• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #328 - New Year, New Beta

Hello everyone!

I hope that you all had a pleasant holiday season, and want to start off by thanking everyone that submitted feedback regarding the Technology Open Beta. That data we gained from these experiments was invaluable, so let’s get right into it.

Summary of Results​

As expected, the players that responded to the survey were overwhelmingly passionate players that have a ton of experience with the game. Nearly 70% of responses come from players that have over 1,000 hours played in the game. This is somewhat natural for an opt-in beta over the holidays with an intimidating feedback form, so I wanted to thank you all again for filling it out.

There was a strong consensus around the military changes (ship cost and upkeep), so we’ll likely be keeping those mostly as-is.

The technology changes were naturally more controversial. Roughly 80% of responses believed that technology (especially at higher tiers) was overall too slow in the beta, but a majority still thought that the changes were beneficial to the game overall. Several of you pointed out that so many simultaneous changes compounded too strongly, and we agree. I was happy to see that your feedback matches our expectations - we expected that the Open Beta was tuned too harshly and that we would want to pull back from it before release.

The Open Beta also revealed several technical issues, including some major performance implications from how Breakthrough Technologies interacted with diplomacy.

Next Steps​

Overall, I view the Technology Open Beta as a great success, and as such am taking the opportunity to update it and let it run for another few weeks, after which we will decide whether or not we want to continue experimentation, integrate it into 3.11 (or 3.12), or discard the initiative.

We concur that the original Open Beta went too hard on technology. We liked some of the things we were seeing, such as tier 3 and 4 technologies becoming more valuable for an extended part of the game, but felt that it delayed other critical parts too long. Breakthrough Technologies were interesting as a slowdown mechanic, but if kept would likely need some sort of temporary (non-technology or unity related) bonuses as some form of reward for the frontrunners. The excessively high costs for late tier techs pushed some critical technologies such as Ascension Theory or Mega-Engineering too late in the game, and certain undesirable behaviors (like ignoring research entirely) were too effective.

The updated Technology Open Beta should be up on stellaris_test now, with the following changes:

[Feature]
  • Difficulty Adjusted Technology Costs slider added to galaxy generation. This slider adjusts technology costs based on tier and game difficulty.

[Beta]
  • Removed Breakthrough Technologies.
  • Reverted base technology costs to their 3.10.4 values - the increased cost between tiers is now handled by the Difficulty Adjusted Technology Costs slider.
  • Removed the majority of Researcher Upkeep Modifiers introduced into the Open Beta.
  • Reverted changes to Knights research output from the Open Beta.

[Balance]
  • Tweaked the tiers of technologies that increase naval cap and fleet command limit.
  • Reduced the amount of Naval Cap granted by technologies.
  • Significant changes to Bio-Reactors:
    • Bio-Reactors are now a tier 1 rare technology instead of a tier 0 technology, and are available to all empires.
    • Bio-Reactors now reduce the food output of farmer jobs and give them a small amount of energy output.
    • Added a tier 2 Advanced Bio-Reactor technology and building.
    • Advanced Bio-Reactors further reduce the food output of farmers in exchange for a small amount of exotic gas output.
  • Decreased the amount of research produced by unemployed pops with Utopian Abundance.
  • Event options in the Knights' quest that improve their capital have been buffed to be better balanced compared to the options that improve knight jobs.

At player request, we have kept the older version of the Technology Open Beta available on stellaris_test_old. It will remain there until the release of 3.11 “Eridanus”.

Difficulty Adjusted Technology Costs​

One of the frequent points of feedback was that there was concern that newer players would be hit especially hard by the technology cost changes. We also recognize that different players have different desires for the pacing of the game, so we’ve added another slider to galaxy generation.

The Difficulty Adjusted Technology Costs slider adjusts the base cost of technologies based on the difficulty of the game. Higher tiers of technology are affected to a greater degree than lower ones, so this slider essentially affects “tier width”. While this does overlap with the Technology Costs slider to a degree, it does so in a different way, so we consider each to have valid reasons to exist as separate sliders.

New Difficulty Adjusted Technology Costs setting

Disabling Difficulty Adjusted Technology Costs will cause them to follow the 3.10.4 / Civilian difficulty curve. As with many other galaxy generation sliders, the Stellaris team will be balancing the game around the Normal setting.

Normal scaling tech cost graph

Tech Curves of basic technologies on “Normal” scaling, at different difficulty levels.

The base cost of technologies is now based on 3.10.4’s formula, y=1000*2^x, multiplied by the difficulty modifier of 1 + (q*x*d), where x=technology tier, q=difficulty adjusted tech cost galaxy setting (0 - 0.10, default 0.05), and d=difficulty (Civilian = 0, Grand Admiral = 6).

Normal scaling tech cost spreadsheet

TierXCost1 technologies at different difficulties, on “Normal” scaling (q=0.05).

For the players that enjoyed the larger amount of distance between tech tiers, scaling can go up to a maximum of “Extreme”, which gives Grand Admiral a curve that is similar to, but not exactly, the Open Beta numbers. Note that technology acquisition will still be faster than the old Open Beta as we’ve removed Breakthrough Technologies.

Extreme scaling tech cost graph

Tech Curves of basic technologies on “Extreme” scaling, at different difficulty levels.

Extreme scaling tech cost spreadsheet

TierXCost1 technologies at different difficulties, on “Extreme” scaling (q=0.10).

Previous open beta tech costs for reference

Previous Open Beta values for reference.

We have a new feedback form for this version of the Open Beta, available here. As with the previous version, you can respond multiple times if you have different thoughts after different playthroughs. Please let us know what you think, and whether you think we’ve gone back too far in the other direction.

Currently we're planning on collecting feedback from this phase of the Technology Open Beta for two weeks, until the 1st of February, but will leave the branches available until the 3.11 "Eridanus" update releases later on in the quarter.

See you all next week!

Please note that the Technology Open Beta is an optional beta patch. You have to manually opt in to access it.
Go to your Steam library, right click on Stellaris -> Properties -> betas tab -> select "stellaris_test - Technology Open Beta" branch.
Please disable mods for the Technology Open Beta, they are likely to break.
In-progress games should continue on the “stellaris_test_old” branch.

Leave your feedback!

Eladrin is talking about turning off your mods, and now the Community Team shows up, telling you to download more mods:

Want a sneak peek at the Legendary Leaders included in #MODJAM2024? Check out the feature video:

Voting will run until February 11th, so there's still plenty of time to play and vote for your favorite submission here!

• 58Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
"Removed" breakthrough technologies is interesting.. I'm hoping that they've just been reclassified, rather than removed from the game itself. Having more available techs tends to be more enjoyable (at least from my perspective.) Rather than having less. makes focused gameplay more enjoyable.

Honestly though I thought a technologies update had a hope for a few more techs, lawls. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Glad to see that the Open Beta worked well!

"Removed" breakthrough technologies is interesting.. I'm hoping that they've just been reclassified, rather than removed from the game itself. Having more available techs tends to be more enjoyable (at least from my perspective.) Rather than having less. makes focused gameplay more enjoyable.

Honestly though I thought a technologies update had a hope for a few more techs, lawls. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong?
Breakthrough Technologies didn't give any benefit themselves. They just permitted research into the next tier, so I don't see this change as removing any content.

• 3Like
Reactions:
so many stats too read.. kinda hard too understand what difference is now compared to the old 1X research and unity slider vs now basic and vs new slider??? ... could we have a simpler comparison so i know what to put the new slider too compared to old research slider?? ... i used to use 2x research

Reactions:
Seems like a great solution to different difficulties, probably second to also pairing it slightly to galaxy size as well as difficulty but still a great choice.

Very happy to see Breakthrough technologies removed is the only feedback I will add.

Looking forward to see what the team has in store for us in 2024. Still praying for Dinosaur species DLC though ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Breakthrough Technologies didn't give any benefit themselves. They just permitted research into the next tier, so I don't see this change as removing any content.
To be honest, I kind of liked Breakthrough Technologies as a sort of gateway between tiers; it emphasized technology tiers as a gameplay mechanic, and allowed you to stall progression into the next tier if there was a lower-tier technology you wanted to get first.

I'd be in favor of keeping them, and just significantly reducing their costs so that you don't have to wait ~100 months to research them.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I understand there is a huge focus on the tech changes in 3.11 but i have also heard that 3.11 will focus heavily on bug fixes and thats something i would like to address.

I have been reporting bugs on the forums for more than 4 years and a recurring problem i have noticed is that a lot of bugs slip through the cracks. One example of this is how Crisis factions can disengage/emergency FTL even though they are not supposed to and this breaks several key crisis events as they are all written with the assumption that crisis ships cannot disengage/emergency FTL. I reported this more than 2 years ago and it is still not fixed, and it does not appear to have been logged internally by PDX either : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-not-supposed-to-especially-the-khan.1470895/

I understand that bug reports fall through the cracks sometimes, but as it stands, we have no way of bringing them to PDX's attention when it happens and it is problematic when there are serious bugs that break a lot of things in the game years after they were reported.

I would like to ask if there is any way we can get some kind of system that will allow us to better bring outstanding issues to the QA team's attention, or whoever is in charge of stuff like this. Less falling through the cracks, more bugs logged and fixed. I think this would greatly improve things.

Last edited:
  • 26Like
Reactions:
Will we maintain the ability to make breakthrough techs? I think its a good idea to keep in the game overall
Glad to see the changes and removal of player-disruptive things like the research upkeeps, and the capacity to alter tech costs dynamically, for sure it will be a nice addition to the gameplay ^^

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's nice to see you giving everyone the opportunity to transition to Biofuels.

On that note, perhaps we could retheme Capacity Subsidies around this idea as well? I think the current edict is kind of boring, as it stands now.
More diversity in resourse generation is certainly welcome even more if it had one per tier
To be honest, I kind of liked Breakthrough Technologies as a sort of gateway between tiers; it emphasized technology tiers as a gameplay mechanic, and allowed you to stall progression into the next tier if there was a lower-tier technology you wanted to get first.

I'd be in favor of keeping them, and just significantly reducing their costs so that you don't have to wait ~100 months to research them.
Agree a bit but it would be insteresting if they gave a temporary bonus to the empire like a 100% research speed for 10 years and ship upkeep reduced all the buffs depending on your empire type

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great job! As long as players are given free choice to play increased tech cost or not, The controversy will be resolved.
But,
Decreased research output seems untouched. Most players agree: 3.8 and later council make the research speed too high, Should be balanced. No one disagree to council nerf, but about the researchers, It have been made too weak, With increased empire size effect, upkeep and decreased output.
Nerfs to researchers should be revoked when turning off difficulty adjusted cost is selected. If not, In late game, No matter how to increase the number of researchers (Except spamming scholariums, I suppose it's disenougred by devs?), Repeatables can't be effectively researched due to increased empire size penalties.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I believe the galaxy generation UI is getting a bit cluttered. Maybe the team could take a look at the UI to simplify/streamline it ? I imagine as a new player it might be overwhelming, and it doesn't seem very scalable.

• 5Like
Reactions:
so many stats too read.. kinda hard too understand what difference is now compared to the old 1X research and unity slider vs now basic and vs new slider??? ... could we have a simpler comparison so i know what to put the new slider too compared to old research slider?? ... i used to use 2x research
Disable Difficulty Adjusted Technology Costs to get the same costs as the current live version (3.10.4). That's the simplest way to get 2x research on the old value.

If you actually want a tech curve that increases on higher tiers but also more expensive tech, leave it on, but it also now depends on what difficulty you play on. You want that first table (captioned "TierXCost1 technologies at different difficulties, on “Normal” scaling (q=0.05)."). The Civilian row at the top of the table is identical to 3.10.4 costs with no curve, so find the row matching your difficulty level and adjust the Tech Cost slider (formerly Tradition and Tech Cost slider) appropriately.

They sound removed with the explanation that the breakthrough system would need more polishing than they're willing to invest.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Any plans to keep the feature of breakthrough techs of getting cheaper the more empires have the tech and apply it to all techs? I liked that part and similar mechanics in eu4 or Vicky. Could be the same as the breakthrough techs before the more empires have a tech the cheaper or a resolution in the galcom. Something espionage related like in eu4 could also work.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I am so confused. Isn't breakthrough tech's purpose and research upkeep were to be a catch-up mechanic, so that research-focused empires wouldn't get too far (as easily), and "backward" empires would have an easier time catching up via spending their resources on other stuff (economy, military especially)? It provided a good reason *not* to rush tech in every game and promoted variety. I'm very disappointed seeing basically reverting all of that in favor of Tech Cost slider 2.0

• 4Like
Reactions:
I understand there is a huge focus on the tech changes in 3.11 but i have also heard that 3.11 will focus heavily on bug fixes and thats something i would like to address.

I have been reporting bugs on the forums for more than 4 years and a recurring problem i have noticed is that a lot of bugs slip through the cracks. One example of this is how Crisis factions can disengage/emergency FTL even though they are not supposed to and this breaks several key crisis events as they are all written with the assumption that crisis ships cannot disengage/emergency FTL. I reported this more than 2 years ago and it is still not fixed, and it does not appear to have been logged internally by PDX either : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-not-supposed-to-especially-the-khan.1470895/

I understand that bug reports fall through the cracks sometimes, but as it stands, we have no way of bringing them to PDX's attention when it happens and it is problematic when there are serious bugs that break a lot of things in the game years after they were reported.
Yeah, my anecdotal experience watching the forums and reporting bugs for four years now and seeing what bugs get fixed or what bugs get a "I've never heard of that before" response from the devs is if you want the bug to get attention, it needs to be posted within the first month of a major patch. Ideally in the first couple of weeks as that's when the QA team is looking for new issues at the release. A bug report posted now would most likely get ignored as their team is focused on 3.11.

Bonus points if you post it right before the start of the day in Europe. Bugs posted after the Europe business day or on weekends have a much lower rate of getting noticed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
any chance of having some techs removed that are really quite useless these days ???
- survey techs = edict/agenda already has a bonus here too.. we need to slow down exploration much more..
- colony techs = the speed bonus isnt that useful and often isnt worth it by time u research it anyway
- habitability techs = often u get 100% through other means like clinics etc..
- more research speed techs mostly on physics 10% i think are left = like the 20% techs

also any chance slowing down survey and archeo/rift speeds ?? ... exploration and science ship actions are still too fast and run out by mid game a lot
- add nebula research actions
- add some neutral unclaimable systems
- deep in nebula as 1
- tiyanki/ wildlife breeding grounds
- black hole systems

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hmm, I'll save my full thoughts for a playthrough on the new patch. My initial thoughts are disappointment. Increased researcher upkeep made for a more interesting interplay between unity and science and we already have a lot of sliders. One more adds to the problem of overwhelming new players while leaving it to other players to figure out for themselves how to balance the game.

I also think it's a shame that only some techs have had their tier moved. This feels like a perfect time to test moving technologies like penal/thrawl/resort world to earlier in the game.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Agree a bit but it would be insteresting if they gave a temporary bonus to the empire like a 100% research speed for 10 years and ship upkeep reduced all the buffs depending on your empire type

We would likely have avoided unity or tech related benefits as breakthrough technology rewards had we kept them. Their primary purpose was to put roadblocks between tech tiers and slow down the frontrunners, providing them a (timed) tech boost would have been counterproductive. (Regarding Unity, we've moved towards a design philosophy where technology should rarely provide unity bonuses.)

Decreased research output seems untouched.

Yes, research output remains reduced so there is less disparity between unity producing and research producing jobs.

I believe the galaxy generation UI is getting a bit cluttered. Maybe the team could take a look at the UI to simplify/streamline it ? I imagine as a new player it might be overwhelming, and it doesn't seem very scalable.

I'm looking at ways to improve the settings panel. We'll most likely end up moving some of the setting behind an Advanced Settings toggle, and look for ways to streamline what remains to be more useful.

Disable Difficulty Adjusted Technology Costs to get the same costs as the current live version (3.10.4). That's the simplest way to get 2x research on the old value.

Since research output remains reduced, you may need to adjust the Tech Cost slider to taste. Players that previously played on 2x Tech Costs might find the Difficulty Adjusted Tech Costs slider to be more to their liking, as it skews the increased costs towards higher tiers.

They sound removed with the explanation that the breakthrough system would need more polishing than they're willing to invest.

Largely, yes. We considered a different implementation that would work around the performance implications of the current variant, but we (and the community) didn't find the feel of the breakthrough techs to be good as-is. I can think of some variants that might prove satisfactory, but I feel that dedicating Custodian resources towards some other tasks is more valuable overall.

Any plans to keep the feature of breakthrough techs of getting cheaper the more empires have the tech and apply it to all techs? I liked that part and similar mechanics in eu4 or Vicky. Could be the same as the breakthrough techs before the more empires have a tech the cheaper or a resolution in the galcom. Something espionage related like in eu4 could also work.

It's possible that similar mechanics may return in future experiments.

I am so confused. Isn't breakthrough tech's purpose and research upkeep were to be a catch-up mechanic, so that research-focused empires wouldn't get too far (as easily), and "backward" empires would have an easier time catching up via spending their resources on other stuff (economy, military especially)? It provided a good reason *not* to rush tech in every game and promoted variety. I'm very disappointed seeing basically reverting all of that in favor of Tech Cost slider 2.0

Research output remains reduced and empire size still has greater effect, making it more costly to tech rush in the same way as the 3.10.4 world. The space between tiers is also greater than before (at least, on default values), especially at higher difficulties. We'll re-evaluate things again after this beta release.

Hmm, I'll save my full thoughts for a playthrough on the new patch. My initial thoughts are disappointment. Increased researcher upkeep made for a more interesting interplay between unity and science and we already have a lot of sliders. One more adds to the problem of overwhelming new players while leaving it to other players to figure out for themselves how to balance the game.

I also think it's a shame that only some techs have had their tier moved. This feels like a perfect time to test moving technologies like penal/thrawl/resort world to earlier in the game.

Once you have a playthrough, let us know in the feedback form. It's quite possible that we've swung the pendulum too far in the other direction for this release.

• 20Like
Reactions: