• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What a great update - onward to the Holy Land, and whilst Maryam is a beautiful name, dont think youre fooling us. She's that ugly she needs to wear a veil to protect the innocent! I told you this would happen! :rofl:

Very nice update, Solmyr. When will we see another screenie of the European possesions?

PART X: Unfulfilled Dreams

Soon after his return to Paris, Robert decided to look for a new wife to ensure that he had enough heirs. His choice fell on Walpurga van Holland, sister of Duke Arnulf of Swabia and a strong and skilled young woman. The Duke agreed to the match and the wedding was held on February 24th, 1172.

CAROL62.gif

Robert's second wife

In March, Robert dabbled in European politics again when he agreed to an alliance with Lajos, the King of Hungary, as another counterbalance to Germany. Though Adolf of Germany tried to offer an alliance to Robert as well, Robert did not think it wise to ally with someone who would inevitably become a rival very soon, if he was not one already.

In summer, Robert's fourth daughter Isabelle also finished her education and became as good an administrator as her mother and her sister Maryam. Isabelle was at first given as a wife to chancellor Philippe de Poissy. But Philippe died in September before reaching fifty years of age, and Isabelle then remarried to a member of the O'Brien dynasty, as a way to safeguard peace with the Gaelic kingdom.

Also in July, chaplain Raymond de Marly's wound worsened and soon he died of complications. Though the Jolly Friar was notorious for his womanizing, he was nonetheless beatified by the Church (after a bit of pressure from Robert). His widow, Robert's daughter Maryam, soon remarried to Renaud de Melun, the Imperial Marshal.

Robert's wife Walpurga, despite her pregnancy (a cause of much joy for Robert), soon showed her lust for power by strengthening her influence over her husband and his court. With no better candidate available, she was soon appointed the new chancellor. In October, she was implicated in sending gangs to collect additional taxes from the lands of some of Robert's vassals. When this was revealed, Robert could barely settle the case without offending either his wife or his vassals. In November, Walpurga attempted to sideline Maryam and seize the steward's position for herself, arguing that she would be better at it. Robert had to give his wife some expensive gifts to convince her to abandon the matter.

In December, Walpurga gave birth to a son, Louis, and Robert, glad that his inheritance was secure, decided to consolidate internal structure of his lands. The county of Narbonne had long been independent after rebelling from the Duke of Languedoc, and in February 1173 Robert led his army to reclaim it. The count's army was defeated easily, and Robert laid siege to Narbonne.

On the evening of March 30th, when Robert was having his dinner, he began coughing violently, then clutched his throat and fell to the ground. Alarmed officers rushed to his aid, only to find him dead from poisoning.

Marshal Renaud de Melun did not falter. He kept the matter hushed for the moment, telling everyone that the Emperor was suffering from a mild illness. By the end of June, Narbonne was taken and incorporated into the Frankish Empire, the county given to the Duke of Spanish Marche. Only then did Renaud announce that the Emperor had been poisoned.

The news hit the realm like a bolt of lightning. Fingers were pointed, accusations were spoken, and speculations were made - Robert was poisoned by agents of the count of Narbonne, or by the Assassins from the east who wanted to avenge his conquests, or by his own wife, who wanted the throne for her sons (of whom there were now two, with little Guy born in September 1173, six months after his father's death).

The Archbishop of Francia served as the calming voice in this time of uncertainty. According to the Frankish laws of inheritance, he crowned Robert's eldest son by Bonne, young Guillaume, as the Emperor of the Franks. Soon two factions formed at court: those who supported Guillaume rallied around his sister, the steward Maryam, and her husband, marshal Renaud de Melun. Their rivals gathered around the Dowager Empress Walpurga and her two young sons, who had claims on the throne as well. The standoff looked dangerous...

CAROL63.gif

Young Guillaume II the Naive

CAROL64.gif

His Empire

--------------------------------------

Vermandois genealogy updated to November 1173.

CK is full of sudden twists of fate. :eek: :D

Incidentally, my use of Tunch Khan's Muslim faces mod caused Maryam to take off her veil, and...

CAROL61.gif

Awe, she still ain't that bad :cool:

At least the Regency won't last for too long.

Back off, she's mine :mad:

Well, if its any consolation, I think that since your heirs of Charlemagne are the Kings of France, Aragon, Castile, Galicia, León, Portugal, Navarra, Africa & Mauretania - Id say the AAR was a resounding success.

Three cheers for Solmyr!

Now, assuming the save games are unrecoverable, there is the very important question of Who Next? :)

Solmyr said:
I will probably do Orthodox again, next. Tired of all the crusading. ;)

But... but... its Crusader Kings! You have to Crusade! :)

Hmm, no Crusades... are you hinting at a Russian AAR?

Henry v. Keiper said:
Back off, she's mine :mad:

Dream on! :mad: :D Too bad about the CTD, but if it's a CTD, there's nothing you can do about it. I'll read next AAR though. :)

Edgar Francis I said:
Are you entirely certain it isn't this problem:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151065

If it is, it's exceedingly simple to fix. Even I could do it. :)

I guess it only applies if you started under 1.03a or something, but it can't hurt to check.

EF1

No, it's not that one. I started under 1.03b.

Btw, this must be the first time my readers fight over a character in my AAR. :D

So frustrating! ends on a cliffhanger!

I would have liked to see this one continue through the inevitable world conquest and confrontation with the Hordes.