• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 6: In Late Medieval Siena, state accepts you

qyI6mOf.jpg

Marco Torricelli (The Doge): "Signore de Rossi."

Borghese de Rossi (Inquisitor): "Ah, Signore Torricelli. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Torricelli: "I need your help to complete the integration of Fezzan into our beautiful Sienese Tripolitania."

De Rossi: "Oh... do you require some 'fire' or a 'sword'?"

Torricelli: "Actually what I need is..."

Torricelli: "I need you and your missionaries to study Arabic as well as the Berber languages."

De Rossi: "Excuse me?"

Torricelli: "In order to spread the faith."

AjHE4yw.jpg

Torricelli: "We will officially accept the so-called 'Tunisian' culture from now on. Their languages will have an official status in all of Sienese Tripolitania. We will only send a small number of administrators so the people will not regard us as 'evil, completely insane, greedy and corrupt conquerors'. Hmm... well as long as we're not corrupt... anyway."

Torricelli: "Those administrators... will be you and your team of missionaries. And your task is to convert the provinces to Catholicism. I mean... of course it's a complete coincidence. Officially you are not assigned in order to convert anyone... no, you are just assigned because you are a very capable administrator and you just 'happen' to be a very devout man who is going to convert the provinces in a private initiative. Okay?"

DExZgju.jpg

De Rossi: "What happens if someone refuses to convert?"

Torricelli: "It doesn't matter. What really matters is that when the Papal legate visits Tripolitania, it has to look like a Catholic country. It doesn't matter whether some people want to convert or not... we just need enough people. We need enough churches and a big parade of faithful Catholics when the Papal legate arrives."

De Rossi: "Okay... I will be cautious then."

Torricelli: "Also, I want you to send one of your men as an envoy to Tunis. Make sure the following message reaches the Sultan: 'After the creation of Sienese Tripolitania, we are now completely saturated and will not seek any further expansion in Africa.' Okay?"

De Rossi [starting to laugh]: "But Signore Torricelli, I mean... do you really think anyone is going to believe THAT?"

Torricelli: "We can try."

2YExlXq.jpg

Messenger [entering the room]: "My Doge, important news! We have now officially left the Venetian trade league. It seems we have violated their terms... so now we're out."

Sit0GFt.jpg

Torricelli: "Wait. We were in a trade league??"

Messenger: "Yes... it was also referred to as 'non-corrupt treaty for mutual gain wherein trade power is exchanged for protection' and the term 'trade power' is defined as..."

Torricelli: "Ah yes, that one. Well they can manage by themselves."

De Rossi: "What happens if someone refuses to convert?"

Torricelli: "It doesn't matter. What really matters is that when the Papal legate visits Tripolitania, it has to look like a Catholic country. It doesn't matter whether some people want to convert or not... we just need enough people. We need enough churches and a big parade of faithful Catholics when the Papal legate arrives."
Good luck with converting the heretics, luckily you have the clergy estate to help you with that (maybe a little donation would help speed up the conversion :p?).

Advisor: "Yes, my Doge. I can directly feel how your sentence absorbs corruption. If we tell our court musicians to create a song based on this sentence, I assume this would have a great effect on our population. Yes, I would even say that the lyrics you have written are in some way 'ahead of time' because they are so brilliant. If you do not mind, my Doge, I will summon the court musicians immediately."

Torricelli: "Then we bribed them and... I mean, in a non-corrupt way. We just gave them a gift basically. Right? We are rich people so we are supposed to share with the poor."

"Hi! I am Fabio Alighieri, your interactive travel guide. So... yes? What do you ask? You'd like to call me Dante? Fine... call me Dante. No, no, I'm not actually related to the poet. Yes, it's okay."

LOL

cynical/humorous conversations in an EU4 aar. Do I sense a bit of influence from my AAR here? ;)

Tunis will surely believe that. Just tell them you've encountered nothing but air.

Reactions:
Good luck with converting the heretics, luckily you have the clergy estate to help you with that (maybe a little donation would help speed up the conversion :p?).

Well at this point they were above 60% loyalty already, so another 'gift' wouldn't change anything :p

LOL

cynical/humorous conversations in an EU4 aar. Do I sense a bit of influence from my AAR here? ;)

No but I like your writing style, I like it when AARs are somewhat narrative but at the same time focused on gameplay, when they are funny but the gameplay they describe is quite serious. There is definitely some influence there, but the conversations themselves just happen and they are not connected to anything. Except for the game mechanics :p

Tunis will surely believe that. Just tell them you've encountered nothing but air.

Hehe. They are going to encounter my Condottieri. (Yes that's a spoiler)

Chapter 7: Keep up with fashions

aiDULE6.jpg

"Dear reader! I am Marco Orlando and this is what I did in my first term as Doge. So at my first day in office, I received a letter from 'The Syndicate's Trade Good Investigation Commitee'. Apparently we found something in Africa. Yes, after we established a settlement at the Tajhari oasis, we encountered traders from Aïr offering us flowers.

26e8IsF.jpg

Also known as indigo dyes. According to the traders, those were very common in Aïr... but obviously not in Europe. So we bought everything they had and then sold the dyes for a much higher price to the Venetians... it's not like they can control the flow of goods into Europe! Right?

After that I wanted to do something for the good of humanity so I decided to attack our neighbours. Because of their colour! Yes, the orange colour of Djerid combines very well with indigo blue... it's a nice contrast. It's important to keep up with fashions so I gave the orders to attack.

C9qUWWF.jpg

fSIyMw2.jpg

So we marched into their lands and completely dominated them in battle. Of course.

dliyObT.jpg

Then we beat their army again and...

IKqo1Og.jpg

... that's a nice lake there.

Ko1Dp9k.jpg

Q3306N2.jpg

I decided to vassalize Djerid in order to preserve their colour traditions. Also, they know the desert and they will certainly help us in the future.

W7orvIY.jpg

Actually I made a deal with the Emir... we would attack our neighbour's neighbours next. And give their lands to the Emir. And the neighbour's neighbours (also known as Mzab) were regarded as heretics... if you want to have a loyal vassal just feed him some heretics. How does the saying go? Conquer and unite. Or something. Anyway...

7XXZazc.jpg

... in the meantime, I also 'asked' the pope for some 'stability'...

xKaDY55.jpg

... Then we marched into Mzab and completely dominated... ehm... you know that...

4PU4dkW.jpg

... then we won...

DN0byNj.jpg

... and we spread the beautiful orange colour of Djerid! Conquer and unite!"

GAMF0Nl.jpg

Reactions:
Orlando is less concerned with inner troubles but more with 'vidi, vici', it seems. I doubt he's 'veni', but rather leaves that up to Alighieri. ;)

Actually I made a deal with the Emir... we would attack our neighbour's neighbours next. And give their lands to the Emir. And the neighbour's neighbours (also known as Mzab) were regarded as heretics... if you want to have a loyal vassal just feed him some heretics.

did Djerid take religious ideas? Most nations in the region do it, if you release them as vassal.. You can use them to let them convert the land from sunni to catholic, after forcing them into catholicism. And then grant 'm conquered provinces to lower liberty desire.

Need cossacks dlc though.

I'm loving this.

Thanks!

That travel report was rather matter-of-fact and straight to the point. Which does not mean that it was bad, of course :) Keep up the interesting AAR.

That's true, I had to keep it short because I don't want to deviate too much from gameplay (and gameplay-wise, exploring these two provinces is really nothing spectacular). In situations like these, I just add some pictures that can tell their own story :)

Orlando is less concerned with inner troubles but more with 'vidi, vici', it seems. I doubt he's 'veni', but rather leaves that up to Alighieri. ;)

Orlando is probably a villain. :p

did Djerid take religious ideas? Most nations in the region do it, if you release them as vassal.. You can use them to let them convert the land from sunni to catholic, after forcing them into catholicism. And then grant 'm conquered provinces to lower liberty desire.

Need cossacks dlc though.

I didn't check their ideas and I vassalized them directly, I don't reaaaaaaaally plan to expand in North Africa anytime soon. But once I do, I certainly want to feed them everything, yes. If they don't take religious ideas I can just keep their religion and convert the provinces after integration. It's not efficient but I'm not worrying about North Africa right now.

Chapter 8: Rivalries just happen

Marco Orlando (The Doge): "Signore de Rossi."

Borghese de Rossi (Inquisitor/Administrator): "Yes, Signore Orlando?"

Orlando: "Please make sure the following message reaches the Sultan of Tunis..."

EQykOJG.jpg

De Rossi: "Ehm... sure! If I may ask, what's the reason for this decision? Are you planning to expand into Tunisian territory?"

Orlando: "What? No... the desert is still our number one priority, of course. Anything else would be an unnecessary distraction. Tunis is not really a problem for us but they happen to be our neighbours, you know? Also they declared us as their rivals already. So we are now doing the same. Also, they are going to encounter our Condottieri."

Z8RdVtp.jpg

De Rossi: "I don't understand... what are we going to do?"

Orlando: "Well they are currently at war with Morocco... we're going to send our troops to help the Moroccans out. Alighieri is going to lead our army and..."

hVbmu0q.jpg

De Rossi: "The poet?"

Orlando: "??"

De Rossi: "Or is it the travel guide?"

Orlando: "The travel guide."

Orlando: "Anyway, so what are our troops going to do in Tunis? At first we are going to steal their sheep. And bring it to the Tajhari oasis. [evil laughter] Muhahahahahahaha!"

PX7qAGm.jpg

De Rossi: "Ehm... okay..."

Orlando: "Then we are going to assist the Moroccans in battle. We will help them win while our army will of course... remain completely unscathed. Right?"

iSW2pqZ.jpg

De Rossi: "Oh... I'm sure that part will be easy to achieve."

Orlando: "After that, our completely intact army is going to chase down the rest of the Tunisian troops. Morocco will win the war... and we will have gained a lot of money and wool."

7DyZveN.jpg

wznellD.jpg

Orlando: "Apart from that, the Sultan of Morocco will be thankful because we helped him turn the war around."

XcDdin7.jpg

Reactions:
First we steal their sheep... then we steal their lives...then their lands...
And then Morocco.

Segni: "First, they want to me to stay in office for another term. Well I wanted to do that anyway..."
That line really got me attention. Great to read so far. :-D

This is great! Keep up the excellent work.

P.S. Blast those conniving Moroccans!

Thank you! As far as Morocco is concerned, they are doomed in this game... I'm not going to disclose why they are doomed or by whom, but it isn't looking great for them at the moment.

I chuckled.

Maybe :p

First we steal their sheep... then we steal their lives...then their lands...
And then Morocco.

I'd sure like to steal the gold in Morocco :p

Euhm... I think not, actually.

Well he should have been thankful but he clicked on the rival button. Those rival buttons...

Those ungrateful Morrocans! Kill their sheep! And then colonize more desert. Anyways, keep up the good work, great update!

Thanks! Colonizing is ongoing :)

That line really got me attention. Great to read so far. :-D

Why, what's special about this line? :)

Chapter 9: Think big

Juq2kiI.jpg

Agent [knocking on the door]

Marco Orlando (The Doge): "Ah, hello. I don't think we have met before... what's your name, Sir?"

Agent: "My name is Butrus Hakimi, I am a learned diplomat from Tripolitania and I have been sent to you by the Syndicate's Reputation Committee."

h6dgIcH.jpg

Orlando: "Hakimi? Wait... Wait... aren't you... You are the guy who is on my payroll for more than three years!"

Hakimi: "Oh yes... they wanted to send me to you back then... but then there were some obstacles... you know, the Reputation Committee is always very busy and they needed me for another task... now I'm here."

Orlando: "So are you bringing any further instructions?"

Hakimi: "No, actually I'm just here to advise you in diplomatic affairs. They haven't given me any instructions except for one simple sentence. That sentence is 'think big'.

Orlando: "Think big??"

Hakimi: "Yes, we have turned our very first colony into a beautiful little city and now is the time to establish ourselves as a regional power! The Syndicate thinks that now is the time to show the world our greatness. I mean... not all at once, of course... greatness can be best enjoyed in small doses! Right?"

Orlando: "So... was that the reason why they instructed me to sign an alliance with the Portuguese?"

f2zJTTj.jpg

Hakimi: "That's completely correct. So we weren't sure whether the ambitious Portuguese king would be a friend or an enemy... for now we're going with 'friend'. We are exploring the unknown lands, they are exploring the unknown lands. We want gold, they want gold. For now there is no reason not to cooperate. We can explore the vast lands and oceans together. Also, the Pope will appreciate it. Two Catholic countries banding together in order to 'spread the faith'... that's exactly what the Pope would want. By allying with the Portuguese, we will definitely increase our diplomatic standing in the whole Christian world."

Orlando: "But... why did our alliance with the Papal States break down shortly after that? It seems to make no sense..."

ce3NHDw.jpg

Hakimi: "A Florentine intrigue, most likely. The Florentine council would like to 'acquire' some of the Papal provinces in the Emilia Romagna region. I think they probably feel threatened by the temporal power of the Pope... and they might plan an attack in the future. I suspect there is some kind of double agent somewhere in the military of the Papal State... which would explain why in their most recent analysis of the situation, the Papal commanders came to the conclusion that 'in case of a conflict, the Sienese military is not to be trusted'. The Pope usually follows the military advice of his commanders... and so he agreed to dissolve our alliance."

Orlando: "That's sad."

Hakimi: "Well, our standing with the Papal States is still very good... we just cannot count on their help anymore in future wars. And there is the danger that the Florentines might try to drag us into a possible war on their side... let's hope it doesn't happen."

Orlando: "Oh yes... that would be really bad. Anyway, thank you for your explanations. Do you have any more recommendations for more... ehm... greatness?"

Hakimi: "I suppose you have already sent some settlers to the Djado valley?"

P7gcIoH.jpg

Orlando: "But of course I did! I'm aware that step two is to be completed as fast as possible. As we are speaking, the settlers are already down there in Djado cutting some trees... or whatever you cut in the desert..."

Hakimi: "Hmm... I might have a suggestion then... let us rename 'Sienese Tripolitania' into 'Sienese Maghreb'."

9GfxCwF.jpg

Orlando: "Sienese Maghreb?? But why?"

Hakimi: "It would further solidify our new standing as a regional power. 'Maghreb' is a word that defines a general area - its meaning being 'the West', while 'Tripolitania' is just a small region. Apart from that, it could improve our standing with the North Africans because the name indicates that we are natural claimants to the Maghreb region instead of... insane and illegitimate conquerors. Yes, we are simply one of the many states in history that have been claiming the Maghreb region and we are not more or less illegitimate than the other contenders. At least that's what people are supposed to think. Do you approve?"

Orlando: "Ehm... sure... if it does increase our reputation, it can only be a good thing."

Reactions: