• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well done! Seems Europe is fairly standard (well, except that English poland business). England looks increasingly hungry.

stnylan said:
Well done! Seems Europe is fairly standard (well, except that English poland business). England looks increasingly hungry.
There's more Polish strangeness. After the end of the Polish war of liberation, they became vassals of Tuscany! Not all of those deep red provinces in the Baltic region are Lithuanian, some are Tuscan. Tuscany also controls the Kingdom of Naples and one province in Asia Minor.

Edit Tuscany controls Prussia, Napoli, Apulia, Albania, Ragusa and Antalya as well as its capital. Its vassal Poland controls only its capital, Mazovia.

Last edited:
So Sioux Me part 19 - 1660-1682

The next period was marked by wars with Spain, England and France. First, Spain beat the wardrums against the Aztecs. (Feb. 27, 1665) Spain had still not made walls for their towns, but had more troops in the area. We were still able to capture the great market in Ensenada and get much wampum for peace. (231d, Dec. 5, 1666) The Aztecs lost another province to Spain, they only had 2 left. (May 25, 1667, Aztecs cede Michoagan to Spain and pay 72d.)

France built a trading post next in Fox, next to our borders, and a string of trading posts from Oklahoma through Arkansas to Yazoo, blocking our route to the rich marketplaces of the Spanish and English. Hot heads prevailed, and we donned our warpaint and marched against the French. (June 12, 1668) We burnt their trading posts and raided their town in Bayou, and later during the next war with the English, we raided their towns in Roanoke and Chesapeake, which could only be reached through English lands, but could not stand against the French braves and finally retreated to our own lands. (White Peace, June 1, 1681) Perhaps our Chief’s decision to abandon Raven and follow the god of the Christ-men cooled our ardor for war. (Conversion to Catholicism by event, Jan. 9, 1676) This broke the council we had with the Shawnee, Iroquois and Aztecs.

Before the end of our council, England sent the war arrow to the Iroquois during our war with the French tribe. (June 14, 1669) This time, English braves guarded their great market in Sacramento, but we were still able to raid enough small cities to get them to pay us 17 wampum belts for peace. (Dec. 29, 1670)

Last edited:
Goodness! The Poles and the Tuscans are certainly up to some funny business.

The English are doing much better than they typically do, and the Spaniards are actually winning wars with the Aztecs!
Amazing stuff. :eek:

At least you have kept your core lands intact and you have that conversion to speed along your research. On the negative, you don't have as many buffer states/potential allies as you once did... But on balance I think you've come out OK.

But can the center hold?!?!?

I guess Tuscany has turned into a sort of Venice with all those holdings.

Good luck going Christian. Did any of your provinces convert with the event?

stnylan said:
I guess Tuscany has turned into a sort of Venice with all those holdings.
Tuscany was later (apparently) diplo-annexed by Spain; Poland was absorbed by Austria, I don't know if by diplomacy or force.
stnylan said:
Good luck going Christian. Did any of your provinces convert with the event?
Duluth and Mesabi were converted by the initial event; Minnesota by a later one. Oshkosh was small enough a colony to be converted by a colonist, but Milwaukee was already a city, so it and Iowa are still pagan.

Director said:
Goodness! The Poles and the Tuscans are certainly up to some funny business.

The English are doing much better than they typically do, and the Spaniards are actually winning wars with the Aztecs!
Amazing stuff. :eek:

Might be because of the changed morale rules in the January betas.

Director said:
At least you have kept your core lands intact and you have that conversion to speed along your research. On the negative, you don't have as many buffer states/potential allies as you once did... But on balance I think you've come out OK.

But can the center hold?!?!?

Read and find out, my friend.

So Sioux Me part 20 - 1682-1715

For a while we kept to ourselves and dealt with the people who were unhappy about being ruled by Christ-men. It was not long, however, before the Shawnee invited us back to their council fire. (Aug. 16, 1687) The Shawnee and the Aztecs had both lost provinces in the last war with the Spanish. (Spain DoW Aztecs May 9, 1681; Shawnee cede Talahassee, Nov. 7, 1682; Aztecs cede Saltillo, June 17, 1683) The Aztecs were down to one province, and it was obvious to all that soon the Spanish would take even that, but the Shawnee continued to honor them at their council fire.

That end came in the next war, when our council was fighting both the Spanish and English. (Spain DoW Aztecs, Aug. 13, 1688; England DoW Iroquois, Oct. 20, 1690; Aztecs annexed by Spain, Apr. 6, 1691; White Peace between Spain/Knights and Dakota/Shawnee/Iroquois, Aug. 1, 1694; Shawnee cede Savannah, Kentucky, and Tennessee to England, Sep. 2, 1694; Iroquois cede Susquehanna to England, Feb. 14, 1696) We took little part in the wars, as our warband was much reduced, and we had little wampum to pay new braves. We prayed that the braves of England and Spain would fight each other, but such was not to be. The braves of Spain fought with the Navaho (DoW Aug. 4, 1694; Lithuania joins Spain, Sep. 7, 1700; France joins Spain, Dec. 14, 1700; Navaho pay 173 ducats for peace, Nov. 2, 1701) and England sent the war arrow to the Iroquois (DoW June 11, 1704; Iroquois pay 45 ducats, May 8, 1711)

Spain would no longer let our traders bring our goods to their markets. England would keep our traders out during the wars, but would let them trade again afterwards.

Last edited:
DakotaAmerica1715.jpg

Tribal lands, 1715

Definitely getting crowded. If only you could get in an alliance with Spain.

So Sioux Me part 21 - 1715 - 1767

The next war was once again with the English, who sent the war arrow to the Iroquois (DoW June 25, 1716; Shawnee ceded Alabama and paid 19 ducats, Aug. 10, 1720; England paid 316 for peace, Dec. 4, 1725) During the war, a dissident English weapon smith settled in our capital (Unexpected Invention, Aug. 17, 1724: weapons manufactory in Minnesota) and the Huron tribe freed themselves from the English yoke. (Independence declared Jan. 1, 1724 for the single province of Huron; war of independence won Sep. 19, 1731, England paying 200 ducats for peace.)

When the Shawnee council broke up, we invited the Shawnee and Iroquois to sit around our council fire, but only the Shawnee accepted. (Dec. 2, 1735) England warred again with the Huron, but did poorly. (DoW Nov. 2, 1736; ceded Oshawa and Hochelaga to Huron, May 6, 1737) Our next war was again with the English, who beat the wardrums against the Shawnee. (DoW Sep. 29, 1739; Shawnee ceded Miamis and paid 28 ducats, Mar. 23, 1741) Seeing that the Huron, who sat at the council fires of the French, were much more successful in their next wars with the English, (England DoW Huron, June 29, 1742; French support Huron; Austria joins English alliance and war, Apr. 9, 1744; England pays 300 ducats for peace, Aug. 4, 1747) we asked to sit at the council fire with Spain, along with the Knights, Hessen and Benin (Mar. 3, 1751) while the Shawnee sat at the council fire of the Iroquois (May 18, 1751) and decided to shelter under their wing. (Aug. 24, 1752)

Meanwhile, the once-proud Zapotecs, now calling themselves Mexico, declared their independence from England. (Nov. 1, 1750) They were not so lucky as the Hurons, though, losing one of their two provinces back to England (cedes Tehuantepec, pays 69 ducats, and is vassalized, Jan. 30, 1752) and the other in a second war to Spain. (DoW by Spain, May 27, 1753; annexed Sep. 13, 1753)

The French ambassador invited our Chief to eat escargot with him. Imagine our Chief’s reaction when he found out he’d just eaten snails! (Diplomatic Insult, May 21, 1758) Quickly, our Chief wrote to his wife’s second cousin’s niece, who had married the French king’s fifth cousin twice removed just two years before, (Royal Marriage with France, Feb. 14, 1756) and found out that, in all the lands accessible to us, the French had only one small warband in their one fortified town in Yazoo. This meant war! (DoW against France, June 13, 1758; allies invited, Spain, the Knights, and Hessen support us, Benin dishonors alliance) Unfortunately, the Shawnee took advantage and declared war against us. (June 19, 1758; Iroquois support Shawnee; allies invited, Spain and The Knights support us, Hessen dishonors alliance.) The unfortified French towns were quickly occupied, but the war with the Shawnee went poorly at first. (Fox lost to Shawnee, May 19, 1759; Illinois lost to Shawnee, Jan. 19, 1760, Milwaukee lost to Shawnee Nov. 19, 1760) but the tide began to turn when France sued for peace (offering many provinces to Spain; they accepted our counter-offer asking for Mississippi, Arkansas and Oklahoma for ourselves, and Bayou, Biloxi and Roanoke for Spain, Nov. 3, 1760) and with the arrival of Spanish braves, we were able to retake our lost cities, (Illinois retaken Mar. 26, 1761; Fox retaken Dec. 16, 1761; Milwaukee retaken July 18, 1762) force the Iroquois out of the war, (Iroquois pay 82 ducats for peace, Dec. 19, 1762) and take one province from the Shawnee. (Hindua captured July 25, 1763 and ceded in peace settlement, Aug. 16, 1763) In the aftermath, the Shawnee, now reduced to a single province, joined themselves to the Iroquois. (Sep. 25, 1763)

Last edited:
Yes, Dakota is certainly coming out of its shell now. I see the colonization of the north is coming on apace, too, but you've met the impudent Dutch up there. I imagine your relations with them are pretty low?

Farquharson said:
Yes, Dakota is certainly coming out of its shell now. I see the colonization of the north is coming on apace, too, but you've met the impudent Dutch up there. I imagine your relations with them are pretty low?
Actually, I never had any problem with the Dutch. The Hurons gave me some headaches in the last couple of decades of the game, though. (Last update coming up soon.)

So Sioux Me part 22 - 1767-1819

We asked for and got permission from Spain to move our warbands across their lands, and found some more of the English lands in the far west and Spanish lands to the far south and, after a new trailblazer volunteered his services, found a new people who we had never heard of, the Incas, south of even the Spanish lands that we explored.

Our next war was against the Navajo, after their chief elder vomited in the lap of our Chief at a state dinner. This was not well thought out, for all of our braves were on the Navajo border, and we forgot that the Iroquois were allied with them. Our braves fought well against the Navajo, but it was our Spanish allies that did the best, while our eastern border provinces were ravaged by the Iroquois. Eventually, we accepted a small payment of wampum from the Navajo. (DoW July 1, 1778, Spain and Scotland support Dakota (Knights dishonors), Iroquois support Navaho; Navaho ceded Pinalero and paid 160 ducats to Spain for peace, July 10, 1780; Navaho paid 94 ducats for peace, Apr. 4, 1782)

Later, some tribes to the north-east of the old Aztec lands rebelled from Spain, calling themselves Mexico as the former Zapotec lands had earlier. This time they had more success, as Spain was in the middle of a difficult war with the Incas and there was much turmoil in the Spanish lands, some of which joined our nation about the same time. (DoI (Matagorda and Tampico) Feb. 1, 1792; white peace Mar. 1, 1795. Biloxi revolted to Dakota, Aug. 1, 1791; Mobile to England, Oct. 1, 1791; Talahassee to England, Oct. 1, 1792; Bayou to Dakota, Mar. 13, 1793; Seminole to England, Jan. 1, 1793)

A few years later, we beat the war drums against England, for they had closed the doors of their great markets to our traders. Again, our planning was poor, since the lands of Spain were still in great turmoil, several of their lands joining the people of Mexico shortly after the war started. (DoW June 22, 1797; Spain and Scotland supporting England; Mazatlan, Empalme, Altar, San Bernrdion, and Salton revolt to Mexico, Sep. 1, 1797, Ensenada to Mexico, Oct. 1, 1797) This war was a near-run thing, with the English taking one of our stockaded towns early, and frequently asking for it for peace, but we raided many of their unprotected towns, and finally they offered us land for peace. (England ceded Mobile, Tuscaloosa and Miamis, Nov. 23, 1799)

We continued to extend our colonies, and this eventually led to war with the Huron when we built a trading post on land on their borders. (Trading post built in Niagara, Aut. 13, 1808; Huron declared war, Aug. 14, 1808, Russia, Navaho and Iroquois support Huron, Spain and Scotland support Dakota) Our lands were ravaged, and for the first time since the loss of Manhattan we surrendered land for peace. (Russia paid Spain 292 ducats for peace, Dec. 23, 1809; Dakota ceded Detroit and paid 125 ducats, Mar. 14, 1810)

We sent many gifts to the Huron, but not enough, for soon they marched the warpath against us again. (DoW Nov. 6, 1815, Navaho and Iroquois support Huron, Spain and Scotland support Dakota) Again the war went poorly, but we were determined to fight on to the bitter end this time. (Ran out the clock, still at war at end of game.) Much to our surprise, we received an elder from the Russians announcing that we were now at peace in the middle of this war; we had forgotten we were at war with them, for we had never seen any of their braves. (White Peace between Dakota, Scotland and Russia, Nov. 1, 1817)

DakotaNorAm1819.jpg

Tribal Lands, 1819

DakotaSouAm1819.jpg

Southern Tribal Lands, 1819

DakotaEurope1819.jpg

Lands of Christ-men, 1819

That is one very big white blob. And a fairly impressive series of smaller gold blobs.

A very enjoyable read. Looks like some skillful diplomacy took place in the last few decades. Any thoughts on playing the Dakota?

stnylan said:
Any thoughts on playing the Dakota?

They're hard to get started. Only about 3-4 in census taxes before you get tax collectors, and only about 1-3 in monthly income to start. If I were to do it over, I'd probably put my initial DP adjustment in a decrease to Land, Innovation or Mercantilism for the colonist (probably mercantilism, .1 per year is more than annual income will pay for) and put full monthly income in trade, to get into the marketplace earlier (at first only the three mesoamerican nations have merchants in the market, so the longer between when I and the other northern tribes get trade 1, the longer I get max easy income from the market.) After trade 1 is reached, full monthly income in infra until infra 1 and tax collectors. Use initial treasury to build a small army to clear out the hostile natives in adjacent provinces for initial colonies, then disband it. Build up all accessible provinces that are _not_ adjacent to other nations to cities and fortify them before putting any colonies next to any other nation - the AI apparently won't declare war unless there is a common border. After that - I don't know.

This seems to be the only the third EU2 native American grand campaign to be written up complete to 1819. I only just recently got EU2 and have only played a couple other campaigns, and though I've had EU1 for quite a while, I didn't play through that many times either, so I probably still have a lot to learn.