• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheArchduke

Doing his own thing
85 Badges
Oct 10, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Empire of Sin
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
styria0rm.png
The Ducal Court of Styria
styria0rm.png
Leopold III von Habsburg resides in Burg Hochosterwitz, Carinthia
post-4-1120581526.jpg

The Country

styria0rm.png

Realm: Styria
Head of State: Leopold III von Habsburg
Player: NPC
Religion: Catholic
Culture: German
Stats: 3/1/8/10/3 --> [3/1/8/10/3]
Provinces: 7
Ports: 0
Owned: Styria(3), Breisgau(2), Kärnten(3), Krain(2), Sundgau(2), Tirol(2), Ulm(3).

Map of the Realm

History

Styria in the first millennium:

The Roman history of Styria is as part of Noricum and Pannonia, with a Celtic population of the Taurisci. During the great migrations, various Germanic tribes traversed the region using the river valleys and low passes, but about 600 the Slavs took possession and settled.

When Styria came under the hegemony of Charlemagne as a part of Karantania (Carinthia), erected as a border territory against the Avars and Slavs, there was a large influx of Bavarii and other Christianized Germanic peoples, whom the bishops of Salzburg and the patriarchs of Aquileia kept faithful to Rome. Bishop Virgilius of Salzburg (745-84), was largely instrumental in establishing a church hierarchy in the Duchy and gained for himself the name of "Apostle of Karantania". In 811 Charlemagne made the Drava River the boundary between the Dioceses of Salzburg and Aquileia.

Steiermark

In the tenth century a part of Styria was separated from Carinthia under the name of the Carinthian Mark; it was also named the Windic March. The margraves ruling the mark (known as the Otakars) took from the name of the fortified castle of Steier the title of Margraves of Steiermark, and the country received its German name. During the reign of Margrave Ottokar IV Styria was raised to a duchy by the Emperor Frederick Barbarossa, in 1180.

With the death of Ottokar the first line of rulers of Styria became extinct; the region fell successively to the Babenberg family, rulers of Austria, as stipulated in the Georgenberg Pact. After their extinction to the control of Hungary 1254-60; to King Ottokar of Bohemia; in 1276 to the Habsburgs. During the Neuberger Division between Leopold III and Albert III, Leopold became ruler of Styria and Tyrolea thus making Styria his home.

Topography

Recent History

Last edited:
The House Habsburg and other Characters of the Ducal Court

l526666a.jpg

Leopold III of Habsburg

Leopold III from the Habsburg family is the Duke of Styria, Tyrolia and Carinthia. He is the son of Albert II which split up the realm upon his death between his two sons Albert III and Leopold III in the Treaty of Neuberg.

William

William is the oldest son of Leopold III of Habsburg, although still young he is already educated to become the sole heir of his father.

Ernst, Leopold and Friedrich
´
The three other sons of Leopold III of Habsburg. Friedrich is still too young as to be of any political importance.

Wolfgang of Rabenstein

Leader of the armed forces of Styria.

Reinhardt of Ehrenberg

Chancellor to Leopold III.

Last edited:
The Lands and Claims of the House of Habsburg

Map of the Realm

post-4-1121010130.jpg

Possessions of the House of Habsburg

The House of Habsburg led by Leopold III holds and lays claim on the following lands:

kuk_wappen_steiermark.gif
kuk_wappen_kaernten.gif
kuk_wappen_tirol.gif
kuk_wappen_goerz.gif

From left to right, the Duchy of Styria, the Duchy of Carinthia, the County of Tyrolia and the County of Görz.​

Additionally to those titles, the hereditary lands include the city of Trieste and the "vorderösterreichische Possessions" including not exclusively the areas of Breisgau, Offenburg, Rottenburg, Stockach, Günzburg, Tettnang, Altdorf, Winnweiler and the cities of Konstanz and Freiburg.

Claims of the House of Habsburg

Lower and Upper Austria:

A very strong claim is being held by Leopold III on Austria as if Albert III dies without an heir, Leopold III would be next in the line. Naturally the claim isn´t pressed despite his strong nature as Albert III is after all Leopold`s brother.

Inner Swiss

A strong claim is being held on the Inner Swiss, with the only possession left to the House of Habsburg being the Aargau. Several tries to rein in the Eidgenossen after the disastrous defeat in 1315 have been undertaken by Leopold III´s predecessors and it is highly unlikely that this claim won´t be pressed.

Last edited:
Relations, Treaties and Agreements

Relations

Foreign Diplomats

hung8tb.png
László Egervári from Hungary

Diplomats abroad

hung8tb.png
Count Augustin von Winnweiler in Hungary

Last edited:
The Ducal Armed Forces

knight-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Domestic Affairs and Trade

Last edited:
Religious Affairs

Last edited:
Court is now open!

Last edited:
A letter arrived from Hungary.

crest.gif

Onto Leopold III., Duke of Styria, Carinthia and Count of Tyrolia and Görz.

Even though we were unable to receive your emissary in person, the letter and news of his arrival reached us shortly thereafter. The good Count will off course receive the full hospitality of Hungary, and is welcome to stay as long as he likes.

The marriage is indeed one that brings us great hope, and we thank you for your kind words. Good relations between, Hungary, Bohemia and our Habsburg neighbours to the west would without a doubt be a great boon for the entire region. The Kingdom of Hungary only wishes peace and friendship with your great House.

Finally, we thank you for the grand gift. Perhaps this is the beginning of a new and stronger friendship between our realms. We are certainly willing to go to some length to achieve this, as we feel we have much in common.

May God be with you.

Erzsébet Angevin
Dowager Queen and Regent of Hungary

Burg Hochosterwitz, Carinthia

With his hands clasped behind his back, Leopold III. stood at the window in his private study in Hochosterwitz and looked out to Längsee just beneath the hill on which the castle stood. On the table behind him was the letter from Hungary which Leopold had just received. And he was not at all pleased, so it seemed to his first son Ernst as his father turned around to face him.

"Son, it seems as my own father´s most wise decision finally is bearing fruit as we speak!" Leopold said with unnecessary sarcasm in his voice, for as long as Ernst knew, his father had called the division of the Habsburg hereditary lands between two sons several years ago "his father´s most wise decision".

"The marriage between Bohemia and Hungary ís another step in those two realms coming closer to each other. And I don´t have to tell you how much I dislike such a strong force next to my realm and my righteuos austrian inheritance. Even more worriesome the Hungarians have already established a claim on the polish throne. As much as I hate to say it, " Leopold inhaled deeply, " I wouldn´t mind too much if the hungarians weren´t as successful on their current endeavour against the Infidel."

Ernst was shocked, "But father, you can´t seriously wish that the Turks invade Hungary the eastern bulwark of Christendom."

Leopold massaged his head with his fingers now. Pious, but foolish, my son would rather bow before a victorious Hungary, which he surely would have to, if they aren´t contained. "Invasion? The Hungarians are probably invading the turkish realm on their own as we speak." he added. "and for now neutrality is the best we can in this situation apart from sending them our best wishes."

The Duke of Styria went to the table and then spoke again, "But for now, we have to worry about our own fate. Ernst, I want you to settle my affairs in our ancient possessions in Swabia. I will not stand still until the Swiss are punished for their crimes against my house. Which means you will make sure the loyal counts are loyal and send out emmissaries to nearby bishoprics and counties as to support us against the Swiss. I do hope that in time, you can prove yourself useful by reclaiming our ancenstral home from those rebellious serfs. I want that you leave for Freiburg as soon as possible."

Ernst stood up and after bidding farewell to his father left. About time I put my sons to useful tasks, does Ernst know that he will not get one part of my inheritance when I die? At least my first son is able enough to take over when I will die. We will see how he fares in negotiating with the Trieste City Council. And again Leopold stood up and looked over the sea to the East. What shall I do about Hungary, or am I just worrying too much?

An envoy arrived from King Charles of Naples. Her name was Isabella d'Altavilla, and she was the stereotypical Neapolitan beauty: tall, dark, voluptous, and charming. Discreetly, she asked to be admitted into the Duke's presence.

Isabella d'Altavilla was admitted into the castle after being asked why she had come and the Duke had allowed her entry. She was then led to the private study of Duke Leopold III. where one guard positioned herself next to her and Leopold spoke,

"Ah, Lady d'Altavilla so I have heard. What brings me the pleasure of your visit to my realm? A diplomatic endeavour very likely connected to your Lord´s recent alliance with the Heathens in the east. But strange times bring strange allies, so tell me, what can I do for you?"

Isabella d'Altavilla smiled, "It is more of what we can do for you." She handed him a letter from King Charles.

"Charles III d'Anjou, by the grace of God, King of Naples, Jerusalem, and Albania, Prince of Achaia and Durazzo, Duke of Anjou and Provence, Lord of Corfu, et cetera, to Leopold III, Duke of Styria, Carinthia, and the Tyrol, greetings.

We have heard much about you, and your wise and capable rule. You probably have heard of the alliance recently formed between us and the Golden Horde (is it not now the talk of all Christendom?) - an alliance forged out of necessity, and not necessarily a Neapolitan disposition for alliances with the Infidel. Whilst we in no uncertain terms disapprove of the heathen beliefs of the Horde, are they not our fellow humans, the seed of Adam and Eve, the fellow creation of God?

Since her husband's death, the Queen Dowager of Hungary has shown herself to be the great whore of Babylon incarnate. We, the King of Naples, are set to marry the princess Elizabeth, who by all laws of inheritance of titles and land is the rightful Queen of Transylvania, Slavonia, Croatia, and Dalmatia - lands which were ruled by her own father, but after his death seized by his elder brother, King Lajos of Hungary. Whilst we have consented to renounce our rights to the crown of Hungary, we will not do likewise to the crowns of Transylvania, Slavonia, Croatia, and Dalmatia, and are prepared to take to the battlefield, if need be, to enforce our betrothed's rights. Of course, there will be rich pickings - very rich pickings - for any prince who lends us his aid in this venture.

Therefore, we invite you to join us in an alliance, which would be sealed by a marriage. We offer our own beloved daughter, Joanna, who is second only to her sickly brother Ladislas to our throne, as consort to your eldest, Leopold. Sometime ago she was betrothed to the nephew of the King of England, but we now seek to marry one of our nieces to him instead. Thereafter, we offered her hand to Wilhelm, brother of Friedrich of Meissen, King of Sicily, but he has not replied to our letter, leaving us free to bestow our daughter elsewhere. By marrying a royal princess, your son can of course expect to receive a handsome dowry, worthy of her lineage and regality, and also the duchy of Apulia.

By his own hand,
Charles, King of Naples, etc"

Isabella d'Altavilla smiled at the Duke. She thought him rather handsome, and she considered asking if he had a wife. However, she decided to keep herself focused on the task at hand.

Leopold´s look was grave now as he had read the letter,

"My dear Lady d'Altavilla, it seems your Lord is quite uninformed that my own son William is currently married to Hedvig Angevin since they were kids. As such it is my duty to decline your offer and I fear that your King will have to look for support in other realms. If you will excuse me now, I have other matters to attend to."

With that he snipped with his fingers and the ambassador of Naples was led out the same door he came in, the side door of the castle. But as soon as the lady had left, Leopold wrote another letter and both letters were immeaditly sent out with a rider east to Hungary.

A man arrived in Styria after riding fast for days. He had but a small entourage, as the situation dictated great haste. Once he had entered the court he presented himself to the master of ceremonies and asked for an audience with the Duke. Once he was allowed to see the Duke he handed him the following letter.

crest.gif

Onto Leopold III, Duke of Styria, Carinthia and Tyrolia,

It is said that it is in times of trouble and strife that true friends show themselves. With the recent letter there can be no doubt that our noble western neighbours have shown themselves to be just that, friends in the truest sense of the word.

Charles of Durazzo is indeed a despicable enemy, one that will go to any length to get what he wants. Surely the vile blasphemer will meet the fate he so richly deserves soon.

The man that delivered this letter, László Egervári, has our full confidence. He thus has our full confidence and the power to make any agreement with your realm and ours.

May God be with You.

Erzsébet Angevin
Dowager Queen and Regent of Hungary

Upon reading the letter, Leopold´s face brightened as he saw that the marriage between his son William and the Queen´s sister finally began to pay off. He would need a secure flank if he wanted to pay the swiss their due in the time coming. The alliance between Hungary and Bohemia had him worried, but it seemed now that the exact same alliance could prove to provide Styria with an excellent strategic position. And in the worst case Styria would have to send some men to battle some heathens in the Balcans. So Leopold said to László Egervári,

"My dear László Egervári, I would be honored to have you as my guest here in Burg Hochosterwitz. The King in Naples has really lost his mind. I mean how could I even think of attacking my son´s sister-in-law. In any case, I hope an alliance will serve to discourage any other unjustified claims of the old line and will serve your Queen protecting hers."

With this Leopold presented László Egervári the following treaty,

styria0rm.png
Pact of Friendship and Mutual Alliance between Styria and Hungary
hung8tb.png

With the growing ties of friendship between Styria and Hungary, the rulers of both Realms have in their wisdom decided to ally and sign this treaty in order to achieve common goals and interests and protect each other´s territory and claims.

Article I: Both realms recognize each other´s claims and vow to never wage war on each other.

Article II: In the event of an attack on either Styria or Hungary, the signers pledges to send military aid to repel the invader.

Article III: If a valid casus belli exists, this alliance may also act as an offensive one to actively pursue the co-signers interests.

Article IV: Styria and Hungary will grant each other right of passage at all times. The signatories pledges that care will be taken, so that damages to the lands and people of each Realm is as small as possible. Looting in friendly territory is strictly forbidden.

Article V: Both Realms pledge to not sign seperate peace in a common war.

Article VI: If military aid is unavaiable due to other threats looming, both realms pledge to support their ally with supplies, monies and diplomatic support.

[X] Leopold III., Duke of Styria, Carinthia and Tyrolia
[ ] Mária Angevin, Queen of Hungary, Croatia, of Slavonia, of Dalmatia etc..

László Egervári nodded and smiled broadly as the treaty was presented.

"This is exactly what we are looking for Your Grace! Most assuredly this will increase the security of both our realms. It is therefore my pleasure to say that this will be signed and accepted."

"There are some other things that might be discussed however. As neighbours it might be wise to discuss a trade treaty. As mere matters of trade is often handled by underlings I would be happy to discuss such things with a subordinate however."

"Other than that the Regent of Hungary feels that young Hedvig has spent much time with the scriptures lately. Indeed, Her Majesty feels that a change of scenery could be good for her daughter. So if Your Grace feels it is a good idea, perhaps the young Princess could come and spend some time here in Styria. It has been long since she has met William as well."

Leopold was pleased and he didn´t try to conceal it.

"Excellent, I do hope that our future relationship will be as prosperous as our recent understandings promise.

Now on other matters, I will let my Chancellor Reinhardt of Ehrenberg grant you an audience on matters of trade, I will tell him that he has my blessing as to conclude a treaty fair for both of us. He is not at all happy with the mercantile policies of the Venetians or the possibility of italian merchants circumventing our tolls by travelling the swiss passes."

"I would be most pleased to have young Hedwig visit us here in Burg Hochosterwitz, a fresh wind could do it good. Please reassure your Majesty that I will personally guarantee for the safety of her younger sister whilst she visits us here and I hope that young William and she will meet and appeal to each other."

jad.jpg

For one of such station, the hungarian Princess arrived quietly. She did have an entourage befitting her rank, but they did not draw attention to themselves more than was nescessary, which off course still meant that many did know they had arrived.

Besides the normal items a Princess might want, anyone inspecting the baggage would see that it contained a great many books. The Princess herself was fond of reading, and was exceptionally learned for someone so young. This was also reflected in her demeanor, as she was quiet a quiet girl and also quite pale from spending so much time indoors studying.

When engaging in conversation it was apparent that the Princess Hedvig had a keen mind, and great knowledge of the theological. Filled with kindness, she was very well liked in the hungarian court, perhaps she would be in Styria as well?

After their arrival the leader of her guards quickly approached the master of ceremonies, requesting that they be shown to the quarters of the Princess. He also requested that the Duke be notified of their arrival immediately.

Some days after the audience with the Duke, László Egervári asked for a meeting with Reinhardt of Ehrenberg. With him the hungarian ambassador had several men learned in the ways of trade and merchandising. It was hoped that an agreement could be made that was profitable for both realms.