• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As we are speaking, the settlers are already down there in Djado cutting some trees... or whatever you cut in the desert..."

I spilled my coffee.

Orlando: "That's sad."

Orlando: "Oh yes... that would be really bad. Anyway, thank you for your explanations. Do you have any more recommendations for more... ehm... greatness?"

Orlando: "Sienese Maghreb?? But why?"

Orlando: "Ehm... sure... if it does increase our reputation, it can only be a good thing."
He really is a ruler of nothing, he can't even make his own decisions: off with his head!

Hakimi: "Hmm... I might have a suggestion then... let us rename 'Sienese Tripolitania' into 'Sienese Maghreb'."

It's all about the branding!

Just came across this AAR and I really enjoyed it. Humorous AARs are always a fun read. Looking forward to the next update.

Hard to explain, I just found it really funny :D

Okay then

Great update! Not crazy conquerors indeed! I hope they believe that one ;)

Well one can at least try :p

I spilled my coffee.

I'm going to conquer some coffee provinces to make up for that loss :)

He really is a ruler of nothing, he can't even make his own decisions: off with his head!

To be honest I didn't try to make Orlando look bad in the last chapter... but after reading your comment, I decided to make him look somewhat bad in the next chapter. :p

It's all about the branding!

Just came across this AAR and I really enjoyed it. Humorous AARs are always a fun read. Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks! Next update is incoming

Chapter 10: They call him Columbus

dwe5KB8.jpg

Advisor: "My Doge..."

Marco Orlando (The Doge): "Yes?"

Advisor: "Are you really sure that was the correct decision..."

Orlando: "Of course I am."

Advisor: "Columbus is regarded as a very skilled explorer..."

Orlando: "And here is the problem. I need someone to lead our troops further into the desert. I don't need a sailor. After the death of Alighieri..."

sysHLue.jpg

Orlando: "After the death of Alighieri, I gladly accepted Columbus' offer to serve the 'Sienese Crown' as an explorer..."

xbfdakh.jpg

Orlando: "... I didn't tell him there is no Sienese Crown though... anyway. Columbus turned out to be a sailor who wants to pass the big ocean in order to find a new sea route to the Orient... but that's not what we need right now. We need someone to lead our troops. We just cannot afford to spend our resources on overseas exploration right now... so I decided to send Columbus back home to Genoa."

Advisor: "My Doge, this incident has not helped our reputation..."

Orlando: "I don't understand why it would be a problem. The Portuguese refused Columbus too... they think he could never possibly reach India by sailing to the West because even though the earth is of course round, the distance would be much too large... I think they are probably correct. Anyway, if Portugal can refuse him... then we can refuse him too."

Advisor: "My Doge, it has been reported that the newly created Castilian Exploration Assembly has talked badly about you... they compared you to Enrique de Trastamara. Let me quote their statement 'By dismissing Señor Colón, Doge Marco Orlando has displayed ignorance on a scale that can only be described as Enriquean'."

1VMP3ls.jpg

Orlando: "So what does that fancy new word mean... is it bad?"

Advisor: "Yes, my Doge. Let me describe it like this... on a scale from 'triple zero' to 'triple six', Enriquean would be a 'triple zero'."

Orlando: "I'm sure I'm not a 'triple zero' though."

Advisor: "That's technically correct, but it's already bad for us if people just think that way..."

Orlando: "Those Castilians should better be quiet... if they value Columbus so much why don't they employ him? He might discover them some nice lands or something! But they shouldn't tell me what to do and what not to do... aren't there any more important matters to talk about?"

Messenger [entering the room]: "My Doge, news from Sweden."

Orlando: "Ehm... Sweden? How is Sweden in any way relevant?"

84DKoTQ.jpg

Messenger: "Oh they are completely irrelevant of course... but you know, they have way too much copper up there... seems like nobody wanted to buy their copper... so in order to create some demand, they invented the so-called 'bronze cannons'. Now everyone wants to build those cannons and as a consequence the Swedes are getting rich from their exports... it's not clear at the moment whether those new weapons are going to have a big impact on the battlefield or not, but if they do then we should better be prepared..."

Orlando: "Okay... that is relevant."

Reactions:
Chapter 11: The stage is set

hxuyYnq.jpg

"Dear reader! I am Marco Orlando and this is my new report. A lot of things happened in the meantime... where to start? Well... first I'm going to tell you how I lost my position as Doge...

aPcOnXb.jpg

So in 1481, I recieved a message from the Syndicate... they told me they would back Evangelista Vagliagli to become the new Doge... who is Vagliagli you might ask? Well, he is a fairly insignificant person in my opinion... which also explains why he only stayed for one term and then got replaced by Constantino Salimbeni. But he is quite good in military matters and that's also the reason why the Syndicate wanted him so badly. Yes, the reform of the military got neglected a bit during my rule... we had other priorities... now with the Swedish inventions it suddenly became important. Oh, and also because we planned to invade people, I guess.

QI0cZtm.jpg

Anyway, Vagliagli did have some success extending and improving the use of gunpowder weapons in our army... even though we did not manage to catch up with most of the other countries and we actually did not produce any cannons during his term. But I digress...

Some months after taking charge, Vagliagli collected the troops and prepared to start a glorious crusade in order to spread the true faith in the lands of Aïr. To be fair, there had already been a very crusader-ish mood in the country during my last term... which is why 'Deus Vult' had been the word of the year in 1479. Deus Vult!

rGEQNDw.jpg

As far as Aïr is concerned... we knew that they were already at war with some other state called the 'Songhai Empire' and we knew that their troops were somewhere, but definitely not guarding their northern border. Well, Vagliagli did what was asked of him and took the opportunity to attack.

db6gTja.jpg

Our troops entered their territory without any real resistance... but then we encountered the fortifications of Aïr. Yes, we found their capital... located near a small mountain range and actually fortified quite well.

Xihvtnc.jpg

In the meantime, our city in Djado Valley got established officially, making it possible to connect our northern lands to possible acquisitions in the south!

wecBoNb.jpg

The orange troops of Djerid soon assisted us in our conquest... then we marched to the south-west and met some troops from Songhai. They had indeed beaten Aïr in battle and were now occupying their western lands. We didn't know where exactly Songhai was located... probably further west.

HfDHnNb.jpg

So it became clear that the situation we were in was some kind of standoff... our troops occupying some lands, Songhai occupying some lands, and the army of Aïr maybe lurking around somewhere. We used this opportunity to explore... and we found a place producing indigo dyes. Now we know where exactly these flowers grow...

lh0vD54.jpg

In general, the further south we went the more surprising things we found...

XEItaLy.jpg

... an interesting vegetation and strange animals.

xh4vYqG.jpg

Anyway, I'm going to stop here... there were many more things that happened during our campaign. You'll certainly read it in the next chapter... or report. Until next time!"

cMPO7e2.jpg

Reactions:
I wouldn't let those long necks anywhere near your border.

They might be spies!

Anyway, if Portugal can refuse him... then we can refuse him too.
"Ehm... Sweden? How is Sweden in any way relevant?"
Ignoring the talent of Columbus and the might of Sweden. Dear god, what a badass Doge you created :eek:!

and we found a place producing indigo dyes. Now we know where exactly these flowers grow...
I don't want to nitpick, but what connection is there between dyes and flowers? Is it fertility of the ground or some sort? I know I can ask strange questions, that's who I am apparently :rolleyes:...

The Sienese certainly are not Enriquean. What a terrible insult!

Two updates? You are spoiling us, my Serene Doge.

Well I don't really plan ahead and I'm writing and posting whenever I feel like it. That's why there can be two updates at the same day or no update at all. Maybe later on, I'm going to follow a schedule or something. Maybe :p

I wouldn't let those long necks anywhere near your border.

They might be spies!

Hmm... Trojan Horse reloaded?

Ignoring the talent of Columbus and the might of Sweden. Dear god, what a badass Doge you created :eek:!

I don't want to nitpick, but what connection is there between dyes and flowers? Is it fertility of the ground or some sort? I know I can ask strange questions, that's who I am apparently :rolleyes:...

Well Sweden is not that important.
Anyway, when I write 'flowers' I'm referring to the indigo plants which were traditionally used to produce the dyes :)

The Sienese certainly are not Enriquean. What a terrible insult!

Well as a republic, being Enriquean is not even mathematically possible :p

Glory to the Sienese crown! Even if there isn't one :p Great updates as always, my doge.

Thank you!

Chapter 12: Deus ... Vult?

Evangelista Vagliagli (The Doge/Commander): "So many discoveries."

Butrus Hakimi (Agent/Diplomat/Advisor): "Indeed, Signore Vagliagli... first we acquired those maps about Portuguese discoveries in the ocean... they found an archipelago several hundred kilometers south of the Canary Islands. We are sure that they continued their exploration efforts in the meantime... they might have sent another expedition further south or who knows where..."

xDFpzyL.jpg

Vagliagli: "If that's the case, I hope you can 'acquire' another map showing their new discoveries. Hehe."

Hakimi: "Oh I'm certainly going to try. Anyway, Portugal is now also at war with Morocco... they are trying to increase their control over North-West Africa. Ambitious indeed..."

dwyHcMU.jpg

Vagliagi: "Just like us. If the Portuguese increase their power in Africa they might be able to help us in further conquests... nothing to worry about. Anyway, what about that lake?"

Hakimi: "Which lake?"

eFhpsHw.jpg

Vagliagli: "Well that... thing we found. In the south-east."

Hakimi: "Oh that one, well the locals call it 'Lake Chad'. And that's all we know about it. Our troops are currently busy sieging the local fortifications and we cannot afford to send anybody to explore."

[Three persons enter the room. One is a messenger with a letter. The other one is easily identified as the former Doge, Marco Orlando. The third person is an agent wearing a mask.]

Messenger: "My Doge! Breaking news! The Florentines... Pope... we..."

uFIQHC6.jpg

Messenger: "The Florentines want to drag us into a war against the Pope!"

Orlando: "Signore Vagliagli... I recommend to honour their call to arms."

Vagliagli: "Signore Orlando! What are you doing here? Haven't you... retired? Aren't you a story writer right now? Or something?"

Agent [removing his mask]: "Signore Vagliagli. I am carrying direct instructions from the Syndicate's Chief Strategist. This is of the utmost importance which is also the reason why Signore Orlando is here. We must accept the call to arms..."

Vagliagli: "I mean, I'm not really focused on what's happening in Italy, but to attack the POPE? I cannot possibly agree! Okay, I admit I'm not an expert in diplomacy, but what I know is that attacking the pope is always a mistake! It makes you the antichrist!"

Agent: "That's why we are not going to send any troops. Listen. The pretext for this war is the following... the Florentines have 'found' some documents 'proving' that the city of Modena is theirs by right... Modena is currently owned by the Lord of Ferrara... who is in turn allied to the Pope. Now we are just going to declare that we believe the Florentine documents are true so we are obliged to accept the call to arms according to our treaty. The Pope won't like that but he won't regard us as antichrists... maybe as fools... the Florentines will win the war easily and they will regard us as a valuable ally because we supported them. At the same time, we will explain to the Pope how we did not actually support them. Okay?"

Orlando: "However I must add that the traders of the Papal State will certainly use this opportunity to seize... or sink... some of our ships... well it's a sacrifice that must be made..."

9XcyVG0.jpg

Vagliagli: "Whatever. If you think that's the correct decision then it's fine with me... can I go back to reforming the army now?"

Chapter 13: The spawn of the devil

26296805wy.jpg

"The end is nigh! The end is nigh! Rome has colllllllllapsed! Evil has triumphed! The 1st Unfaithful Army...

26296801sw.jpg

The 1st Unfaithful Army has desecrated the most holy places! Oh... the forces of darkness always strike when nobody expects... His Holiness the Pope has sent the army to fight in some minor worldly conflict... then the antichristian monsters spawned and spread their heresy throughout the land! The minor conflict ended... the forces of evil are still there!

26296802hk.jpg

The end is nigh!"

[Meanwhile in Africa]

26296803za.jpg

Rafaello Labriola (Commander): "Let's start! [starts to sing] We are so narrow-minded..."

Soldiers [singing]: "We are so narrow-minded."

Labriola: "We feel safe and secure..."

Soldiers: "We feel safe and secure."

26296804xc.jpg

Labriola: "We have found the flower zone..."

Soldiers. "We have found the flower zone."

26296806yi.jpg

Labriola: "The forces of Songhai have retreated before our very eyes!"

Soldiers: "... retreated before our very eyes."

26296808zs.jpg

Labriola: "Meanwhile Portugal got their share."

Soldiers: "Portugal... share..."

Labriola: "Come on... that's not how you do it!"

26296809ei.jpg

Labriola: "We have beaten Aïr in the battle of Daura!"

Soldiers: "We have beaten Aïr in the battle of Daura."

26296810sl.jpg

Labriola: "There can only be one consequence."

Soldiers: "There can only be one consequence."

Labriola: "Annex, annex, annex!"

Soldiers [cheering]: "Annex!"

Reactions:
That contrast between the end is nigh and then - people feel safe... :D

Rafaello Labriola (Commander): "Let's start! [starts to sing]

2b.gif

Siena commander Rafaello calls: "I don't know but I've been TOLD"

Siena marines respond: "I don't know but I've been TOLD"

Sienna commander calls: "AIR in the desert is now mighty COLD!"

Siena marines respond: "AIR in the desert is now mighty COLD!"

Last edited:
Reactions:
Great songs as always, my doge! Keep up the moral in the army!

Thank you! Actually I'm not so sure about the morale of the army, but at least they feel safe and secure.

That contrast between the end is nigh and then - people feel safe... :D

That was completely unintended :D
(Seriously)

Siena commander Rafaello calls: "I don't know but I've been TOLD"

Siena marines respond: "I don't know but I've been TOLD"

Sienna commander calls: "AIR in the desert is now mighty COLD!"

Siena marines respond: "AIR in the desert is now mighty COLD!"

I don't think the Sienese soldiers are wise enough to make use of advanced things such as rhymes or Air jokes. :(