Stellaris - Having planet screen open nearly freezes game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BlackholePD

Second Lieutenant
23 Badges
Dec 12, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Magicka
Description
Having planet screen open nearly freezes game

Game Version
Wolfe 2.2.3 70ef

What version do you use?

Steam

What expansions do you have installed?
All of the above

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
This might be related to inevitable late game slowdown, but this issue is so specific that I feel it is its own distinct bug.

I have tolerable framerates unless the planet management UI screen is open. As soon as I open this screen, my framerates tank to something like 5fps. Moreover, making any changes to the UI, such as clicking buttons, or hovering over icons, will result in the UI taking up to five seconds or more to respond.

This issue appeared fairly suddenly, and, perhaps noteably, immediately after I completed Synthetic Ascension and converted most of my population into synths.

I have also recorded a video of this occurring. The long waiting periods while I am on the planet screen are me waiting for the UI to respond (I move and click immediately);

Steps to reproduce the issue.
Play the game until fairly late game. In my case, I had around 5000 empire pops. Complete the synthetic ascension special project and convert the majority of your pops to synths. Open the planet screen. In my case, this causes the above issue. The problem persists if and only if the planet screen UI is open.

Upload Attachment

Upvote 0
You really should attach the save file, so the devs can look into it. I only know the issue with the slave market screen lagging out from too many Pops being sold (the amount of Pops, that can be sold at once really has to be capped to stop this).

Just coming back to say that I checked, as I thought that a glaring issue such as this would have been fixed with the latest major version change. New launcher looks fancy, gamebreaking planet screen lag is still unchanged.

Way to drive me off of a game I've sunk hundreds of hours into in one swoop... The game literally cannot be played past late game for me, due to whatever calculation is holding up the planet screen.

As the poster above you mentioned 1 month ago, there is really nothing we can do without a save. A video or screenshot only really helps in illustrating the issue but fixing it usually requires recreating it, which we haven't been able to on our machines with just late-game saves. If you still have this issue, and a save, regardless of it being ironman or not, please upload them.

Very disappointed to discover that, almost a year later, this is still an issue. Happens reliably when the planet screen is open when there are a lot of empire pops. Seriously, simulation runs okay when the planet screen is closed but when opened, the entire game (and UI) freezes up? Surely there should be a fix for this. Shocked that several versions later and a bunch of DLC in the bag at that, there apparently hasn't been...

Here's my own save this time, if it helps. Again this was an empire that had completed synthetic ascension, but that might be a coincidence. The issue didn't start to be noticeable until after I had expanded my empire bounds significantly in a large war, which was a fair while after my original pops had been converted to synths.

Again, when this issue appears, it renders the game essentially unplayable. I'm not on the most advanced hardware, but the game runs passably up until the point where I start seeing the issue, and indeed while the planet screen is closed after the issue starts (I do get some late-game lag, but only on the order of a gradual increase). However, as soon as the planet screen is opened, the entire game almost locks up, with a low framerate for background graphical elements, seemingly "slowed" animations, and a UI response time on the order of several seconds.

As this issue only occurs while the planet screen is open, and not during other gameplay, that leads me to think that it's more of a specific glitch with this screen than with my computer having trouble running the game generally (having the planet screen open shouldn't make the background simulation more intensive, plus you still get this glitch while the game is paused?). It is however seemingly correlated to having a large pop number, as I've only got it towards the start of the endgame when I have a large empire.

Attachments

• ironman.sav
    3,7 MB · Views: 0
Аналогичная проблема. Также после синтнетического восхождения. Версия 2.7.2 (60bf)

Attachments

• ironman.sav
    3,7 MB · Views: 0
Same issue, but without Synths:
Wells 2.7.2 [60bf] Slow performance only when paused