• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dominion

Field Marshal
26 Badges
Jan 2, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
The run's going good and I thought I'd throw my first AAR in. Let's see how it goes.

In the 14th century, the Ayyubids rebuilt the castle of Hisn Kayfa, which at game start is the last region governed by a branch of the Ayyubid dynasty.

FeUYd58.jpg

We start our game looking east because west is death. Lots and lots of death. It's cadaverific.
A quick look around tells us that we're hated by everyone and everything except.

qz6HQEr.jpg

Dulkadir! My best friend ever since I found out they want to ally me.
Quickly grabbed the mission for AQ and got ready to make the white sheep a little more yellow.

0wmvnUL.jpg

Dulkadir quickly joins our side, a morale advisor is hired and we actually get to siege their capital with Dulkadir's help.

Level 3 forts are a pain early on. I never have enough FL. Thankfully Dulk is a nice ally and helps me.

And then fortuna decides to shower me

CAb9q58.jpg

3 wall breaches in a row :eek:

AQs army gets smashed quickly after the siege is won. Patiently waited in Dulkadir's capital until I arrived.
Aaaand we start worrying.

JYKcGTT.jpg

Quickly disperse to get the last provinces and look around.

chWXwlS.jpg

Ottos want one of these provinces. They really, really do. What to do, what to do.

IjsZNnX.jpg

Take it. All of it.
Sorry Dulkadir, but I will always remember you. Promise :)

On our way out we finish the mission to get Diyarbakir (only autonomy reduction per month though) and check what's in the store for us.
kxz0Xqv.jpg

OH BOY! DIP REP!
Could it.... could it be?

lW46xc3.jpg

Almost.
Got the royal marriage though, so I guess I can stay alive for now.

We had a few loans (3 ducats each) from our war. Let's take a single loan to get rid of all the others.

EQI5gLF.jpg

And squeal with joy again!

KJ7Dx2B.jpg

Married to the big boss in the west and the monster in the east is distracted.
Minors around us are immediately rivaled and we're ready to go.

Sam has no allies so I'll probably eat him next, but lurking in the future is the biggest horror of the early game: REBELS

Maybe I'll get the alliance soon. I could build a few troops and see if that's enough.

The options are endless. This is a game guided by fortuna herself.

Some great fortune indeed early on.

That's quite the early growth!

And the run to restore his Legacy continues! Now begins the fun part of early expansion.

Scary Aggressive Expansion and Rebels.

But our neighbours shall be of no concern for now. There are too few of them. Before they realize what happened most of them should be annexed with a start like that.

And it keeps getting better.

3d1TtwY.jpg

Come over my dearest friend, let me give you a hug and military access for the cheap, cheap price of +10 opinion.
4 years in and we got the alliance with the green monster.

And they're nice enough to give us money!

Provinces are revolting though. Our peaceful expansion with little to no genocide has angered peasants, copts, separatists, sometimes I feel like they don't want to be annexed.

Here they come!

MxtKDxW.jpg

Manpower is being drained, advisors have been fired and all forts were removed to save cash. I am really not in the mood for loans.
A few events for professionalism hit, but since our troops can't get any worse and we don't have manpower that we could lose they don't hurt at all.

And finally, after a harsh year in the Empire of Hisn Kayfa, we finish the last stack.

P4FGejH.jpg

We now have a massive army of 1015 troops. But they're fierce warriors and the next rebel uprising is far away. Time to stop paying them. They can sit around in our drylands and watch the sky. Loans will have to be repaid. At least corruption isn't a problem. Constantly moving towards legalism to invest those points to buy down corruption just to debase again a while later. Can't do that with loans and Hisn Kayfa will not run around begging to extend its loans!

After looking at all available neighbours and rivals - oh yea, we're big enough for rivals! - the gauntlet is being thrown at Trebizond (because they will get eclipsed soon and I want PP), as well as Imereti. Third slot stays empty for now because Georgia has no allies at all. Rivaling them would give a bonus for shared rivals with other nations and they might pick one up. Nobody wants to see that.

And the Ottoman Empire is enjoying themselves fighting Albania, Milan, Venice, Corfu and Naxus.

Which is why they haven't broken the alliance yet. 1k troops and no dip advisor any more, they should've annulled it long ago.

Another lucky break, giving the empire time to heal and grow.

Provinces are getting stated, Estated can get some influence and get milked for MP and loans are being paid down. Rebels have been surprisingly silent, letting our forces grow to a massive 5k.

Mil tech 4 achieved and being on two continents is nice for our age bonus. Aggressive Expansion reduction will come soon. Our European provinces are also spawning Renaissance, saving us hundreds of MP.

And then this happens.

dACS8j1.jpg

ONWARDS MY TROOPS! TO VICTORY!
Vassalizing Georgia and getting in a defensive war against QQ? With the Ottoman Empire having our back? Yes pleeaaase.

WHKL257.jpg

Faster to the capital! Winning the race! Fortuna oh dear, my beloved, kiss me.

52Fh793.jpg

What?

Turns out they have vassals who are quick to arrive.

Hmpf.

But no problem. Turn to the left and grab that lvl2 fort. I guess I did misplay it by not standing in Kars, but the unrest reduction for Oltu was important. Rebels are still a great danger and since the majority of the empire is mountains with lots of rivers it would be ridiculously risky to move away and attack into them later.

9 years in and it'll probably be a war for Kartli. At least reconquest against QQ will be nice.

First minor dent in a very beautiful opening. 3 more development for triple digits and a whole lot of provinces in the north to conquer.

And soon the black sheep will follow its white brother into the grave. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Interesting, I would love to do a Hisn Kayfa game but I think it's way too difficult for my skill. So I'll let someone else do it while I watch from the sidelines ;).

Let the rise continue!

There's going to be a few fun things here. Allying the Ottomans is almost like playing the Ottoman Empire if done right.

First things first: The rebel problem was never fixed, only a few hecklers got removed from the audience, but the horde's of unpatriotic scum aren't going to be silent for long.
This is going to bug the empire for at least another decade.

And Georgia's troops decide they've had it with this world and ended it all on their own terms.

JZjp1Vs.jpg

Stack is split in the screen because there's still this weird bug where if you split stacks and leave with one part of your troops you lose the siege. QQ is already sitting on the fort, ready to grab it.
Split troops before QQ arrived so I have at least something to unsiege my provinces in case things go south.

QQ's troops have also been given military access, which they immediately take since Georgia has troops in my lands. Only two possible outcomes. Either the black sheep comes over and chases them out of my lands or the enemy decides it's over and tries to unsiege.

Also due to the fact that their fort is in the mountains. Only level 1 though (I could have gotten it :( 2 days, 2 days too late, only 2 days :() but either way, they are dead.

Their separatists decide if that's what our king wants we should do the same and

ZrlJFnE.jpg

Leace my borders to siege down Imereti.

Did similar exports by placing troops into Erzurum and will do so a few times in this run. They can only go to Oltu, then Kars, then into a neighbour's provinces. They don't attack like headless chicken into -3 (mountains+crossing) anymore. Looks like they learned a few tricks.
Good for us either way. Let others deal with those vile creatures.

GxW5mqh.jpg

The siege is over, we put our troops into Kars. They already own Oltu so they won't run back in there and they can't go into cars, again because of modifiers.
And we have a winner of our "who are we going to kill" challenge! Dingdingding, Imereti, you should have averted your eyes. Georgia is MINE :mad:

gs6DNNt.jpg

And there goes our chance to end the run in 1454. Sadly, we couldn't vassalize and attack the eastern menace.
But we can still get Imereti.

wuCCzpQ.jpg

Hey, Otto, there are rebels in my southern provinces. And maybe get rid of Imereti as well? Thanks.
Waiting a few extra months before calling them in. One rebel stack did stir up a commotion in our south, but we want even more rebels to pop.

Being in a war with someone on your side means they will dedicate a stack to kill rebels in your nation.
Only one stack gets chosen though, so if you're Riga and allied to Muscovy and Navarra, tough luck if Navarra gets to be your rebel-removing-machine.

Ottos refuse to come though and a quick look tells us why.
They're at war with Venice! Out of all nations, the one that'll take the longest to defeat! Oh boy :mad:

No worries though. Rinse and repeat. Troops placed in Mardin and fingers crossed they don't randomly get interested in Urfa.

OiPNUMT.jpg

They shouldn't and they wouldn't. Enjoy cleaning up my rebels for me, QQ.
Downside is I have to sit in that province until they return from Yerevan and that's a looong time away.
Especially with their reluctance to kill rebels without delay. They always seem to ponder whether or not it is right to destroy life (hint: it is.) and Imereti is already creeping south.

No forts to stop them because our nation is defended by its people, not the garstly stone monuments other nations erect.
Also, forts are a waste of cash. Planning for defense only hinders your offense.

And another neat trick

otxJjT4.jpg

Not done on purpose, but good to keep in the back of your head because it can really turn early wars. When Georgia had its provinces taken away the only one available already had a lvl2 fort. So they got a lvl3 mountain fort.

Please Imereti, enjoy the scenery. You're going to be there for a loooooong time.

0aShEH8.jpg

This is one of the weirder things and I'm still not sure if it's WAD or a bug, but an occupied province will get the occupier's modifiers.
Meaning Georgia is an accepted culture, they have lower war exhaustion, they got stability, etc. Bringing Kars down to 6.3 unrest instead of 16.

Looks like our people welcome their new overlord. Good for us, delays their outbreak a bit. Precious time because the Ottoman empire is still touching minors inappropriately.

LNGcY69.jpg

How do you even have a claim? On anything? MINE! MINE! MINE! :mad:

But what do I hear? A commotion in the west?

zJnC2EB.jpg

The cavalry has arrived! Since we can't do anything there anyways, we are angry. Trebizond will be the target of our soldier's wrath.

They're allied with Theodoro, but that's okay. Finally able to take them on solo as well because our force limit is a sweet, sweet 10. Enough to siege level 3 forts.

Saves a good amount of cash as well. Our nation has been at least 1 unit over force limit the whole run so far.

And here comes the first little exploit of the new patch.

vAhzHvQ.jpg

I found it! I get to keep it!

Drilling your armies on max maintenance? Hah, it will cost almost 2 ducats to reinforce.
This is solved by moving the slider to 0.

Armies will still get reinforced, you're paying for full upkeep because they're being drilled, but reinforcements are free.
It's not much, but every little bit helps.

And during all of this, we are getting closer and closer to our desired level legalism.

6b0MgZp.jpg

Maximum Legalism :D

We're attacking Orthodox nations exclusively, pushing us heavily in that direction and we like it :)
All of its bonis are useful. Won't be able to convert much anyways, but an estates inquisitor has been hired earlier to convince at least a few provinces of the one true faith.
Legalism is definitely the more useful choice in single player for two reasons: Drawbacks associated with events are less severe than what a nation would get when picking mysticism aaaaaaand

It lets us get rid of our corruption. Constantly.

This will be done at least twice before the session is over and many many times throughout the game. Sometimes we'll debase just to get rid of corruption again, Free cash at the start? Sure! The empire wants it, the empire needs it.

Always sit at 100 legalism and if an event for extra legalism hits you can reduce corruption, go down to 50 and immediately get back to 60 or more. What a nice mechanic.

Sadly, the war takes its first real casualty. Our old monarch dies in the siege of Theodoro.

FnsKtAe.jpg

GIMME! :D

qZ11EmW.jpg

Almost too good to be true. The foolish Qara Qoyunlu think they can take all of them at once?

CznlE7U.jpg

QQ is still too powerful, even with that constellation, a Dow would be suicide.
Especially given the Mamluk's reputation. A herald told us they like to stop, drop and roll. Unless there's a fire. When there's a fire they just stop and burn.
An interesting philosophy, but nothing the great nation of Hisn Kayfe should think about.

qPo5ANx.jpg

We wrap up our wars, have paid off all loans, got Theodoro as a vassal, fully annexed Trebizond hoping that our force limit will be at least 12 because their province will spawn 10k stacks in mountains our troops can only reach through a river crossing. They'll be the bane of our empire's existence for a long time. But what it does do is block the Ottoman Empire in.

We don't want them to grow, we just want them to get rid of our neighbours, is that too much to ask for?

Crimea didn't take anything from Imereti, as expected, and we can feed our vassal a bit of land. Keeping those two loyal will keep our Sheikh up at night, but the people demand Lebensraum in the east and nobody's ever heard that idea going wrong.

Lots of negative events hit our nation, but in all fairness I can not complain. We're picking up corruption, get a stabhit, lose all professionalism and more, but it's okay. We wanted to repair our nation anyways right after smashing QQ, who are still preoccupied with the Mamluks.

But what's this?

6y9QUfb.jpg

Grrreat. Anizah would help.
Oh sultan, my sultan, why hath thou forsaken me.
The answer is: It would destabilize them.
Because attacking someone who has over 100 opinion of you nets you a stabhit.
Too bad they don't have that. QQ has improved and Ottos think highly of them, not the other way around. They could easily attack.

Never seen that one before, but I'll remember it. Nobody can attack you if you improve relations enough.
I just wish I could've learned it another time, right now we need the Ottoman Empire.

Or do we?

Let's ponder for a while.
Most rebels are killed, but will come back shortly, vassals are disloyal, loans have been paid off and QQ is fighting a war on two fronts.
We have also been able to rival them and power projection is always a nice thing to have.

Oh the decisions that have to be made.
Attack QQ solo, attack Mamluks with our friend's help or just sit around a bit and heal.

Let's see where our journey is taking us.

Last edited:
After careful consideration (I just realized he's craven and greedy. Should really start checking for that stuff earlier) the choice has been made. Boxing in the Ottomans is the top priority, expanding westwards comes second.

They are actually doing a good job of boxing them in themselves.
Al2DFWc.jpg

Counterclockwise, starting east: Peace with Venice, Ragusa and Wallachia guaranteed, Crimea allied, Theodoro is my vassal, Circassia is a tributary of Crimea, Georgia is my vassal and I'm their ally.

Dulkadir, Ramazan, Serbia and Moldavia are possible holes. If they call me in against Poland I'll just sit around and let them exhaust themselves.

Nobody tell them, but our final goal is to be the dominant power in the middle east. We can't have a rivaling power around us, especially not one that will get free claims on half our provinces and turn hostile in the blink of an eye.

lIHgBfY.jpg

After 1 whole year of doing nothing we're being rewarded with the knowledge that it was the right decision.
Our Sunni brothers have been punished, punished I say! They showed weakness where they shouldn't have. Mamluks were coming from the west, reinforcements had arrived and started sieging, but oh well.
More shias to kill for me, I guess.

For the next few years we'll be a mere spectator. The whole map develops surprisingly normal. The first time I've seen such a normal map actually.
No HRE monster, Poland not destroyed, England and France still in a stalemate, etc.
Feels nice.

IYSLHQP.jpg

We are now getting influenced by Osmanoglu, their subsidies have been cancelled though. +1 dip point is lovely. All those annexations without claims and land from non-co-belligerents did cost quite a lot and being behind in dip tech increases our vassals LD.

The best diplomacy is still a sword, but oh well.
Opinion is getting awfully low and our biggest AE block hasn't even come in yet. The Mamluks have to be attacked and 40% WS is the minimum expected.
Osmanoglu doesn't want my provinces, but my subject's provinces annoy him? Come on, don't do that.

Guess Georgia will have to be annexed. No reconquest of cores. They didn't have many anyways.

oQ50J8J.jpg

Ottos trying to expand anyways. Completely forgot that there's still nations they haven't taken yet. I kept them busy for a while.
We would love to get our hands on that, but it's turkish land. The AI always wants same-culture land, even a diplomat would kill us for taking that.
Then there's our royal marriage with them. A declaration of war would lower stability. Not a fan of that and not worth it. Guess they'll grow a bit.

There's a lovely plan hidden here, but it doesn't work with Candar or Caraman.

We can finally build our first building! A church will make our capital a nicer place. Every ducat counts because we can't rely on trade to the same extent as usual.
Ottos pull hard and pirating them would kill the alliance, but taking them heads on isn't possible. At least for now.

Which gives us time to look at what we have.
Traditions:
+10%
National tax modifier
−10% Shock damage received

Citadels and Fortresses

+20% Fort defense
Ancestral Heritage

+15% National manpower modifier
Righteousness of the Faith

+10% Morale of armies
Elite Warriors

+10% Cavalry combat ability
Rise of the Eagle

−15% Core-creation cost
Strengthen Central Authority

−10% Stability cost modifier
State Economics

+10% Goods produced modifier
Ambition:

+5% Discipline

A lot. A lot lot. Admin ideas got picked, first 2 ideas filled since we're doing some rapid early expansion. Quantity next because I want to get professionalism up asap. It will be needed midgame in case Ottos attack.
Always be remember to maybe not state+core everything or even leave some provinces completely uncored. Early Core-Creation-Cost reduction can save a lot.
I forgot, obviously. Wasting quite a few MP.
But hot damn, we are buffed.

2 more years pass, rebels are getting routed, Local Autonomy is being lowered, Georgia is not getting integrated for now. I still want that reconquest :mad: My stubbornness will kill me one day.

And then, on a cold winter morning, a herald arrives

ZbcvTR7.jpg

And we just won the game.

Why and how will come soon. It's a lovely little trick, but I'd be disappointed if I couldn't become a GP in the next two decades.

Last edited:
Excellent progress

And we just won the game.

Why and how will come soon. It's a lovely little trick, but I'd be disappointed if I couldn't become a GP in the next two decades.
Color me curious.

He will be raking in favors and use Otto as his bitch.
guesswho_slj.gif

First, the call to arms will not be accepted. It can stay open for... three months I think? I left it open for a bit less than two.
Means my armies can move in position, the enemies' armies won't siege me and most importantly: I can mark all of Dulkadir's provinces as vital interest.

Next our whole army sits on their puny lvl1 fort. Sieges earn war participation based on how many troops you have stationed. Need participation quick? Throw 50k infantry on a level2 fort.

After that's done we don't route the enemy. We run into him heads-on :cool:

Losses also increase your war participation and oh boy did we just lose that battle.
-3 on every roll means we deal no damage, higher base morale and the discipline advisor we hired means we can stay for longer and take more damage.

Even losing becomes a skill after you've done it enough times and I only ever lost battles to train that skill *cough*

k9m9wbi.jpg

Thank.You.

Can we peace out now?

Yes, yes we can.

We get Urfa for our troubles, Osmanoglu is a builder so he won't take anything.

And as a little bonus

Xt4KBu6.jpg

42 favors. Great start, but I need 80 trust to make sure they won't rival me.
Also need to continue watching their opinion of us. Below 0 is an autobreak for alliances.

Our armenien rebels get exported to QQ again and... yea, Trebizond starts being a pain.

A single 10k stack in mountains with river crossing. Guaranteed to pop up at least four more times.
Thankfully our general has earned +10% infantry combat ability, the best ability in the whole game.

Rebels get wiped, pop up again, get wiped again, it's a fun minigame. Reminds me of whack-a-mole.

Finally some time to breath, so let's put those favors to use.

2X3X1YH.jpg

QQ has warned us long ago, but they're rivaled to Mamluks so they won't help and Anziah is my ally+mamluks have bad dip rep, giving them enough reasons to deny the CtA.

VlXRjO2.jpg

AND THE WAR BEGINS!

I'm the one drilling his armies in the background. Need to be drilled when you wanna fight. Kars would probably be better for drilling. Nice scenery and all.

Jokes aside, these constant rebel attacks drain my manpower. I oftentimes come out of a wave with less than 2k units. Will need to hire mercs soon.

Osmanoglu will take coastal provinces for himself, but I already said my provinces of interest. I'll get what I want.
Always remember doing that before every single war. Even if it's 1on1. I can not stress enough how important provinces of interest are.

People keep forgetting about them at the start, ruining a few alliances maybe, but it's honestly one of the most important things in any war.

The war is mostly painless until the Sheikh's soldiers move one province too far.

1uao5kb.jpg

They're being sent home packing.

Our empire is still lacking manpower from all prior wars and QQ declared an interesting war.

Mamlukean troops are sieging down provinces, Ottos are almost equal in strength to them instead of clearly superior because we kept them down (oops) and we got more than enough warscore already. Not worth to waste more time sieging down one fort after another while our nation is being ruined.

We push on for a little bit until

un8qLxH.jpg

Not gonna let the troops get wiped out like that. It's time to make peace.

Our ruler dies, which is okay, we wanted his heir anyways.

But couldn't he wait until we declared on QQ? *sigh*

Wait, if our ruler's dead, isn't our rm with the Ottoman Empire...

TMPaG9w.jpg

Eh

Ehhhhh

"Keep Georgia for the reconquest".
"You want those cores."
"What's the worst that could happen."

Just kidding, I still got 30 favors from the war against Dulkadir.

Improve trust, improve relations, integrate Georgia.

And suddenly we're friends again.

tfT024Z.jpg

Meanwhile, in the west

aYehezt.jpg

Granada has fallen.

We welcome our brothers and take a look at the map.

8TJwOZX.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. If it wasn't for Poland expanding and Crimea eating Besarabia for some reason this would be my dream map. Haven't had one of those in a long time.

Portugal carefully treading onto the African stage, Castille conquering Grenada and defeating Agaron, France and England at a stalemate.
I'm a bit sad for Austria, who had claimed Bohemia's throne followed by claiming Hungary's throne, both without success.
Muscovy is expanding at a normal speed, Great Horde is still blocking them from attacking one of our direct neighbours, giving us more than enough time to prepare and there are still lots of HRE minors.

Thinking about allying Hungary to lock in the not-yet sick man of Europe even more, but I'd rather not waste a slot.

Was sitting at 5/4 and 6/4 relations for the longest time (who needs dip points?) and it started to eerily remind me of my saxony run where I never went below my relations limit after 1462. Most of the time I had twice the amount.

For now there's a regency I have to sit out and a few more rebels to kill, but the fun continues.

Last edited:
There are always rebels....

It feels like you are truly emerging now as the regional power-broker.

Thanks for the comments :)

Another quick look at our neighbour shows another reason why we're not dead yet: The Ottos chose an interesting mission

3cjbdHL.jpg

The black sheep continues being at war. If they could stay in for a few more years, just a few years, my heir will come of age shortly.

But of course

sNEwJ4Q.jpg

they don't.

They even lost. Our empire could've taken a huge bite out of them.

SZC9zHh.jpg

Some more rebels appear. Another reason why I wanted to declare. Osmanoglu would have tkaen care of them for me. I'm still tiny and weak :oops:
Should really invest in more advisors though, but what for. Our leader is godlike.
Forts got deleted again, obviously.

Renaissance is spreading nicely and our good friend Osmanoglu dies. And his heir iiiiiis *drumroll*

RCKtDrj.jpg

An administrator! The second best option after builder!

Explorer would've led to weird behavior including frozen armies and stuff, making it the worst trait right now. Militarist might have tried to kill us, though the alliance with Karaman - who have eaten Dulkadir just now - was possible and could have sufficed. Not that scared anymore, but our empire still needs them.

9aPFXPq.jpg

DINGDINGDING! Round two of "mark everything, take everything". Here the administrator will hurt us a little because he does take land in peacedeals even if it's marked.
However,

WJMekQh.jpg

We're faster to the scene. Every scene.
On top of that we get another fantastic battle with river crossing. Discipline advisor died sadly and we only got additional manpower.
Morale would've been better. We will need every milimeter of morale against those rebels.

37% war participation isn't too shabby. Our troops showed up that day and died like men.

3JVdyIk.jpg

A beautiful end to a beautiful series of events. Almost perfect declarations of war with only very little influence from my side.

Looking around though, there are few issues on the horizon.

Next up: Trouble in paradise - Boxing the boxer?

Excellent, but I imagine the Ottomans might get unhappy

Excellent, but I imagine the Ottomans might get unhappy

Only if Georgia continues existing. In the last screen I'm already halfway done.
Once those provinces are mine, we get their trust up to 80 and their ruler doesn't become a militarist they will stay happy forever :)

Last edited:
So far, so beautiful. Now, about those free provinces we just got

mmnrDvr.jpg

Right, they still give aggressive expansion. My advisors should have warned me of that.
Showing another reason why an alliance with the Ottomans is an absolute must have. Our neighbour and ally who receives only half the AE other nations do hates us about as much as nations we completely decimated.
Sometimes you just forget that Mamluks are Sunni and that you've been slaughtering your brethren for the past few years. It happens.
Water under the bridge, that was the old Hisn Kayfy, the new Hisn Kayfa is cute and cuddly so please stop detesting us.

Only 5 nations have sufficient aggressive feelings, one of them is allied to us and two others have a truce.
Not today, Mamluks, not today. You better be happy about that truce still being active.

9K58Z7z.jpg

Meanwhile Crimea expands eastwards. Not that we care. Any nation that isn't Muscovy is more than invited to take those provinces. Maybe eradicate a possible coalition member, will you?

And we see a huge Ajam we haven't noticed before. What happened in the Persian region?

obksFcS.jpg

Well this is just perfect. So many allies, so many provinces to take, not a single watchman protecting the region.
And that sweet Persian trade is ripe for the taking.

But before we can go there we need a path through Qara Qoyumlu.
And before that... rebels

Trebizond popping up again. We really need to build an amusement park in the mountains, give them some kind of distraction.
However, for the first time we could probably attack them before getting sieged down, preventing any further separatism and breaking the chain.

Manpower is at 0, as usual. Can't seem to find enough men to join the army. Time to build one or two barracks.
Workshops have already been built and churches are rarely worth the money. No need for prayers when all you really want to is squeezing the most out of your men.
Time to heal.

Or not

U7JasaG.jpg

Even if we could we wouldn't. Drilling is the more important activity. Free reinforcement can't come in today though. Rebels sitting at 90% means no drilling allowed.
Max morale is needed.

aUpmQtB.jpg

First guests arriving already. We even have fewer troops than them, but would you look at that

PH5LeEk.jpg

Come to my chest and give me a hug, brother. We're together in this war, you get rid of my rebels for me so I can help you :)

Time to recruit another inquisitor and convert a few more provinces.

KUpc7ky.jpg

As you can see in the screenshot the ruler of Hisn Kayfa is apparently illiterate o_O That's not an Inquisitor, that's a Theologian. Okay, -2 unrest it is.
Reading is hard

HOVaFRH.jpg

And the AI is still aiming for the weakest enemy first.

Please, Crimea is in the war too. Can't you hurt my rival? You walked past all their beautiful land.
And why must Trebizond be such a pain. Can't we all be friends?
Leave Hisn Kayfa alone.

vshbDKg.jpg

Our whole nation is imploding once again. In hindsight the war we got was the best thing that could've happened to us. Venice is easy, giving us both more than enough time to handle my rebels.
Not theirs though. Looks like the Ottoman Empire has finally realized who the more important nation is!

uDO5aRv.jpg

Slight Déjà vu, seeing a mere 5k soldiers sitting in Trebizond.

Money has run out as well. If we don't want to loan it's time for our soldier's favorite pasttime activity: Drilling without getting paid

rYvYhLH.jpg

That power, that elan, clearly a superior fighting force. All enemies will flee in terror once the Ottoman Empire has won the war without us.

A feeling of shame overcomes the Sheikh for a second, but he's only doing what's best for his country :oops:

z8KTfa2.jpg

We keep moving towards Legalism at a very fast pace oftentimes maxing it out before the 5 year cooldown for corruption reduction runs out.
On prior patches it was almost impossible to max out one side quickly and impossible to jump from one side to the other without going to war, but I feel like they've overdone it a bit.
We won't complain though. Our corruption is staying exactly between 0 and 2. If it's lower than 2 and we're maxed we debase before reducing corruption.

A very creative system our financial advisors have come up with here, but if it fuels the economy we won't complain.

Quantity ideas are being unlocked and another event for legalism fires.

okvhVnf.jpg

We might have invented the zero, but staring at it for another ten years will be strenous. Rebels are still coming in and every man is needed.
Quantity will help a lot here.
As a side effect of legalism we're also consistently staying above 60% loyalty with the Ulema who reward us with 20% increased tax income for it.
I don't see the downside.

Venice gets a love letter telling them they're now also at war with Milan, which is good for us because call for peace started and it only hurts our nation, none of the others.
We really don't need even more unrest, having just survived another wave of rebels.
A few men are being called in from the nobility, the merchants contribute to our economy and the Dhimmi are being squeezed for cash.
Might have been a bit reckless, seeing how our technology now gets delayed a bit, but we absolutely hate loans and never take any unless it's absolutely needed or the situation asks for a well timed bankruptcy. Our country isn't in need of either.

Sitting at 10% professionalism with lots of room for improvement and in 1484 we can finally breathe a bit lighter.

FQVQLpo.jpg

That'll get rid of "wants your provinces".
They only desire it if they're a militarist, other leaders can be swayed except when it comes to your subject's provinces. Now that they're ours Osmanoglu accepts our claim and our relations will not take as hard a hit as they did before.
The alliance is safe once again!

And only a little while later

LEIMWm1.jpg

19 favors!
One of the more recent changes was that a subject's contributions count towards your own war contribution.
A beautiful change, long overdue and I would love to send my gratitude to whoever did it.
Our subjects did great in the war. They probably died a lot, I don't see either of them having any army, but we will honor their sacrifice.

With another war.

Now come over here, you Mamlukian pest, you absolute and utter

af7kX6G.jpg

beautiful creature whom I don't want to hate me.

Remember Poland expanding a tiny bit earlier? It got a little lot. A lottle, you may say.

And their lottle expansion made them a lottle strong. Almost twice as strong as our green friends actually.
Mamluks are stronger than us as well. A war on two fronts is obviously suicide. We want rapid expansion, not long, drawn out with little to no gain.

Looking for support we see Muscovy having their eyes on them though.

g9AiHV3.jpg

Maybe, just maybe, at some point in the future, they will declare. If we declare first they will just jump them, we do not need to feed the northern tribes, we are hoping for them to support our cause by declaring first!
Won't happen though. Not with all those weak barbarians whose lands they also desire. Especially not since the devilish duo has more troops than Muscovy as well.

Ivan Rurikovich should feel ashamed.

To recapitulate, Circassia is still a tributary to Crimea who is still allied to the Ottoman empire. North is out of the question.
In the south our eternal foe floormat has found a passable ally and in the east is our ally.

The boxer has become the boxed. There's only one route to expand into.

And we've got just the mission for that

y7lYbN1.jpg

Hello neighbour.

We will finally meet.

Last edited:
Ah. Those Trebizond rebels are cute.

What a fantastic game ! You have come a long way in a short time. Amazing that you have blocked Ottoman access to the Mamluk !

What a fantastic game ! You have come a long way in a short time. Amazing that you have blocked Ottoman access to the Mamluk !
Thank you :)
I feel like provinces of interest, general POI mechanics, attitude managment and similar things are being used way too little. Many players focus on micro and nothing but micro.
Admittedly getting an Osmanoglu who is not a militarist twice in a row did play a huge part in how the game is going, but that isn't too rare on the current patch and even getting a single one suffices to expand properly. The alternative route would've been an alliance with the Mamluks and the whole thing in reverse.
Glad it didn't come to that. I'm getting tired of butting heads with the Ottomans and just came from a Saxony run where they got massive before I intervened.

But back to Hisn Kayfa, glorious land of glorious men who die like no other to please the future sick man of Europe.

A path is needed. A path to new lands. A path straight through the Black Sheep.

Step aside, kid. Hisn Kayfa takes the stage.

wxjqIiZ.jpg

With a little help from his friend :cool:

Forgot to mention age abilities until now.
First we took free war taxes. Always remember to enable them as soon as the war starts. We have a little bit of corruption so they're not completely free. 1 mil point will be spent.
A wise investment.

Here they come!

HoK9z5r.jpg

And there we go

QgpBogw.jpg

Our armies were still drilling until the start of the war. As soon as QQ's forces showed up at the border we checked travel times to provinces. They decided to enter from Oltu, giving us 3 days to react. More than enough time to make a tactical retreat forward.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

wWGl0Wp.jpg

Like an anthill. QQ got defeated by our ally early on and switched to the new, reworked, last resort mode.
Works a little bit differently but the outcome is the same. Free warscore if you know they're doing it.

Meanwhile I take care of sieging the land. Leaders have improved massively when it comes to coordinating their armies, but siege desire has suffered a bit. You should always have one or two 1k stacks following your main stacks to make sure the enemy is being sieged properly.

Did we hear someone knock?

UJZAeYx.jpg

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Have at it.
Our school becomes respected by the Ottomans. By now the risk of losing our alliance is gone.
God is great indeed.

One possible problem comes up after we've given Ajam access. We did improve relations by doing so and may improve them a bit more in the future to get an ally, but the fact that they're in the war means we probably won't get there in time to siege and vassalize Mazandaran.

Not only is the Persian trade tasty, but they'd also be a same-continent subject meaning we could core anything bordering them. Would allow our nation to dig into Persia a bit more.
Do we even need to? What was our original purpose again? Keeping focus is hard when so many wars are waiting to be fought.

A few more workshops for good measure.
And our peacedeal is ready.

2OCsC9h.jpg

Vassalization of Mazandaran was out of the question sadly.
The attentive reader may notice that we did not go for a bridge to any eastern nations.
The not so attentive leader of our nation didn't notice :rolleyes:
So much for our plan, oh well.

Tikrit gets added to the peacedeal and ducats are being extracted. Our sieges gave us enough participation to get a decent chunk.
Why do we want them? Because their theirs. Money should never be someone else's.

And we finished our mission!

qMK9vlI.jpg

And we... already got everything and can still take that mission? o_O

xx3Dsh9.jpg

I mean, sure, why not, let's take it.
Our Empire now has an additional 1 prestige per year, -5 years of seperatism for 10 years, 15 prestige, 50 admin points and 50 dip points.
The 25th August of 1489 will be remembered as a great day!

North is still out of the question, west as well, east has a truce (could have REALLY needed that landbridge :mad:), so... Mamluks?

So8igPW.jpg

Nope. Still allied to those pesky polish Hordes with their fancy horses, big army stacks, great economy, beautiful women.... where was I?

Right, we hate them. Screw Poland.

Oh well, we've got manpower now. Time to go to force limit again. Ottos call us into a very uninteresting war against Karaman's remains, giving us another shot at free provinces and favors.

Too bad our forces are still far away.

fHsOtCc.jpg

We didn't get there in time to occupy any provinces. The Sheikh is furious, but his mind is calmed after hearing about the 33 favors we got for putting 23.000 troops on a lvl1 fort.

He was really impressed by our ability to throw away human life. The sign of a great leader if I may add.

And with that being done we've come to a halt. North, east, south and west will not let us advance. Our nation is locked in until our truce with QQ is up.

Or is it?

Feel free to try figuring out how we're going to expand next :D

Last edited: