• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Beatification is random anyway, so far as I can work out. I've had some complete villains be sainted, for no good reason I could ever work out.

I've seen it discussed elsewhere that there really is some kind of formula for beatification...but it's counterintuitive and has little to do with piety. I don't know.

So a very active reign! I'd be hesitant to 'consolidate' Iberia, especially if your next king is cautious like you describe. Some of those territories are Burgundian, and it looks like von Franken has done VERY well for himself.

Diary of Luk de Lomagne 1205-1278, King of Aragon and Portugal, Duke of Galicia, Count of Labourd, Viscaya, Compostela, Santiago, Braganza, El Bierzo, Salamanca, Burgos, and Urgell

September 29, 1233. My father passed away last night. He was a great King by most standards, I suppose, but I have to wonder whether all this relentless campaigning into his golden years shortened his life. He was so determined to add a second kingship to our family, to prove himself worthy of the trust my Grandfather placed in him by bypassing the elder son. My own ambition is merely to rule the Kingdom with fairness and honor. There just seems so much work to do at home; why spend my energy in foreign lands? No, I will only make war where our family to redress injuries to our family—otherwise my focus will remain in our Kingdom.

Eventually, I should probably return the capital to Viscaya, but for the time being, I want to remain in the mountains. My children are young and enjoy the fresh air of Urgell. Though I have been away from father’s court for a dozen years, I still am very familiar with most of his courtiers and do not plan to make major changes. The only significant one is that I will make my wife, Andregoto von Bonngau, my spymaster. I have relied on her devious and thoughtful mind for many years.

October 9, 1233. King Ernst von Franken of Burgundy wishes to renew the alliance he had with my father. I hesitate slightly, as I know he has been excommunicated, but it seems risky to insult the most powerful King in Europe. I agree.

November 13, 1233. After an 80-year war, Burgundy has finally routed the Germans and the Von Franken family are once again Kings of Germany. I’m glad they’re my allies and not my enemies.

February 13, 1234. I received the sad news that my mother Riquilda has passed away, leaving her titles and lands to me, her only son. I decide that I will give the title Duchess of Algarve to my sister Jone. Perhaps I should give up Silves and Faro, but I feel like their infrastructure could be improved, particularly their harbor facilities.

May 13, 1234. I have a new addition to my family today—my fourth daughter, Oneca. Strangely, I had three sons (though one died in infancy) by my first wife and four daughters by my second. However, as both my sons are healthy and talented, there seems no succession issue to worry about.

December 15, 1234.The time is right to take revenge an old wrongs upon my family. The King of Navarra used to be rule Empuries as my father’s vassal, but took his lands with him when he inherited the crown. I intend to get them back. Empuries has few defenders, and I expect I can take it with my own troops in Urgell. However, I will call upon Marshal Luken to lead some troops down from Viscaya to reinforce me. I declare war and march south.

February 6, 1235. I arrive in Empuries with about 1200 men and begin the attack. Luken is expected in a few more weeks.

March 21, 1235. Now that Luken has joined me, the siege goes quickly and Empuries has fallen to our forces. The Count is forced to surrender. I suppose we should sail to Chalkidike and finish the job.

July 28, 1235. While sailing past the coast of Sardegna, we pass a fleet of the King of Navarra. He appears to have only about 1600 men, but I should raise some forces back home to deal with it. I send a small boat ashore to Sardinia to find a fast vessel to send a message.

November 7, 1235. I finally set foot on dry land again in Korinthos. The King of Navarra is beseeching me for white peace, but I mean to put an end to his troublesome kingdom.

January 21, 1236. I arrive in Chalkidike at last and besiege the castle.

April 5, 1236. Our historic enemy, the Kingdom of Navarra has gone down to humiliating defeat forced to acknowledge me as the rightful King of Aragon, count of Urgell and Empuries. He also accepts the claim of my courtier Manuel on the title Count of Chalkidike.

April 14, 1236. The war over, it is time to consider matters in court again. My steward’s children have been coming of age and I need to find appropriate matches. His daughter is a clever girl and probably could replace my wife as spymaster if something happened—I think I’ll suggest she marry Amaric Al-Ayyubi, a sharp fellow I’ve known for years from my court in Urgell. Her brother Josu will marry Ermengarda de Amaya, the diocese bishop’s niece. The girl has been educated in a convent leading to an appealing combination of scholarly knowledge and naivete.

April 18, 1236. Bishop Tibalt’s sermons are becoming more and more of a trial to sit through each week. Honestly, I’ve always found his emphasis on theological detail a little dry, but lately he’s been on this apocalyptic kick. Every week he tells us how the end is near and all the dreadful things that Revelation says are coming our way..

September 4, 1236. A major uprising has occurred in El Bierzo. It appears that keeping the capital in my home at Urgell was a mistake—my provinces in Western Iberia are too far away to keep a close eye on, and I didn’t recognize the signs of revolt in time to prevent them. I grant the counties of Urgell and Empuries to Nuno’s son Josu and return to the castle in Viscaya so as to keep a more watchful eye on the west.

October 1, 1236. My chancellor Etiennette has died, after forty-five years of service to the Kingdom. I shall replace her with my Aunt Estefania. Although she served a number of functions in my father’s court, she was never chancellor, but her charm, intelligence and wit make her a natural for the position.

October 26, 1236. My wife has had yet another daughter, Florentxi.

November 24, 1236. An inheritance of some plots of land that I recently received makes a claim on the county of Badajoz a viable option. However, the count has never done my family any harm, so I think we can make some deal to avoid any unpleasantness.

March 21, 1237. Burgundy has attacked England. I keep telling Ernst that he ought to be content with what he has, but he seems only to happy when he’s on campaign.

May 1, 1237. I have received word of an open revolt among the unruly peasantry of El Bierzo, in spite of how low I’ve set the tax rate. How annoying. Marshal Luken will deal with it with the help of the local militia.

July 28, 1237. It occurs to me that El Bierzo has no proper church. Perhaps if they have a nice new place in which to offer their thoughts to God, they will be happier and less troublesome.

March 13, 1238. Trouble is brewing in the Duchy of Asturias. It’s an awkward situration. The Countess of Valladolid has declared independence from the Duke. It’s quite understandable. The Duke is simply crazy, and has been excommunicated as a heretic. I’m tempted to offer the countess vassalization and take out the Duke myself, though he is a cousin of mine. However, the Count of Navarra and Duke of Navarra have already declared war on Valladolid in the duke’s support. Perhaps I will stay out of this and see what transpires.

June 13, 1238. Now the Count of Asturias de Oviedo has declared war on the Duke. What a mess.

December 6, 1239. My son Mitrxel has come of age and a fine young man he is, strong of mind and body, so pious and fair-minded. I must find a suitable wife.

December 19, 1239. Mitrxel marries the sister of the King of Croatia and I settle him in the lands of Faro and Silves.

January 11, 1240. The humiliation my father suffered so many years ago at the hands of Croatia has long bothered me. Perhaps I should seek revenge—while father did gain his own lands back, there are still lands in Croatia that we have proper title to, such as the province of Denia. I decide I will claim not only Denia, but the title of his liege, the Prince of Toledo. I believe his primary title is actually Prince of Slavonia, but I am not interested in such far away titles. However, I cannot do anything about this until the Asturias situation is resolved. It appears the Duke is close to reasserting his authority, as he has captured the keep at Asturias de Oviedo and his troops are now besieging Salamanca.

March 12, 1241. Luken’s brilliant young daughter Katalin has come of age, and is a girl of exceptional wit, beauty and cleverness. I think I shall make her my chancellor in Estefania’s place.

October 4, 1241. A joyous day. My wife bears my third son, Gergori.

January 16, 1242. I don’t understand what is going on with Asturias. As near as I can tell, the Duke has captured both his former vassal’s castles but no peace has been signed. He is mad. Mad! I shall offer them vassalization and see if I can broker some sort of peace with my lunatic cousin.

January 22, 1242. They decline my vassalization offers. They are as mad as he.

April 2, 1242. My son Girvas has come of age. He is a talented boy, but I do NOT agree with him that he is better suited to be chancellor than Katalin. Still, he is well-liked by his peers for his truthful and magnanimous nature. I try to explain to him that like his brother he will soon have his own lands to administer.

April 29, 1242. Nuno’s daughter Pilare has turned 16 and is quite as skilled and charming as Katalin. Our court is becoming famed for its marvellous young ladies. All

August 10, 1242. I have completed a deal for a suitable wife for Gervais. Muriel, daughter of the Count of Orkney will arrive shortly by ship—a good thing we arranged the marriage now as the sea passage would have been difficult later in the year. Not only is she young and healthy, but she should also be a good start for Gervais court in his new court in Salamanca, as the count assured me she was skilled enough for almost any position but marshal or bishop.

June 1, 1243. I arranged for Pilare to marry Luken’s son, Josu. He is a well-spoken young man and has inherited much of his father’s skill at arms, despite being somewhat delicate of health.

September 8, 1243. Nuno’s son Gaskon has died, leaving the Duchy of Algarve and Count of Niebla titles he inherited from his mother to Nuno. I must say I am reluctant to let my uncle go after over 30 years of exceptional service as steward. I decide to replace him, insofar as he can be replaced, with Estefania, who despite advancing age remains the most flexible of my courtiers.

August 8, 1244. My dear marshal Luken passed into the next world after over thirty years as marshal of Aragon. It is sad to see my father’s most trusted courtiers fading away. I shall make his son Josu marshal in his place. He is a good leader and strong fighter, but lacks that certain strategic flair that his father had, unfortunately.

August 28, 1244. My diocese bishop has hanged himself! He has had a dark and gloomy nature for several years, and I guess the death of his brother Luken was the final straw. Still, it is shocking for a man of the cloth to commit the unforgivable sin. How dreadful for a bishop to be buried in unconsecrated ground. I decide that Amalric Al Ayyubi will be my new bishop. His young wife passed away a few years ago, so he can follow the fashion of clerical celibacy, and he was well-trained in scripture at the monastic school.

October 10, 1244. I reached a fair settlement in El Bierzo which should end the revolt there.

July 16, 1245. I make my cunning eldest daughter Andregoto spymaster and marry her to Gergori Despuig. There is much of her mother in my dear Andregoto.

November 20, 1245. Perhaps Andregoto is too young for so much responsibility, as she has fallen ill. I would return my wife to active service, but she hasn’t been feeling well lately, either.

July 1, 1246. A well known poet and priest, Gonzalo de Berceo, has offered to write the chronicles of our family. Eh. I have read his epic poems and would prefer our merits to be fairly recorded in history, rather than exaggerated by his overblown verse.

Oct 17, 1246. Another daughter, Itziar.

Feb 1, 1247. My steward Estefania has passed away. I have decided to replace her with an elderly lady who had a great deal of experience in the position at the Kingdom of Scotland, Orabilia Dunkeld. The Dunkeld family lost control of Scotland to the Trpimirovic’s a few years back, which I suppose is why she has migrated to my court.

March 5, 1247. Another of my delightful daughters has come of age. I know I should really be using them to further diplomatic ends, but I have such difficulty parting with them. Aurela is so full of life. I think I will marry her to Dunixi de Amaya, a proud and colorful man whom she should get along well with.

April 24, 1247. My daughter and spymaster, Andregoto has come to me with the shocking news that her husband Dunixi has committed adultery. How dare he! After I favored him with marriage to my own daughter! To the headman’s axe with him, as with all who betray my family.

June 3, 1248. My little girl, Itziar has died.

July 17, 1248. I have been feeling very tired and rundown lately. It’s difficult to find the energy to hold court these days.

October 1, 1249. My health has gradually turned for the worse. I am frequently seized by terrible, painful coughing fits and I suffer alternately from fever and chills. My doctor keeps giving me this dreadful tasting tea from some herb called horehound, but it seems of little use.

May 27, 1250. My son Gergori has fallen ill, as well. His illness is unlike mine, however, as he complains of a strange numbness in his fingers and toes.

September 18, 1250. The Duke of Asturias has finally gained control of Valladolid and placed one of his courtier’s in control of it. He continues to be at odds with his former vassal in Asturias de Oviedo, however.

March 28, 1251. The venerable Orabilia has shown that she still has great skill. Her projects have greatly improved conditions in Lisboa, which had been an impoverished backwater province for many years.

May 26, 1251. My 18-year-old daughter Luixa has repeatedly challenged my chancellor in court, and I grow tired of it. I’ll marry her off to the sickly son of the Duke of Anjou, just to get rid of her.

September 17, 1251. Now Aurela wants to be steward. Why can’t my daughters accept their place in the world?

August 20, 1252. Pedro von Bonngau, the Count of Lleida has proposed that we change the law of the land to feudal contract. It seems very reasonable and fair way of governing, so I agree to do so.

December 22, 1252. I make my daughter Florentxi de Lomagne chancellor. I consider Aurela, but her vicious tongue and haughty nature are offputting. While younger, Florentxi’s demure façade disguises a quickness of mind and depth of knowledge that I value highly.

March 5, 1253. My wife Andregoto has produced a son, at her advanced age. It cheers me, though I can do little with a child now, as I spend most days largely in bed.

May 15, 1253. Marshal Josu has now fallen ill with symptoms similar to my own. Who can I make marshal in his place? I guess Dominix Al Ayubi will have to do. He’s a clever and good natured man, and I think I will marry him to Florentxi.

September 16, 1253. I have been so sick the last few weeks that I have spent little time in court. When I arose from my bed today, I was informed thatAurela had usurped the chancellor position in my absence. I will not allow her to humiliate her younger sister in this fashion, and I reinstate Florentxi immediately.

December 14, 1253. The sister of the Duke of Algarve, Pilare de Lomagne, is my new steward, following the death of old Orabilia. While Aurela is likely equally skilled, Pilare is far more loyal and trustworthy. I have no patience for Aurela anymore.

January 25, 1254. Truly dreadful news today. My third son, Gergori’s numbness has turned out to be the early stages of leprosy.

August 11, 1254. Predictably, Aurela is again demanding a job at court. I am fed up with her, and I exile her. It is difficult to do this to my own daughter, but Aurela has become a constant thorn in my side.

August 23, 1254. Bishop Amalric’s teachings have seemed strange to me of late. Lately, he has been talking of the earth as though it were a place of punishment, as if we were already in purgatory. Perhaps it is my fevered brain confusing me, but I did go to monastic school, and this doesn’t sound like what I was taught.

January 16, 1256. My wife of many years, Andregoto, passed away this morning. I suspect I will soon join her.

March 12, 1256. At the end of mass today, my diocese bishop announced he was leaving our ministry ostensibly because I have gone away from the true faith. Needless to say this caused quite a furore. I don’t understand it at all. My beliefs are what they have always been; if anything, I have become more devout in my fading years. I suppose I shall place Ramon-Berenguer al Ziyar as diocese bishop now.

October 22, 1256. Josu came to see me today, and reported that his dreadful coughing spasms have ceased for several weeks now. He is ready to resume work as marshal. If only I could shake them myself.

October 30, 1257. After nearly ten years of illness, I appear to have fully recovered. Much as Josu last year, during the summer, my coughing gradually became less and less frequent. It feels so marvellous to be able to breathe deeply and enjoy life again after so many years of sickness. Suddenly, I feel that I ought to find a wife to keep me company in my old age. Gergori has come of age, but I feel I can not expect any people to obey a man so hideously disfigured, nor can I inflict him on some young woman.

November 5, 1257. It did not take long to find a suitable wife. I felt that it was appropriate to renew our long relationship with the Von Franken family, so I will marry Ermesinde Von Franken, daughter of the Count of Hainaut. And a clever and healthy young girl she is, by all accounts.

July 24, 1260. Less than three years of marriage and Ermesinde has already produced two children. The first a daughter last year, the second is a son: Frantzes. While the succession was not in danger, it cheers me to have children to play with in my old age.

March 9, 1261. I make my daughter Mirena steward. She has a very good head on her shoulders, though she is excessively proud and impious.

December 26, 1264. Mirena wishes to bully the peasants into forking over more money. I tell her that it is unfair to burden their already difficult lives further.

August 12, 1267. My wife continues to add to my family. Today, I had another son, Bazil. While she has now borne three daughters and three sons in just ten years as my wife, two of the children have died very young.

February 4, 1268. I am displeased with Mirena. She has been making contrary promises to different factions in Braganza. I have been forced to step in, and in a difficult decision, I was forced to agree that in all fairness, the peasantry should have the right to sell their produce in the town marketplace. This will anger the burghers who wished to take a cut as middlemen, but will make things cheaper for everyone in the long run.

July 13, 1268. Bishop Ramon-Berenguer Al Ziyar has died. No truly suitable replacement jumps to mind. I do not think I can make my son Gergori bishop while the marks of God’s disfavor remain upon him.

March 29, 1269. I make young Santxo de Amaya my new steward and marry him to my former steward (and daughter) Mirena. I was displeased with her handling of the Braganza affair, and her cruel disregard for the common people. Santxo has plenty of vitality and I expect great things from him.

July 30, 1269. Elazar al-Ayyubi has proposed that he be my new bishop. I had thought celibacy was the fashion among the clergy these days, and he is married to my duaghter, but he thinks the Pope will not object. I have never doubted his virtue.

October 28, 1269. I marry my fourth son Matai to Adela of Thouars, sister of the Duke of Milano. Matai is in many ways the son who most resembles me—none of the arrogant ways of his sisters, and not in such a rush to make himself known in the world. But his easy-going nature conceal a sharp mind, coupled with a calm and persuasive demeanor. I think he will do a fine job ruling his new province, Braganza.

January 6, 1272. I was awaiting the usual family gathering to celebrate Epiphany, when the contingent from Salamanca brought the sad news that my second son Girvais had died. It is a sad thing to outlive one’s sons, and reminds me how old I have become.

January 12, 1272. It appears that the vivacious young chambermaid whose favors I enjoyed last spring has had a son, Joseba. I suppose it was wrong of me to dishonor my wife like that but I just couldn’t resist. However, it’s only fair that I acknowledge the boy and agree to have him educated at the court—he is my responsibility, after all.

October 23, 1272. After nearly 30 years of keeping our forces ready in case of an attack, Josu has died. I replace him with Basajaun Despuig, a brave and energetic young man much loved by the ladies of the court. I have learned that my longtime ally, Ernst von Franken has also passed away. It seems all my contemporaries are disappearing.

November 2, 1272. I decide to make my grandson, Florentxi and Elazar’s son, my new spymaster. He has inherited all his parents cleverness and combines it with an almost alarming talent for subterfuge. He may appear indolent, but he is always watchful.

June 28, 1273. I’m so glad I was able to patch things up with Ermesinde, for she has borne another son, Gutxi..

December 23, 1274. Ernst’s son, Waldemar von Franken wishes to maintain our alliance. I agree, though Burgundy is currently experiencing too much internal strife to be of much assistance, I fear.

March 10, 1275. I have been enjoying vigorous health despite my advanced age, and have sired another son, Todor. To think twenty years ago, I thought my life neared its end.

December 19, 1275. It has been a tumultuous year in Burgundy. In the spring, Waldemar died in battle against the rebellious Duke of Toulouse. Now, I have received word that his son, Meinhard von Franken of Burgundy has died after a long illness—no doubt exacerbated by the unrest in his realm. Young Heinrich has a large task in front of him.

February 1, 1276. My third son Gergori left the court in a considerable uproar, claiming my throne and departing angrily after being snubbed in his attempt to become bishop. He was never able to reconcile himself to the facts of his illness.

March 19, 1276. My daughter Elixabete has come of age. She’s a smart girl, but her stutter and delicate health may make her a tough sell on the marriage market. I learn that Gergori is in the court of the Count of Alcacer do Sul. Surely he doesn’t think the King of Naples will support his claim on my throne?

June 10, 1276. I arrange a marriage for Elixabete to the son and chancellor of the Duke of Toulouse. I realize he is von Franken’s enemy, but Meinhard has made no overtures to me, and I am beginning to think he will not be successful in stamping out his rebel dukes.

September 25, 1277. I decide to make my son Frantzes diocese bishop for the time being, as he is well-versed in scripture and devout. I may change my mind and find a wife for him in the near future. I have received the unhappy news that my eldest son and intended heir, Mitrxel passed away. My heir is now my fourth son, Matai, as I have no doubt that they will pass up Gergori.

January 22, 1278. The King of Scotland has asked for an alliance. As Meinhard has still shown no interest in renewing the friendship between Burgundy and Aragon, I decide to accept.

June 25, 1278. My time is coming to an end, I think, but I have lived a long and fulfilling life. Some might say I accomplished little, but I think of my longtime friend Ernst and wonder what all of his plans got him in the end. A lifetime spent on the battlefield, both against enemies abroad and rebels at home, his eldest son killed in war shortly after ascending the throne. Not for me. How does our kingdom benefit if we lose all our young men trying to seize the lands of those around us. No, my reign will be remembered as a time of quiet, peace and prosperity. And my son Matai is so much like me, I expect he will stay the course. But he has never been a robust child, and I worry that his reign may be a short one. It is good that he already has two sons.

impressive progress in uniting the spanish lands ( and in driving the infidel out of the holy land :D )

so whats next? going for a greater spain? :cool:

Well, it will have to wait until I get a monarch with some ambition. Lazy and modest are not good traits for conquerors. It was almost painful watching the opportunities drift by. Both the Duchy of Poitou and the Duchy of Toulouse have broken free of Burgundy, and I had enough prestige to grab claims on both, but...wasn't really in character and won't be for this next ruler either.

Luk still did well, even if he was happy consolidating everything. Aragon/Portugal needed an extended period of relative peace to get its house in order anyway.

You have more willpower than me. I'm playing a CK game (no AAR) and had a relatively cautious, sick king, but France broke up, so many people got excommunicated, then there was a crusade for control of Iberia. I just couldn't help myself and went on a rampage. *g*

Yes, sometimes lengthy peacetimes are needed. I'm sure the growth of the Kingdom will help when you next get a warmongering King.

You sure did have a bout of sickness there for a while - it seemed like everyone was coming down with something.

I suppose one advantage of all this is my treasury is enormous. I could run full mobilization with 100% support for years. As to the bout of sickness--you don't know the half of it. I don't normally mention it unless it's an office holder or immediate family, but my court was full of diseased and crazed individuals for a while there.

Still hated to waste all that prestige, though.

Diary of Matai de Lomagne (1253-1299) King of Aragon and Portugal, Duke of Galicia, Count of Labourd, Viscaya, Compostela, Santiago, Lisboa, Braganza, El Bierzo and Burgos.

June 26, 1278. My father’s death has thrust the kingship upon me, and I was really never prepared for it. I was the fourth son, and up until seven years ago, never closer than third in line to the throne, even after Gergori’s illness. But Father lived so long he outlived my older brothers, and the kingdom has fallen to me. I am worried that his vassals, who long expected Mitxel to be king may not bear me the same loyalty that he did to my father. My father’s chancellor, my older sister Florentxi, has suggested that I make some generous gifts to my vassals. The treasury certainly seems ample enough for it. With the exception of the continuing problem between the Duke of Asturias and the Count of Asturias de Oviedo, the realm has been at peace for many years and has benefited economically. I plan to continue my father’s course of peace with our neighbors. I only hope I shall live so long; I fear I lack his vigorous health. I suffer from frequent dyspepsia and abdominal pain.

I will make few changes to his court. My friend Ion Muniz has come with me from Braganza and I plan to place him as marshal—I appreciate him both for his skill at arms and his sage advice and expect that he will defend our kingdom with all the brilliance he can muster. Otherwise, I will maintain father’s court—his advisors are of excellent quality and I trust them to guide me as they did my father.

August 3, 1278. The burghers in Lisboa wish to have city laws take precedence over canon law. I’m inclined to agree; the priests have rather a lot of power. Isn’t their kingdom supposed to be in the next world, not this one?

October 12, 1278. The merchant classes are bothersome of late. I had a delegation from Labourd arguing that feudal contract law was burdensome and out-of-date. I attempted to placate them by saying I would consider their proposal, but apparently there’s a great deal of unrest in Labourd now. It’s quite absurd of them to expect me to change the kingdom’s laws when I am so new to power.

November 19, 1278. I am deeply troubled to learn that my older sister, Oneca, has developed leprosy. It worries me that I have two lepers in my immediate family. Both from Andregoto, my mother, as well, none from my father’s other wives.

February 14, 1279. My wife has had a second daughter, Nicole.

September 13, 1279. I am in an awkward situation. My dear friend and cousin Pere de Lomagne, the Count of Evora, has taken up arms against his liege, Bertran de Lomagne, the Duke of Braganza. I feel that I cannot get involved in this inter-family squabble. Pere is dear to me, but Bertran is his lawful liege and while he may be callous and autocratic, he has done nothing to justify open rebellion.

January 28, 1280. My poor friend has been evicted from his castle and forced to The Count of Evora has already been evicted from his province. I offered him sanctuary here, but it appears he bears me a grudge for failing to support him; he has gone instead to the Duke of Navarra’s court.

April 11, 1280. Excellent. My third son, Ander, was born today.

May 11, 1281. The Count of Sinai has attacked a vassal of my cousin, the Duke of Palestine. I suppose we should send some support to our posessions in the Holy Land. I don’t feel well enough to go myself, but I will ask Ion to gather the forces in Labourd and set sail for the Holy Land.

September 6, 1281. Ion arrived in Barcelona only to learn that the King of Jerusalem has already reestablished control of Sinai. I don’t entirely understand how the Duke of Palestine can have a king for a vassal, but I guess they do things differently in the Holy land. In any event, there is no need for Ion to set sail. I also think that I’ve found an even better Marshal in young Antso Al Ayyubi.

January 14, 1282. I decide that my younger sister Zuzene should marry Petri de Amaya, a man who was once my chancellor in Braganza. I’m sure he was hoping that he would be chancellor here, as well, but I was far too impressed with my sister Florentxi. Perhaps my daughter’s hand will persuade him that I still value his friendship and advice.

February 15, 1282. Heinrich von Franken, the King of Burgundy, has contacted me, wishing to renew our long-term alliance. Aragon and Burgundy have now been fast friends for seventy years, though we’ve rarely actually fought. Still, the alliance has been helpful for both of us. We have been left largely in peace, in part because of the threat of tangling with Burgundy as well, while Burgundy has had free rein for its seemingly endless struggles with Germany, England, and Hungary, and rebellious vassals.

October 28, 1282. Poor Zuzene. Already a widow with a young child. I shall have to find her a new husband as she is finished mourning. Elazar de Amaya, who is nearer her own age than Petrs was, might be a good match.

August 9, 1286. My steward has been accused of using black magic. I guess they think Santxo’s bringing in so much cash to the kingdom, he must be up to some foul wickedness. Ridiculous. Just for show, I decide to hold a fair trial locally, and of course these idiotic allegations are shown to have no basis in fact whatsoever. People can be so ignorant and stupid.

April 4, 1287. My health has greatly improved over the winter, and I owe it all to this wonderful doctor my vassal, the Duke of Thessalonike sent me last fall. He was trained in the ancient greek methods, and has been able to quiet my nervous stomach with wine spiced with marjoram and mint. Not only does my stomach feel better, but I have gained weight and have greater strength and energy.

January 28, 1288. My eldest son, Froila has completed his education with his tutors at court. Alas, there’s not much good to be said of him, as he is still utterly lacking in grace or charm, and cannot be trusted to keep his promises. Of course, it’s hard to be charming when you’re sloshed to the gills and he may not remember half of what he says. Unfortunately, he is my son, and I must do something with him. Perhaps a good woman will make him more acceptable to polite society.

February 7, 1288. The Duke of Poitou agreed to marry his only child, Carlota to Froila. I am very pleased with this match as Carlota is mature for a young bride and well spoken. Maybe she can teach Froila something. I suppose he should have some land, as well. Very well, he may be Count of Lisboa. I just hope the court doesn’t get the bright idea of placing him on the throne, first-born or not.

October 22, 1289. My little brother, Frantzes, the diocese bishop claims my steward is a heretic, based on a few offhand comments he has made. The man has no sense of humor whatsoever. I’m fed up with Frantzes; I don’t need his constant nagging about my supposed impiety, and I certainly don’t need him interfering with my court. I tell him to find some other court to pester. I replace him with Luix al Ayubi. Hopefully, he will be less troublesome.

March 27, 1289. My daughter, Pilare is so cunning and wily, I just have to make her my spymaster. I feel bad for Salbatore, but maybe if I offer him my daughter’s hand, he’ll understand it’s purely a decision based on her exceptional skills. Honestly, I wish I could make Pilare my heir—she’s so much sharper than any of her brothers.

September 17, 1289. My brother-in-law, Antso de Amaya has gone completely out of his head; I think he believes himself to be one of Christ’s apostles. He keeps telling me that he went to the tomb and it was empty. I guess it was hard on him when his wife contracted leprosy and died, but the spectacle of him challenging my sister Florentxi’s skill as chancellor was almost humorous. He was literally frothing at the mouth. And the state of his robes!

January 21, 1290. Now that my brother Gutxi has been fully trained in the army, I get him a lovely wife, Lore al-Ayyubi.

August 23, 1290. Florentxi’s husband Elazar has died; he was getting quite old and frail.

February 22, 1291. I have a daughter, Anderazo

January 15, 1293. I marry my son Matai to Riquilda de Toulouse, older sister of the Count of Narbonne. Matai has become a man of impressive skill at arms, clever in planning and tactical maneuvers. I make him Count of Braganza and Duke of Galicia as well. The court should recognize him as my heir, rather than my wine-sodden older son, Froila.

February 22, 1296. My wife continues to be fertile despite her advancing years, producing another daughter, Yulene.

March 8, 1296. Having tired of my daughter Nikole’s challenges to my chancellor, a position for which she is not well qualified, I decide to marry her off to the King of England. He must be a lecherous old fellow to seek a wife more than fifty years his junior, but then again, my father continued to sire children into his seventies.

January 12, 1297. The clergy are moaning about how I should help the poor fisherman in Santiago. Yes, I realize they had a poor year, but if it’s so important to the church, why can’t they help the fishermen themselves? After all, I deposit hundreds of ducats in their treasury every year.

April 5, 1297. My son Ander has completed his training with the army. Alas, while he learned skill in battle, he has no skill with his tongue. He is crude, unsubtle, and quite honestly more comfortable carousing with mercenaries than in court. Still, he is my son and I should try and find him a suitable wife and some land. Woe betide our Kingdom if any but my second son becomes heir.

April 28, 1297. I have found a woman of extraordinary charm, patience and modesty to marry Ander – Amelina de Lomagne, daughter of the Count of Faro. As a wedding gift I grant him title to our ancestral fief of Labourd. I am loathe to part with it for its historic ties to our family, but we really have only minor holdings on the other side of the Pyrenees these days.

August 6, 1297. My wife, Anderazo, has been quite annoying of late. She’s convinced that now that she’s past her childbearing years that I will have her put away and take up with some young lady of the court. She goes on about the unfairness of it endlessly and has become quite irritable. I think she’s been reading too much about the history of our house about 150 years ago, but I have three sons. There’s no succession emergency, and I’ve never been known as a philanderer.

April 11, 1298. My chancellor and dear sister, Florentxi has not been feeling well lately, complaining of tiredness and headaches. Perhaps I should relieve her of her duties as Chancellor, but she’s worked so brilliantly for me throughout my reign.

April 13, 1298. Anderazo’s behavior has become increasingly erratic. She was padding around the castle barefoot the other day, explaining that she was joining the pilgrimage to Compostela and not to worry because her older sister Estebeni (who’s been dead for 14 years) would take care of her. Fortunately, she did not actually depart but continued to walk in circles out into the courtyard and around the battlements.

January 11, 1299. It appears that I will not enjoy the long life that my father had, as I grow rapidly slower. I never did have his vitality, though the spiced wine did help for many years, it seems it has been enough. My son Matai will carry on from here. I worry that he may be too eager to apply the skills he learned in the army and that he may neglect our economy and the more subtle ways in which wars are waged in Europe. He also needs to sire a son soon as he has only one child, a three-year-old daughter, though I believe his wife is with child again. The kingdom will suffer if his loutish brothers reach the throne.

Western Europe, 1299
Eastern Mediterranean, 1299

Diary of Matai II de Lomagne (1276-1327) King of Aragon and Portugal, Duke of Galicia, Count of Viscaya, Compostela, Santiago, Braganza, El Bierzo, and Burgos

January 12, 1299. I have become king rather earlier than I expected. While he was not a very young man, father’s death still came upon me rather suddenly…indeed I was not even able to make it to Viscaya before he passed away. I would have asked my mother if he had any final words for me, but she’s lost in her own world now…no sense even attempting to talk to her. Reaching the throne young has its advantages, however. I hope to have plenty of time to fulfill my plans. My father and grandfather were rather passive; one could argue that they did little in their time but collect money. While I certainly do not wish to run the kingdom into bankruptcy through the sort of constant warfare the von Franken’s have waged, we do have some historical claims to provinces and there are opportunities for growth. If we do not take advantage of them, our neighbors will. First, however, I need to get all my vassals in line. I may need to send a few extravagant gifts, but the treasury is certainly capable of sustaining them. Once I am secure in my power, I will begin to act. Father’s advisors are the same as they were when I left Viscaya six years ago. I know them well, and feel that I can trust their experience as I find my bearings.

January 23, 1299. The King of Burgundy wishes to ally. Naturally I accept. How can I decline an alliance with the most powerful man in Europe?

June 9, 1299. I have a son! I will name him Estebe, after his great-grandfather who made us Kings of Portugal.

October 4, 1299. While I was studying some correspondence from my vassals in the Holy land last evening, a beautiful young lady-in-waiting came calling at my study door. She asked if I would like wine, and returned with a flask of well-aged red from my vassals lands in Rioja. She paused then, the candlelight bathing her in a soft golden glow, setting off her green eyes and shimmering dark hair. She smiled and asked whether I would like a little company to share my wine. It was very tempting, but I must remain faithful to my wife—it simply wouldn’t do to have my court plagued with scandal.

March 15, 1300. My chancellor, Florentxi’s health has taken a turn for the worse. She is wracked with high fever and painful coughs. I advise her to remain in bed and that I hope to restore her as chancellor when her health returns. In the meantime, I decide to make the bishop, Luix al-Ayyubi my new chancellor, as he is gifted with words. I suppose I should have a bishop, though. Maybe Ferrando de Chacim bishop, from my old court in Braganza, will do. He isn’t half the orator Luix is, and I’m not sure he’s the model of Christian virtue, but I don’t really see the post as that important anyway.

January 11, 1301. I decide the time has come to right an old wrong. My grandfather allowed Asturias de Oviedo to break free of the realm, but I intend to restore it. I rally the troops in Viscaya and tell Marshal Antso to do the same in Burgos—we will meet in Asturias de Santillana and march on him. Count Velasco de Barcelona-Urgell is able to muster a surprisingly large force--over 8500 men. I might bring in the Santiago regiment as well, just to be on the safe side.

February 13, 1301. I declare war and march with 14000 men on Asturias de Oviedo. I send word to Patrick to get the forces together in Compostela—to reinforce us later should we need them.

March 14, 1301. We arrive in Asturias de Oviedo and begin a fierce battle

April 5, 1301. We are victorious, and Patrick has arrived to assist in the siege. Perhaps that was a mistake as it is difficult to sustain such a large force in the rugged country here. However, he has only a hill fort, and it should not take long to fall.

April 21, 1301. His keep fallen, Count Velasco has no choice but to surrender to us. Asturias de Oviedo has been restored to our realm at last. It is a rather undeveloped province—not even a proper castle—but it is ours again.

June 8, 1301. I’m told that many other kingdoms in Europe are building grand palaces to house their courts. While I’m not that much for pomp and ceremony myself, I suppose that spending some funds on construction of a large palace might aid in impressing my peers. I will discuss the plans with an architect and at least build one for our royal court here in Viscaya. Perhaps I will even build palaces in other provinces in my demesne, to provide luxurious accommodations when my courtiers visit.

August 22, 1301. My mother has become totally fixated on money lately. All she can talk about is business ventures and merchants and luxury goods. It is quite tiresome.

March 15, 1303. My wife has born a second son, whom I have named Joan. While I plan for Estebe to be my heir, it’s certainly better to have a fallback. Meanwhile, I have heard that my brother’s son, Agosti has inherited the Duchy of Poitou, Bordeaux and Bourbon. The power of the de Lomagne family grows.

August 15, 1303. As Florentxi has recovered from her illness, I restore her to the chancellor’s position. While she is getting on in years, I feel I need her exceptional skill and experience. I wish she had stayed healthy. Maybe she would have been more successful in dealing with my nephew, the Duke of Poitou. To my fury, the traitorous fellow has pledged allegiance to Otto Von Franken, my late friend Heinrich’s grandson and the new King of Burgundy.

June 8, 1305. Our iron mine in Viscaya has collapsed. Perhaps they were in too much of a hurry to supply the increased demand from the smithies here and in Burgos. Unfortunately, my labor force is all tied up building the new palace, so we will need to rely on iron imported from

February 15, 1307. War has broken out between the kingdoms of Naples and Croatia. If it goes on for long, there may be some good opportunities to claim of the lands in the southern Spain that are rightfully ours. The only difficulty is that Otto van Franken has inexplicably allied himself with Croatia, despite our long friendship. I hesitate to provoke a war against so powerful an opponent.

March 30, 1307. My elderly aunt and chancellor, Florentxi, passed away peacefully in the night. It is well that Luix had some experience in the chancellor position as he will return to it now.

May 2, 1308. Rather than risk provoking Burgundy, I decide to push northward against Burgundy’s former vassal, the Duke of Toulouse. I had asked Luix to see if I might be able to press a claim to the Duchy of Toulouse itself, but he felt that I was still to new in my power for such a large claim. I was considering waiting, but it looks as if Von Franken will soon force the duke to peace, so instead, I lay claim to the count of Narbonne. My wife is the count’s daughter, after all. I think our regiments from Viscaya and Burgos should be sufficient.

August 18, 1308. I offer Chancellor Luix the hand of my lovely and scholarly niece, Arantzazu.

August 23, 1308. I declare war on the Count of Narbonne and march north with 15,000 men from Rosello. The counties of Rouergue and Toulouse declare war upon us.

September 4, 1308. The siege of Narbonne begins.

October 27, 1308. Narbonne is ours. The count is forced to concede his title, drop his old claim on El Bierzo and pay a substantial sum in reparations. I move northward into Carcassonne to engage a small force of the Duke of Toulouse’s that fled from Van Franken’s siege of Toulouse.

November 18, 1308. I am at peace again, our objective of the rich town of Narbonne claimed.

September 29, 1309. The Catharite heresy has taken firm hold in the county of Braganza. Perhaps I should have been more forceful in suppressing it when I was count there, but I never had much interest in the doctrinal schisms of the church. However, this could negatively impact the stability of the realm.

December 28, 1309. As I expected, Von Franken has forced the Duke of Toulouse to relinquish all his titles. My court is being flooded with refugees from the de Toulouse family.

May 24, 1310. My dear sister and spymaster, Pilare, has been the victim of a dreadful murder. There are rumors that the mad courtier Danel de Amaya may be responsible, but I have no proof. I appoint her husband Salbatore in her place. Surely he will use his contacts to uncover the truth of this heinous crime.

Oct 9, 1310. My mother came to see me in a state of some excitement this morning. She had drawn up these elaborate (and really rather unrealistic) plans to besiege von Franken’s castle in Aargau, and wanted me to give her a regiment to lead. Apparently she’d already pestered Marshal Antso about it. Just to get rid of her babbling, I told her I would think about it.

Oct 13, 1310. Mother is really trying my patience. After badgering me for several days about her ridiculous plans to invade Burgundy, I finally told her I had absolutely no intention of making war on the greatest power in the world, and that even if I did, I certainly wouldn’t want her leading the troops. This got rid of her, but now she has this totally forlorn era, as if her self-confidence was wounded to the core. Sigh.

Nov. 5, 1310. That lying vixen, Pilare de Amaya is claiming I fathered her child. She’s a girl of exceptional talent—she has headed a number of successful trading ventures—but trying to pawn her bastard son off on me is simply outrageous. Everyone knows I am faithful to my wife; no breath of scandal has ever touched my marriage.

March 7, 1311. I knew that Catharite heresy in Braganza was going to cause problems. The burghers there are demanding a change from feudal contract law, and many of them have gone into open revolt against my authority.

April 25, 1311. The famous Templar warrior, Geoffrey de Charnay has arrived in my court. Apparently, things are not going well for the Templars in von Franken’s realm. He has asked if I would like him to train Estebe. While his sum is exorbitant, his reputation is excellent, and our treasury is bountiful.

September 11, 1311. My mother passed away this morning. I can’t honestly say I am greatly unhappy—the mother I knew has been dead for almost fifteen years.

July 4, 1312. I decide that my eldest daughter Agurtzane is too skilled to marry out of my court, so instead I offer her hand to Barral de Toulouse.

December 7, 1312. Bands of armed men have begun to harrass my agents in Braganza. I call up the local militia to crush them before they do any more damage.

December 18, 1312. I hear excellent reports of Marshal Antso’s courageous leadership on the battlefield against the rebels in Braganza..

January 12, 1313. Less than a month after Antso demolished the pathetic rebel forces, those heretic burghers in Braganza have the gall to again demand a change from feudal contract law. I shall crush them.

February 23, 1315. While the alliance between Burgundy and Croatia holds, I cannot risk a war with Croatia. However, there are other realms in the peninsula. The Kingdom of Naples’ vassal in Alcacer do Sal has long irritated me, preventing me from controlling the road southward to my vassals in southern Portugal. I decide to use my title as King of Portugal to grab the title of Alcacer do Sal and prepare for war. I gather troops from Viscaya and go to Barcelona to meet up with the Narbonne regiment, while Marshal Antso leads 7000 men south from Santiago.
April 22, 1315. I declare war. Marshal Antso marches on Alcacer do Sul. The Kingdom of Naples and County of El Rif declare war upon me, but as Naples is still at war with Croatia, I excpect little resistance from them.

June 9, 1315. Antso forces the Count of Alcacer do Sal to relinquish his holding to me. With over 11000 men, I board ships for Sicily to take the war to the King of Naples’ home turf.

September 2, 1315. Chancellor Luix is suffering from ill health these days, and is sometimes too weak to get out of bed.

February 15, 1316. I land in Sicily. The king of Naples and Count of El Rif both give me tribute in return for peace. I must find a wife for Estebe.

February 17, 1316. I have found a wonderful wife for Estebe…extremely thoughtful and careful, skilled in finance. She is the daughter (and formerly the steward) of the Duke of Nikomedia, Zuhaira Ibn Uqail. My vassal, the Count of Prusa, advised me of her and I am very pleased by the reports. It will take a while for her to reach us, but I look forward to meeting her and the upcoming wedding. I’ll give Estebe the County of Alcacer do Sal as a wedding present.

May 6, 1316. Steward Santxa is complaining that his old bones are constantly sore and he needs assistance in walking around.

July 19, 1316. Paulo al-Ayyubi urges me to consider him for the position of Bishop. I decide to do so, as Ferrando was more of an emergency choice than a well-considered one. Paulo is certainly cleverer and a more elegant speaker.

November 8, 1316. My chancellor’s condition has worsened, particularly his cough. He has a great deal of difficulty breathing and he simply can’t continue in his duties. I fear that the advisors my father left me are aging and will soon pass away. My son-in-law, Barral de Toulouse seems the best replacement available.

April 29, 1317. Now my marshal, Antso has fallen ill. Am I running a kingdom or a hospital?

August 3, 1317. Antso has died, after a painful summer of digestive problems and tremendous weight loss. I decide to replace him my old friend, Ion. He is elderly, but so much more experienced in battle than anyone else I have available.

October 27, 1317. The Bishop of Navarra has rebelled against my young cousin the Duke of Navarra. These meddlesome clergyman cause me no end of trouble. I must assist my cousin, so I muster my forces in Viscaya and Ion musters those in Burgos for battle.

October 28, 1317. This has been a sad year for the Kingdom, as I have lost a number of old friends. Now my spymaster, Salbatore has passed away after many years of service in our court. Fortunately, I believe I have a good replacement in my niece, Ximena de Lomagne, who has a sharp and subtle mind.

February 2, 1318. Ion assists the Duke of Navarra in besieging the renegade bishop after a fierce battle. I disband my own forces as it appears they will not be needed.

March 27, 1318. The Duke of Navarra has captured the province. Our kingdom as again at peace.

February 12, 1319. Perhaps it was an error to send my dear friend out campaigning at his advanced age, as Marshal Ion died yesterday. I have no outstanding candidates for marshal at the moment; I suppose Gergori al-Ayyubi will do.

February 27, 1319. Another sad passing, as my steward Santxo collapsed and died this morning. After some thought, I decide to replace him with Pilare de Amaya. I do not fully trust her, but her skill is unquestionable.

October 9, 1319. The passing of the old guard in these past few years has convinced me that I need to continue my plans to increase the power of our Kingdom while I am still vigorous. I have long coveted the lands of the Duke of Cyrenaica in Iberia, particularly the province of Badajoz. I decide to press a claims on Count of Calatrava and Count of Badajoz. Gergori musters forces in Santiago and El Bierzo to head south for Niebla. I lead the Viscaya regiment south toward Salamanca.

November 19, 1319. Alas, even my younger courtiers are dying. My spymaster, Ximena has died in labor. Her older sister Arantzasu has a similar cast of mind, and I decide to employ her in the post.

December 23, 1319. I am ready for war. I declare on the Count of Calatrava and Duke of Cyrenaica. Gergori marches 12000 men from Niebla to Badajoz, while I lead 8500 from Molina towards Calatrava.

January 23, 1320. The Duke of Zaragoza sets sail for Tobruk with 22,500 men.

February 4, 1320. While I am riding with the army, I receive a messenger with sad news. Yet another passing in my court. Though Raisenda was not the most tactful or elegant of ladies, she was a loyal wife and the mother of my children. Unfortunately, as I am at war, I cannot stop our efforts to give her a proper mourning.

March 11, 1320. I engage a paltry force in Calatrava. Gergori sends good news from Badajoz, saying that the castle has nearly fallen. I instruct him to ship the troops for Tobruk when he has completed the siege. I will guard against any Cyrenaican counterattack.

March 30, 1320. The Count of Calatrava concedes his title to me without even waiting for the castle to fall. I send an emissary to the Duke of Cyrenaica saying that I will accept peace in return for Badajoz and a small sum of gold.

April 6, 1320. The duke accepts my generous peace offering. The wealthy Moorish city of Badajoz is mine, at last! While I am taking stock of our holdings with Barral and Pilare, we discover that I can proclaim myself Duke of Ascalon. I have other concerns to think about. My second son Joan has grown into an impulsive and energetic young man and he needs a wife. Come to think of it, perhaps I should remarry myself. Unfortunately, I fear I have acquired something of a reputation in Europe for being power-hungry.

August 12, 1320. I find a wife for myself first--Elizabeu de Bearn, the eldest daughter of the Count of Braganza. She’s quite a pleasant girl, generous and soft-hearted, and as the Count has no sons, an interesting inheritance is possible.

August 29, 1320. I have finally found a good match for Joan – a distant cousin, the beautiful and crafty chancellor and daughter of the Duke of Braganza, Berengaria de Lomagne. Perhaps her sage advice will counter his tendency to rash action. I make him count of the troublesome province of Braganza.

November 10, 1320. Marshal Gergori has been very gloomy of late. I had thought he would be pleased as he proved himself capable in our recent war, but it seems like the return to peace has left him feeling useless.

June 17, 1321. I have a third son, Agosti. While I have two older sons already, I am very pleased to have another, particularly one who is potentially heir to Zamora, and possibly Bearn as well.

October 7, 1321. Unfortunately my new son was a sickly child and has already died. I console Elizabeu, telling her of how young she is and how many more sons she will doubtless bear.

January 20, 1322. A man of my court, Pedro de Normandie has been excommunicated for heresy. Apparently, he was acquiring more than just casks of wine from his contacts in Braganza. He’s not really an important courtier, however, and as far as I’m concerned, his religious beliefs are between him and God.

April 18, 1322. Chancellor Barral is being driven to distraction by the odd behavior of my daughter Agurtzane. She talks to invisible friends and hides under the bed at night out of fear of assassins.

August 28, 1322. My former chancellor, Luix has died, after many years of illness. I believe he is the last of my father’s advisors; they are all gone now. I hope he has found relief from his affliction at last.

November 9, 1322. My uncle Frantzes is demanding that I consider him for the position of diocese bishop, arguing that Paulo lacks true faith and is only interested in self-aggrandizement. Honestly, Frantzes would not make a bad bishop, but he’s over 60 now and I would prefer he not strain himself in his golden years.

January 16, 1323. I have a daughter, Geraxane.

March 24, 1324. My new mine in Vizcaya has collapsed. I must consult scholars over this problem and see if there is some way in which we can construct our iron mines more safely.

June 26, 1325. The bishop has brought Pedro de Normandie to me on charges of heresy. Of course, I had heard he held unorthodox views, but in my view, this is a religious problem, not a secular one.

November 12, 1325. Paulo angers me by pestering me about Pedro again. I already told him that I will not try him in court. He’s making me regret my decision to stay with him as bishop.

January 19, 1326. Another shocking murder! My poor Ximena was strangled with a garotte from behind; I’m surprised she was caught unaware. It must have been someone she trusted. My daughter Agurtzane was seen in that area of the palace, but…surely not. I think I will make another of the Toulouse refugees, Esteve my new spymaster.

June 14, 1326. Excellent news. I was attending the coronation of the new King of Burgundy in Aargau, and he has decided to shun Croatia and reestablish his traditional friendship with Aragon. I feel I will soon be able to move against Croatia. We have claims on the Prince of Toledo and several counties in the South. After a successful war there, I might be able to revive the old title of King of Castille.

July 22, 1326. Aarrgh! My renegade nephew Agosti de Lomagne, the Duke of Poitou has inherited the county of Lisboa upon my brother’s death. I still don’t understand why he chose to become part of Burgundy instead of his own family’s realm.

September 3, 1326. The Pope is trying to drum up the Crusades again. I gather the Emirate of Arabs has conquered Antiochea and the Pope wants to return it to proper Christian rule. I think he’s just trying to distract us from the internal conflict with the Franciscan order over the poverty of Christ and his apostles. In any event, I have other matters on my mind. I am hoping for a campaign against Croatia before my reign ends.

September 25, 1326. Bishop Paulo dies—rather ironic that one of the reasons I left him in as Bishop was his relative youth, and it turns out Frantzes has outlived him. Still, I do want a younger man in the post—perhaps my gloomy cousin Froila.

January 24, 1327. This Crusade of the Pope’s is already stirring up trouble. My distant cousin, the Duke of Palestine has decided that he needs to be fully independent in order to better deal with potential fallout from the Crusade. I’d have thought he’d be better off with a strong Kingdom to back him up, but I let it pass. It’s not as though I’ve ever given much thought to those lands and they don’t contribute much to the treasury anyway.

June 23, 1327. That doddering old fool, Pope Gilchrist d’Audley is demanding that I repent my skepticism. I defy him to prove that I am not of the true faith. I think he’s just trying to drum up more support for his crusade.

August 28, 1327. Another daughter, Fermany to cheer my weary old body.

September 21, 1327. The end has come upon me sooner than I hoped. I had so much left to do. However, I did have a chance to talk about my plans with Estebe when his family visited Viscaya last winter, and I think he knows the time is near to strike against Croatia and establish ourselves as the primary power in Iberia. He’s a good man, but a little naïve for a king.

A bit more of an exciting reign with Matai II, rather than his father. Hopefully Estebe can carry on where his father left off, especially now that Burgundy and Croatia have stopped their triangulation with you. And quite a dying off of your court. One minute, you have more people than you can count, and the next, there is barely enough to staff positions. :rolleyes:

I'm starting into the next reign and I'm ready to go after Croatia--I should be able to handle Croatia, as long as I don't get attacked by anybody else during the war--you know how the A.I. loves to do that.

I'm a little uncertain about how vassals change hands during war. Am I correct in assuming that if I get a Duke of Toledo title in a war with the Prince of Slavonia & Toledo that I should at least get those vassals that are within the duchy's limits? Will I get other vassals of the Prince of Slavonia that are closer to Toledo than Slavonia? If I get the two vassals in Toledo, and the province of Granada (which I have a claim on, as well), I'll be only one county away from King of Castille. And Cordoba is currently an independent county, so it seems there's a good chance Estebe III will make himself King of Castille. That's the plan anyway.

>Am I correct in assuming that if I get a Duke of Toledo title in a war with the Prince of Slavonia & Toledo that I should at least get those vassals that are within the duchy's limits?

mm.....I ... am uncertain here. IF say he was only Prince of Toledo, and you took his title, then yes - they'd follow the title to you. However, since these vassals are technically sworn to Slavonia AND Toledo...they may well stay with him unless you take his Slavonia title as well.

> Will I get other vassals of the Prince of Slavonia that are closer to Toledo than Slavonia?

Definitely not.

>If I get the two vassals in Toledo, and the province of Granada (which I have a claim on, as well), I'll be only one county away from King of Castille. And Cordoba is currently an independent county, so it seems there's a good chance Estebe III will make himself King of Castille. That's the plan anyway.

It's a good plan though! Good luck!

lovely AAR, however how is your vassal loyality doing ? it seems several dukes have broken away ... :eek:

and what with youre rep pressing so many claims?

It was really more vassals of my Duke's loyalty issues that was getting to me. It might not have been clear, but the Duke of Poitou (though he is a nephew of Matai II) inherited an independent duchy while he was still a child in his father's court, so he was never actually my vassal, and the Duke of Palestine going independent was a crusade-related event.

The reputation did get down to tarnished for a while, though. The next reign is proving to have some unanticipated challenges, however, as I got excommunicated.

I'm a little behind, just read Luk's diary. Sounds like you did a lot of necessary consolidation. I'll try and read the others in a bit.

Diary of Estebe III de Lomagne (1299-1357 ), King of Aragon and Portugal, Duke of Galicia and Ascalon, Count of Viscaya, Asturias de Oviedo, Compostela, Santiago, Alcacer do Sal, Badajoz, El Bierzo, Calatrava, Burgos and Narbonne

September 22, 1327. By the time I made it to Viscaya from my home in Alcacer do Sul, father was already gone. I hope that he found God in the end, as his faith always seemed frail to me. When I think on it, it seems that father had as much difficulty trusting in God’s mercy and guidance as he did trusting the people around him.

Perhaps it was due in part to the people he surrounded himself with. While his courtiers are highly skilled, so many of their plans seem to involve subterfuge and trickery, and aside from Bishop Froila, none seem overly concerned with their salvation. I plan a more straightforward, transparent approach to rulership that has served me well in Alcacer. For example, chancellor Barral is urging me to send expensive gifts to all my vassals. Why should I need to bribe them? They have sworn fealty to me; I trust them at their word. However, I do not dismiss lightly the skills of father’s court. The only change I will make immediately is to place my good friend, Estebe Pais as marshal as he has served that position well for me for several years.

While I am still a young man, I have had the good fortune to have already had two sons and three daughters by my wife, Zuhaira. Our family line is secure, and that makes it easier to move against Croatia soon. I have heard that even the common people in some of the provinces in southern Iberia are turning away from Rome to the Eastern Church, under the influence of their Slavic rulers. I may not be able to take all of Croatia, but I do intend to bring more of it under the Holy Father’s sway. After that, perhaps I can look into freeing Antiochea, as the Pope is urging.

June 23, 1328. I have a third son, whom I name after my father, Matai. Zuhaira and I greatly enjoyed ourselves around my coronation time last year, and it appears that we enjoyed ourselves productively.

December 4, 1328. Bishop Froila has come to me with concerns about the faith of Chancellor Barral de Toulouse. It appears that he has fallen clearly into heresy, and I must exile him him. I will replace him with his younger brother, Rikard de Toulouse, who has a similar gift with words and more conventional views, though perhaps a bit austere.

January 20, 1329. I have received the unfortunate news today that the Crusade to bring Antiochea back to the light of Christ has failed, and the Pope is abandoning the project. It seems sad to think of all those poor people who will be led astray by their infidel rulers, but who am I to question the Holy Father’s decision?

February 12, 1329. I decide that it is time for me to start putting my own stamp on the court. I am very impressed with the wily young Geraxane al Ayyubi. Such a crafty mind hidden behind her demure façade; she seems not to be paying attention yet she sees everything. As I think it’s always a good idea to tie your close advisers into your family, I ask my cousin Mitxel to marry her. I marry her to my cousin Mitxel. He has a similarly sharp mind and his ecclesiastical training shows well in his thoughtful views on faith—I wish I had been a more successful student myself, but my mind seems not so nimble.

March 9, 1329. I decide the time has come to begin bringing the peoples of southern Iberia back to Rome. Eztebe and I have planned out the strategy carefully. I will need to mobilize all the forces in my demesne for Croatia is a strong nation, and will also call upon some of my vassals for support. We have carefully mapped out our planned troop movements. I am determined to declare war on the Prince of Slavonia and Toledo and wrest the title Duke of Toledo from him. It will be a two pronged approach with some forces taking on the provinces controlled by the Prince and his liege the King of Croatia here in Iberia, while other forces will move on the Croatian homeland to force a peace.

Croatia Campaign

April 29, 1329. Alas! The preparations for war prove too stressful for my dear friend Marshal Eztebe, as he collapsed with chest pains and died yesterday afternoon while drilling the troops. I have decided to ask young Frantzes de Lomagne, the Bishop’s son, to be my new marshal. Eztebe was very impressed with his thoughtful approach to strategic decisions, despite his lack of formal training at arms.

July 1, 1329. The day has come. I deliver my declaration war upon the Duke of Slavonia. This results in a rash of war declarations by the King of Croatia, along with his vassals the Prince of Croatia, the Prince of Hellas and the Count of Castellon. But my forces are ready. Matias, the Duke of Asturias will lead 19,000 men into Castellon, while Frantzes leads 13,000 from Salamanca toward Plasencia. Alesander, the marshal of the count of Faro is marching with 14,000 from Calatrava to La Mancha, and I will deliver the killing heading east toward Croatia with 21,000. The forces from north of the Pyrenees will gather in the county of Schwaben and will also attack the Croatian homeland. This will be a long campaign.

October 11, 1329. We successfully negotiated the Alps while the weather was still warm, avoiding the danger of heavy snows. On the plains of Piemonte, I enocunter forces of the Prince of Slavonia who are heading westward toward my lands.

October 28, 1329. We win a glorious victory in Piemonte. While I had originally planned to sail across the Adriatic to Zadar, we have arrived early enough in the year that I think I will focus on the Duke of Slavonia’s holdings rather than those of the King and move on Varadzin. A ship arriving in Genoa brought carried a messenger with excellent news of the campaign. The provinces of La Mancha and Plasencia had already fallen to my forces by the end of summer, and the attention of my generals had shifted to Murcia.

December 21, 1329. My wife managed to arrive here for a Christmas visit to our military encampment. It was wonderful to see her again, but she brought bad news from home. Matias, the Duke of Asturias was captured by the cowardly Count of Castellon and shockingly put to death. As if this were not bad enough, the Duke’s son holds me responsible for his father’s untimely death and has declared war. In my absence, my chancellor took the liberty of asking the Duke of Navarra to mobilize his forces to deal with the rebellious duke.

January 27, 1330. As I ride with my forces across the fertile plains of the Danube toward Krizvecki, I receive good news on a number of fronts. Firstly, Varadzin has already fallen to the forces led by the Count of Schwaben; Krizvecki is the last province controlled by the Prince of Slavonia and Toledo. Also, the Count of Castellon has offered a substantial amount of gold in return for peace which will help to defray the cost of the campaing.

February 15, 1330. We arrived in Krizvecki unopposed and began to lay siege to it. The Prince of Slavonia has agreed to yield the title Prince of Toledo to me. I shall send messengers to ask the Counts of Toledo and Cuenca to swear fealty to me. I also will agree to peace with the King of Croatia now, providing he cede the rich moorish province of Granada in southern Spain. I

February 16, 1330. While my advisors and I were enjoying a succulent tokay aszu to celebrate our victories before heading home, the most dreadful news was brought to me. The Pope has excommunicated me. I cannot believe it. I don’t understand it. I have always tried to lead a good Christian life. Perhaps he blames me for not being able to eliminate the Cathars in my vassal’s province in Braganza? Was I wrong to spare Barral de Toulouse’s life when he was revealed as a heretic? Froila has promised to try to intercede for me with the Pope, but seemed very downcast and had little expectation of success, as the pope is known to be a stubborn man. He is said to be a close friend of my vassal and cousin Inape, the Duke of Navarra. As soon as I return to Spain, I will visit Navarra and plead for his help.

February 21, 1330. The King of Croatia has acknowledged my rule of Granada. I have succeeded in all my objectives for the war, but it seems to matter little as I struggle to save my soul.

June 19, 1330. While I have been totally consumed with searching my conscience and trying to find a way back to the Holy Church, I have leard that the late Count of Prusa’s young heir has refused to take the oath of fealty to an excommunicated King. Perhaps I should punish him, but I understand his point of view and Prusa is far away.

July 25, 1330. As my personal demesne has grown quite large, I decide to grant the county of Alcacer do Sal, my old home, to Bishop Froila’s brother, Paola de Lomagne. The province has been in rebellion lately and maybe a more local ruler will help to cool things off.

August 14, 1330. After some thought, I decide to make peace with the Duke of Asturias in return for the county of Asturias de Santillana. It was in my mind to crush him utterly, but with the excommunication situation, I fear to be seen as excessively harsh. I will be merciful, leaving him Duke of Asturias and Count of Bourges.

September 22, 1330. Arrgh! Citing my excommunication as his reason, the Count of Valladolid has pledged allegiance to my accursed nephew in Poitou.

September 25, 1330. A rare moment of joy in this dark year. My wife’s visit to the army camp last year has led to a newborn daughter, Martje.

January 1, 1331. I am taking stock after a difficult year. My excommunication is causing strained relations with my vassals, who fear reprisals from the Church. I have sent desperate pleas to the pope, asking him to reconsider. In the hopes of proving my faith, I have commissioned the construction of two large domed churches in Viscaya and El Bierzo, and I have also send money to my vassals to improve the houses of worship in their demesnes. I have also begun construction of templar houses in Asturias de Oviedo and Santiago, and Burgos—though the Crusades appear to be over, I feel it can’t hurt to be seen as supportive of holy orders. I hate to squander our treasury in this way, but this is a serious matter.

November 11, 1331. A shipwreck has been discovered on the rocky shores of the Cabo de Ortegal in Santiago. In an effort to appease the clergy, I declare that the spoils should go to the church.

November 21, 1331. As if I had not enough troubles to deal with, Rikard has brought news that I am widely viewed as a coward because of my failure to confront the Pope, and to put down the rebellions firmly. It is so unfair..

June 14, 1333. As my old spymaster was unable to stop rumors of my supposed cowardice, I think I shall employ a new one who may be able to spread more positive news of me. Mikel Al Ayyubi is a rather sickly young man, but he has a sharp mind.

July 4, 1333. My fourth son, Gaskon, was born today.

July 7, 1333. I must exile young Mikel for heresy. He was seen publicly contesting the doctrine of the trinity in a tavern last week. It will not do to be seen tolerating heresy when I am already outside the church’s grace. I replace him at spymaster with his uncle Gergori.

October 13, 1333. While I have been preoccupied with religious matters, my chancellor has been busily arranging for marriages for my children. My daughter Batirtze is an admirable girl, fair-minded, kind and devout and I have decided to marry her to another of the loyal Al Ayyubi family, Ander, who is a serious and faithful young man. But the real prize is for my son Talal who has won the hand of Elvira de Lomagne, the daughter of the Duke of Algarve. Her beauty and charm are already legendary in the courts of Europe. My son will make an excellent ruler after me, though sometimes he may be too meek and try to hard for objectivity in his decisions. Still, I will show my approval by making him Count of Granada and Calatrava and Duke of Toledo. I imagine it’s the influence of his mother who named him, but Talal has always had great interest in Moorish culture. Perhaps his knowledge of their language and customs will help him to rule them effectively.

February 6, 1334. We celebrated the marriages of my two children today with a great tournament in honor of my daughter’s marriage. Of course, many foreign diplomats were unwilling to attend due to my status, but my vassals and I had an excellent time. Alessander de Lomagne, the marshal of Count of Faro won the jousting tournament with a striking exhibition of riding excellence and skillful use of the lance.

December 21, 1334. My steward Pilare died yesterday. It was sudden, but as she was over 50, not totally surprising. I think I shall place my wife, Zuhayra in her place. She served me well as steward in Alcacer do Sal, and now that she’s in her mid-thirties, will likely not have too many pregnancies to interfere with her work.

June 6, 1335. At long last I have been able to work out a deal to appease the pope, by paying indulgences. I certainly hope he intends to do good work with the vast sum I have given him—almost 15% of a treasury that the de Lomagne family had built up through decades of careful stewardship. I also promise to continue to work on bringing the province of the south of Spain back under the Roman church. I begin by staking a claim for Aracena with the Pope’s support. It is currently held by Count Gleb Kosaca, but no doubt the people will be pleased to be returned to have a ruler in accordance with their own faith. I ask Marshall Frantzes to marches southward toward from Burgos to Badajoz with 5700 men. When he arrives, he is to muster the forces in Badajoz, and then move on Aracena.

June 8, 1335. My poor child Gaskon has died.

July 15, 1335. In keeping with my policy of tying my advisors to my family by marriage, my cousin Yenega de Lomagne is married to my spymaster Gegori.

September 28, 1335. I declare war on the Count of Aracena, joined by my old friend Pere, the Count of Faro. Frantzes will crush his paltry forces.

January 15, 1336. The Count of Aracena is forced to concede defeat.

February 13, 1336. A strange and terrible thing happened yesterday. For several minutes, the sun was blotted out during the middle of the day. I ask the clergy to explain this terrifying phenomenon, before panic becomes any more widespread.

February 22, 1336. My daughter Andregoto married to Geraldo Al Ayyubi, my spymaster’s older brother. The Al Ayyubi family are loyal and skilled.

June 5, 1336. My chancellor Ricard de Toulouse is unhappy with that position. I guess now that I’m no longer excommunicated, his position is much less challenging and he’s becoming bored. However, he’s very good at his job, and I just don’t see him as well-suited for anything else.

July 23, 1336. I have inherited some small land holdings in Toledo via Eudes de Lomagne’s marriage to Angela Trpimirovic over a hundred and fifty years ago. It appears to constitute a legitimate claim on the county title. Unfortunately, the King of Croatia has managed to persuade Heinrich von Franken to ally with him, and I cannot risk a war with Burgundy. However, some day the day will come when we can bring Toledo back to proper Catholic rule.

September 10, 1336. Perhaps have been favoring the Al Ayyubi family too much. One of them has the gall to challenge my wife’s skills as steward. I will not tolerate such an attack.

May 30, 1337. I make Luk de Lomagne my new Bishop. I’m rather tired of gloomy old Froila, and he is a family member of great Christian virtue.

August 19, 1337. The most terrible and extraordinary thing has happened. My wife was accused of practicing black magic. I didn’t want to believe that it could be true, but I sent her to the Inquisitor for questioning, and he brought the grim news that she had definitely been trafficking with dark spirits. I cannot believe it. All this time such wickedness had been going on beneath my very nose. I will replace her at steward with my cousin Jone de Lomagne, Chancellor Rikard’s wife. She is not as careful as Zuhayra, but neither is she as secretive.

December 26, 1338. My daughter-in-law, Talal’s chancellor has recommended her younger sister to me as a potential bride. She has much the same quality (and beauty) of her older sister, careful, thoughtful and clever.

July 16, 1339. After six months of increasingly odd behavior, my sister Geraxane is now totally non-responsive. She stares into space for hours at a time and does not respond to questioning. Neither the doctors nor the priests have been able to do anything.

September 16, 1339. It has been a difficult year for my family. My second son, Imanol, has never been vigorous and did not take good care of himself. Sadly, he passed away at only 14.

Febryart 6, 1340. That heretic Mikel al Ayyubi is back at court and stirring up trouble again, making disparaging remarks about my spymaster, his uncle Gergori. Get him out of my kingdom.

March 3, 1340. Although I cannot currently move against Croatia, there is still one independent count in Iberia who follows the eastern Church. I decide to lay claim to the county of Cordoba and prepare for war. Cordoba is a very rich province and supports over 7000 men. I instruct Frantzes to prepare the men in Burgos and Asturias de Oviedo and head southward to Badajoz.

May 23, 1340. I have a daughter, Luixa.

June 14, 1340. I declare war on Jakov Trpimirovic, Count of Cordoba. Frantzes marches on the city.

September 30, 1340. Cordoba is now mine, and Trpimirovic is also forced to yield his outrageous claim on Asturias de Santillana.

April 14, 1341. I have another daughter, Ximena, whom I name after my sister who was so foully murdered years ago.

November 13, 1341. Ill health continues to plague my family. My poor son Matai is suffering from chronic dyspepsia and intestinal discomforts. If something were to happen to Talal, Matai would be only remaining son. I am quite worried. However, Arsendis has become pregnant, and perhaps my wife will bear another son.

March 16, 1342. I marry my 21-year old daughter Tota to young Guigues de Toulouse, son of my steward and chancellor.

May 3, 1342. Catastrophe! My poor wife Arsendis died in labor pains and the baby was stillborn.

June 21, 1342. Events are moving at a fast pace. A ship came in yesterday bearing an urgent message from the Count of Menorca, Sirhan Guthkeled. He has rebelled against his liege, the Duke of Cyrenaica, and wishes to join our Kingdom. I convened a late-night meeting of our advisors and we concluded that it was to our advantage. I accept his vassalage and declare war on the Duke of Cyrenaica.

We will need to send some troops to Menorca immediately to keep him from being crushed, so I send my fastest riders out to Narbonne, Barcelona and Tarragona, asking them to mobilize their forces and sail immediately for Menorca. I will lead my own troops from Viscaya to Barcelona and sail for Menorca from there to take the oath of fealty from the count. Meanwhile, I have instructed the troops of Burgos, Aracena, Badajoz and Asturias de Santillana to gather at Tarragona to voyage for a strike on the Duke’s homeland in Benghazi.

October 29, 1342. I arrive in Barcelona and set sail for Menorca. The word is that my other forces have already arrived there and there has been no attack from Cyrenaica, though ships have been reported in the area.

December 19, 1342. My chancellor decides to take our sea voyage as an opportunity to press me for money. Ha! I decide to replace him with Anderazo Al Ayyubi—at least as talented, far more modest, and much better looking.

January 29, 1343. I arrive in Menorca and meet with the Count, my new vassal. All is quiet, but my spies report that the Duke has over 11,000 men gathered in Mallorca. I have 16,000 in Menorca, however, counting those of the count, however. Meanwhile, Frantzes has sent the message that he boarded over 20,000 men in late December for Benghazi.

May 15, 1343. While I was having a great hunt with my court, there was an attack on Menorca from the count of Constantine. Nearly 10,000 men arrived on the shores of Menorca, led by the Count of Constantine.

April 17, 1343. After several fierce battles—the count of Menorca’s regiment was actually forced to flee we drove off the Count of Constantine, killing or wounding more than half his men. Our casualties were less severe, but still I lost nearly 2000 men.

May 19, 1343. As Menorca is part of my realm now, I decide that it is logical that Aragon should hold all the Balearic Islands. I stake a claim on the title of the Duke’s vassal, the bishop of Mallorca. I send about 8000 men led by Werner Billung, Duke of Catalonia to Mallorca, while I remain with the remainder of our forces to defend Menorca.

July 26, 1343. I hear of the tremendous skill shown by my son-in-law and spymaster’s brother Geraldo Al-Ayyubi in the battle of Mallorca.

August 16, 1343. Emissaries from the Bishop of Mallorca pester me about offering peace in return for relinquishing their claim on Narbonne.

November 20, 1343. A series of unfortunate events has beset us. The Duke of Catalonia has died in the siege of Mallorca, and his young son has been unable to secure the fealty of the Count of Molina. His chancellor begs me to punish the rebellious count. I agree and tell the Count to send his troops home to deal with the rebellion. I take our remaining 4000 troops in Menorca to Mallorca to complete the siege there. I do not think the Duke of Cyrenaica will be able to mount a counterattack.

April 15, 1344. My chancellor informs me that I have inherited an enormous number of claims in the realm of Burgundy through a disinherited first cousin, Bartholemieu de Toulouse, on my mother’s side including: Duke of Anjou, Brittany, Normandy, Provence, Szekezfehervar, Francia, and Toulouse. I’m not sure what I can do about them at this time.

May 25, 1344. The large castle at Mallorca has finally fallen to my forces after a lengthy siege. I suffered greatly personally as a stray arrow struck me in my right hip. It has grown all red and swollen and I can scarcely walk, but the Bishop is forced to recognize my claim here as well as to relinquish his own spurious one to Narbonne. I will now make peace with the Duke of Cyrenaica , forcing him to recognize me as count of Badajoz and Mallorca. He has little choice but to accept, as Frantzes has been in control of his castle for some time.

It was a victory won at great personal cost, but Mallorca is a very beautiful island. As it is difficult for me to get around, I decide to put off the trip home and will hold my court here for the summer. The sea breezes temper the worst of the summer heat.

Unfortunately, it appears that the child Duke of Catalonia has failed to successfully eliminate the Count of Molina, though Froila demolished his forces. I send word to Froila to besiege Molina himself. We will make Molina part of our own demesne if the Duke cannot keep control of it.

July 5, 1344. Maite Al Ayyubi, my chancellor’s sister makes the outrageous claim that I fathered her child. Impossible. I was on a ship when that child was conceived, and she most certainly was not. , and anyway, I would never deceive my wife with an older woman. I need to find a wife for my son Matai (merciful, just, honest, energetic)

August 8, 1344. The Count of Molina makes peace, relinquishes all claims and proves extraordinarily wealthy as well—the tribute he pays is almost enough to cover the cost of the entire war with Cyrenaica.

August 11, 1344. We hold a royal wedding here in Mallorca for my son Matai and Leonor de Lomagne, sister of the Duke of Braganza. I announce to the people of Mallorca that my son Matai will henceforth be their ruler, Count and Duke of Mallorca. They should count themselves lucky to have such a forthright and fair ruler, though his health is still delicate. I learn that I can create another Duchy title, that of Cordoba as well. I am feeling somewhat better, and summer is nearly over, so it is time for me to return to Viscaya. I still have an awkward limp, but I can ride short distances without too much pain.

September 2, 1344. Upon my return to Viscaya, I have found that there is some odd sentiment in favor of Matai rather than my elder son Talal for my successor. Maybe I should have discouraged him from adopting Moorish ways, as it may have caused some to be suspicious of him. I decide to clarify which of my sons I consider my proper successor by granting Talal the titles Duke and Count of Cordoba. Matai is a righteous man, but his frailty is undesirable as a King.

November 10, 1344. I replace Marshal Frantzes with young Beti de Toulouse who shows exceptional tactical savvy.

January 12, 1345. The Kingdom of Burgundy has attacked one of the Duke of Catalonia’s vassals, the Count of Bern. While I hate to leave my vassals in the lurch, I dare not go to war against Burgundy. My spies inform me that they have nearly 600,000 men under arms, and my strength was diminished by last year’s war.

September 30, 1345. Ill news. The Count of Bern has fallen and is now part of the realm of Burgundy..

December 16, 1345. Continuing my long-term plans to re-Catholicize the south of Iberia, I grab the title Count of Alcantara. I cannot press this claim just yet, so long as Burgundy and Croatia remain allied, however.

August 29, 1346. My steward Jone has fallen ill. She complains of tiredness and breathes with difficulty.

November 7, 1346. After two and a half years of pain and hindered movement, I finally feel whole again, despite my advancing years. I thank God for answering my prayers and making me well.

February 3, 1347. I marry my daughter Martie to the brave and strong young Bazil de Lomagne.

February 25, 1347. Now that my health is vigorous again, I decide to marry Velasquita de Lomagne, the sister of the Duke of Navarra.

June 3, 1347. The Duke of Catalonia has been forced to make peace with Burgundy, and has surrendered both Barcelona and Schwaben. I truly regret my inability to help him.

August 14, 1347. Froila de Lomagne, after pestering me for several years about reinstating him as bishop, has departed to the Duchy of Braganza.

October 21, 1347. I appoint my young wife as chancellor. She is a brilliant diplomat—she always keeps her cool, and has great powers of observation and persuasion.

October 9, 1348. Velazquita has given me a son, Galindo.

November 21, 1349. I have a daughter, Urraca.

November 30, 1349. I have decided to lay claim to the title of Mertola. It is a natural part of the Kingdom of Portugal, after all.

July 23, 1350. I have decided to make my grandson by my daughter Batirzte, Josu Al Ayyubi my new spymaster. He is only 16, but his knowledge of what was going on in my court and even foreign courts is astonishing. It appears that he has enlisted all his classmates at the monastic schools to help him gather information, and has acquired other knowledge through blackmail. He’s also alarmingly swift and quiet; he doesn’t leave a room so much as disappear. He may be the most skilled spymaster Aragon has ever had.

September 16, 1350. I have had to deal with the unbelievable and shocking news that my young wife Velazquita is a witch. Am I just very unlucky or have these foul practices taken hold among many of the young women of Aragon? It seems so strange and improbable, but the Inquisitor did a very thorough investigation. I think I will appoint my steward’s daughter Agata de Toulouse in her place as Chancellor.

Aug 22, 1351. Marry my marshal to Tota de Lomagne, an active cousin who enjoys riding and even archery. It seems a good match.

February 1, 1352. I have decided to make a young cousin my new marshal, Fermin de Lomagne. While Beti has served well, I feel Fermin has a better sense of the big picture.

March 2, 1352. I have grown tired of losing at chess to Bishop Luk. It would be nice to think it was a learning experience, but I don’t appear to get any closer to victory after thirty-two consecutive losses. While I do enjoy our discussions of faith, I think I will find some more important task to fill up my Sunday afternoons.

January 22, 1353. New chancellor – Nicole Al Ayyubi. She seems a very smart and virtuous girl(chaste, modest, temperate, trusting, charismatic negotiator)

February 13, 1953. I always feared my son Matai would not enjoy a long life, and I have unfortunately been proved correct. He missed the Epiphany visit this year, as he was suffering from a terrible cough, and his condition rapidly deteriorated. His six-year-old son is now Duke of Mallorca.

April 6, 1354. A group of smiths from Santiago have come to me for support for the most marvellous idea! They have been doing diligent research and they are close to finding a process for manufacturing gold from base metals. Naturally, I will give them all the help and funding they need to bring this project to fruition. Talal is always bragging about the Al Hambra down in his demesne in Granada, but the palace here in Viscaya will far outshine it, once our gold factory is fully developed. Josu thinks they’re nuts, but it’s a spymaster’s job to be suspicious.

July 3, 1354. The count of Zamora has broken free of the Duchy of Poitou. This is an excellent opportunity to grab a valuable province in Iberia, but I must act quickly before von Franken can get his troops to Iberia. I believe I can stake a reasonable claim on it through my mother’s side, as the de Toulouse family used to control it. I declare war and ask Fermin to hurry to El Bierzo and lead the 3500 men there. Reinforcements will be sent from Burgos. Hopefully we can capture the county before Burgundy can get there.

Aug 27, 1354. I knew Fermin would be a good marshal. He has devised this system where he divides his force into subgroups, each of which has a commander and each of these commanders has a number of subordinate leaders and so on. It seems this chain of command is enabling him to do a marvellous job of coordinating his forces in Zamora and changing plans to accomadate developments.

September 20, 1354. Fermin has won the battle of Zamora and is beginning the siege. Unfortunately, the King of Burgundy’s forces have arrived in Jaca and is hurrying toward Braganza, so we must complete it quickly. My friend Pere, the Count of Faro is bringing in his troops to help.

November 19, 1354. The Count of Zamora was forced to relinquish the province to me this morning. I pray that the King of Burgundy does not choose to contest the issue. Nicole tells me that with this latest land acquisition, I can make a reasonable case to resurrect the ancient title of King of Leon, once held by the Jimenez family. I make myself King of Leon! I have also decided to make my cousin Godafres, the Count of Braganza, Duke of Galicia as well.

January 11, 1355. I am certainly fortunate that the Inquisitor is so vigilant in investigating witchcraft in my realm. It appears the latest practitioner of black magic was my young marshal, Fermin. I was impressed by his skills, but no doubt I was under his spell. I have decided to favor a member of a new family that has lately moved to our court, Aimery de Gourdon with the position. I believe they are related to the von Franken’s by marriage, but during some revolt or other, they were driven from Burgundy.

February 3, 1355. Von Franken has over 30,000 men marching around Iberia. It makes me very nervous, particularly as they are enjoying a rare interval of peace. What are they up to?

February 22, 1355. My steward has died of “old age”, though she’s nearly a decade my junior. I appoint her 20-year old daughter, Matilda de Toulouse to her place. Matilda seems a sensible girl with a sharp eye for good financial deals.

May 29, 1356. While I have enjoyed the favor of a number of court ladies over the years, I have decided that I would like to spend my fading years with one young woman I marry the granddaughter of the Duke of Armagnac, Ausilia Cornaro. Such a sweet young girl, fair and kind.

January 13, 1357. It may have been a mistake to marry again, for it seems the feasting and marital bed have exhausted me. This winter has been a hard one and I fear I will not survive it. Still, I have tried to live a good life and I think my tenure as King was a successful one, despite the frustrating alliance with Burgundy which has protected Croatia from me. My son, Talal, will carry on from here. He has a considerable reputation for just rulership, but does not always keep his word, which disturbs me.

Western Europe, 1357

Hmm. Were I you I'd think SEVERAL times before angering Burgundy further.

As for Tal, were I him I'd be giving serious thought to showing the inquisitors the door. Or a stake. Two of his father's wives and the old marshal? That's a lot of witchcraft!

Talal may have some comments on his father's credulity on the subject of witchcraft at the beginning of his reign...in any event, he doesn't share certain traits (trusting, zealous, arbitrary) with his father. An even scarier thing to note about Burgundy at the moment--von Franken is currently papal controller. I hope Talal's prestige is high enough to protect him from excommunication.

I think I see now why you got excommunicated what with all the heretics in your realm. And Burgundy is huge, man. That just ain't right, especially after all the problems the von Franken's had earlier.

And what in the hell is Scotland doing in Tunisia? 'Tis a strange world, it is.