• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First of all, congratulations for your expansion into the west; too bad that your so called allies jumped in, as they now posses land that should be yours.

Secondly, I can't stop wondering about that extended franco-german border; perhaps that'll somehow delay the german blitzkrieg; perhaps it'll weaken France, we'll find out later...

Liking this AAR.

I think it would be acceptable for you to mod in cores on your new territories. You'd think the people would be happy enough to cooperate with the government which freed them from colonial rule. You could become a champion of Pan-Africanism. It would be easy enough to drop the word "East" from the name of your country.

guy_montag: That's actually a very good idea. I don't read the comments until after I make the next update but I'll definitely look into that. Some provinces are worthless so they should be cheaper than some which have VPs or resources.

Miihkali: Lol, that's a nice way to look at the events. I'm not the type of AAR writer who goes that in-depth in discussing hypothetical situations such as that one but I like that.

Acguy: Agreed, although following the annexation of Belgium I do have quite a bit of metal and rare materials in my stockpile.

CatKnight: Haha yeah, the way alliances work in HoI is that WHOEVER I declare war on, the rest of my allies will follow suit. Such a system definitely works nicely for the little guys such as myself who gain territories at the expense of the major players in the alliance doing much of the fighting.

Timmie0307: Yeah that's a possibility. I don't really want to use cheats though so I'll either buy the provinces or leave them be and invade France later

Kaioo: Thanks! The East African Union is always ready to expand and free oppressed Africa.

Mr. Santiago: Thanks a lot! I was really prepared to get Leopoldville and Banana but those damned Frenchies stole it from me D:Yeah, the border should be very interesting as well and I'm curious as to whether or not Belgium will still join the Allies seeing its loss of territories and previous war (could prevent a trigger?)

Ahriman: I don't want to "cheat" at all so I'm kinda iffy on that idea. Dropping "East" from East African Union sounds good but I know absolutely nothing about modding and I don’t want to screw up the game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparation- Portuguese Mozambique and Angola

01.png

With research into advanced construction engineering complete, research was put into basic encryption devices.

02.png

Following the occupation of much of former Belgian Congo, resources, particularly metal and rare materials, began pouring into the East African Union economy. These resources will prove very valuable in trades and creating influence with other countries.

03.png

Basic encryption devices were successfully researched, allowing the nation to focus on an improved early hospital system which will mitigate the problems facing injured soldiers.

04.png

This is the current invasion plan of Portugal's south African colonies. The lies in red are regular infantry division routes while the lines in blue are militia division ones. Provinces with stars are significant, either having VPs or natural resources.

05.png

The East African Union moved to becoming more interventionist following the beginning of 1939. Realizing that the country needs to be heard on the international scale, the government changed its policies accordingly.

06.png

With the final East Sector militia division deployed, both sectors of the Unionist Army were ready for the invasion.

07.png

In other news, Nationalist China, losing territory at an alarming rate, annexed the southern warlord state of Guangxi Clique. The Japanese by far have the advantage and it seems like a matter of months at most until China is completely taken over.

08.png

With that said, the East African Union declared war on Portugal at 8AM on January 16, 1939. Offensive supply orders were given to all units on both fronts in order to maximize the speed of the attacks, in a blitzkrieg-esque fashion.

you should have an easy task with portuguese colonies, at least at the start, as the allies won't invade portugal soon (the ai seems to hate amphibious operations)
good luck!

regards
guy montag

It will be hard beating South Africa to that southern province... Unless you can take military control of them? Not sure how much IC they have. Watch out for that French Division, too.

And in most of my games I've actually experiences the UK being very aggressive with the Iberian peninsula when they join the axis, attacking both Spain and Portugal via the seas >_<

guy_montag: Yeah, the invasions of the Portuguese colonies were surprisingly a push-over even without Allied help. Also, I tried buying some worthless provinces in Central Africa from the British but to no avail. They were about 75% likely to give up one province if I gave them essentially half my army, a few provinces, and much of my resources XD

Acguy: Luckily, South Africa only has garrison units so I did not have to worry about them. In addition, that French unit actually went north and took Cabinda.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operation Urgent Fury

01.png

Following the declaration of war, Unionist soldiers on both fronts began marching into the two largest Portuguese colonies.

02.png

Claiming that convoy vessels are being threatened by Portuguese naval units, the United Kingdom broke off all trade agreements that it had with the East African Union. In a cabinet meeting, President Mitchell said this act was “simply a cruel way for the fools in Westminster to exert their waning control over our people”. The British government promised that all trade links would be re-established by the Unionists had little faith in such blanket statements.

03.png

With absolutely no significant resistance, both sectors of the Unionist Army traveled unopposed. After a little more than a month of fighting, around half of Portuguese Mozambique and Angola were firmly in Unionist control.

04.png

By the end of February, British and French forces had occupied Portugal proper along with its vital colonies.

05.png

In Europe, Nazi Germany had orchestrated the collapse of Czechoslovakia and the subsequent creation of its puppet state, Slovakia. Hitler had remained unopposed and it will only be a matter of time until a war breaks out. During that time, the East African Union will certainly prosper.

06.png

Poland was accepted into the alliance with open arms in April. Such news troubled politicians in the Union, seeing as how they may draw the East African Union into a war. Rather, the Union wants to expand at its own time and choosing. Needless to say, many Unionsts were becomingly increasingly angered with the alliance, keeping in mind the “theft” that occurred during the Belgian War in which France and Britain stole many of the East African Union’s rightfully deserved provinces.

07.png

April 6th marked the end of the Portuguese Empire. Its various colonies were divided by occupying powers and Portugal itself was to be “temporarily” administered by the United Kingdom until a new system of government could be set up and there would be free elections*.

08.png

With the war over, all Unionist troops were redeployed to the port city of Mombasa where they would be linked up with fresh troops and reorganized for the next engagement.

*Should I play as the UK and release Portugal as a puppet state or a free state? I’m stuck thinking about this- If I leave the game as it is, it’s more “realistic” as I’m not modding/changing anything which is what I’m trying to go for in this AAR- However, on the other side, that is something that the UK would do (releasing a country once its changed its ways) so I’m not sure…

zoli1984, Battle bunny, Acguy: Aight agreed. Thanks for the input guys. I went with what you all pretty much said which is that I played a few ingame hours as the UK in order to release Portugal and ban them from the Allies (Portugal tried rejoining right after I booted them XD Also, when I rebooted as the East African Union, the AI screwed up all my strategic redeployments and my settings D:)

For the past 1-2 posts I've been making a new post every day/other day mainly because I have had quite a bit of time available. I don't think I can keep that up but I'll try haha. Hopefully there'll be more activity but I am glad you guys are commenting and helping me us when I do have a question (ie with what to do with Portugal)

The Dissent

01.png

With fair elections taking place and a pro-democratic leader coming to office in Portugal, Allied soldiers officially pulled out the country. Thus, Portugal was given back its sovereignty with the only stipulation being the loss of its overseas colonies.

02.png

An extensive naval program was in the works, primarily focusing on landing crafts and convoys. Such units would be necessary for future invasions of Middle Eastern countries, notably Saudi Arabia.

03.png

One major source of Unionist upset with the British was the fact that British soldiers were stationed in Sudan, ready to sweep through Italian Ethiopia at the breakout of a war. For many years, this region has been claimed by the East African Union as being a vital part of the country, yet the British apparently took no heed and seem prepared to annex the whole colony.

04.png

In another unprovoked anti-Unionist act, French forces were in parts of Unionist Mozambique. Because the region was without any major Unionist military activity, these French units had essentially a free pass to march throughout the area as they pleased. Such a blatant violation of the East African Union's national sovereignty offended everyone in the country, from Nairobi to Loanda.

05.png

In what appeared to be an international conspiracy against the East African Union, Canada was the next to create problems for the country, cutting off various vital trades. For many days, Unionist politicians and economists were struggling to recreate a balance on the country's trade sheet.

06.png

Italy annexed Albania in what turned out to be a rollover of a war. Before Albania was able to even begin drawing up reserves, Italian troops were in Tirana.

07.png

In metropolitan France, French divisions were deployed all along the Franco-German border, actions which could ruin relations and potentially drag the East African Union into a state of war.

08.png

In order to make the best out the morally corrupt and anti-Unionist alliance, the East African Union carried out a series of negotiations with the UK, trading many supplies for necessary blueprints which will act as the base for the Unionist technological advancements for months to come.

09.png

In an attempt to possibly mend relations, Canada offered free metal resources to the East African Union. Of course, the deal was accepted but so was the mindset of the people and government of the East African Union; they would leave the alliance before they would be dragged into a war with the belligerent "Allies" who have continuously worked against the interests of the Union.

10.png

An early hospital system was developed which will prove useful for any future wars. Research was then put into Production Control which which will increase the efficiency of supply production.

It is obvious the Allies stand in the way of the Unions ambitions... They will have to be dealt with!

I'm also very curious as to how the war in Europe will play out with Belgium in French hands...

The Union's days within the Allies are numbered, I see. Leave them before they drag you into war in Europe, then you can drag them into war in Africa.

Curse those European pigs, they care not for the African lands or their views, they merely want more men for their war. The Allies will lead to death, and the Union must leave before they are dragged into the petty European war.

The Union can find new providers of resources.

The Union could possibly leave the Allies, and launch a quick invasion shortly thereafter into Italian Ethiopia, securing that and then calling a ceasefire with Italy possibly.

Funny how the fair elections that have taken place in Portugal have succeeded in reinstating the fallen Salazar into power in Portugal (FYI, you can thank him for the Portuguese Estada Novo, the local fascist organisation). Oh well. A Unionist invasion of Ethiopia without the Allies would be daring, but if it succeeded, then it could certainly bring benefits. However, without any cheats or modding I doubt you'd be able to secure anything worthwhile in a peace treaty without a mainland invasion. (Then again, in such special cases creating a peace event would surely be okay.)

Acguy: Yeah that’s a good point. I’m pretty sure the triggers are still up (Belgium has Brussels, etc) so I would think Germany will still DoW the country…We’ll soon find out though haha

Mr. Santiago: Hear, hear! The Union should declare who and when it wants to go to war, not some slimy French or British politicians!

Kaioo: Agreed; we certainly don’t need the Allies to keep the East African Union alive. War with Ethiopia is definitely on the table. Nice signature by the way :p

Battle bunny: Oh wow, I didn’t even notice that about Portugal until you mentioned it. I’m not sure if creating an event or playing as Italy and creating peace is too gamey though. I’d either do one of the above options or simply remain at war with the Axis and go from there.

Just an FYI; the small blurbs beneath the images are really short because my original post was deleted when the “servers are too busy” message came up so I lost a lot of motivation D:

The Separation

01.png

In the last tech swap deal between the Allies and the Union, the East African Union received another important technology that will help the country prosper in the future.

02.png

With the first naval transport unit built, the Unionist Navy became a reality.

03.png

In an event that surprised the whole world, Imperial Japan annexed the whole of Nationalist China along with its associated warlord states. Now, Japan is in a very strong position in Asia, having the potential to sweep France and Britain completely off the continent.

04.png

The East African Union left the corrupt alliance on August 2nd, 1939 in an effort to protect the country’s sovereignty and diplomatic independence.

05.png

Another naval vessel was deployed and ready for future amphibious assaults.

06.png

When Germany invaded Poland over a territorial dispute, the world was plunged into flames. World War II immediately began. The East African Union rejoiced at its neutrality

07.png

Around two weeks after the initial invasion of Poland, it was promptly annexed and split up between the Soviet Union and Germany. The German war machine was now lumbering west.

08.png

Even though the war was still on, strangely enough, many Allied countries maintained their economic aid deals with the Union. This may be an attempt to woo the country back into the alliance.

09.png

The invasion map for Ethiopia was drawn up, with much of the focus of the attack put around Addis Ababa and the port city of Massawa. Also, the units were being deployed so that potential British and French border troops would not be able to take any significant parts of the colony.

10.png

Going to war with Italy alone could be disastrous for the East African Union, seeing as how both the eastern and western coasts of the country are open for naval landings.

11.png

However, if the British were to go to war with Italy, it would have multiple benefits for the East African Union. For one, there would be protection from naval-based attacks on the country. In addition, much emphasis would be on the North African and Mediterranean theaters of war that the Union could potentially expand either in Central Africa or the Middle East.

Kaioo: Indeed, once I get through these 1-2 “slow” updates just to get up to the point where the Union goes all out, it’ll be good :p

Timmie0307: Thanks for the advice. I plan on using those landers in northern Ethiopia to prevent British invasion. Hopefully it’ll work well.

A Few Months of Calm

01.png

Production control and production planning, two technologies that are crucial to efficient industrial output, have been given priority in research.

02.png

The third naval transport was built; following construction of the fourth, Unionist naval endeavors will be put on a hold, with focus going into other fields, primarily infantry.

03.png

In Europe, Germany actually took parts of former Belgium from the French, a move which will certainly put the country in a perfect position if and when it decides to invades France proper.

04.png

Just a quick look at the Union’s industrial builds

05.png

On November 17, 1939, Stalin, in a move to flex the Red Army’s muscles, invaded Finland, citing territorial disputes as the casus belli.

06.png

With both supply efficiency techs fully developed and implemented, focus was put into creating assembly lines for even greater industrial output with supplies.

07.png

The beginning of 1940 marked a large change in the Union’s foreign policy. This was the first year that the country was truly free and thus felt that in order to see its goals fulfilled, had to take a more involved role in world affairs.

08.png

Extra industrial capacity was put into producing a surplus a supplies for when war breaks out.

09.png

After around two months of fighting, Finland surrendered and gave up the disputed provinces.