• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm a big fan of this mod, as it's fixes the biggest problem I had with HIP (that being the removed portions of india and east asia). Unfortunately, when it was updated to incorporate the Iron Century start date, all of europe seems to have it's history all fucked up. Germany owns a huge portion of italy among many other things, and it's completely different to what the original SWMH mod had set up for 936. in addition, a huge portion of the provinces in the levant and mesopotamia are empty and have no character or title assigned to them, making the game essentially unplayable.

How would I go about fixing the borders and title setup in europe in the 936 start date so it's like the one from the base HIP mod? Is it just a matter of replacing your mods history edits with those from the base HIP? or is it more complicated than that?

Porting over MOST (I say most since you need to make sure to not copy over files that HIP blanks out such as any vanilla province they removed that I added back in) HIP files should mostly fill in the map yes. You then have to go and make up history for all the new provinces added (around 424 but not all of them need done) and some HIP files would possibly need altered as well due to me moving some provinces.

Like I said before I have no desire to do that myself. This submod is just me putting up part of my own personal modified map and I personally only play later start dates so I have no desire to go through hundreds of history files even if most of it will just be copy and pasting a neighboring provinces title file into the other (not exactly worried about historicity of a date that is mostly made up for most the map anyway).

I went ahead and did the easy part for you which is porting over the non blanked HIP files but if you want to fill in the empty provinces you'll have to do it yourself.

Last edited:
Any advice on installing this mod on a mac? My HIP mod (Frosty2) works fine. I've put the A-ExpandedHIP folder and A-ExpandedHIP.mod file in my /mod folder. Right now, clicking on the 'arrange marriage' button next to the character portrait causes the game to crash to desktop. Are there any other steps I should be following?

Any advice on installing this mod on a mac? My HIP mod (Frosty2) works fine. I've put the A-ExpandedHIP folder and A-ExpandedHIP.mod file in my /mod folder. Right now, clicking on the 'arrange marriage' button next to the character portrait causes the game to crash to desktop. Are there any other steps I should be following?

This mod should have zero impact on whatever is causing that issue as everything in it is related to the map and history files. You are running both it and HIP at the same time right?

Okay, so I solved the marriage problem by unzipping the Charactersbackup.rar file in the A-ExpandedHIP\history folder and using that as the characters folder. However, now when I try to save my game, the game crashes to desktop (menu > save game > click on "save" then crashes). I notice that the folder Expanded HIP created in my root CKII folder is called "HIP_HIP_ExpandedHIP" but the .mod file defines the user_dir as "HIP_ExpandedHIP". Not sure if that's working as designed. Tried to manually "correct" the user_dir folder name, but that didn't have any effect.

Update: It looks like the save > CTD problem is only there for the Old Gods and Iron Century start dates, 1066 works fine as far as I can tell. Any ideas for further troubleshooting?

Last edited:

After only activating both this and HIP, I also seem to be having this issue.

Porting over MOST (I say most since you need to make sure to not copy over files that HIP blanks out such as any vanilla province they removed that I added back in) HIP files should mostly fill in the map yes. You then have to go and make up history for all the new provinces added (around 424 but not all of them need done) and some HIP files would possibly need altered as well due to me moving some provinces.

Like I said before I have no desire to do that myself. This submod is just me putting up part of my own personal modified map and I personally only play later start dates so I have no desire to go through hundreds of history files even if most of it will just be copy and pasting a neighboring provinces title file into the other (not exactly worried about historicity of a date that is mostly made up for most the map anyway).

I went ahead and did the easy part for you which is porting over the non blanked HIP files but if you want to fill in the empty provinces you'll have to do it yourself.
so I've managed to get that version to work properly with the Iron Century start date, but I have a few questions regarding it first.

Firstly, for some reason a few of the games titles (notably Transylvania among others) start the game as republics rather than monarchies, and Kiev is a merchant republic for some reason. This seems to be just with this version of your mod, as I haven't been having it with the base SMWH map and other custom ones. How exactly would I go about fixing this so these titles are feudal or whatever like they should be?

Secondly, how exactly would I go about adding new provinces and their respective titles to the game? I've tried following a guide before, but it just created a blank province owned by no character that didn't have a name and couldn't even be clicked on. is there anything different I'll need to do with your mod to add new provinces compared to the vanilla game? i've heard that I'll need to adjust "sea tiles" or something like that as well for it, but I've never been able to figure out how. How would I go about doing that as well?

Uploaded a new version that shouldn't crash or have any save issues. It also has my current province setup I'm using but I know there are people that don't like wasteland provinces so I left backup files within the zip that can be used. Personally I like using wastelands to try and force borders that more conform to geography and it helps funnel the AI better as well such as preventing the Hejaz from conquering all of inner Arabia in the first 10 years, for example. It's too bad CK2 doesn't have Imperator or EU4 fort mechanics since that could make mountain passes more effective but maybe CK3 will have that.

As a reminder.

This submod is based on you having all the DLC's that expand the map and not using the HIP module that removes parts of the map. To install just extract the folder and .mod file in the zip to your mod directory. Make sure to enable BOTH HIP and this submod.

If you dislike my wasteland provinces then simply copy over the files in the OLD MAP FILES folder in the 'Map' folder into the 'Map' directory. In the localisation folder go in the OLD folder and do the same thing.

The newest bookmarks such as Iron Century are not fully supported in this submod and in general there will be minor map issues up to the 1066 bookmark. There are hundreds of new provinces in this submod and I personally only play later start dates so I have no desire to go through all the files. Anyone else is free to go and do it themselves and post it on the forums.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Hi,
I Downloaded new version on 19th of june 2020. Games runs fine, but cannot load a save file. Attempting to do so causes a CTD. Also when the mod is created, it creates seemingly 2 save in the USER/mydocs/Paradoxinteractive folder. HIP_HIP_ExtendedHIP and HIP_ExtendedHIP. It seems to take the saves from the first one, if that is of any help.

Hi,
I Downloaded new version on 19th of june 2020. Games runs fine, but cannot load a save file. Attempting to do so causes a CTD. Also when the mod is created, it creates seemingly 2 save in the USER/mydocs/Paradoxinteractive folder. HIP_HIP_ExtendedHIP and HIP_ExtendedHIP. It seems to take the saves from the first one, if that is of any help.

Found the issue. characters\mongol.txt is chock full of unnecessary whitespace. That whitespace is hiding a rogue '7' on line 7056 that is screwing up the JSON and making the game think a whole bunch of Mongolians are the same character, who is born after they died. Remove that number, and loading a save works again (so far).

I've included the mongol.txt with the '7' (though not the whitespace) removed.

Attachments

• mongol.txt
    149,3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Found the issue. characters\mongol.txt is chock full of unnecessary whitespace. That whitespace is hiding a rogue '7' on line 7056 that is screwing up the JSON and making the game think a whole bunch of Mongolians are the same character with who is born after they died. Remove that character, and loading a save works again (so far).

Thank you. It now loads saves properly for me. :)

Impressive work. I just have one small nitpick, the Archbishopric (duchy) of Augsburg should be in Swabia (Schwaben) not Bavaria (Baiern/Bayern).

Hi all, fixed some minor bugs regarding some counties not being playable in 867 (bela and cumberland). The bela fix also fixed the issue with a 11 year old bishop in hungary thats supposed to be feudal. I also fixed an issue with d_northumberland and d_meath being republics in early start dates. Ill post these fixes here when i have the time, (ideally tomorrow).

Hi all, fixed some minor bugs regarding some counties not being playable in 867 (bela and cumberland). The bela fix also fixed the issue with a 11 year old bishop in hungary thats supposed to be feudal. I also fixed an issue with d_northumberland and d_meath being republics in early start dates. Ill post these fixes here when i have the time, (ideally tomorrow).
Hey, what a coincidence. I have also started editing the 867 start date. I have already fixed the inaccuracies in Spain (it is now more or less just like the HIP version). I have also fixed the issue of Al-Zaydi, Pskov, Idrisids of Morroco, Northumberland and Chrobatia being republics. Also, I adjusted a few more glaring province issues (Nazareth belonging to the Abbassids and not the d_jerusalem, Salzbach not belonging to Baiern and the Balearic isles are now independent of Aquitaine). Also, I have edited the files to have native localisation. Right now I am still trying to fix some other republics (c_pecs and d_Kano) and whatever else pops up in my radar (which happens a lot. there are a number of county tier republics hidden under lieges).

Last edited:
I loaded up the map and for some reason, sections of the map have noculture. Particularly: Persia, Germany, Russia, and Africa.
20200624051222_1.jpg
20200624051300_1.jpg
20200624051256_1.jpg

Found the issue. characters\mongol.txt is chock full of unnecessary whitespace. That whitespace is hiding a rogue '7' on line 7056 that is screwing up the JSON and making the game think a whole bunch of Mongolians are the same character, who is born after they died. Remove that number, and loading a save works again (so far).

Hey, what a coincidence. I have also started editing the 867 start date. I have already fixed the inaccuracies in Spain (it is now more or less just like the HIP version). I have also fixed the issue of Al-Zaydi, Pskov, Idrisids of Morroco, Northumberland and Chrobatia being republics. Also, I adjusted a few more glaring province issues (Nazareth belonging to the Abbassids and not the d_jerusalem, Salzbach not belonging to Baiern and the Balearic isles are now independent of Aquitaine). Also, I have edited the files to have native localisation. Right now I am still trying to fix some other republics (c_pecs and d_Kano) and whatever else pops up in my radar (which happens a lot. there are a number of county tier republics hidden under lieges).

I went ahead and fixed the Mongol thing. Go ahead and post any other fixes and I'll add them into the download.

I loaded up the map and for some reason, sections of the map have noculture. Particularly: Persia, Germany, Russia, and Africa. View attachment 593633View attachment 593634View attachment 593635

The lack of any localisation makes me think you didn't install things right. Remember that you need to have HIP installed and run the submod WITH HIP.

For the plague of republics, the issue is that all the historic buildings in the unused Historic Buildings - HIP - Old Don't use folder are still present in the regular history files. This is fine if they are first created after your game's start date, but if they occur before, CK2 does the level-headed thing and razes the barony they were added to. This means that a fair few leaders have their capital castle removed, leaving them with a city and an automatic non-functioning republic (or maybe a temple and a theocracy). As I fixed this on my copy late after work by just replacing every history/provinces file that hadn't been added back in by this mod with its Frosty2 equivalent, I don't really have any quality files to hand over, but that is the gist of it.

Last edited: