 1612-1625

_e1f8fea1-18d3-4ce9-bb89-bdce5fd574e3.jpeg

Colonial Queenstown, early seventeenth century.

From Queenstown to Guinea: England's Colonial Ventures in the Early 17th Century
1612-1625

The success of the settlements at Plymouth and Rhodes and the Caribbean islands ushered in the Charter Rush of the early 1600s, ranging from fur trade stations off the coast in the American Northeast to a swathe of settlements under a single charter in the American South. At the center of this burgeoning land grab was a new settlement, Queenstown, established in the early months of 1612.

England's foreign policy was only sometimes smooth sailing, like the waters traversed to her new colonial ventures. Scotland steadily moved closer to the north of its borders toward a state of friendship, concluding with the betrothal of Queen Elizabeth's younger sister, Anne, to King James's new heir, Charles, in the Spring of 1612. Following the untimely death of the king's heir and namesake the previous winter, James's chilly stance toward England at the turn of the century gradually warmed. Meanwhile, England initiated a pro-Bourbon stance against the formidable Habsburgs. Hoping to undermine Spain's dominance in Europe and the New World, Elizabeth II dispatched her uncle Beauchamp to lead an embassy in Paris.

This diplomatic endeavor coincided with the issuance of another royal charter by Queen Elizabeth II, granting the Duke permission to spearhead a colonial expedition in the New World. Under the auspices of the Beauchamp Colony in the American South, the English - and, most significantly, Edward himself - sought to extend its influence across the vast expanse of the uncharted territories. Yet another of his proposed ventures followed this. In August 1613, the Queen granted the Royal Guinea Company a royal charter. This trading company, however, was set on venturing into the slave trade, thus ushering England's place in the unsettling history of the Transatlantic Exchange, with its impact felt many centuries on.

_421a700d-7c68-4625-ad9a-70420683e95a.jpeg

The Irish House of Lords, c. 1620s. During the Plantation Rush of 1615, the upper house was stacked with newly-ennobled Protestant lords in order to give the Crown a comfortable majority it needed to pass laws.

In the realm of Irish affairs, with the completion of Irish campaigns, the English dominion extended over Connacht, Leinster, Tyrconnel, and the other subdued Irish lords by the end of 1613. She further solidified England's dominance by hastening to ennoble Irish Protestants and granting newly-acquired lands from the conquered territories to the English gentry, known as the Plantation Rush of 1615. Queen Elizabeth could get the Crown of Ireland Act passed with the most loyal Protestants in the Irish Parliament. An extension of the 1541 Act under Henry VIII, the revised act also established the Marshalcy and Admiralty of Ireland to provide the Crown with readily available land and naval forces. Over the next century, Ireland would be a viable source of manpower for England's growing empire, with forces sent abroad to ensure authority in the Americas, Caribbean, and Africa. At the same time, the act granted the Protestant Church of Ireland a stronger position in Irish affairs and, later, served as a crucial provider of civil service staff on the island. At the same time, the Church gradually began a campaign to bring the Irish Catholics into the fold. Often called the Dublin Inquisition, from 1620 until about the 1720s, the Church used a variety of means and devices to force the Irish Catholics to convert. Though no evidence suggests the use of brute force or instruments similar to the Catholic Inquisition, the Church of Ireland would deprive their fellow citizens of food and supplies in times of need unless they converted.

As the decade unfolded, so did the Queen's progeny, with the birth of a son and heir, Henry, on the 17th of February 1615, followed two years later with the birth of a daughter, Catherine, on the 5th of January 1617 at Richmond Palace. The young princess's birth coincided with the departure of her aunt, Anne, who traveled northward to Edinburgh to seal the royal alliance with Scotland. A third child, Edward, was born in 1620. The prince's birth was met with great joy as, just a few months earlier, his elder brother had died of a fever. The new prince was christened in the New Year 1621 during Christmas Court at Greenwich Palace. Though officially in attendance as a beloved grandfather and namesake, it was widely speculated at Court that the Duke of Beauchamp was recalled to London after conducting an affair with a prominent French noblewoman. More likely, the prince's return was due to his expensive taste. Between maintaining his princely household in England, the embassy in Paris, and his overseas investments, Beauchamp's coffers were running empty. His return in 1622-23 was to appeal to his sovereign lady-niece for financial relief. Whether the appeals were made directly or through his son, Henry Frederick, the Queen granted him funds in addition to restoring some of his royal monopolies, liberties, and offices.

Among the liberties granted to Beauchamp were several estates following the Irish Uprisings of the late 1610s and early 1620s. The passage of the Admiralty of Ireland Act of 1617, which allowed the impressment of Irish sailors even during peacetime, laid the foundations for discontent. In November 1618, the Leinster Rebellion took place in southern Leinster, with Irish separatists raising arms to reclaim their land. The Battle of Carlow on the 6th of December saw General Sir Charles Tartleton leading English forces to crush the rebellion. This was followed by similar uprisings in Tyrone and Tyrconnel in the Spring of 1621 and 1623, respectively. The latter proved fearsome, as the rebels were far well-equipped, rumors circulating they were receiving support from Spain or directly from the Pope. English forces in Ireland faced defeat in August 1623, prompting Queen Elizabeth II to deploy aid from the English Royal Army to quell the rebellion.

_aeb53242-a7e8-40cb-bb9d-8bf26d82c967.jpeg

Elizabeth Powhatan meeting Elizabeth II of England, c. 1620s. Also known as "England's Gift," the portrait recreates the meeting held at Whitehall. The portrait also served as an allegory of England's supremacy over the new indigenous territories, forcing the native rulers to sign treaties and concede their lands.

In the New World, the Native War of 1620-24 marked a significant chapter in England's expansionist agenda in North America. A series of offensive skirmishes from the Piktuk to the Powhatan forced the subjugation of indigenous tribes. Some moved westward to other tribal nations, while others perished on the tobacco plantations surrounding Queenstown by disease or were overworked. Among the captured was Pocahontas, the daughter of the late Paramount Chief Wahunsenacawh, who was sent to London. When word reached of her upcoming arrival, Elizabeth II ordered Pocahontas to be honored with the dignity of a foreign royal. In addition to witnessing her conversion to the Anglican faith and adopting the new name Elizabeth Powhatan, the Queen formally recognized the princess as the rightful heir to her father's position. The Queen also granted a large estate near her family's original lands. Later, marrying a colonial planter - which surprised many at Court as a native princess marrying beneath her station - Elizabeth Powhatan's son would later be ennobled as Viscount Powhatan and established an influential family among the colonial elite in New England.

King Ohuan Abomey of Benin did not enjoy such dignities, however. In June 1625, the Royal Guinea Company triumphed in seizing the remnants of his African kingdom, already fatigued by war with Dahomey, which consumed most of his land. With additional Crown support, Guinea was planning an invasion of Dahomey when it was called off by the Queen's new Secretary of State, Sir Alexander Hastings. Sometimes called "Elizabeth's Wolsey," Hastings was born into a prominent London merchant family and, later, marrying into a prominent gentry family from Leicester. Seeing the nobility - and, by extension, royal relations like the Duke of Beauchamp - as lechers of the Crown's coffins, the Secretary of State instituted reforms to curtail the power and influence of the nobility. From updating the auditing process of royal account books to withholding or dissolving sinecure positions at the Court, Sir Alexander brought the Crown's finances to a surplus for the first time since the early reign of Henry VIII.

The Hastings Reforms did not affect the fortunes of the Duke of Beauchamp, however. Amid these transformative years, the Beauchamp Colony, once a struggling investment, burgeoned. Through raids and wars against the native population, the colony expanded, transforming Prince Edward into one of the wealthiest men in England and Europe by the end of the decade. Once reliant on his niece's good blessings, Beauchamp became a prominent art collector and patron of the early 1600s. Through his patronage, the likes of Peter Paul Rubens and Sir Anthony van Dyck later became significant influencers in English art & architecture - creating the English Baroque style.

Thus, as the curtain fell on this era, the English empire stood at the crossroads of colonial expansion, political maneuvering, and economic transformation, with the indomitable Queen Elizabeth II navigating the turbulent currents of history.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Did you vassalize Powhatan?

What are your colonial nations in America? Is there just one or a few?

Interesting that this uncle Prince Edward seems very similar in many ways to OTL uncle Edward to Elizabeth II. ;)

Indeed, I would love to see a map of the colonies in NA.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Threads of Power: England's Colonial, Diplomatic & Dynasty Tapestry, 1626-1640
_5af357fc-ee92-4056-9b7f-1a29be4021b5.jpeg

Henry Frederick, later 2nd Duke of Beauchamp, and Elizabeth II, Queen of England, 1620.

Threads of Power

England's Colonial, Diplomatic & Dynasty Tapestry, 1626-1640

England's first test at centralizing its colonial governance took its form in the newly-minted Dominion of the West Indies. Granted royal assent on the 14th of November, 1628, the Act united the administrative units of the English Caribbean islands into a central authority, similar to the Spanish viceroyalties in the New World. In addition to having a central colonial government in Port Royal, Guadeloupe, the Act also reaffirmed the position of the Church of England as the established church, weaving the church and state apparatus together. This form of governance would become a model for the later acts of New England (1647) and Crescentia (1650).

In the East Indies, the Queen granted a royal charter to the English Company of the Moluccas on the 30th of November, 1628. The support of an English garrison under the command of the indomitable William Anson bolstered it. However, this venture had its domestic tribulations. Settled on their later trade port of Kendari, the territories of the Moluccas Company would have a strong hand in the spice trade, predominately cloves, controlling nearly 20% of the global trade by the mid-1600s. The clove trade was seconded by the tobacco trade, with England owning nearly half of the global trade.

With the expansion of colonial possession in North America and the Caribbean, Elizabeth II sought to expand England's foothold in South America. On he the 24th of October, 1632, Elizabeth II granted a royal charter to George Calvert, 1st Baron Baltimore, authorizing the colonization of lands in South America. The Crescentia Colony would serve as England's primary source of coffee, cocoa, and gems from the New World. It would later be known as the 'Catholic Haven': Irish Catholics, facing oppression from the Protestant apparatus in their country, found hope and opportunity in the new world. Baltimore was a known crypto-Catholic and, on his deathbed a year later, professed to the Catholic faith. Whether Queen Elizabeth knew of his faith was uncertain. Still, most Catholics from Cork and Limerick established settlements in the new colony, far from the specter of hostility from Irish Protestants and the Anglican Church of Ireland.

_610b33ad-939c-4276-9286-0bdeb43202e7.jpeg

Port St. Mary, the main city of the Crescentia Colony and the "Catholic Haven" for Irish Catholics, c. mid-1600s​

1633 was a year of great tragedy for the Queen and her family. First came the death of her mother, Catherine Michaela, on the 3rd of February. In her later years, the Dowager Princess of Wales remained a staunch Catholic and spent the remainder of her life abroad in her native Spain, where she became a Princess-Abbess. Her body was returned to England and buried beside her husband at Westminster in August. A month later, the Queen's uncle Edward, Duke of Beauchamp, died. Beauchamp, who helped steer England's colonial glory as Lord Protector for his niece, died at his Palace of Placentia residence. His title and immense wealth seamlessly passed to his eldest son, Henry Frederick, marking a pivotal moment in the transference of legacies.

Another dominating figure of the era to pass was Sir Alexander Hastings, who passed away in March 1635. The man who helped steer England's economic wealth, the coffers filled beyond the brim, and its debts paid by the time of his passing. Shortly before his death, he was created Duke of Buckingham in 1630. Though Hastings established a line of dutiful servants of the Crown, his wife, Susan Villiers, would come to bring her Villiers relations even closer to the Crown.

In Africa, the Royal Guinea Company launched an invasion of Loango in July 1637. The internal conflicts of the African kingdom, marked by the increasing contention between neighboring Kongo, provided an opportunity for English forces to invade. On the 6th of October 1637, the capital of Loango was seized, culminating in the Treaty of Anziku on the 28th of November, which witnessed England annexing two-thirds of Loango's coveted territory.

The news of the campaign's success coincided with the arrival of Charles I of Scotland and his wife, Anne of England, on the 16th of March, 1638. The primary goal of the visit was to usher in a new era of peace between the two kingdoms, cemented in the Anglo-Scot alliance. At the same time, the royal sisters hoped they could further the alliance through a royal marriage: Edward, Prince of Wales, and Mary, Princess of Scotland. However, the Prince, who had already rejected several proposals, was planning a grand tour of Europe with his "uncle," Sir George Villiers. Brother of the Duchess of Buckingham, George was a lord-in-waiting in the household of the Prince of Wales. In July 1639, the two would undertake their continental tour. Though it was expected that the future king would come to understand the various courts and cultures of Europe, there was yet another objective - to find a suitable wife of his choosing and intertwine the destinies of nations.

_6d6bc8e1-a6fc-4925-937a-b76b73f27c5a.jpeg

Edward, Prince of Wales, 1639.

Thus, the chronicles of 17th-century England unfold, a narrative woven with the complexities of royal births, political stratagems, colonial ventures, and diplomatic dalliances. It is a tale etched in the annals of history, where the echoes of the past reverberate through the corridors of power, shaping the destiny of a burgeoning realm.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: