• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent. If you decide to turn this into a consolidated document (or a draft for a publisher, if you ask me), you might add a few subheadings to your last post.

Excellent. If you decide to turn this into a consolidated document (or a draft for a publisher, if you ask me), you might add a few subheadings to your last post.

Thank you :)

Fantastic work, congratulations. You should think about publishing this in print one day.

The division of Armenia show that Rome and the Sassanid Empire were in fact capable of an agreement to delimitate their respective spheres of interests. And this agreement stood for quite a long time. I wonder why such thing was impossible in Mesopotamia or other disputed areas.

Last edited:
Fantastic work, congratulations. You should think about publishing this in print one day.

The division of Armenia show that Rome and the Sassanid Empire were in fact capable of an agreement to delimitate their respective spheres of interests. And this agreement stood for quite a long time. I wonder why such thing was impossible in Mesopotamia or other disputed areas.
It stood because both sides had bigger problems to deal with. And as told above, even then the agreement was tested a couple of times by political manipulations and limited military interventions. The key is not to think of it as a satisfactory agreement to either side but as an issue they weren't willing to escalate. Limited probes with only local military resources, yes, but no mobilization from other parts of their respective empires while being invaded on other fronts.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Thanks again. The reason, as stated by Barsoom, is that the larger geopolitical picture had changed a lot, and that with the Hunnic presssure mounting both in Europe and Central Asia, both empire (for the first time in their joint history) had other priorities, and those priorities had much in common. When this situation changed at the start of the VI c. CE, both empires began fighting once more.

Reactions:
I've been reading since the beginning. And I've been enjoying myself immensely, thak you.

I can only applaud your persevarance. Looking forward to further chapters!

Thanks!

I have to say that this thread and its predecessor have been a great joy to read for the past few years. I knew literally nothing about ancient Iran before starting to read them and these threads have revealed it to be a fascinating subject. Not to mention the chapters on Central Asia, those were very very illuminating and habe motivated me to learn more about it.

It would be great if at some point the threads can be packed in a pdf; especially for Rise of the Sassanians which has quite a few dead pics already.

Keep up the good work!

Could you compile your finished threads into a portable document? That would make it much easier to consult them as a reference.

I already did so last year. Here you have the thread with the download links (with the threads in pdf format).