• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter VII: Nothing Quiet on the Western Front

Well, this AAR is way overdue, but I have to finish it. As it turns out, I still have pictures for it, and, if anyone is watching, the will see a epic struggle till my last breath. I am a bit lazy in editing pictures, so bare with it. The pictures are also small in number, as I was focused on combat.

uv8y.jpg

This is the battle that started it all... My troops, seeing only weak Slovakian resistance there moved to take the Dutch territory, but it failed miserably. The Slovakians were wiped out easily, but when I almost got into the province, 2 German armored divisions attacked. But it took an extra mountain and infantry division to stop this assault.

580a.jpg

Soon the provinces of Turnholt and Hasselt were taken. Although they were a bit vital for the assault on the Netherlands, I threw all fiction away and fell back, therefore having my defense line behind a river and shortened by a province. I also changed my plans, and sent the divisions from Namur to Bastogne, as they were protected by a river, and protected Liege from a flank.

8xvz.jpg

This is just what I wanted to show. The BMS Wielingen, the leech on my rares and the only battleship(yeah right) of Belgium was finished.

aitx.jpg

ARE YOU F****** KIDDING ME!:mad: The Latvians and Estonians held out for almost half a year, but the Finns, the heroes of Talvisota couldn't hold out for 2 MONTHS! To get rid of more normal and caps-lock rage, I will say this: Soviet Union declared war on Finland in the 20th of May. They surrender on 15th of June (I noticed it 3 days later). It seems, that General Winter was at vacation while Finland was attacked. It seems logical, since he had a hard task helping the Baltic States(those who weren't cowards).

m1jf.jpg

As the front was quieting down, I went the Ikarases way and started the invasion of Denmark (in the only place where it was feasible). This is how it turned out. At that time I wasn't really good at invasions, but I now know, that attacking the port from one direction is suicide. But at that time I thought my troops were superior then German /facepalm/. As I lose a division, I get a lesson, and look for a target more..southward...

ddn8.jpg

z44b.jpg

p9kr.jpg

This series of images will start the year 1941. Not surprisingly, Leopold the Scared and his gang of liberals stay in office. I would actually prefer someone else, as he was knocking my National Unity down. I'm also starting to upgrade some of my troops as marines. Too bad they won't see fighting... But the last image is the best. It light a candle of hope, that Belgium can hold the war, as it's also slowing down many events like the invasion of Greece and Yugoslavia. By now I consider my task "done", as I have held for a year, that I shouldn't even have survived.But now the harsh year of 1941 will test me...

dpwz.jpg

gkqq.jpg

The Germans aren't scared of some 150000 British troops and start a offensive there. They have quick success as the British are cut off and pushed far back at the north. Most troops meet their doom there, but some of them are taken back to UK, which would soon be known as "the miracle of Amsterdam". But a few days after the last British surrender, a unknown shade of blue attacks Germany. They quickly take the territories lost by British, but they don't unite with the British, who, instead of helping Belgium in increasing attacks on Amsterdam and Liege, protect the last Dutch soil till their death. The only allied troops, that are "helping" me are a cavalry division sent by New Zealand. But they aren't much of help, cause our militias have batter weapons are MUCH more advanced doctrines.

qlke.jpg

w8ud.jpg

0dfx.jpg

An invasion to the South was launched, as a way to stop the constant German flow to the front lines, and I also needed to retaliate for the division lost at Denmark. Sicily was a great target for it. It was protected by troops with the same strength of Slovakia, and I also needed to take revenge for another thing - those spaghetti eaters blew up my marines! With large difficulties I took Palermo, but after that, my 2 divisions had a walk in the park. In the end, a 1000 Italians were killed of wounded, while 6000 more surrendered to the might of Belgium.

The update might have been a short one, but I really don't have time now. I will try to finish this AAR as soon as possible, so that I can have less burden and more space for thinking of another AAR. And I really don't want to call this AAR "dead"!

Erghm Erghm? BELGIUM HAS A PROPER NAVY INSTEaD OF SOME MINESWEEPERS NOW! CONGRATZ!

Ahh, the French. Reliable as always. When you need someone to idly sit on your border while the enemy pounds your army into dust, they're the ones to call. :D

Waaaait... Americans in Europe in 1941? The game is really doing some crazy stuff in this AAR. I haven't seen the puppetisation of Finland before, either. But hey, you can't blame them - they saw what happend to the Baltic States. If the Soviets broke through the Mannerheim line, there was little choice... isn't submission preferable to extinction? And you know... it's kind of logical that General Winter was on vacation in the middle of summer. :D

Congratulations on the BMS Wielingen, she must be a pride-inspiring sight. : ) And gz on Sicily, nice one there.

TrenchRifleman said:
But at that time I thought my troops were superior then German /facepalm/.
It's not as ridiculous as you think. German AI in HPP is a bit inept when it comes to research (at least it used to be a few versions ago; haven't tested the latest ones). In my game as Poland I found I did have better equipment, especially my tanks - the Germans had medium and heavy armour, but they were all experimental models without ANY techs researched. Their infantry also lagged behind. Your troops may very well be superior after all.

And I really don't want to call this AAR "dead"!
We wouldn't want to either. The events are developing in a very interesting way here.

It's not as ridiculous as you think. German AI in HPP is a bit inept when it comes to research (at least it used to be a few versions ago; haven't tested the latest ones). In my game as Poland I found I did have better equipment, especially my tanks - the Germans had medium and heavy armour, but they were all experimental models without ANY techs researched. Their infantry also lagged behind. Your troops may very well be superior after all.

I agree. If I didn't point that out, I could stomp Germany all day long as Czechoslovakia, like I showed in my (TFH!) AAR. The German INF with SUP units had only 4 piercing compared to my 8 ARM armor, so I was granted armor advantage, unless they thrown in some HARM, most of the times! :)

Thanks for all the comments. I'll try to answer to all of them in one blob of a reply as they are mostly the same.

About Wielingen, I'll won't say anything, but instead I'll show two images, which will say everything.

vrnz.jpg

91zb.jpg

If the Germans aren't really stronger then me, then I simply couldn't put enough meat against them. Another reason might be, that my arty wasn't really upgraded (one barrel upgrade). Oh, and about the strange events, they get even stranger, as Belgium messes with everything.

You might get a update this weekend, it might be the last, it depends on my productivity.

Oh, and I wouldn't REALLY want to be the UK now!

Yay, Belgian navy for the win! :D

Ok, this will probably be the last update, as I don't have much to say,and school is really killing me, especially with all the December tests on the horizon. Oh, and Luxembourg didn't join the war, thus even in 1944, there is a cyan blob in the middle of the Third Reich

yslr.jpg

1ahk.jpg

I started a invasion of Albania right after the Battle of Palermo. We quickly won the first (and last) attack on BMS Wielingen, and (not shown in pictures), the future head of French Resistance - de Gaulle helped us with a infantry division. The French probably wasted to the same thing, as in Sardinia (I wanted to invade there, but the French bastardy took the harbor, while I kicked the Italians out of there). But Mj.General Triest played much smarter then the French. At the end of the battle, 8000 more Italians surrendered and were sent to Congo.

kqkz.jpg

yk5o.jpg

r62w.jpg

The Germans also started a assault on Messina, trying to knock my troops out of there. It seems, that they are using elite Alpine riflemen troops. But my troops were well dug in, and finally the battle was won, and it as written as the greatest Belgian victory since the battles in Ypres. But while this great battle was in progress, the German invaders finally managed to overrun my meat with their armored meat at Liege. Though the position was retaken soon after a massive counterattack, where all available troops were sent in WW1 style, 3rd largest Belgian industrial center was lost. Forever (probably until 1944). Oh, and is that a French armored division helping me in the Ardennes.

6e49.jpg

baj8.jpg

All of these "great battle " indicators show, that I have lost. The front in Belgium was surely breaking. Though Namur was taken and held for another week, I had clearly lost this. I feel like I'm commanding the troops, who fought in Talvisota, at about late February and early March, when they were pushed back, but they were holding with the last power. I think, that my troops had all the sisu that the Finns should have had in this Winter war. I think General Winter came back, seeing that my troops were the ones, who deserved his help.

This is where my "homeland" war images have ended, but it is understandable: I lost Namur, Arlon, and Leuven, which lead to the "all is lost" event. The Belgian troops were sent to Dieppe, with one noble exception - General Piron, who stayed at Metz, and killed a thousand German troops, while losing only two men, in the greatest battle, which could beat Messina in it's greatness. The troops in Dieppe were evacuated to Great Britain. My troops didn't give these territories for nothing. Leuven was retaken numerous times, but in the end the conquest of the Ardennes was what killed me. But I almost survived until 1943! I also made a small empire consisting of Sicily and Albania

I'm wondering: should I make a epilogue, which would show, what happened to my troops at Sicily and Albania? I have some images, showing Belgian success until mid-1943. But I think I did great - surviving until the 3rd of December (that's when the event kicked in).

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...elands-AAR&p=15388992&viewfull=1#post15388992

Check the Battle of Kortrijk in that chapter. Then you'll see what a WWI style of fighting is. That was actually the most important chapter of that AAR I think!

You did what you could in my opinion. Sure you're possibly not such a seasoned player as me, Barros, Karaya or whoever, but it's still a challenge to take an underdog and do wonders with them. Hell, I do that up until now...

P.S. Now I'm pretty sure everybody will want to see me how do I fare with either Belgium, Netherlands or Luxemburg separately...

If I wanted to see WW1 losses, then i would do massive militia attacks as Republic of China.

I'm going to say this: I'm still a noob at HoI 3, I could destroy the Reich as Belgium in HoI 2. If anything, I would like to see you fight with Luxembourg, as Belgium has a great beginning army, and Netherlands have a lot of potential.

I have another AAR planned, which seems just as suicidal as this one. I might start to make updates for that AAR this weekend, though I don't give any guarantees.

As for the epilogue, I will give short notes on my victories in exile, as Albania was lost a month later, along with three divisions, and Sicily crumbled at the same time as Belgium.

uid1.jpg

As the Iraqis went Axis and started operations in Syria, I saw the incapability of Arabian Puppet troops to contain situation, so I said one(EDIT: Actually two) division to start some movements in Arabian lines. The divisions in the end made a quick sweep towards Baghdad, and then I effectively cut Iraq in half.

pw8t.jpg

Belgian Exile Army consisting 12 divisions started operations in Africa to seal all of the ports in Italian Libya. The crap yellow shows the territory gained by my exile troops. The normal yellow shows my troop movements until I stopped playing. I did take the Libyan coast though.

lcug.jpg

Germans effectively started "Sealion Ost", and quickly pushed the Brits back. You see Belgian and Polish troops making most of the front lines. In the north, Scottish regiments are stopping Germans. My troop movements started the "Great Liberation".

Last edited:
Yes, I failed. But after a great and epic battle, which beats the Soviet front in every way, shape, and form!