• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Revan529

Field Marshal
94 Badges
Mar 28, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
This is my second attempt at an AAR (my frst ended when my computer crashed on a particular date). Hopefully, this problem has been resolved (if not, I will start working on an AAR for Crusader Kings; you can suggest a state in the comments). Anyway, as you may have already guessed, the topic of this AAR will be Armenia, a regional power directly to the north of the Seleucid Empire. I have written some of this down already, and will add the pictures at random, irregular intervals. Any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism would be much appreciated.

And, so, without further ado, we will hopefully witness the rise of the Armenian Empire!

Last edited:
Mithranes Orontid had been King for twenty years now. The intelligent Mithranes had survived the wars of the Diadochi, and had established Armenia as, not only a free, powerful state, but also the bastion of Zoroastrianism.

MithranesIOrontid.jpg

With his kingdom and court thoroughly backing him, Mithranes declared that service in the Armenian army would guarantee citizenship.

MithranesCourt11474.jpg

On the nineteenth of January, Mithranes married the beautiful and talented Artystone Aramid. At the same time, there were calls to annex the nation of Iberia, a small state to the north of mighty Armenia.

ArtystoneAramidQueenofArmenia.jpg

To sour relations between the two nations, Mithranes began demanding tribute from the Iberian people. In March, he demanded a third time, and took command of the Armenian Gurad in preperation for the invasion.

Armenian-IberianWar102474.jpg

On the second of October, Mithranes began his invasion of Mesketi. On the thriteenth of November, the region fell to Mithranes the Conqueror!

On the twenty-eigth of January, 475, Iberia itself was controlled by Mithranes. However, the king decided to finish of the Iberian army, to ensure they would never rise up against his beloved kingdom.

The battle began on the twenty-second of April. Though Pharnavaz of Iberia was a superior commander, his troops were completely outnumbered. Mithranes won the battle after four bloody days.

BattleofArtashat426475.jpg

The following day, Iberia was formally annexed. On the first of May, Mithranes awarded himself a triumph.

Last edited:
Also, I forgot what site I used to upload my pictures... can anyone give me a good suggestion?

Good start - given that I've written a Suenik CK AAR I've got a soft spot for Armenia!

For photos I would recommend PhotoBucket.com It's very easy to use and will automatically generate BB code for you.

Regarding constructive criticism, I would recommend making your updates a wee bit longer. What you've described is interesting enough, but I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'd want more!

Thanks, I'll try to post the pictures tonight or tomorrow. I did realize how short my first entry was, but my internet connection died before I could add anything else.

Chapter II

Beginning in May ,475, Mithranes began making peaceful overtures to the Seleucid Emprie to the south. For the past half-century, the Selucids and their southern neighbours, Ptolemaic Egypt, had been in a state of on-and-off war with one another. Presently, Ptolemy II and Antiochus were fighting a near total statndstill war, as though both were hoping merely to maintain equilibrium.

In July, Mithranes, fearing an invasion from the barbarous Alan people to the north, commissioned the Iberian Guard, a five-thousand strong host, to protect his new holdings. As commander, he placed his Cheif Torturer, Peucestas Pacorid, a loyal and talent general and official whom he knew he could trust. With the north semi-pacified and the Seleucids occupied in a long-running war, Armenia experienced a period of growth and peace...

After two years of peace, the court of Mithranes became wracked with scandal. It seems that the King's Justice had not only been taking bribes, but also been stealing from the Royal Treasury. Faced with such betrayal and corruption, Mithranes ordered him to be hanged. Artabanus Arid was thirty-nine years old when he was executed for his crimes against the kingdom.

After the shock of the turpidute of the court, and the quick stamping out by Mithranes, Armenia seemed to slowly settle back down. on June 19, 478, Mithranes and the Orontid House was blessed with the birth of a daughter, Princess Atossa.

By May, 479, the "Last of the Diadochi Wars" seemed to be raging without end. For the better part of a decade, Ptolemaic Egypt and the Seleucid Empire had been bloodying each other greatly, as well as allowing more minor states, namely Pontus, to become more and more powerful. However, Antiochus and Ptolemy II, who had been fighting one another since the beginnings of each others' reigns, had turned the war to reunify Alexander's Empire into a deep-seated loathing of one another.

Towards the end of 479, Mithranes became increasingly energetic and involved in the day-to-day affairs of his growing kingdom. It seemed to take affect on his chiecf ministers, as well, for in December of that year, his brilliant Builder, the Scythian-born Arphanes Maydid, presented new building designs that quickly impressed the leading nobility of Armenia, including the king himself. Though he would place the kingdom in debt, Mithranes backed the proposal to adopt the style throughout the realm, with the belief that a more beautiful and affluent-looking empire, the trade and commerce of the kingdom would rise and quickly pay of the debts. This confidence in his advisors, as well as a series of new building programs throughout Armenia, ensured that Mithranes would have the everlasting love and support of his people.

Near December's end, Egypt was a struck what could be crippling blow; Ptolemy the Second, son of the great Pharaoh Ptolemy, general of Alexander, died while on campaign in Syria. He left the throne to his infant son, Ptolemy III. The Seleucid King reportedly rejoiced and the entire capitol was thrown into a thrawl and orgy of wine, sex and other debauchery, seeing a positive end of this great war in sight now.

With the Pharaoh dead, an expanding Pontus, and Armenia still unable to colonize the barbarian lands around it, can Mithranes, who is sonless, hope to maintain not only his dynasty, but his kingdom?

At the time I was playing through that, I had a few concerns about Ptolemy becoming increasingly expansionistic. But, with a strenghtening Pontus and a weakening Seleucid Empire, I put those fears on the back-burner. Mithranes, being a smart man, wouldn't simply neglect the possibility of an Ptolemaic incursion, or even invasion, but he would be more concerned with the neighbours with whom he shares several hundred miles of borders with. He would want to weaken those that are growing stronger, and either prop up, or outrightly annex those that are weaker (seeing how he can do neither of the latter two with the Seleucids, he will, as you'll see, begin hemming in Pontic influence).

Chapter III
In September, 480, with Colchis at war with the Bosporans (again), Mithranes began preparing for an invasion on his already engaged northern neighbour, with the goal of seizing Soani, and possibly Phasis. But right as his troops came to position, the barbarian peoples of Trapezus were driven out by the Pontians, straight into Armenian lands. Mithranes, however, quickly outflanked the already outnumbered and under-equipped barbarians. For protecting the homeland, Mithranes awarded himself another triumph.

As the Pontics and Macedonians, both allies of Bosporus, finished of their war with Colchis, Mithranes and his commanders finished their invasion preparations. On June 1, 481, the Armenian-Colchian War began. By September, Colchis, already weakened from years of war, quickly agreed to cede Coraxi and Soani to the conquering Armenian Empire. The following month, it seemed that Ptolemy III would be a fine ruler, as the Ptolemaic Empire gained control of almost all of the Levantine Coast (only Antioch remained Seleucid).

After several more years of peace and growth (and increaing concern over Egypt and Pontus), Mithranes heard rumours that his Magi was neglecting his duties. Knowing that any sign of weakness could lead to war, Mithranes personally advised his Magi to redouble his efforts.

After a short uprising in the new Colchian provinces, Mithranes awarded himself his third triumph, in October 485.

Keeping with the increasingly militaristic Armenia (a decade of expansion and raising armies), the Surena of the Armenian Military, Arghisti Asinid, proposed sweeping new army reforms, which Mithranes, in his great wisdom, quickly agreed to implement.

On April 20, 487, Mithranes sent an emissary to the court of the Colchian leader, with a declaration of annexation. The Colchian people vainly tried to resist until the first of June.

However, with new land came new headaches, especially in the form of barbarian pirates. After several years of minor raids, and the ransack of the governor's palace of Colchis, Mithranes, at the urging of the royal court, sent a formal declaration against piracy throughout his Empire, and issued a formal, royal decree to all foreign privateers,as well, discouraging their dreadful actions, on the twelfth of September, 487.

Mithranes was pleased to learn that, in January, 488, Armenian informants had alerted his Chief Torturer of major military buildup by Egypt throughout their Palestinian provinces. Later that month, Ptolemy the Third formally declared war on the Seleucid Empire. Realizing the Seleucids would be easily beaten by the mighty Ptolemy, Mithranes himself began contemplating an invasion of Seleucid lands, perhaps backed by their Zoroastrian brethren that made up the majority of the Empire's population, or possibly Parthian support.

Sorry for the delay; I've had a pretty hectic schedule (with Church, School, Family, Friends, Etc.). Hopefully, I'll be able to post the next chapter this week, or next... but who knows?

Chapter IV

However, despite the the Seleucid's ever weakening grasp on power, Mithranes was forced to put any plans for expansion on hold... for the time being, for on January 30, 488, Mithranes the Younger came into this world. With his line secure, Mithranes decided not to foolishly rush into a Seleucid War at it's beginning. He woiuld instead weaken the Seleucids through intrigue and diplomacy, before going in for the kill.

His plans seemed to work. In August, the City of Antioch, jewel of the Seleucid Empire (and their last stretch of land on the Mediterranean), was seized by rebels, who proceeded to form the Kingdom of Syria. Shortly thereafter, Galatia declared independence.

The feeble Seleucid King finally acquiesced to Egyptian demands and ceded Coele-Syria and Lydia to the Pharaoh (the same month as the loss of Antiosh and the whole of Galatia).

Mithranes, seeing the Seleucids still too mighty to take on alone, decided to instead to ensure they didn't regain any lost land. In November, 490, he invaded Syria. During the war, one of his scouting units came upon a Syrian supply caravan loaded with silver and gold (heading off to pay for Egyptian merceneries, no doubt). Mithranes, in his great wisdom and generosity, allowed his Surena to claim half of it.

After less than two years, Syria was finally annexed on May 12, 492.

Galatia was a state of no real importance. A rough mountainous land with few really useful resources, the land was poor and had been misgovered for years, even before the break from the Seleucids. However, many nobles in Armenia felt that the mere presence of such a minor state was an offence to the mighty Armenians, and it must be subjugated by them before the Pontics or Egyptians claimed dominion over those lands.

Mithranes saw the wisdom of flanking the Pontics, but declined to launch an invasion. His reasoning was three-fold. While control of Cappadocia would give them a greater presence in Asia Minor, and allow them to keep the Pontians in check, the cost of such an invasion would take years to pay off, even with the growing Armenian economy. Second, his good relations with the corrupt leadership of Galatia, and they seemed loathe to back any Pontian belligerence. Third, Galatia ahd been able to get its act together and had successfuly fought of the Seleucid rebels and expand itself more into Asia Minor, showing that, for all its faults and weaknesses, the Galatians were competent warriors.

The "Armenian League," however, was a different story. Formed in October, 493 from two former Seleucid provinces, the League was a minor state that, while wanting to seem pro-Armenian, did not want to curb their independence. Mithranes developed an immediate and burning hatred fot these "Armenian" upstarts. They were not even ruled by an Armenian, but an Assyrian! The League was assimilated into greater Armenia is April, 494.

As it stood, Armenia and Egypt were the two great powers of the East. Pontus and the Seleucids, though both mighty, were not able to wage a successful war against either one. Something would have to give... a new balance of power would have to arise...

Good luck to you!
My Armenian AAR took severe hit after (cascading) alliance of greeks came and ran me down twice.. Not to talk about a rage quit back then but.... :D