So... On Solving Population End-Game Lag

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Miles Invictus

Second Lieutenant
51 Badges
Aug 15, 2014
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Allright lads, as a long time player of this game (from the very beginning in fact) I've noticed a lot of major changes/overhauls to the game over time; most of which I would argue have improved upon the gameplay to a significant extent.

However, in my view the single biggest issue facing the game right now is the lag caused by the sheer number of pops on each planet. I've seen several posts here over time arguing for a major overhaul of the pop mechanic in Stellaris to alleviate our poor CPUs but perhaps it might be better to simply reform the current system; instead, what if the devs were to cut down on the number of pops available in the game?

For example, in the current version of Stellaris (2.8) a high population capital by mid/end game, like Earth, usually has around 105+ in population. Moreover, several of the end-game structures have something like 8 workers each (Research Laboratories, Alloy Plants etc.).

Rather than removing the mechanic outright, could it not perhaps be easier simply scaling down in terms of pops? E.g. end game planet = 40 pops (1 pop perhaps representing a "billion" inhabitants?). Moreover, the aforementioned buildings could perhaps be equally scaled down, having 4 workers each instead of 8 and having the same economic demand/output as their original counterparts?

Finally, to avoid rapid pop explosions the rate of pop growth could equally be scaled down. With all of these changes, not only would it result in much better performance from mid-game onwards, but would also make our pops much more valuable; the loss of a pop to whatever reason (e.g. giving one away to the Fallen Empire/Machine Uprising etc.) would have much more economic impact on our and AI empires than before.

PS: I think I saw some of this mentioned in a Dev Diary pre-Xmas (at least with regard to buildings), but not as much on the pop downscaling.

These are just my own thoughts. What do you guys think - yea or nay?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
I've had another gander and it definitely looks like they'll be doing just that.
However, will this extend to a soft "cap" on planetary capacities? I see one sentence saying "half the pops as earlier builds end game" (or something similar) but that's it.

Having more pops on the planet will slow pop growth if that's what you mean by "soft cap on planetary capacities". Also, there will be fewer jobs to be had per planet with only 12 building slots and 6 jobs per T3 building (down from 16 slots and 8 jobs per T3 building) so you'll sooner reach a point where extra pops are a nuisance rather than a benefit and you'll start taking steps to move them to less developed planets.

Aye, but the issue still remains; too many pops for the game to handle.

The game needs less pops to calculate in order to run smoother/be less intensive. I'm just wondering if the new Stellaris update will genuinely cut down on the number of pops IN TOTAL, or just cap jobs per structure. If they don't cut down on total pops the AI and player will simply build more habitats, returning us to the initial problem.

Due to the effects on performance and a desire to reduce the micromanagement burden in the mid to late game, some of the things we’ve been deeply looking into are different ways of dramatically reducing the number of pops in the galaxy.
First line under the first header "Reduction in Pops" implies they want less pops in total.

First line under the first header "Reduction in Pops" implies they want less pops in total.
Which is a decent idea, sadly their "fix" to increase productivity in turn falls short. Because the math behind it isn't sound.

On topic, beyond a certain point it's not actually the CPU. The engine itself appears to become the problem.

Reactions: