• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #193: Signal Discovered

Hello everyone!

This week we are going to talk about something new that we’ve been working on - namely improving first contact and extending the exploration aspects of the game. All of this is work in progress and may not accurately represent what the game will look like once all of this work is finished. A lot of UI is very much work in progress, so don't pay too much attention to icons or such.

Background
Exploration has always been one of the best parts of Stellaris, and it is perhaps what sets us apart from other games that follow similar themes. Looking back, Stellaris has mostly revolved around the physical exploration of space, discovering an ancient galaxy full of wonders. We believe that exploring and uncovering the galaxy is such an important and fun aspect of the game that we really want to dive deeper into those experiences. We intend to take the next steps by improving the means by which you can establish communication and make the process of learning more about alien civilizations a part of the exploration gameplay.

In this dev diary we will be outlining some of the changes and additions that we are currently working on, so that you can get an idea of what to expect from our next big update.

First Contact
The first steps we are taking is that we are changing how first contact works. First contact is now a much more engaging process with interesting choices that are supported by great narrative.

When you first have an alien encounter you are able to set a policy for what your approach will be. First Contact Protocols is a policy option that lets you dictate your stance when it comes to dealing with newly discovered alien civilizations. Each option has different effects that should suit different types of diplomacy.

1606378897174.png

Friends..?

1606378920610.png
1606378948948.png
1606378963709.png

First Contact Protocol Policy options.

First Contact Investigation
In order to establish communication with the alien contact, an Envoy will need to be assigned to the First Contact Investigation. The investigation will then be able to begin, and it will run through stages and will contain events similar to an archaeological dig site. The reason why we chose a system similar to archaeology is because its a great way of letting a process run over time in a way where it can also deliver some narrative along the way. The difficulty of the first contact investigation will be affected by things like how friendly the target is, or how difficult it is to translate their signals.

Since First Contact now uses an Envoy, that also means that it no longer pauses Society Research, and it is possible to run multiple first contact investigations simultaneously as long as you have the Envoys required.

(Envoys do still currently not have traits or levels, but it is something we are actively discussing.)

1606378984315.png

1606378996597.png

The events that you can get depend on the type of empire you are, and on the type of alien you are trying to contact.

There are friendly/peaceful paths as well as ... less so.

As a xenophobic empire with an aggressive first contact protocol it is possible to secure a couple of specimen for a closer look.

1606379015279.png

1606379025538.png

1606379035301.png

The choices you make during first contact can also have long-term effects on your relationship with the alien empire. Choose wisely and decide which trade-offs you are willing to make. Are you perhaps a materialistic and xenophobic empire that values scientific progress above all?

1606379046318.png

1606380527628.png

Stay on your side of the galaxy and all can be well.

1606379071811.png

Let’s agree to disagree.

----------------

That is all for this week! Next week we’ll be showing you some new features that allow you to explore maps like the one posted here below.

1606380042523.png

• 213Like
  • 154Love
Reactions:
Looks like another excellent set of changes here! Will the contact events have the potential to shift an empire's ethics? One would think that a disastrous first contact would leave people more xenophobic, while a smooth and productive one the opposite. Would also help make the ethics system a bit more variable too.

They should really give us the ability to swap in place, though, instead of first assigning B to A's old job and then going back to B's old job and assigning A to it. It's really annoying how, if the game isn't paused, swapping a Scientist off a survey ship cancels the survey and all queued survey orders... even if you immediately assign a scientist again. Swaps would fix that.

It even already does swaps for a leader stepping down from being ruler (assuming they don't just vanish into the void).
Dear god yes, I've been asking for this for YEARS. Swapping leaders would be the single most effective UI adjustment they could make.

Reactions:
Looks amazing, really looking forward to seeing it all in action.

I hope it will be possible to intentionally slow first contact in more ways than merely being cautious:
1. First contact Policy - Aggressively Cautious. Killing any envoys on sight that try to sneak into your territory to reset their progress (different from trying to learn about the enemy with vivisections, here you're trying to deny the enemy any knowledge, but you don't actually want to learn about the aliens).
2. Mysterious pop traits - Mysterious main-species pops are harder to understand and struggle to understand others, Shapeshifters are better at first contact and can make themselves either harder or easier to understand at will
3. Indecipherable civics - An opposite to Diplomatic Corps/Empath, that hides you from enemy eyes perhaps Counter-intelligence Corps/Apathy
4. Buildings - Planet shields/Stronghold/Precinct House/Sentinel Posts could all function to reduce the ability of empires to plant spies/envoys on worlds and reduce first contact speed in some way. e.g. +1 difficulty to first contact for each of these buildings on the homeworld.
5. Starbase Modules - Communications Jammers could provide a stacking +1 penalty to first contact difficulty.
6. Traditions to slow enemy first contact - Overwhelming Force/Great Game in Supremacy. Or speed up your own - Kinship in Harmony (Diplomacy will already help with the +1 envoy).
7. Ascension Perk - Enigmatic Engineering. Probably arrives too late to be relevant in most games, but it should certainly increase the difficulty of first contact when it does apply.

In short, I like the idea of making it so difficult to understand that even by the mid game an empire is effectively still hidden to all empires and every empire that tries to initiate first contact has events related to envoys being killed by warships, caught by soldiers, communications blocked by jammers and so on. I want to be able to hide from Galactic powers or have a mysterious hidden threat with unknown capabilities, like the Earth-Romulan war being fought before ship-to-ship communications took place. You can't really have that situation if +2 difficulty just adds 3 months to first-contact time, so hopefully the difficulty value is a big deal.
This.

This works perfectly for some of my play styles, I want this.

Wow... Exploration has always been a strength of Stellaris, but this looks beautiful. I am now hyped for the game again. :)

Also, count me as a +1 for Envoys becoming full leaders with levels and traits. In my ideal world, you could also "promote" leaders of other types to envoy. A scientist would probably be good at improving relations with materialist empires, while a general would be better with militarist empires, etc.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Wow... Exploration has always been a strength of Stellaris, but this looks beautiful. I am now hyped for the game again. :)
Vluur levels of intensity? Tell me it's so!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Woo! I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. This looks really good.

On the subject of envoys, right now they are totally disposable and I don't care about them at all, which is a shame. Levels and traits could help with that, but I am open to anything that makes us remember their names.

Reactions:
Something that I'd love to see expanded on is proper first contact wars. Currently, even as a genocidal, you can't take/destroy outposts (you drop them to 1 HP, but then they just repair for the owner) or even invade planets before first contact has been made. Why do I need to know what type of Xeno it is before I purge them? Ideally I'd like to see Genocidals able to declare wars and Despoilers able to raid pre-contact.

Is there a reason that cautious gives a penalty to other people deciphering your language, but aggressive doesn't? Shouldn't being willing to shoot down any ship spotted make it much more difficult to figure out what's going on?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Woo! I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. This looks really good.

On the subject of envoys, right now they are totally disposable and I don't care about them at all, which is a shame. Levels and traits could help with that, but I am open to anything that makes us remember their names.
To be honest, I don't remember the names of my governors, scientists, admirals or generals... So I doubt I will for envoys. I only care about dem levels and traits. Is this truly different for you?

Reactions:
By the Shroud, this looks fantastic. I'm excited to see how this pans out in the future. Please give us envoy traits and levels. The potential for events and other modding shenanigans is endless!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will any of the changes from this or the last few dev diaries come before the next expansion?

It's still too early to tell. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
This, on the other hand, is just ugly and annoying. I'm not sure if there's an easy solution.
I have one solution to stop some players feeling the need to swap leaders out just before a tech completes to increase the chance of drawing techs you do want in a different category (I'm glad I don't feel compelled to do so, that sounds extremely annoying).

Separate 'bonus tech speed given by leader traits' from 'bonus tech weighting given by leader traits'.

Instead pick a focus for each tech category, e.g. psionics focus gives x8 weighting to Psionic Theory (the same as a psionic leader).
Focus option available are determined by available leader traits in the empire (so you need a psionic leader to have a psionic focus available, or a computing leader to have a computing focus available).
Leader assigned determines the tech speed as per usual... or if you want to cut micromanagement there then have the automation option to place the best free leader automatically into the relevant slot, determined simply by total % Research Speed they provide. (The level 10 meticulous spark of genius leader (+35%) is better than the current level 5 paranoid synth with her Custom AI Assistant and Expertise: Industry (+30%), stops you from doing mental maths and hunting around when you start having 15+ leaders all over the place.

That way you get the benefit of swapping a leader in the last month and using the best leader without the negatives of doing so - micromanagement and something that I consider an exploit as I don't believe the AI can do it (last-month scientist swapping).

Although I'd improve leader hiring first... I have the annoying habit of hiring and firing leaders to get what I want... I just can't stand having to use Eager/Arrested Development/Stubborn/Carefree/Roamer/Archaeologist leaders in my empire or hiring leaders at the top end of the age range (28-50)... so I hire and fire them... that is my shame (and cause of repetitive strain injury).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have one solution to stop some players feeling the need to swap leaders out just before a tech completes to increase the chance of drawing techs you do want in a different category (I'm glad I don't feel compelled to do so, that sounds extremely annoying).

Separate 'bonus tech speed given by leader traits' from 'bonus tech weighting given by leader traits'.

Instead pick a focus for each tech category, e.g. psionics focus gives x8 weighting to Psionic Theory (the same as a psionic leader).
Focus option available are determined by available leader traits in the empire (so you need a psionic leader to have a psionic focus available, or a computing leader to have a computing focus available).
Leader assigned determines the tech speed as per usual... or if you want to cut micromanagement there then have the automation option to place the best free leader automatically into the relevant slot, determined simply by total % Research Speed they provide. (The level 10 meticulous spark of genius leader (+35%) is better than the current level 5 paranoid synth with her Custom AI Assistant and Expertise: Industry (+30%), stops you from doing mental maths and hunting around when you start having 15+ leaders all over the place.

That way you get the benefit of swapping a leader in the last month and using the best leader without the negatives of doing so - micromanagement and something that I consider an exploit as I don't believe the AI can do it (last-month scientist swapping).

Although I'd improve leader hiring first... I have the annoying habit of hiring and firing leaders to get what I want... I just can't stand having to use Eager/Arrested Development/Stubborn/Carefree/Roamer/Archaeologist leaders in my empire or hiring leaders at the top end of the age range (28-50)... so I hire and fire them... that is my shame (and cause of repetitive strain injury).

Actually, as a quality of life thing, it'd massively help to be able to see which Scientist would provide the biggest boost to the speed of the tech you are currently researching.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Actually, as a quality of life thing, it'd massively help to be able to see which Scientist would provide the biggest boost to the speed of the tech you are currently researching.
Yeah, I got the total of those traits wrong a few times even writing that example and I'm still not sure if I've still made a mistake. In-game I just slot in the two I want to compare rather and check the change in tech speed to avoid mistaking a +5% bonus for a +10% bonus or forgetting how much of a bonus leader skill leves provide.

First Contact
The first steps we are taking is that we are changing how first contact works. First contact is now a much more engaging process with interesting choices that are supported by great narrative.

When you first have an alien encounter you are able to set a policy for what your approach will be. First Contact Protocols is a policy option that lets you dictate your stance when it comes to dealing with newly discovered alien civilizations. Each option has different effects that should suit different types of diplomacy.
I am happy at this improovement.
And unhappy that this extra work means it will take much longer until I got the pop and Economy rework in my hands.

1606380527628.png

Stay on your side of the galaxy and all can be well.
I had an idea that the Empires mention their Origin in the first greeting. That makes it clearer if you meet special Orgins (Gaia World, Doomed Planet).

But maybe that could be worked into the First Contact Xenology* project instead?

*It is like a Archeology project, just with living Xenos.
Or we could call it a information siege

It's a one-time popup, because policies are a bit hidden and quite easy to forget (especially for new players). Also it won't pop up if you've picked the policy already.
That is a major UI feature, long anticipated that should be explicitly mentioned!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
This is really great stuff, it addresses complaints I've had about the game for a long time, just like the previous couple of dev diaries. Stellaris is finally starting to reach its potential!

Hopefully we will also see a change to how trading communications works? It is currently far too trivial to just instantly get to know the whole galaxy by chain-trading comms in the early game. Will we finally see trading communications only unlock the option to research the empires in question rather than giving full communications outright?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like this a lot. It helps with caring about who your neighbours are, because you arent flooded with all the information instantly and its (hopefully) a narrative, not a data dump.
It helps with the instant discovery of the entire galaxy (which might or might not still be "ruined" later through the galactic community)

And it integrates enovys into the game more. Which is always a plus.

So as long as there is enough and diverse enough events to actually make meeting an empire somewhat unique, these are really great changes.

Now do something similiar for midgame! :D (Because we are never content! :>)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am bot happy at this improovement.
And unhappy that this extra work means it will take much longer until I got the pop and Economy rework in my hands.

* Planned work :D

• 1Like
Reactions: