• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So Sioux Me part 12 - 1529-1539

In what the white-eyes call 1529, the Creek marched the warpath against the Cherokee. The Shawnee marched with the Creek, and the Iroquois and the Huron marched with the Cherokee. Things did not look good for the Cherokee, as the Creek and Shawnee were strong and they were weak, and the Iroquois camped far from the Cherokee lands. As for the Huron, they talked a good fight, but were never seen on the battlefield. The Cherokee gave the Huron leave to cross their lands (as if they actually expected any Hurons to be seen there!) Sure enough, the next year the Shawnee captured the last Cherokee lands and absorbed the tribe into their own.

The war dragged on, with most fighting between the Iroquois and Shawnee. A plague struck in 1532, killing many people in Minnesota and Mesabi. We pledged to renew our marriage with the Maya. The tribe of Sweden gave some land called Taurus to the English tribe for peace. In 1533, we renewed our marriage with the Navajo and sent a white bison as a personal gift to the Lenape chief. In 1534, we celebrated Keep Manhattan day once more, the English chief had some sort of argument with the head medicine man of the Christ-men, (England Accepted Rome’s Supremacy, but Rejected it on the Personal Level) and the Shawnee paid much wampum for peace with the Huron and Iroquois. England annexed Gelre (which might keep them out of a few of the wars that Gelre had been dragging England into), and invited the Friesland tribe to sit at their council fire.

In 1535, the Lenape council fire burned out. The Huron invited us to sit around their council fire with the Iroquois (they still beat the wardrums against the Creek, but it was all talk now). We decided to invite the Lenape to our council fire instead. Our Chief went off to consult the spirits for a year (Temporary Insanity of Monarch) and the war between the Huron/Iroquois council and the Creek petered out.

In 1536, we sent one more personal gift to the Lenape, and the next year they agreed to shelter under our wing. Our wing turned out to be poor shelter, for the English beat the wardrums against us. The Lenape marched at our side, but we knew not where to march to. We waited nervously until the English attacked us in Manhattan in 1538, and we fled from the strange beasts with four legs, two arms and two heads. They chased us to the lands of the Lenape, and again we fled. In less than three moons they captured both Manhattan and Susquehanna and forced the Lenape into their tribe. Our braves escaped in a running battle to the lands of the Iroquois, where the English dared not yet go. Our elders beseeched the Shawnee to let our survivors cross their lands, and they softened their hearts and let them. Of over 10,000 braves who were in Manhattan when the English attacked, fewer than 1400 survived the trail of tears to arrive in Iowa in 1539. We mourned our failure to Keep Manhattan, but vowed to return it to our control.

jwolf said:
Uh-oh. This doesn't look good. Even if you can buy the English this time, they are sure to be back, perhaps every 5 years. I hope you have a genius strategy for defeating them!
Oh, I do. It's...

RUN AWAY!

That, and not make peace unless an automatic white peace happens, and hope something revolting happens to the English. At this point, I don't think they know how to get to my heartlands, so that should buy me a few decades.

richvh said:
The tribe of Sweden gave some land called Taurus to the English tribe for peace.

What are England and Sweden doing dealing in territory in southeastern Anatolia?

Well-paced and interesting AAR. I don't think the English or any Europeans will reach the interior, they are usually very bad at warring against the tribes in between (Cherokee, Shawnee, Iroquois). Good luck.

Troggle said:
richvh said:
The tribe of Sweden gave some land called Taurus to the English tribe for peace.
What are England and Sweden doing dealing in territory in southeastern Anatolia?

I have no idea. The only European provinces I can see are Castile and Anglia.

Troggle said:
Well-paced and interesting AAR. I don't think the English or any Europeans will reach the interior, they are usually very bad at warring against the tribes in between (Cherokee, Shawnee, Iroquois). Good luck.
Thanks. I think I'll need it.

So Sioux Me part 13 - 1539-1549

The next ten years were very bad. We were constantly harassed by elders from the English chief, demanded much wampum and Manhattan. Sometimes they were quite insulting. (Scandal in the Court, June 16, 1539, -100 relations with England) The Maya lost more land to the Aztecs, and the Spanish took some of that land back from the Aztecs. We sent much wampum to the chief of the Spanish tribe, in hopes that we would be admitted to their council fire. A star fell from the sky, and we were afraid. (Meteor Sighted, Jan. 26, 1544) One year, the harvests were good. (Exceptional Year, Oct. 16, 1546) A new chief took over the English tribe, (Edward VI, Jan. 29, 1547) but still the war dragged on.

Since the English annexed Lenape don't they have a map of territory to get to you? Although admittedly even if they do, they would be hard pressed to actually reach your territory. Still, isn't it theoretically possible?

With all that said, your strategy sounds like it should work. It's brilliant in its simplicity.:)

Well, the game is getting more interesting, you have to admit that! ;)
Oh, and btw, thanks for posting a screenshot - nice to see exactly what you can see now after all that map-swapping.

jwolf said:
Since the English annexed Lenape don't they have a map of territory to get to you? Although admittedly even if they do, they would be hard pressed to actually reach your territory. Still, isn't it theoretically possible?

With all that said, your strategy sounds like it should work. It's brilliant in its simplicity.:)
Well, when I swap maps, I only get to see occupied provinces, not neutral provinces, so unless rules are different for AI countries, they'll see where I am but not how to get there. (And I don't think they are, as there were always provinces the other country knew and I didn't, both before and after exchanging maps.) Even if they did get the neutral provinces, the only route I know is through Iroquois and Shawnee, and so far the English haven't seen fit to go to war with either of them. Perhaps they want only one colonial war at a time?

So Sioux Me part 14, 1549-1559

The next ten years started to look better, but not much. We heard that another holy man argued with the chief medicine man of the Christ-men. (Jean Calvin, Mar. 20, 1549) Our traders were unhappy, because more and more of the provinces were sending their products to the great markets of the Christ-men. (Unhappiness among the Merchants, May 4, 1549) We exchanged maps with the Creek and learned of the tribe of France. (Sep. 1550) The strain of the war again caused our Chief to go off and consult the spirits. (Temporary Insanity of the Monarch, June, 1, 1551) Strangely enough, the English sent us a bride in the middle of the war (England Let Sir Francis Walsingham Become their Spymaster, Jan. 23, 1555; they got Royal Marriages with Holstein, Ak Koyunlu, Cologne, Dakota and The Palatinate.) The large English warband in Susquehanna left, putting down the small revolt in Manhattan that had smoldered for years. (Only 2700 men in the rebel force, not enough to lay siege.) Seeing the opportunity, we sent our warbands back East, retracing the Trail of Tears, and camped around Susquehanna. A small English warband came up, less than 3000 braves, and chased us into Manhattan, which we quickly freed. (Aug. 1555-Aug. 1556) Some braves in Duluth protested against the length of the war, but a long winter outside the stockade soon changed their minds. (Unprovoked Revolt, Apr. 1, 1556. Less than 5000 men in the rebel force, so I let them be and let General Winter do the work.) Eire, a tribe we had heard little of, joined the council fires of the English. We would soon hear more of them, but first we recruited more braves in Manhattan and drove the English out of Susquehanna after three tries. (May 1557-Jan. 1558) An Irish warband drove us out of Manhattan, but left us free to capture Susquehanna. (Sep. 1558-Nov. 1558) At the start of 1559, the Irish were gathering their warbands in Manhattan to try to capture it, and we were gathering our warbands in Susquehanna to try to drive them off.

So Sioux Me part 15 - 1559-1569

The war dragged on through the next ten years. Manhattan was recaptured by the Irish horsemen (Dec. 1560) and our warband returned to Iowa to wait them out. Eventually, other wars among the Christmen caused the Irish warband to leave. (England/Friesland/Eire vs. Netherlands, Apr. 1563; vs. Flanders, Sept. 1563; vs. French Catholics, Nov. 1563) We gathered our warbands and returned to Manhattan (Oct. 1565) only to be driven out again by another small Irish warband. We learned of other Christ-men tribes after they joined the English council-fire (Luxemburg, Nov. 1565; Poland, Oct. 1567) or when they marched the warpath against us. (Netherlands, Dec. 1565) What a joke that war was! We never even saw one Dutch brave. (White Peace, Dec. 1568) The Creek refused to let our warbands through their lands so we could raid the unprotected English cities near them, so our warband returned to Iowa to gather more braves. (Sep. 1566)

Seem to be surviving so far. Personally I think your problems will most likely occur post-1700.

So Sioux Me part 16 - 1569-1618

The war dragged on and on. We managed to defeat a small Irish warband in Manhattan and retake it (Oct. 1569-Apr. 1571) but the Irish sent another, larger warband that took it back. (Aug. 1571-Feb 1573) This force was much too large for us to drive off, so for a long time we did little More Christ-men tribes beat the wardrums against us, but we never saw their braves. (Netherlands, DoW Jan. 23, 1575, White Peace Feb. 1, 1577; Flanders, DoW Dec. 22, 1575 (revealing Flandern), White Peace Jan. 1579) We called on our council-mates to march with us, but they spat in our faces (Huron and Iroquois dishonor alliance Dec. 22, 1575) so we sat around the council fires with Spain. (Dec. 26, 1575) Elders from Eire and England kept bothering us for Manhattan and much wampum. We kept rejecting their demands, but sometimes the rejections were handled better than others. (Scandal in the court, Jan. 23, 1574, -100 relations with England; Diplomatic Move, +25 relations with England, June 19, 1578)

We were finally able to persuade the Creek to let our warbands use their trails, (Feb. 17, 1585) starting a new phase of the war. Our warband raided the English cities in Santee and Carolina, then usually fade into the mountains of the Creek lands before the English warband could arrive. Eventually, the English put warbands in both provinces, and we had to stop our raids for a while. We traded maps again with the Iroquois and Shawnee and Creek and found some more English settlements, and started raiding them. Strangely, the more we raided the English settlements, the more they thought that they were winning the war. The people were unhappy about the progress of the war. (Revolt in Iowa, Nov. 1589, Duluth May 1592, Unhappiness among the Peasants, Iowa, Jan. 1594, Duluth 1596, Iowa 1602, Iowa 1610) Most of the time a winter or two outside the stockade was able to persuade them to go back to work. A couple of times they managed to get inside the stockades, and our loyal braves had to show them the errors of their ways. A man who claimed to be able to find new trails showed up in the middle of a revolt in Iowa in 1602, and another escaped from Irish-controlled Manhattan in 1607. They helped us find more English lands to raid, but they were harder to get to and escape from, so more of our braves were being killed in the raids. Some people wanted to settle new lands (Granted Colonial Charter during Regional Population Boom, Oct. 1604) and we started to settle Milwaukee. (Oct. 1608-Dec. 1611)

Spain dragged us into a war with some places we never heard of. (Ottomans and Golden Horde, Dec. 1595, revealing Volgograd and Thrace) We didn’t get anything out of it, and never saw an enemy brave, so next time they called for our help, we declined. (Against Navarra, June 1605. Didn’t look at the message box close enough, hit DECLINE before noticing it was a call to war instead of another peace demand) Instead we sat around the council fire with the Creek, Shawnee and Aztecs. Finally, we got tired of the continuous Christ-men elders’ demands and gave Manhattan to Eire. (Jan. 18, 1611) Eire then declared war on the Shawnee and we got dragged right back into war with them. (May 15, 1611. Our stability was already at -3, so the -5 stability cost didn’t hurt any.) We were still at war with England and the other tribes that sat at its council fire, but only fought one more battle with them. (May 6, 1612, in Illinois against an exploring English conquistador) The Shawnee surrendered Delaware to Eire for peace in 1613, and our war with the English petered out in 1615, after which Eire was absorbed by England and England beat the war drum against the Huron.

DakotaKnownWorld1618.jpg

Known World, 1618

Have you managed to lose the whiteman penalty yet? It looks like the English are establishing a very strong presence .

stnylan said:
Have you managed to lose the whiteman penalty yet?
In 1618, my whiteman is 9. It will go up considerably in the next update (just finished playing up to 1643.)

stnylan said:
It looks like the English are establishing a very strong presence .
Yup. They have at least Mobile and maybe Biloxi on the gulf coast, and an unknown number of additional provinces in the northeast US/eastern Canada.

So Sioux Me part 17 - 1618-1643

It wasn’t long before we once again beat the wardrums against the English, for soon after the Shawnee welcomed the Creek into their tribe, (Mar. 6, 1619) England marched the warpath against the Shawnee, (Apr. 1, 1619) who called for help from their council. We pledged our support, as did the Iroquois, but many angry braves prevented our giving any substantial help. (Revolts in Mesabi, May 1619, Duluth, March 1620) The Shawnee did well without our help, and England paid 86 wampum belts for peace. (July, 1620) After the Huron were forced onto the reservation in 1625, (First Anglo-Huron War, June 1, 1615-Dec. 2, 1618, Huron ceded Hochelaga and Ottawa; Second Anglo-Huron War, Jan. 5, 1624-Sep. 1, 1625, full annexation of Huron) the English beat the wardrums against the Shawnee once more. We and the Iroquois gave some help, and were joined by the great Aztec nation in 1626, but the English were more successful, getting wampum for peace first from the Aztecs, (June 1629, 288 ducats) then the Iroquois, (July 12, 1631, 41 ducats) then the Shawnee. (July 6, 1633, 110 ducats)

Our council was more successful against the Spanish. When the Spanish marched the the warpath against the Aztecs, a trailblazer who had offered his services in 1626 (and was of some help in the recent English wars) was able to sweep through the Spanish cities from Matagorda to Baja and Ensenada, twice forcing the Spanish to offer much wampum to smoke the peace pipe. (Spain declared war against Aztecs Sep. 25, 1633; Aztecs accepted 298 ducats for peace from Spain Nov. 28, 1634; Spain declared war again Jan. 3, 1640, paid Aztecs 221 ducats for peace Apr. 22, 1641)

A second new settlement was started in Oshkosh. (Trading post Nov. 16, 1627; Colony Mar. 29, 1628) An attempt at a third settlement in Superior failed. (Sep. 10, 1629) After sending many gifts to the chief of the Hannover tribe, we managed to obtain a good map of the lands of the Christ-men across the seas. (Apr. 12, 1630)

Known World, 1643

DakotaAmerica1643.jpg

Tribal lands, 1643

DakotaEurope1643.jpg

Lands of the Christ-men, 1643

So Sioux Me part 18 - 1643-1660

Once more, the principle influences on our people were wars with the tribes of England and Spain. This time, our people came out of the wars much richer.

The next war was started by the English (DoW vs. Shawnee, Aug. 5, 1643) Our horse warriors quickly captured many English towns in the south and east, but the war dragged on and some were retaken. During the war, the chief of Spain sent the war arrow to the Aztecs. (DoW May 25, 1646) Once again, our horse warriors sped through the unprotected Spanish settlements north of the Aztec lands. The Austrian tribe marched with the English (Austria joined English alliance, Aug. 2, 1645, and joins war vs. Native American alliance and vs. Poland) and the Polish tribe, which had recently separated from England, (Poland revolted from England, Aug. 1, 1645) joined the councils of the Spanish (Poland joined Spanish alliance, June 8, 1648) but we only saw the braves of the Austrians, who strove against the Shawnee, not the braves of the Polish.

The Aztecs yielded three provinces to the English for peace (Tehuacan, Guatemala and Tehuantepec, June 2, 1648), but thanks to our capture of the English great market in Sacramento, the English paid us 252 belts of wampum for peace. (Nov. 29, 1649) Shortly after, Spain paid 22 belts of wampum for peace with the Aztecs. The English war dragged on into the next year, until the Shawnee paid 60 wampum belts to the English. (Apr. 4, 1651)

We rebuilt our warband using the English wampum, and soon the wardrums were heard again, from the Spanish this time. (DoW vs. Aztecs, Jan. 11, 1655) Once more our warbands captured many unprotected Spanish settlements, including their new great market in Ensenada. The Spanish sent many offers of the peace pipe with much wampum to us, but for many moons we refused, but finally we agreed. (Spanish pay 250 ducats, Nov. 11, 1659) Shortly after, the Aztecs also smoked the peace pipe, but they did not do so well as us. (Aztecs pay 342 ducats and cede Atlixco to Spanish)