• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! This one is just a short update to let you know what's going on in the development team and what you can expect in the coming weeks and months. As we just released Distant Stars this week, we will now be entering into an extended period of post-launch support with a rolling beta patch similar to what we did after the 2.0 release, both to sort out any issues with the 2.1 launch and to give us time to work on older bugs, QoL improvements and so on. We expect to have the first version of the rolling beta out early next week, with OOS fixes, a fix for starting planets sometimes spawning far away and some other priority issues sorted out.

All of this means that feature dev diaries will be taking a break, and instead we'll be focusing on simply giving you a weekly update on the rolling beta and notable additions or fixes (if any) that we are doing. Feature dev diaries will resume at some point in the summer, when we should be ready to start talking about the next major thing.

For now though, I'm going to end this dev diary with a screenshot of a 'limited victory' mechanic that we're introducing for Subjugation and Ideology wars in the rolling beta. See you next week!
2018_05_23_1.png

Really enjoying this update so far. Some small changes that make space so exciting to explore again. But I am a little concerned with the update pace we've seen since 2.0. For us more casual players that don't always get to finish a full game in between major patches, the balance changes in the patches we saw after the 2.0 release really made it hard to enjoy a full game.

The recommended solution is to lock your copy of the game to a particular version until you've finished that game, then update to the newest version when you're ready to start a new game. That way, you can take as long as you want to finish a game without having it disrupted by patches. It's very easy to revert to earlier versions in Steam at least.

Many people report a significant performance drop once the L-Gate is opened, Paradox is working on that one and hopefully have a fix next week.
Some people also report general performance issues, but those are rarer and are still being analyzed.

Ah, thanks. Guess I'll wait until a beta's out before starting my first game.

Im unsure what your trying to say could.you rephrase the question?
sorry for my bad en.

I wanted to say :
If the exhaustion of war (and other war parameters) are be high to have a white peace but neither of the two camp does not have take a planette : is that what one can go a 'classic' white peace or no white peace when we are not have any ocuped planets.

They start talking about it at 4:15. sounds quite concerning.
My personal take on what he said:

Given the dev talk from last week on pdxcon* and the stuff they say directly before the segment you are concerned about, I wouldn't worry too much.
There is an expansion focusing on Diplomacy coming at some point.
It just might be more like how Utopia made internal politics more interesting than how Apocalpyse basicly burned warfare to the ground and rebuild it from scratch.
2.0 (like the name suggest) was outside the scope of a normal expansion. You can only justify the cost of an update this big so often, before the money guy starts looking at you in a funny way.

Which is totally fine for me. Utopia was awesome and diplomacy isn't as fundamentally broken as the war system was. Some additional options and events should be more than enough to make friendly playthroughs more interesting.

*basicly: After Stellaris released they had four things they really wanted to fix. Two of them got their own expansion already (Internal Politics and Warfare). So expect doplomacy and the economy to also get their own expansions at some point.

@Wiz Can one of the Qol features be to highlight/only show strategic resources? It is quite hard to find them in a sea of mineral/energy/research icons.
if you toggle off the details map mode (The tickbox in the bottom right of the screen) it hides any resource that has a station over it leaving only the unused resources behind, really helpful if your region of space is particularly densely packed.

Is this where we report bugs? I am having an issue with one of the ships you get from an anomaly. The Warform specifically. I can't add it to a fleet or add ships to it to make it a fleet. So it's a single ship by itself. Quite irritating. It's an admiral, which is nice, but what is unfun is not being able to give it a fleet to command.

There's a specific bug forum

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/stellaris-bug-reports.941/

I've got an open bug report on the issue of the Warform.

Limited victories are re-introduced? Great! That will fix the biggest issues that the new 2.0 war system brought! I am already looking forward to being able to set up buffer states again.
Though it seems to be a process of 'two steps forward, one step back', slowly but surely Stellaris seems to evolve into the most awesome game ever.

if you toggle off the details map mode (The tickbox in the bottom right of the screen) it hides any resource that has a station over it leaving only the unused resources behind, really helpful if your region of space is particularly densely packed.
That can be helpful in some situations, but not when strategic resources are something to fight over.

In those cases I want to be able to see where exactly my strategic resources (already being mined) are, and also where strategic resources in other empires (likely also being mined) or unclaimed systems are.
A map mode that highlights all known strategic resources, but not regular resources, would be very helpful for that.

Hi wiz,
Loving the recent updates. The paths on the hyperplanes have really added a lot along with the fog of war for the hyper lane network. I don't know what everyone is talking about with freezes since my game runs fine even with some outdated mods. Perhaps it is just a performance issue with their hardware?

Anyway if I may be so bold, would you guys consider adding bio-trophy as an option for organic and hive mind empires? Rogue servitude is great but I think it would be really awesome if we could play as space hunter empire that captures aliens as trophies/pets.

Hopeing that the next big patch increases performence of the game especially late game , played multi for eaxmple and the game keept freezing for both of us over 2 hours it keept freezing for 2 or 3 sec , I enjoy playing the game on faster speeds , so when you run on fastest and the fps drops from 45 to 5 and from the start from 120 to around 30 in the late game , really hopeing for a performence update. Love the game and my rig aint bad it jsut have some major fps drops since youve added a lot of content.

re: ideology/subjugation partial victory:

Will the newly-created empire have territorial claims and a CB against the empire it was spun off of? e.g. a North/South-Korea situation where neither recognizes the legitimacy of the other's independence. With perhaps an expiration of the CB after enough time has passed (i.e. the new status solidifies).

I'm going to end this dev diary with a screenshot of a 'limited victory' mechanic that we're introducing for Subjugation and Ideology wars in the rolling beta
Will this enable pacifist empires to adjust/remove the claims of their vassals? It is currently impossible which leaves you with an unremovable opinion maulus (claims window is disabled). Only way to 'remove' them is to subjugate/conquer the entire galaxy as every empire you subjugate has it's own claims and you are stuck with them until there is no one left which they could have claims on.

Edit: Aside from this oversight, a pacifist, fanatic materialist feudal empire which imposes it's ideology on the universe through liberation and vassalisation is an amusing playstyle.

Last edited: