• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've tried skiping forward through history thousands of years with an empire before and it didn't turn out so well. With all the problems Rome constantly has to fight, you might be writing quite a while before even getting to 20th century.

Can't wait to see how Rome is imposed on WW2's political borders.

I see that the Roman bodyguards still like to murder political opponents(just as in RL-history) :cool:

Since your all being so nice, an update is coming up...

Last edited:
c4.jpg

Emperor Titurius was quick to make his changes to the Western Empire. He did so in such a hurry because he felt that Rome was running out of time. With threats from the Eastern Empire and the Germanic tribes – reform needed to be implemented without delay. His first actions concerned the borders of the empire. To Titurius, the empire had grown too large and unwieldy, and it needed some decentralisation. In achieving this, he decided to allow some of the Germanic tribes to govern lands within the empire.

To the Franks, he offered Northern Gaul and the areas known today as Belgium and the Netherlands. The city of Lutetia was to be the most northern point of the empire in Gaul. The Franks accepted the offer in 390, still smarting from their defeat to Titurius two years previously. The deal also included the formation of a military alliance between the now called “Frankish Kingdom” and the Western Roman Empire. Titurius hoped to use the Franks against the other barbarians across the Rhine.

On the domestic front, Titurius set to work emulating a man he had greatly admired - Flavius Claudius Julianus. He brought back many of Julian’s changes; the Christian Church was refused financial privileges and Christians were excluded from the teaching professions. Although Julian had failed in his attempts to dislodge Christianity from Roman society – in which it was so deeply entrenched – Titurius was determined to bring back Pagan rule. Unlike the intellectual Julian, Titurius was a single-minded, ruthless autocrat, who possessed no aversion to using bloody persecution in bringing about such changes.

In a period known as the “Nights of Disappearances” the Emperor’s bodyguard snatched up many of the high, governing classes of the Western Empire in the middle of the night, in a time span of three months during the summer of 391. Although the fate of those taken by the soldiers is unknown even today, it is likely their fate was either slavery or execution. The crime of these men however is very clear – they had been Christians in positions of power.

In place of those he had eliminated, Titurius appointed several Pagans’, many of whom had served with him in Hispania. These new governors, landowners, and teachers would help re-establish the old Roman religion right at the very heart of the empire. In addition to this, a new senate was established in Rome. Subordinate to it were so-called “local senates”, which would directly meet the needs of those in the lands outside Italia. There was but one requirement for being a senator in Titurius’ new Rome – no Christians.

Naturally, the changes brought about by Titurius’ reign did not meet with approval in the Eastern Empire. Flavius Theodosius was the emperor in the east, and he was also a staunch believer in Christianity. To him, the actions of the Pagan Emperor were a clear act of war. In 392, he gathered a large army and set off from the Balkans towards Italia. The goals of Theodosius were to remove Titurius from power, and to firmly establish Christianity as the official religion of the Roman Empire. In effect, the war was not so much a civil war, as a holy war.

Titurius greeted news of Theodosius’ movements not with despair – but with glee. If he was able to bring down the Eastern Emperor, he could re-unite the whole empire under his rule. The idea of controlling the entire civilised world had been one of Titurius’ life long ambitions. While he built up his army, Titurius asked his new Frankish allies for assistance. They provided him with an army of 5,000 men, mostly cavalry forces to supplement his Roman legions.

The first Roman Holy War had now begun. The two armies met at the Eastern edges of the Alps, north of Venice. Titurius had rushed his infantry into the mountain passes, and blocked Theodosius’ entry into the Italian mainland. The Eastern Emperor decided an attack was not worthwhile and discreetly pulled his forces backward, towards Epirus, in Greece. Theodosius reasoned that Titurius was impetuous, and was desperate for battle. Theodosius hoped to lure his enemy deep into his territory, where he could be caught off guard and surrounded.

What Theodosius had witnessed in the Alps however was not the Roman Legions of Titurius, but the Frankish infantry allied to Titurius. The western empire’s main army had set sail for Southern Greece the moment Theodosius had turned his men around. It was not Theodosius who would trap Titurius; it was Titurius who would trap Theodosius. When the army of the Eastern Empire approached Epirus they were caught on their heels by the legions of the Western Empire. After a bloody battle that lasted for two days, Theodosius attempted a retreat, only to run into his enemy’s Frankish allies. Luckily, his army still had enough strength to penetrate the Frankish lines, and Theodosius and a small fraction of his men were able to escape.

From this point onward, the war would take a rather more sinister tone.

I wonder how the pagans will be able to suppress the christians, this may turn into a sort of "civil war" I think ;)

General Jac said:
I wonder how the pagans will be able to suppress the christians, this may turn into a sort of "civil war" I think ;)
You mean....a civil war within a civil war?! :eek: ;)

Love it. I hope you'll be using the SPQR flag and will be retaining aspects of Roman culture in the 21st century.

Marchalk_Zjukov said:
A paigan Western rome, no pope in rome then :rofl: ?
That part is still to come...

Tribulation said:
Love it. I hope you'll be using the SPQR flag and will be retaining aspects of Roman culture in the 21st century.
Yes, but its actually the 20th Century. ;)

*Teaser Screenshot Alert*

tess.jpg

SEG-CISR said:
Yugoslavia exists!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: THE EMPIRE HAS BROKEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
;)

To what extent is the real question.

Technique said:
;)

To what extent is the real question.
What is that smiley doing there? WHAT DID YOU DO! DID YOU BREAK UP MIGHTY ROMA INTO PUNY LITTLE STATES!? WHAT OF CENTRAL EUROPE?! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *Pulls out hairs*

All this will be very nice once it begin. Can i make a small flag suggestion for the Roman Empire?...

spqr2dl5.png

spqr2flageh3.png

Good luck with this AAR, and good luck with the modding before.