• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fiftypence

Debased coinage
35 Badges
Aug 19, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
Those of you currently reading my Crusader Kings AAR, "Drunk on Burgundy" will probably think I'm mad for starting a new AAR, but I have a lot of spare time at the moment and thought I'd see if I could juggle two AARs simultaneously. This will be the story of an Ireland that successfully managed to repeal the Act of Union in early 1836, told in story form with main characters being real Irish nationalists from the time. I'm not a professional author or anything, but I hope I can tell a decent story and do justice to the beautiful land of Ireland. Hopefully there may be some Irish readers to correct any glaring mistakes I may make, as I'm sure there will be many :( :D

Those of you not reading my other AAR, shame on you :mad: ;) For the time being updates will be fairly frequent (hopefully at least once every three days), but if I get writers block then who knows? I still have some research to do, so expect the first update in a couple of days. Thus, all comments an criticisms are welcome. Also, please don't let the fact that I'm English bias your judgement, and I'm sure that if I get the chance to kick the UK in the groin then I will happily oblige! Wish me luck!

Sounds interesting. Be careful not to let Drunk on Burgundy get behind because of this, though. I'd hate to see that happen, but I will follow along here. :)

Go Ireland!!!!!

Good luck with Ireland let us hope that it gets the glory it deserves!

The Isle of Dreams

'What thoughts were mine in early youth! like some
old Irish song,
Brimful of love and life and truth, my spirit gushed
Along,
I hope to right my native isle, to win a soldier's fame,
I hoped to rest in woman's smile, and win a minstrel's
Name.'

Prologue.

15th November 1835, Dublin

The fire burnt brightly, warming up all those that sat around it. Flicker, flicker it went, a life giving hypnotic dance. Thomas Osborne Davis sat watching, transfixed by the flames, but also deep in thought. The fire, the giver of life. But also the destroyer. It cares not for the sacred, and before it all things stand equal-

“What are ye thinkin’ about, Sonny Jim?”

The barman had been watching him for a while, noticing with concern how Thomas’ pint glass was as full as it had been fifteen minutes ago.

Thomas looked up, mildly irritated by the interruption. “What?”

“I said, what are ye thinkin’ about? Ye should be concentratin’ on yer pint, lad.”

Thomas regarded the barman, a portly man with scraggly grey hair and bright red cheeks, and could not help smiling at the sight of the kindly old fool.

“Do you care about anythin’ other than beer? Alright, I’ll finish me pint.”

Thomas downed the remaining beer and placed the glass on the bar. “If ye must know, I was thinkin’ about the fire”

“Yes, I could see that. Fire’s a wonderful thing at this time o’ year.”

Thomas forbeared laughing at the old simpleton, as he wondered away to serve another customer. He had not even asked the obvious question, what about the fire?! However, a few moments later the barman returned.

“See that man over there?”

Thomas looked across the bar at the customer that had just been served. He looked about sixty years old, with hair cut short at the back but slightly longer at the front. From his dress, Thomas judged him a man of quality. He also seemed somewhat familiar.

“What about him?”

“He is Daniel O’Connell, Member of Parliament for County Clare.”

Thomas paused, and looked again at the man. Why would someone of his standing come to a tavern such as this?

“I know what yer thinkin’, Sonny Jim,” the barman said, before Thomas comment. “Well, I might as well tell ye, he’s an old friend o’ mine. We go back years and years. Another pint?”

“Yeah, sure,” said Thomas, still slightly distracted by developments. Daniel O’Connell! The Great Liberator, the man who had brought about the Catholic Emancipation several years back (for it's only fair they should be free to vote)! Who in Ireland hadn’t heard of him? Formulating thoughts to go and introduce himself, he was interrupted again,

“Yer pint, laddie.”

The barman could see the eagerness in Thomas’ eyes towards O’Connell, and leaned towards him.

“Hows about I introduce ye to him? I’m sure he would be only too pleased to make acquaintance with a thoughtful young man such as yourself.”

Maybe not such an old fool, thought Thomas, as he followed the barman, whose name was Niall, to where O’Connell was standing. He watched as Niall whispered something into O’Connell’s ear, and was taken aback when the MP looked up suddenly straight into his eyes. As O’Connell beckoned him over, Thomas felt as though the very depths of his soul had been examined. He just hoped that it had passed the test.

“Daniel O’Connell, pleased to make your acquaintance. Niall here told me, but I forgot your name,” He raised his eyebrows questioningly.

“Thomas Osborne Davis,” he said quickly, wincing slightly at the product of nerves and excitement that had just come out of his mouth. “It is an honour to meet ye.”

“Shall we sit.” It was less a question and more a definitive statement. As the two gentlemen sat down, Thomas thought he could hear a tinge of French, or maybe Italian in O’Connell’s accent. As the younger took a sip of his pint, the elder took the opportunity to speak.

“Niall tells me you’re a thoughtful young man. Tell me, what sort o’ things do you think about?” Thomas looked at O’Connell only half-believing that this was actually happening. Never in a million years would he have imagined that the Great Liberator would be interested in anything he thought about!

“I think about Ireland.” O’Connell nodded. “I think about her clear blue skies, her majestic forests and her clear blue streams, her soil that produces nourishment and bounty and her fields so green.” Thomas stopped, wondering if his listener was taking any of this seriously. However, from the old man he only got genuine sincerity, and so carried on.

“But most of all I think about her people, whose history and fate seem to stand in stark contrast to all that I said before. I believe Ireland has a destiny, of freedom and independence, and when these two are achieved the nation of Ireland will stand before the world as a beacon of hope and truth, and that all disenfranchised people may gain inspiration by looking upon the triumph that is my homeland.”

O’Connell took a sip of beer, smiled and nodded.

“Noble sentiments indeed, and said with passion and vigour. So you believe, like so many here, that Ireland has a destiny. But may I ask, what steps would you take to reach this destination?”

“Any,” came the reply, much more succinct than O’Connell had been expecting.

“Including violence?”

Thomas opened his mouth to speak but stopped, remembering how the man before him had made a point of trying to get freedom peacefully after the violent uprisings earlier in the century, all of which had been doomed to failure. However, Thomas was not one to modify his views so as to please his audience.

“I believe violent protest is the only realistic option open to us. Isn’t that so?”

O’Connell looked at the young man and smiled knowingly.

“Maybe not.” The fire continued to burn.

Last edited:
A good start. As a suggestion, you might think about breaking up your paragraphs and lines for easier reading. It helps these tired eyes, that's for sure.

An example might be this:

The fire burnt brightly, warming up all those that sat around it. Flicker, flicker it went, a life giving hypnotic dance. Thomas Osborne Davis sat watching, transfixed by the flames, but also deep in thought. The fire, the giver of life. But also the destroyer. It cares not for the sacred, and before it all things stand equal-

“What are ye thinkin’ about, Sonny Jim?” The barman had been watching him for a while, noticing with concern how Thomas’ pint glass was as full as it had been fifteen minutes ago.

Thomas looked up, mildly irritated by the interruption. “What?”

“I said, what are ye thinkin’ about? Ye should be concentratin’ on yer pint, lad.”

Thomas regarded the barman, a portly man with scraggly grey hair and bright red cheeks, and could not help smiling at the sight of the kindly old fool.

Rather than this:
“What are ye thinkin’ about, Sonny Jim?” The barman had been watching him for a while, noticing with concern how Thomas’ pint glass was as full as it had been fifteen minutes ago. Thomas looked up, mildly irritated by the interruption.
“What?”
“I said, what are ye thinkin’ about? Ye should be concentratin’ on yer pint, lad.” Thomas regarded the barman, a portly man with scraggly grey hair and bright red cheeks, and could not help smiling at the sight of the kindly old fool.

Other than that, great beginning. Let's see some more. :D

I've decided that this is going to be a less serious, more light-hearted look at the history of the emerald isle, with lots of nice screenshots. Update tomorrow, hopefully.

The Isle of Dreams

Part 1

January 3rd 1836

Ire1DanOConnell.bmp

Daniel O'Connell

Daniel O’Connell strode around his new office, picking up and examining the inkwell, looking with joy at the map on his wall, eventually sliding towards his chair, a spectacular leather beast. As he sunk into the sumptuous leather, there was a rap on the door.

“Enter.”

A nervous young man entered. “Uh, you called for me.”

“Yes, indeed. Did you get that information I asked for?”

The young man handed a folder to O’Connell, “They wouldn’t give everything, and remember the information is British, and they are the enemy.”

O’Connell smiled. The British, oh those poor fools! Rather, those poor fools that elected William Lamb as Prime Minister… He looked up at the man. “You may go.”

“Yessir,” he said, and marched out of the oak doors.

O’Connell picked up the dossier and flicked through it. Ah yes, very colourful, he thought, as his eyes fell upon various graphs and pie charts denoting the demographic statistics of the Irish population:

Ire3.jpg

“Hmm, six million people.” O’Connell carefully placed the dossier on his desk, and replayed the events of the past few months. The first President of the Republic of Ireland! He would go down in the history as an Irish folk hero, like Brian Boru before him. The new Brian Boru, that had a ring to it… Then his mind moved on to William Lamb. What a fool, a pitiful idiot who let the emerald isle slip from his fingers all because he had an affliction whereby he would chase any bit of skirt that presented itself to him. It had not been blackmail; that sounded so sordid to O’Connell. No, he had merely done a deal with Lamb, repeal the Act of Union and I keep my mouth shut about his women.

Anyway, no one in Ireland cared too much for how independence had been gained, that was not the issue. Peter Flaghearty, Irish Foreign Minister, approached O’Connell’s office, but before he knocked there came a voice from inside the office.

“Come.”

Peter entered the office, never quite sure how O’Connell knew he was coming.

“So what’s our diplomatic situation, Peter?”

“Um, well, we have reasonable relations with the UK, which is probably a wise course of action. The United States also sent us a lavish gift, that grandfather clock over there,” said Peter, pointed to a towering wooden clock in the corner of the room. “Don’t forget, the American’s were the first country to officially recognise the Irish Republic. Unfortunately, they don’t like to dally in European affairs, so an alliance with them is probably not feasible.”

“Right. We need to pursue diplomatic avenues in Europe. Send messages of friendship to France and Prussia, and possibly Russia. If we can get these countries to at least guarantee our independence then we’ll be in a much better position.”

“Sure. Just one last thing, what about the UK?”

O’Connell smiled. “Just make sure they don’t forget that we are not part of the British Empire anymore. You can go now. Oh, and let Thomas in.”

Peter shook his head in wonder as Thomas entered, rewarded by O’Connell with the Ministry of Finance. Of course, the young idealist did not know a jot about how economies worked or budgets, but he was willing to learn and that was good enough for the President. Some had criticised O’Connell for appointing so young a man to so high a post, but it was his government and he would appoint whomever he liked.

“You have the budget information?”

Thomas handed the President a file, which O’Connell flicked through.

Ire4.jpg

“I like it. Hopefully with my intended industrial reform there will be much bigger for you to deal with in the future. We’ll talk more tomorrow.”

Thomas left the room, and realising he had no more appointments for a while O’Connell fell asleep in his chair.

Ire5.jpg

Economic map of the new Republic.

huzzah! an ireland AAR! hope this one doesent go the way of the others..
In exchange for being a loyal viewer, i request you help the confederacy with indipendance regardless of the unprofitability or difficulty of the venture.

Actually, i doubt you'll do that. and ill read anyway! good luck :)

I'm waiting for the animal metaphors, similes, and puns to start. ;)

Sorry, this is a serious AAR. It does, however, seem to be progressing at a snail's pace... Update tomorrow, or otherwise this AAR will be as dead as a dodo.

Fiftypence said:
Sorry, this is a serious AAR. It does, however, seem to be progressing at a snail's pace... Update tomorrow, or otherwise this AAR will be as dead as a dodo.

Im checking several times a day for an update. Please dont let it die! ive got it in my head that you must lead irish troops to victory in the name of the confederacy during the civil war! go go go! and liberate scotland too if possible! you've got lofty goals imposed on you by a stranger, my friend. no time for you to be napping!

The Isle of Dreams

Part 2

March 6th 1836

“Mr. President, there are some very angry young men here to see ye”

O’Connell looked up from his morning paper.

“Well, who are they?”

“They call themselves the ‘Fenian Brotherhood’, and I think they might be drunk,” said the aide.

O’Connell sighed, himself suffering from a few too many pints the night before. This was all he needed. Why couldn’t people just leave him alone?

“Oh all right, let ‘em in.” He watched as three men traipsed in, and towered over his desk. The tallest one slammed down a map on O’Connell’s desk.

“Look at this, will ye!” O’Connell picked up the map, which unsurprisingly was of Ireland.

“Yes, it’s a map of the republic. One that appears to have Belfast circled in red ink.” Or blood, he thought.

“Aye, Belfast. An’ what island is Belfast on?”

“Um, well, Ireland but-“

“But me no buts, Mr President! We demand you declare war on the English. As ye well know, they are currently fighting’ a war in the Punjab that’s not goin’ so well. Belfast must be a part of the Irish Republic!”

O’Connell looked at the three men, and burst out laughing.

“You come in here telling me what to do? Get out! I don’t need this.”

The main speaker picked up his map and they proceeded to leave. But just as he reached the door, he turned to O’Connell.

“Ye haven’t heard the last of us!”

The door slammed shut.

1.jpg

Minus 5 prestige and +2 militancy for Irish POPs or war with UK

May 11th 1836

At last, Ireland had an army. It had been a long few months, and recruitment had been relatively slow. But finally, Ireland could be said to be a nation. Of course, there was not too much that ten thousand men could do, but they could at least provide for homeland defence, which was enough for the time being. Upon the development of the army and the military industrial complex, Clausewiz had been very influential. O’Connell gathered his cabinet for a meeting.

“So, let’s start with foreign affairs. Peter?” The young minister cleared his throat.

“Um, well, the Dutch Civil War continues, with a Dutch offensive into central Belgium this very week. The British appear to be sitting and watching while the Dutch tear Belgium to pieces!”

“And what is our position?”

“We are officially neutral, but want the Dutch to win. Mainly because the British support Belgium. To be honest, we don’t really have a position.”

“Well we should. Over to you, Colin”

Colin Marney was the Minister for Industry, and one of the old guard.

“Well, Mr President, as you know the British left us with very little industrial technology. However, there are plans for expanded cotton and lumber mills to be completed in a few years. Other than that, our distilleries down south continue to pump out beer for the populace.”

2.jpg

O’Connell sighed. Yes, the British left us with very little indeed, he thought.

“What about railways?”

“We have begun work on a basic railway in Limerick, but that won’t be finished until the end of the year.”

"Well, does anyone have anything else to say? If not, then I would like to discuss the new constitution, finished this very week. As you all know we have modelled our republic on the United States, and as such our constitution very much resembles theirs, other than the influence that the Irish Catholic Church has had. It has been signed and completed, and elections for the first offical government will be held in December 1837, by which time we should have all the relevant structures in place. Of course, thr Repealer Party will be disbanded, and I will stand for the Whigs. I'm sure you will all support my bid to be the first offical President of Ireland, as such support will be rewarded with government positions. And thus concludes this meeting."

The assorted ministers filed out, muttering between themselves. O'Connell sat back in his chair, and lit a cigar.

Ire10.jpg

The political situation

Last edited:
Indeed, not much you can really do with 10k men unless it's pick on a really small uncivilised nation.

Fiftypence said:
If I had a navy, then maybe. But atm I can't get any clipper convoys. Industry first, conquest later. :p

Huzzah for ireland! I hope the expanding cotton textiling industry in ireland means a future of irish intervention for the confederacy :)

Get Belfast! Get Colonies!

If the UK supports the Union, then Ireland will definitely support the CSA. If not, then I guess the CSA will be condemned to its usual fate... As for Scotland, they can liberate themselves! :p

I should probably mention that I have removed all UK claims on Ireland other than Belfast, because the UK voluntarily gave Ireland independence, and thus renounced all claims. Belfast remains British because it has a 75% British majority. As for machine parts, I edited the custom 20 mps given to civilised sattelites to 5, so as to allow some early industrial expansion. I edited the techs to be Army - 5 Navy - 7 Commerce - 5 Culture - 5 Industry - 5, so as to represent the relative backwardness of Ireland compared to UK in this period. Also I made Ireland a democracy with national value being liberty.

Last edited:
Fiftypence said:
If the UK supports the Union, then Ireland will definitely support the CSA. If not, then I guess the CSA will be condemned to its usual fate... As for Scotland, they can liberate themselves! :p

I should probably mention that I have removed all UK claims on Ireland other than Belfast, because the UK voluntarily gave Ireland independence, and thus renounced all claims. Belfast remains British because it has a 75% British majority. As for machine parts, I edited the custom 20 mps given to civilised sattelites to 5, so as to allow some early industrial expansion. I edited the techs to be Army - 5 Navy - 7 Commerce - 5 Culture - 5 Industry - 5, so as to represent the relative backwardness of Ireland compared to UK in this period. Also I made Ireland a democracy with national value being liberty.

Tch! why must all of europe sit on the fencepost waiting for UK's response on the war for southern indipendance? take action! show the bluebellies REAL irish brigades!

So, you handicapped yourself? how do you plan on taking belfast? surely the british wont just give it to you if you can take it and hold the island, unless maybe britain was in a large war..