• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey AnaxXiphos you said earlier in the thread that you use gimp to make these icons. Can you tell me about the icon creation process? How do you get them to look so good?

I'm not him, but I make icons too. What I do is opening the icon framing (you know, green, red, etc) in Photoshop, then I open some vanilla icons for comparison and then I start drawing it with the pencil tool pixel by pixel. It really isn't hard once you get the hang of it. Once you are done drawing, you can apply various effects to groom your image a little bit. Most of the time you would need one pixel stroke to match the Paradox style.

a4256048da.jpg

I'm not him, but I make icons too. What I do is opening the icon framing (you know, green, red, etc) in Photoshop, then I open some vanilla icons for comparison and then I start drawing it with the pencil tool pixel by pixel. It really isn't hard once you get the hang of it. Once you are done drawing, you can apply various effects to groom your image a little bit. Most of the time you would need one pixel stroke to match the Paradox style.

View attachment 121778
Photoshop is quiet different to GIMP, which makes some of your advice kind of uneeded if one uses that tool. Photoshop costs money, while GIMP is free. I think it is good that people use the later, making icon creation not something for a few priveliged people, but acessible to all.

Photoshop is quiet different to GIMP, which makes some of your advice kind of uneeded if one uses that tool. Photoshop costs money, while GIMP is free. I think it is good that people use the later, making icon creation not something for a few priveliged people, but acessible to all.

Same thing can be done in GIMP and perhaps even Paint.net, it doesn't really make a difference. Pixel art does not require any particular tools from any expensive programs.

Someday I would like to add some tips and tricks to this thread, but right now I'm quite busy enough actually doing graphics. Speaking of which:

From left to right, that's Carthaginian, Georgian, and Illyrian. And assuming there are no objections, all that's left with the Diadochi Kings request is to make the small and heresy versions and it's done! Then it's back to work on the four remaining Crisis of the Confederation icons.

Are there icons that would work for the present day religions (Anglican, Lutheran, Druze)? You made so made amazing icons, there's gotta be ones that fit :)

You know, I don't think I've done any contemporary religion icons at all. It just never came up while I was still taking requests.

Looks great! By the way, can you tell me how to properly import/export .dds files please?

Photoshop CS6, i can't seem to edit them properly, or export in .dds.
Which program are you trying to use? Are you having a specific problem?

Photoshop CS6, i can't seem to edit them properly, or export in .dds.

The last time I used Photoshop was several versions and many years ago. Unfortunately I don't know that I can be of any help, beyond suggesting that you hit up your favorite search engine. You could also try posting in the modding help thread or posting a new thread in the modding forum. I'm sure someone out there has Photoshop/DDS experience.

Reactions:
So I probably should have paid more attention to this thread, huh?

I'm going to see about integrating the new icons into COTC 0.10 since (with apologies to LordKee) they're a lot better than the current ones.

So I probably should have paid more attention to this thread, huh?

I'm going to see about integrating the new icons into COTC 0.10 since (with apologies to LordKee) they're a lot better than the current ones.

Well, to be perfectly fair, I should've posted in the COTC thread and even intended to do so but kept getting distracted. On the bright side, I've got even more icons that I haven't shown yet. And if I can figure out something I like for the Xenoterrans, I'll soon have finished options for every faction.

Also: I'm not sure which icons you COTC folks will end up using, but I can also do the small versions for whatever gets approved.

Well, to be perfectly fair, I should've posted in the COTC thread and even intended to do so but kept getting distracted. On the bright side, I've got even more icons that I haven't shown yet. And if I can figure out something I like for the Xenoterrans, I'll soon have finished options for every faction.

Also: I'm not sure which icons you COTC folks will end up using, but I can also do the small versions for whatever gets approved.

I think we can handle that part ourselves, actually, although we appreciate the offer.

Hey AnaxXiphos, do you mind if I use some of your artwork for my enhanced black death mod? I really need some icons for decisions for enacting a quarantine, as well as one for a king whose kingdom has been hit with the plague.

I just came across this thread randomly, and I must say you've done some great work for a lot of mods I love. Great work. Can't wait to see more.