• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(17523)

People before principle
Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
To me the biggest challenge for CK2 is to make the concepts in the game come alive. The biggest drawback of CK I found was that it's concept implementations didn't come alive, it was too much based on systems and visual numbers that lacked sufficient subtlety and logical interdependencies.

I really hope every aspect in CK2 will feel natural, logical, subtle, intriguing, slightly vague (no visual hard numbers) and very interactive, be it in relations between rulers and within the court, the development of heretic movements, factions fighting for power etc etc.

I'd like for CK2 to have it's difficulty in coherently managing these complex aspects and their subtle interactions instead of having to deal with systems that act unnatural and with little nuance. Obviously complex game mechanics shouldn't mean that the interface should be complex as well, just that every action has complex yet logical consequences.

Last edited:
My biggest worry is giving players something to do. I'd like to see some of the diplomacy, character relations and child rearing move from events to in game functions.

CK1 was very much speed 5, clicking event options and waiting for people to die. It was fun but it has potential to be so much more.

My biggest worry is giving players something to do. I'd like to see some of the diplomacy, character relations and child rearing move from events to in game functions.

CK1 was very much speed 5, clicking event options and waiting for people to die. It was fun but it has potential to be so much more.

I agree with this. But I'll admit my CK experience is very limited. Whenever I played I always felt like I was more a spectator, just waiting for something to happen.

That said, I think CK II should be good, will hopefully address some of these things, and I do eagerly anticipate the opportunity to try it out!

I hope for a lot of decisions a la EU3 over waiting and hoping for events to fire AND only getting ONE chance to decide while the game is auto-paused. If I want to be crowned emperor, I want to be able to petition the Pope for it, instead of waiting for him to realize that I have five kingly titles.

-Enough about Bavaria developing the Inquisition. What else happened today?
-Well, Your Holiness, it seems from the latest rumors circulating in Genoa that Rodrigo of Toledo finally retook Oporto from the Moors. We should really see about offering him an imperial crown so that we can pressure him later into changing his ruling laws to church_supremacy.
-Oh, well, send him a papal bull to that effect anywhere from six to 48 months from now. God bless you.

alot more family interaction, and court duties if youre a count you should have duties as a count, and i dont just mean more events. But also things to do in a province beyond building and the power balance, province decisions. buttons to press that do stuff, appointing sheriffs to act in your absence if you dont want to micromanage things yourself but there should be in your province things to do.
especially if youre a one or two province count, you should still have lots of fun things to keep busy with
managing your lands, your family and your legacy. it shouldnt be that thing that plagues all paradox games, waiting for something, anything, to happen. but doing things yourself

alot more family interaction, and court duties if youre a count you should have duties as a count, and i dont just mean more events. But also things to do in a province beyond building and the power balance, province decisions. buttons to press that do stuff, appointing sheriffs to act in your absence if you dont want to micromanage things yourself but there should be in your province things to do.
especially if youre a one or two province count, you should still have lots of fun things to keep busy with
managing your lands, your family and your legacy. it shouldnt be that thing that plagues all paradox games, waiting for something, anything, to happen. but doing things yourself

I know what you mean. I once tried to do a "rise of the Habsburgs" CK game from the 1066 start, but I got so bored waiting for Count Werner von Habsburg to do something. I would like to see some kind of semi-animated court screen (maybe sort of like the forum in the Caesar games, but more interesting) where you can talk to your courtiers, get a like role-playey. I already do this in my mind, but it would be nice to see things open up a bit.

Well, I am pretty sure that after Rome, EUIII and Viki2 Paradox will put the best features of those games in CK2. So, no worries - it will be interesting game for sure.

Well for me personally, I'm not looking for more features, but for the features that are in the game to be as sophisticated, logical and interactive as possible. I don't want numbers or diplomatic messages which would normally only come AFTER a whole diplomatic process instead of BEING the diplomatic process. I want religious struggle, battles for power within and between courts I want factions in courts fighting for power and I want it to be presented and interactive in a way that makes it come alive.

Interesting thread.

I agree with Magdat.

1) Imho, the placing of the characters on the map, and their moving around should increase the RPG and the fun aspect in the game.

F.e. if your king is away from home, crazy things might occur. If your king is besieging Jerusalem, he should be there in Jerusalem.

2) A second thing to increase the fun could be to further implement the naivity from the people back then in the gameplay. F.e. people saw dragons in swamps, witches in the air.

But most important for me is, how to make the hardness level more variable. I mean the game must remain a challenge at hard, but not that the enemy soldiers were Kevlar body armour jackets and shoots with energy pulse rifles.

You mean that there was another way of playing CK1? o_O

(Joking, always had everything on "normal" :p)

anyways on topic: I wholeheartedly agree, as long as there is still some random events that can royally screw your day, left in the game :p

Well for me personally, I'm not looking for more features, but for the features that are in the game to be as sophisticated, logical and interactive as possible. I don't want numbers or diplomatic messages which would normally only come AFTER a whole diplomatic process instead of BEING the diplomatic process. I want religious struggle, battles for power within and between courts I want factions in courts fighting for power and I want it to be presented and interactive in a way that makes it come alive.

I concur. Sophisticated, logical and interactive [as possible] should be a much higher priority than adding new features - for the sake of new features. With that said I'm all for news features - lots to be specific, but I want them to be done intuitively and expertly.

I also agree with this. The game should be as logical and intuitive (and stable) as possible. It means minimal amount of loopholes, exploits, unpurposeful complexity, arbitrary threshold values and "useful tricks" you should know etc.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

I agree with Magdat.

1) Imho, the placing of the characters on the map, and their moving around should increase the RPG and the fun aspect in the game.

F.e. if your king is away from home, crazy things might occur. If your king is besieging Jerusalem, he should be there in Jerusalem.

2) A second thing to increase the fun could be to further implement the naivity from the people back then in the gameplay. F.e. people saw dragons in swamps, witches in the air.

But most important for me is, how to make the hardness level more variable. I mean the game must remain a challenge at hard, but not that the enemy soldiers were Kevlar body armour jackets and shoots with energy pulse rifles.

Good points all. In Ck1, I could disband my marshal's army in Antioch and then five minutes later have him deal with a revolt in Tangiers.