• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #203: VFX in Nemesis

Hey folks!

My name is Erik Forsström and I’m the VFX Artist for Stellaris and I’ve been here since the release of Lithoids. VFX stands for visual effects, which means that I’m the guy who’s responsible for anything from small ship engine effects, to big system effects such as the nebulas that we added to the game last year. If it’s animated and it’s not a 3D model, then there’s a fairly high chance that a vfx artist is responsible for it.

What does a VFX Artist do?

My workflow is a bit different compared to the other artists, because compared to 3D Artists I’m not working as much with 3D models.The main tool for me to use is particles, which pretty much is just flat planes that I work with to make cool explosions! I won't go into the technical details about particles, but just to give you a quick idea about the difference between us VFX Artists and others. While 3D Artists are sculpting and creating cool 3D models, I’m pretty much simulating planes and telling them which direction to travel and changing the size and color over time. That’s not to say I never do 3D modelling, but as I mentioned before it’s not my main tool as you’ll notice in what we’ll be showcasing below.

The cool and interesting stuff!

So with that explained, time to get to the effects that we’ll be adding in Nemesis!
If we’re starting off with the ships in Stellaris, something that I’ve aimed to do is to give the different shipsets a bit more unique feeling when it comes to the effects. Some of you might have noticed that both Lithoids & Necroids have some unique ship effects, anything from ship engines to explosions. I’ve tried to make them all look at least slightly different to each other to varying degrees and to make them fit the style of the ships.
I usually try to give them some different shapes, color schemes or anything cool that I can come up with that makes it look unique and fit the style.

Nemesis titan with new effects for the perdition beam and the engines

The big effects, in other words the system effects!

Another thing that you might have noticed is that we’ve added quite a few different system effects over the last year, such as the nebulas, space storms and the endgame crisis system effects when they’re expanding their territories. It was one of those things that I always felt that was missing while playing Stellaris, the systems felt a bit empty. With Nemesis we’ve added a few new system effects, such as for the Aetherophasic Engine Frame that we mentioned in an earlier dev diary.
When you’re upgrading it you’ll get a system effect that changes through the different stages, getting bigger and more powerful the higher the stage you’ll get. To really show it off I'm cheating a bit in the video below (by using max resources and finishing the construction instantly), and I’ll let you see how it changes and develops through the different stages.
From a fairly small effect, to a huge effect covering the system with more detail, shapes and movement in it to really give you the feeling that something powerful is going to happen in this system.

How is it made?

System effects are one of those effects that most of the time are made with a mix of particles and 3D models, the sheer size of them requires more complex shapes then what you can get with only particles. So the effect below is created with the help of these meshes that you can see in the image below, and then I’ll apply some animated shaders on them that creates the movement of the textures that you can see in the video. Add on top of that some particles and you get a complete effect!

E1ZGAn-d9aYa_HDx7toa9sgY6cNsAMPXXyBYxoYIlgLjSDiIbnQqw5V5ZLge5UWyNVxd8biiPC5ZE2L9Xo5ULUFIeZQb-Q2QBsKnhmkdAFfAJRPfLYUyLK2zmnnpLu1Q9NP1Knt-

The meshes used for the visual effects for the Aetherophasic Engine

Aetherophasic Engine Frame going through the different upgrade stages

Destroying a star

And finally the highlight for me in Nemesis! Blowing up the stars!
It’s made of a few different parts, the chargeup that rely mostly on the animation of the Star Eater with some glow in the middle of it. And then comes the firing stage, which is a pretty big effect. As you can see it goes through different stages in strength, that helps with creating more of a buildup until the big explosion.
At first while prototyping it was at full power at once, which looked cool but it didn’t create the anticipation for the explosion. You “only” ended up looking at a cool effect for ~20s without any buildup or knowing how close it’s to firing, if you were only looking at the visuals.
So in the end we ended up splitting up the effect in different stages, and added or tweaked parts of it to make it really feel like you’re getting closer to blowing up a star.

And last but not least, the star explosion. I’ll keep this short because I think the explosion pretty much speaks for itself. But I just want to say that this is probably one, if not my favorite effect I’ve done so far in this game.
So I really hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do!

The death of a star!

And that was all from me! Hopefully it gave you some insight of what I do, and how I do some of the things. Thanks for reading!

Next week a content designer is going to write about script improvements that’s coming in the next update!

• 103Like
  • 82Love
Reactions:
jupiter's core is, as I understand it, believed by astronomers to be chiefly made of the gloriously exotic phase of matter called "liquid metallic hydrogen".

which will boil off quite nicely thank you if the system primary explodes and strips the rest of the planet away
There should be some rocky stuff underneath all that - it's the densest, so it'll sink. There's just a lot more hydrogen.

Reactions:
jupiter's core is, as I understand it, believed by astronomers to be chiefly made of the gloriously exotic phase of matter called "liquid metallic hydrogen".

which will boil off quite nicely thank you if the system primary explodes and strips the rest of the planet away
Even though the heavy-element core of Jupiter makes up a tiny amount of its total mass, it's still estimated to be dozens of times more massive than Earth. Anything powerful enough to blow away a gas giant completely, would do the same to an Earth-like planet.

Reactions:
Given that the planets in extant black hole systems are disproportionately likely to be broken ones already, I wonder if there will be any anomalies or dig sites that reference a system being destroyed by a star eater or in a similar fashion in the past.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Is there any stellaris lore reason to believe it should?
There had been some hints that such a destruction migh have some repercussions on the hyperlane system

I would imagine the destruction turns the sun and the planets into black holes, meaning the system would stay and so would the hyperlanes?
Yep but as mentioned above I think there had been hints.
Plus I'd like to see some sort of technology, events, what not that might affect the Hyperlane network.
Some routes only accessible with Hyperlane drive level 3 or something like that.

Reactions:
Wohoo the effects are just AMAZING !!! great work here and i know it is not finish yet , this DLC will ROCKS and modders will have for long long time modding

Reactions:
I do think something needs to be done about engine trails and turret placement being non-sensical but other than that I have no qualms with the VFX of the game. (Turret placement is probably ship designers anyways.)

I love the star explosions! This was a fun dev diary though I'm not sure about a cube being a star eater... oh well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I quite like these "let's have a look under the hood" Dev Diaries. I am really stoked to see the Aetherophasic Engine's fully operational animation and VFXs... also, good job on the nebulas.

Knowledge should be shared.
"Knowledge is power, guard it well." - a kleptomaniac Space Marine chapter

Now that I have grabbed your attention, I can selfishly ask a more-or-less off-topic question: Will there be a chance we could get a (Home Office based, of course) Dev' Clash with Nemesis ?
I absolutely enjoyed the MegaCorp one and thought it was quite a bit of a missed opportunity to not have one with Federations.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I kind of expected the star destroying ship to be sacrificed in the destruction. After all, the explosion is enough to destroy all worlds.

Reactions:
I kind of expected the star destroying ship to be sacrificed in the destruction. After all, the explosion is enough to destroy all worlds.
I'd prefer if the weapon triggered a chain reaction within the star, setting off a countdown where EVERYTHING in the system needs to get the hell out of dodge.

...and then they could add a Superman-inspired event chain, where an enemy Empire of the one that caused the destruction gets a crazy powerful Leader that can be used once he/she grows up.

• 3Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
"the shroud"

hm.... that... is acutally a very important piece of info, especially for gestalts, or anything that doesnt do psionics and raises a lot of questions for those

I am so tickled at the idea that there are people out there in the world absolutely livid at the idea of visibile lasers in sci-fi.

God bless their little physicist hearts.

• 9Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
First of all, Stellaris it is a fantasy game. SF requires you to implement science, hence the name.

Besides that: Somewhat. Many of the names given out in Stellaris are set to sound scientific. If the devs would just call their fantasy stuff "fairy dust", I wouldn't be annoyed so much, but the pseudo-scientific naming is obnoxious.

On the other hand, I really enjoy the game design. That is why I continue to play the game, even tho it contains no immersion to me.
No. Hard SF requires you to implement science. There’s a hardness scale for a reason; different forms of SF do this to varying degrees. Some try very hard to stick to real science, others don’t.

Other than that, the difference between SF and fantasy is the framing of elements that don’t work in real life. There’s a lot less technobabble in traditional fantasy stories, for example. That isn’t to say they can’t occasionally overlap – Stellaris itself is a case one could argue is an example of such with relative ease – but the distinction isn’t adherence to realism, per se.

EDIT: On the issue of visible lasers specifically; this can often be chalked up to an acceptable break from reality, even in SF settings on the harder end of the scale. People like to see where their weapons are shooting, even in cases where that makes no sense in real life, and laser weapons are no different in that regard. In more passive mediums like movies and TV, they like a light show, and it also helps the viewer see where lasers are being fired, or if they’re being fired at all.

This is much less necessary in mediums such as novels or board games where you normally don’t get to see these weapons at work aside from what the author or GM tells you happens, but still crops up occasionally, for better or worse. I’m actually reading BattleTech Legends: Decision at Thunder Rift right now; at least initially, the lasers so prevalent in the setting were invisible in the first few chapters.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I am so tickled at the idea that there are people out there in the world absolutely livid at the idea of visibile lasers in sci-fi.

God bless their little physicist hearts.

They're probably not an actual physicist, most people with jobs in something, while sometimes exasperated at what media does to things in their profession, aren't actually obsessed enough to go screaming on an internet forum.

Even those who might be that obsessed are usually self-aware enough to separate "It's a game" from "reality" or "full on simulator"

All of this just reminds me of a self-proclaimed scientist on another forum who threw a massive fit over people using the term magic to refer to magic as it's treated in a game instead of magic as superstition and pretty much had a breakdown over "Magic can't be a thing!!!!"

My point with that last bit is that it later turned out that it was a teenager claiming to be a scientist. That kind of thing is more common than you'd think, on the internet.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have a Ph.D. in astrophysics. I'm perfectly okay with the lasers being visible, regardless of what physics say. They make the battles look more visually awesome (and thus fun), and the fun of it is the important thing in a game.

• 8Like
Reactions:
First of all, Stellaris it is a fantasy game. SF requires you to implement science, hence the name.

Besides that: Somewhat. Many of the names given out in Stellaris are set to sound scientific. If the devs would just call their fantasy stuff "fairy dust", I wouldn't be annoyed so much, but the pseudo-scientific naming is obnoxious.

On the other hand, I really enjoy the game design. That is why I continue to play the game, even tho it contains no immersion to me.
The game isn’t trying to be remotely rigorous, and it makes that clear and just runs with it. In such self-aware situations, I find it easy to be immersed. I read the names as joking in the same way all the corporate stuff is (you can’t really believe that they are serious with that either).

It’s when pop culture tries to sell me on something ‘serious’ that is waaaaay off that the physicist in me starts to mock it. Ditto for history and the amateur historian in me, some of the very “wise” comments people try to say about historical people or states ... the writers are obviously pulling these from popular myths that anyone relatively familiar with the era would roll over laughing at.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, I've got a degree in Physics and I'm perfectly happy with Sci-Fi media, especially something as a soft, as Stellaris having visible lasers. The mouse cursor on the loading screen (where it displays a solar system) violates Kepler's Laws, does it matter? Not in the slightest. :) It's a game and not an accurate simulation of of how light behaves.

Hello, fellow physics major! I never realized you were in the field. I have my bachelor's in the field and a Ph.D. in astronomy and astrophysics (as I noted a few posts ago).

On a tangent, I'm curious how you ended up at PDX from your physics background. This isn't a criticism - at all. From my time in the field, I know that many people end up using the talents developed in the field (data analysis, programming, etc.) in both related fields (like programming or data science) and more far afield areas (like the financial sector). I myself am a high school physics teacher and adjunct faculty physics/astronomy teacher, so I also eventually ended up on a different track than physics research.

• 4Like
Reactions: