• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #326 - 3.10.4 "Pyxis" Released [e9b6] + Upcoming Holiday Tech Beta

Hello everyone!

The 3.10.4 "Pyxis" update has been released today. Of particular interest in this week’s update are a fix that lets AI be more willing to recruit Scientists for exploration, a fix to certain modifiers doubling up, and some adjustments to negative leader traits.

Balance
  • Significantly reduced the yearly chance for leaders to gain negative traits.
  • Due to player feedback, the Micromanager negative trait for Commanders now increases fleet upkeep instead of reducing command limit.
  • The Lethargic negative trait for Commanders now also reduces fleet upkeep.
  • The Nervous negative trait for Commanders now also increases disengagement chance.
  • Having the Antagonistic Diplomatic Stance will now appease your factions asking for you to have a Strong Diplomatic Stance.
Bugfixes
  • Added some failsafes to generate council positions and gestalt nodes in various edge cases where they weren't created or disappeared
  • Clarified reformed tooltip for Dark Consortium civics
  • Declining to Hunt for the Hyacinth should now correctly remove the event chain.
  • Fix Astral Harvesting not available for heavily conquering empires
  • Fixed a typo in the pre-FTL Provide Technology Tooltip.
  • Fixed Civics not swapping to their alternative when switching Governments
  • Fixed missing loc for the Fear of the Dark Admiral trait
  • Fixed the Accelerated Time Astral Planes Modifier having a description for a title.
  • Removed a redundant tooltip from the Synthetic Evolution event
  • Ruler clothing selection in the empire designer is now respected
  • Some planet modifiers that were getting incorrectly applied twice should now only be applied once.
  • Updated the All Crisis Strength tooltip to accurately state that it doubles the strength of each subsequent crisis.
  • Your ice miners will no longer make your Mercenaries homeless if they happened to have built their base above an ice asteroid.
AI
  • AI Empires will now be more willing to hire leaders for their science ships as long as they believe they can afford the Unity upkeep.
  • UI
  • Fixed XP not being shown in XP bar tooltip for gestalt rulers and councilors.
Modding
  • collapsable_leader_container should now calculate the correct height no matter the amount of horizontal slots.
  • Fixed lock_country scope change incorrectly stating that the output scope was a bypass, when it is actually a country

Barring unexpected developments, we consider the 3.10 “Pyxis” release stable at this point, and the 3.11 “Eridanus” update is the next expected release - currently planned for 2024Q1. As mentioned in an earlier dev diary, 3.11 “Eridanus” will be focused primarily on general bugfixing and stability.

Technology Open Beta

We’ll be putting a Technology Open Beta up tomorrow to gather feedback and data on some possible changes to research. While some changes planned for 3.11 “Eridanus” have snuck into this release (like some improvements to Galactic Doorstep), the overall technology rebalance is considered experimental and may or may not end up being released. It is likely to undergo some changes if it does go live.

The Technology Open Beta will run from December 15th through January 15th. We’ll post a feedback form tomorrow to help gather your impressions and thoughts.

Features
  • Replaced basic research technologies such as Quantum Theory with Breakthrough Technologies. Breakthrough Technologies will only appear once you have researched enough techs of your current tier and are required to research to reach the next tier.
  • Breakthrough Technologies become easier to research based on the number of other empires you have low Tech intel on that have already researched them.
  • Enigmatic Engineering blocks your Breakthrough Technologies from spreading.
  • Events that give progress towards random technologies can grant progress towards Breakthrough Technologies, but will not give as much as they would a regular technology.
Improvements
  • Technology and Tradition costs are now distinct sliders in galaxy setup.
  • Added notification message when new pop settles in zeya (Gaia planet in azilash)
Balance
  • Adjustments made to the Galactic Doorstep origin:
    • Added Gateway Cost and Megastructure Build Speed modifiers to the Galactic Doorstep origin.
    • Galactic Doorstep event chain now directly rewards the Gateway Activation technology and gives far more progress on the Gateway Construction technology
  • Increased the effects of Empire Size on Technology to match its effect on Traditions.
  • Rebalanced research speed modifiers. Most sources of Research Speed now have a corresponding increase in Researcher job upkeep
  • Removed or adjusted many sources of Ship Cost and Upkeep reductions from the game.
  • Military Buildup Agenda now improves ship build speed and reduces claim costs. (It still reduces War Exhaustion on completion.)
  • Naval Procurement Officer councilor now improves ship build speed.
  • Crusader Spirit civic now improves ship build speed.
  • Psionic Supremacy (Eater of Worlds) finisher no longer reduces ship build costs.
  • Vyctor's Improved Fleet Logistics trait now reduces ship build costs by 10% instead of 20%.
  • Progress Oriented modifier no longer reduces ship build costs.
  • Match tradition in the Enmity tree bonus to ship build costs reduced to 5% instead of 10%.
  • Master Shipwrights tradition in the Supremacy tree no longer reduces ship build costs.
  • Military Pioneer trait now reduces starbase upgrade costs instead of ship build costs.
  • Shipwright trait no longer reduces ship build costs.
  • Reduced penalty the Irenic trait applies to ship build costs.
  • Sanctum of the Eater ship upkeep reduction reduced from 10% to 5%.
  • Mark of the Instrument ship component no longer reduces ship upkeep.
  • Grand Fleet ambition now increases power projection instead of reducing ship upkeep.
  • Fleet Supremacy edict no longer reduces ship upkeep.
  • Letters of Marque now reduces ship upkeep by 5% instead of 10%.
  • Bulwark ship upkeep reductions reduced by 50%.
  • Logistic Understanding, Armada Logistician, and Gunboat Diplomat traits now reduces ship upkeep while docked.
  • Increased technology costs, especially those of higher tier technologies.
  • The Technology curve has been changed from 1000 × 2^n to 500 × (2^n + 3^n), making the difference between an early and late-game tech more distinct.
  • Reduced output of researcher jobs
  • Researchers and their gestalt equivalents now produce 3 of each research instead of 4
  • Head Researchers now produce 4 of each research instead of 6
  • The effectiveness of Ministry of Science has been halved
  • Astral Researchers now produce 5 physics and 1 of each other research instead of 5 physics and 2 of the other researches.
  • Knights of the Toxic God balancing:
    • Slightly reduced the research output for Knight and Lord Commander jobs
    • Refactored how the output scaling for Knights from Squires functions, these now behave as normal additive modifiers instead of multiplicative modifiers
    • Knights now correctly inherit production modifiers from researchers and administrators
    • Slightly reduced the unity and research output for Knight and Lord Commander jobs
    • Knight output modifiers now only apply to resources, like other job output modifiers
    • The Fortress Habitat Designation for Knights no longer provides +1 Defensive Army per pop on the habitat, instead each Squire job provides +1 Defensive Army
    • Squires now increase the resource output of Knights by 2.5% not 2% per Squire.
    • The Luminous Blades modifier from the Knight's Quest now removes the alloy upkeep of knights and gives +25% Army damage instead of an empire-wide +1.5% alloy production modifier per knight
  • Delegate GalCom focus traits now have a small chance to give favors.
  • Reworked and rebalanced the Erudite, Cyborg, Synthetic, Psionic, Chosen One, and Chosen of X traits to include new leader assignments.
1.png

2.png

Bugfix
  • Repairing The Black Crown should no longer fire generic gateway repaired events.
Modding
  • Added `last_resolution_category_changed` trigger

Meet the Devs Video

Game Systems Designer @Gruntsatwork did a video interview about what it’s like to work on the Custodian and Crisis teams.

No, you can’t implement trash. - E

Next Week

The nights are getting cold and long, so for the last dev diary of the year it’s time for a look at the year in review.

See you then!

Last edited:
  • 43Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Sweet, I'm looking forward to trying out the beta. The changes to galactic doorstep are a welcome surprise too. It's a cool idea for an origin as it implies you'll be able to spread pockets of your empire throughout the galaxy, but that rarely works out as by the time you get the Black Crown operational it usually leads right into someone else's territory.

Reactions:
The more I look at the tech changes, the more I think a sledgehammer was brought instead of a scalpel. We're talking 100% reduction if my match is right coupled with up to a 500% increase in costs. Not sure I'm in love with that math. I guess we'll see.

Reactions:
going to test to see how much of a nerf u have made to knights. i hope its not too bad because, nowadays, the first 60-70 years they fall behind a lot compared to other origins hopefully the over all change to tech makes it not as bad but we will see ( on the topic of knights can we make it so slaves can be squires ?)

Reactions:
going to test to see how much of a nerf u have made to knights. i hope its not too bad because, nowadays, the first 60-70 years they fall behind a lot compared to other origins hopefully the over all change to tech makes it not as bad but we will see ( on the topic of knights can we make it so slaves can be squires ?)
To be fair, it is supposed to be a harder start

As long as you aren't handicapped to the point of dying in 10 out of 10 games it should be fine

Reactions:
Loaded up the patch. Started a new game with exalted priesthood/vaults of knowledge civics. Immediate reaction: The 3.10 "leaders offered traits they already have" bug reported by me and many others is still present.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you for your efforts this year, but is the issue of crashing when using new DLC content online still unresolved? It's really uncomfortable to have to endure multiple player crashes in a 50 year game now.

Reactions:
if chosen are immortal then why have a leader lifespan trait at all? and not have immortal on them?
The Chosen of the Composer's ruler trait's Leader Lifespan and Leader XP bonuses apply to all leaders.

It is one of the reasons that the Composer of Strands is my favourite Shroud Patron since the Shroud rework.

EDIT: I also like the rest of the Composer's bonuses, as between Composer's chosen ruler, sanctum, and the covenant bonuses you get a very strong package, and the downsides aren't too punishing, so long as you plan for them:
  1. Either living life dangerously OR needing spare council-specced leaders in case one of them dies to rare random leader death event (15 years MTTH, 15% chance each event, targets random leader with the psionic trait; All else being equal, assume that you lose about one leader per century, though of course some times you get unlucky and lose more - or lucky and lose none in hundreds of years). Note that both the Chosen of the Composer and Chosen One traits make a leader immune to the random death event (by substituting for the psionic trait); Were this not the case, I would not be so sanguine about it
  2. Needing to complete essential gene-modding before reaching tier 3 Covenant progression, where you become restricted to 3 total trait picks

That said, I perfectly understand people who prefer to play Instrument of Desire, as even though the Instrument isn't that great if you aren't playing a trade build, at least it is easy to handle and you don't risk leaders. So it is a great choice for trade builds, newbies, and the risk averse.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
"Under One Rule" origin has several final decisions that depend on ascension . And it depends on your technology.

There is a point - this chain of events does not scale depending on the PRICE of technology and traditions, which is set up before the creation of the galaxy.

That is, two exaggerated examples

1) the technology price setting is small - by the end of the event chain I could already complete the ascension line 100 times

2) I decided to play with a higher price of technology - the time of the origin chain of events did not change and I did not have time to make an ascension due to the inconsistency of these 2 moments.

Question: will developers, when working with technologies and traditions, pay attention to this in order to make a correspondence and connect these two points?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Initially, I was a bit unsure when I read that Galactic Doorstep would be changed as I already really liked this Origin the way it was.
But these changes seem both fitting and good for it, I'm glad Galactic Doorstep hasn't been forgotten. ❤️

Overall, this Dev Diary and the planned changes to technology seem very nice as well.

Reactions:
I can't way to play the new tech beta but I can't help but think that they've tweaked it excessively.

- Base Output of research is reduced by 25% (with seemingly no way to increase it except for the already present Vultaum precursor building)

- A lot of percentage modifiers are coupled with an increase to upkeep (the economy will already be less developed compared to previously because research will be slower), granted we have no idea how much upkeep will increase. This however might make ascending a research world more compelling.

- The technology curve massively increases the cost of late game techs

- Empire size will also have a larger impact on tech cost (ANOTHER INCREASE)

- Gateway techs ensure the pace will be slower by removing the easily accessible 20% boost techs [Love this idea]

But I guess that's what this beta is for. Maybe they overnerfed it on purpose :D

Reactions: