The Great Shattering Illusion - What if WW1 Never Happened?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fixed

I remember the old PTEAP mod and thought that it had unrealised potential. So I've downloaded this mod and played as Russia. I can see that this is still a work in progress (lots to fix and gaps to fill) but I've played up to 1941 with no crashes. Events observed so far; Civil war in France (expected), Danubian Federation declares war on Germany (not expected) and gets smashed, Greece attacks Ottoman Empire (no surprise there) and gets stuck. I allied with Greece and smashed the Turks. Britain (and allies) plus Colonial France fights war against Spain. Siam attacks Indochinese Union and gets beaten. Hungary (freed from Austria) defeats Romania. No war in China yet.
I like the small detail changes; land ships instead of tanks, dirigibles as naval brigades (this works better than as separate units IMO) and the differences to the tech tree in general. But I was slightly startled to see Tsar Nicholas replaced with Kerensky for no apparent reason at the start of 1939!:confused:
I'm not a modder (time to play but not for modding) but I will try playing as other nations and see what happens. Good luck to all the team. Take your time with this, I think it's worth the effort.

• 1Like
Reactions:
we need to re-download the file?
Redownload the mod yes

I remember the old PTEAP mod and thought that it had unrealised potential. So I've downloaded this mod and played as Russia. I can see that this is still a work in progress (lots to fix and gaps to fill) but I've played up to 1941 with no crashes. Events observed so far; Civil war in France (expected), Danubian Federation declares war on Germany (not expected) and gets smashed, Greece attacks Ottoman Empire (no surprise there) and gets stuck. I allied with Greece and smashed the Turks. Britain (and allies) plus Colonial France fights war against Spain. Siam attacks Indochinese Union and gets beaten. Hungary (freed from Austria) defeats Romania. No war in China yet.
I like the small detail changes; land ships instead of tanks, dirigibles as naval brigades (this works better than as separate units IMO) and the differences to the tech tree in general. But I was slightly startled to see Tsar Nicholas replaced with Kerensky for no apparent reason at the start of 1939!:confused:
I'm not a modder (time to play but not for modding) but I will try playing as other nations and see what happens. Good luck to all the team. Take your time with this, I think it's worth the effort.

That issue with Tzar Nicholas is likely and end date thing that we will fix. Looking forward to your continued feedback!

I'm glad you like the mod. The Danube vs. Germany war is a bit of a unicorn event, but it was working as designed. The switch between Czar Nicholas and Kerensky is a bug that we will fix next patch.

Our focus for this patch was making Europe interesting to play into the early 1940s, so China, North America, and South America still lack events. Our next patch will focus on Asia, including new paths for Russian expansion in this region. In the meantime, I would suggest Greece, Italy, and of course the French factions as countries to consider.

For some reason I can't play this mod. After selecting a nation and starting it, it quits the game. This is in the savedebug:
Reading Mods\GSI build 4 new tech - experimental\map\map_1\navaldist2.tbl... Done! (1380 naval provinces, Read distances = 1904400)

ERROR : (Illegal Command Type) 'type = add_claim_region' Line = 1227 file = Mods\GSI build 4 new tech - experimental\db\events\Generic\Annexations.txt

I tried both versions on this forum and its the same.

I'll reinstall today my Darkest Hour. It is possible that I messed up something, because only the base game runs flawlessly, but multiple mods have issues.

Redownload the mod yes

That issue with Tzar Nicholas is likely and end date thing that we will fix. Looking forward to your continued feedback!

I've been playing as Britain and hit a problem; I can't reload any saved game after 1938. A saved game from July 1939 partly loads, then crashes. Same for the autosave from May 1939. Save from November 1938 loads fine. Checked the savedbug file and found this error.

ERROR : (TZ\TZ\W]`X^aTZ]SY[U[]TZ\V[[TYZTY[UZ]UZ\SXZUZ[X\]X\^[`aZ_aW\^TZ\V\^\beY_bW\]X\]VYYWZ[\_a[_aX\_Y\`W\^W\^VZ]V[]Z]`[_bY]`W[]UY[TYZVZ]W\_W\aW^bW]bTZ^TZ]V\`W]aU[^QWZOVXZ^`\`aX\]VZ\X\^V[\V[\V\]W\]Y]`W\_TY\X\^Z]__de]`bY]_W\]Z^aV[]Z^a^bd]bc]ac[\_]_a_bc^aaY\\]``_cc^ʲT) 'anti_tank = {' Line = 24065 file = Mods\Great Shattering Illusion v4\scenarios\save games\United Kingdom_1939_July_1.eug

Hmm....

Thanks for letting me know. I've run into that bug a few in my own test versions. It sometimes corrupts the autosaves, but manual saves have always been safe.

We'll upload a fix when we find the cause of the bug.

I tried running the game for the United Kingdom past 1938 again; error message as follows.

ERROR : () 'anti_tank = {' Line = 56129 file = Mods\Great Shattering Illusion v4\scenarios\save games\United Kingdom_1939_May_1.eug

So I’ll leave it there and try another nation.

One comment on the United Kingdom in this mod. Why so many weird names for Royal Navy ships?

‘HMS Thunder Child’?? The Royal Navy has lots of suitable names for capital ships without using names drawn from fiction.

An aircraft carrier named ‘HMS Homestead’?? ‘HMS Audacious’ is a more plausible name; it had been used before for capital ships and it’s consistent with the other large carriers.

And as for the cruisers! "HMS Mortifacotrs"!? This isn’t a word in the English language! Just three examples; I would mention more but that would be boring.

I realise gameplay is much more important but having implausible names for units just ruins the atmosphere.

If you wish, I can prepare an order of battle for the Royal Navy which fits with your version of the Washington Treaty (20 battleships, 9 carriers) and with the plans the Royal Navy had drawn up before WW1 and thereafter, assuming the war didn’t happen. I do know how to modify the ‘inc’ files in the pteap folder; I have done something like this before with an earlier version of ‘Darkest Hour’. And the game ran ok.

One comment on the United Kingdom in this mod. Why so many weird names for Royal Navy ships?

‘HMS Thunder Child’?? The Royal Navy has lots of suitable names for capital ships without using names drawn from fiction.

An aircraft carrier named ‘HMS Homestead’?? ‘HMS Audacious’ is a more plausible name; it had been used before for capital ships and it’s consistent with the other large carriers.

And as for the cruisers! "HMS Mortifacotrs"!? This isn’t a word in the English language! Just three examples; I would mention more but that would be boring.

I realise gameplay is much more important but having implausible names for units just ruins the atmosphere.

If you wish, I can prepare an order of battle for the Royal Navy which fits with your version of the Washington Treaty (20 battleships, 9 carriers) and with the plans the Royal Navy had drawn up before WW1 and thereafter, assuming the war didn’t happen. I do know how to modify the ‘inc’ files in the pteap folder; I have done something like this before with an earlier version of ‘Darkest Hour’. And the game ran ok.

Maybe we did go a bit overboard with them, yea. I've nothing against improving the .inc files, so I'd say go ahead.

Right now in canon Poland is a self-governing province of Russia. If you play as Poland, you won't be making foreign policy decisions, but you will have opportunities for combat - either by giving auxiliaries to help Russia in the Far East or by serving as the first line of defense against German Aggression.

(In a Russo-German war, you might get a chance to switch sides, but no guarantees).

Maybe we did go a bit overboard with them, yea. I've nothing against improving the .inc files, so I'd say go ahead.

I've completed the revised .inc file for the United Kingdom with a revised Royal Navy and a change log file so you can see what I've done and why. How would you them sent? As attachments to a post on this forum?

Just in passing, I'm still getting the same (or similar) crash past 1938 for each game I save. If I get one that doesn't crash I'll let you know.

Thanks very much! I'll replace the csv file and run a new game. The attached zip file has the new .inc file and a change log.

Attachments

• GSI_uk_inc.zip
    19,7 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the file, I'll add it my version of the mod.

It turns out that my CVS file did fix some text errors, but it does not stop the game from crashing. :(

If anyone knows about DH tech customization, I would greatly appreciate their advice.