• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #236 - Happy Holidays and thanks for all the fish!

Read in Russian on VK/Доступно на русском в ВК

Hello everyone!

We aren’t quite ready to show the things we are working on currently, but from the beginning of January we’ll be back with more dev diaries to talk about things like the Unity rework or the new Situations system. For now, we’ll be taking a hiatus until January 13th.

We want to instead take this opportunity to celebrate the year that’s gone by and thank you all in the community for your continued support.

Looking back at the year:
  • We released Nemesis and the 3.0 ‘Dick’ Update, after Philip K Dick, which added the Intel system and Espionage Operations, among other things
  • We released a number of updates to 3.0 with bug fixes and improvements following your valuable feedback
  • We onboarded many new members to our team, which let us provide you with even more Stellaris updates
  • We announced the Custodian Initiative and released the first Custodian patch with the 3.1 ‘Lem’ Update (Stansilaw Lem) which features a lot of great improvements and new features
  • We “buffed the backlog” for older DLC by adding new content to the Plantoids- and Humanoids Species Packs.
  • We released 3.2 ‘Herbert’ Update (after Frank Herbert) and the Aquatics Species Pack, which is the best-selling and best-reviewed species pack of all time (by a great margin). Most importantly, we added swolephins.

I am incredibly happy about what we’ve achieved this year, and with our great team we should be able to keep making Stellaris better than ever before.

For next year I hope we can keep working together with you, the community, and release more great updates to Stellaris. I’m very excited, and I hope you are as well.

Here’s some pictures gathered during the development this year:

1639058671855.png

Hmm. What happens if you try to add weapons to a Tiyanki? Oh…

1639058689080.png

Assets wouldn’t randomize their appearance during early development. Clone spies?

1639058706446.png

Working on pathfinding can be… interesting at times.

1639058724782.png

QA testing bugs relating to Mechanist Origin + Agrarian Idyll Civic.

1639058757481.png

General pandemic mood.

1639058795880.png

1639058866614.png

Early Here Be Dragons work can lead to unexpected heroism.

And as a little bit of a gift, here’s some teaser images from things in development:

1639058894790.png

1639058903976.png

-----
Thanks for this year! We will be back with our next dev diary on January 13th, and until then we wish you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 111Like
  • 32Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Not as a bug report but I totally get that pathfinding pain, but very solid work has clearly been done - I've had fleets take gateways to L-gates because it's just a bit faster than doing one jump from where they are in the system.

Last edited:
Happy holiday.
And Edict funds? Damn that sounds interesting

• 5Like
Reactions:
Enjoy your time off! Really looking forward to the unity rework. I fervently hope empires, particularly large ones that have conquered territory and pops, become more dynamic and harder to manage. It shouldn't be so easy to hold together a vast empire against revolutions, secessions and civil war. These kind of mechanics would offer a good and immersive counterbalance to the meta of Moar Pops.

• 8Like
Reactions:
So the admin cap change is going through then.

There's a typo: Stansilaw Lem -> Stanisław Lem. Literally unreadable!

Seriously, though: thanks for all the excellent work you put into Stellaris! It's one of my most-played games of all time.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Happy holidays!
Ooh, time for speculation. Edicts fund? Is that the new capacity? Where different edicts have a different amount of funds they take up?
I wonder how this will work with hive minds, since their unity/admin job was already combined in a way, was that the inspiration?
Since these jobs are now for Administration, what happens to culture workers? Will we be getting more ethics/gameplay themed jobs like Priests and Duelists?

Also, I'd like to reiterate an idea about leaders that would make their related traits/civics/perk more beneficial. Rather than adding +2 cap to Rulers (or other leaders depending on the civic or whatever), rulers start at level 3. This immediately boosts their bonuses, and gives a greater chance to get to max level, and be at that state for a long time. Some choices, like traditions, can keep the +1/2 leader levels, but the trait, other civics, and the ascension perk could bring your new leaders up multiple levels. Buying new leaders could be similarly more expensive, but you could get level 4 or 5 leaders right off the bat by late game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Since these jobs are now for Administration, what happens to culture workers?
Didn't they say in the very early discussion that they were going to scrap the Culture Workers (fluff-wise), and shuffle the crunch around a bit?

OMG, those edict and unity reworks looks promising!!! I am pround of this game, that let our imagination runs wild! Great job devs, you and the modders makes this game have a giant soul, something that many games dont have!