• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jun 27, 2022
I just got an event during a funeral that people started calling the person I was holding a funeral for (Alfred the Great’s sister) a saint, claiming that her body stayed perfectly preserved. Has anyone else gotten this event during a funeral?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just got an event during a funeral that people started calling the person I was holding a funeral for (Alfred the Great’s sister) a saint, claiming that her body stayed perfectly preserved. Has anyone else gotten this event during a funeral?
I haven’t seen this yet! I play slowly, and have only held one funeral (not a candidate for sainthood, heh). Did anything interesting occur afterwards (spoiler tag recommended)? It’ll be awhile before I am likely to bury a saintly character, given the traits of those in my court, including my heirs. We’re likely to be on another version of the game before I have a good candidate!

I haven’t seen this yet! I play slowly, and have only held one funeral (not a candidate for sainthood, heh). Did anything interesting occur afterwards (spoiler tag recommended)? It’ll be awhile before I am likely to bury a saintly character, given the traits of those in my court, including my heirs. We’re likely to be on another version of the game before I have a good candidate!
I looked at the event files for this. It doesn’t seem to be any particular way to make sure this fires. The decision on whether this fires starts at the start of the funeral.

There is an even that occurs when it is noticed that the body has been perfectly preserved. Either say it’s a miracle, or play devil’s advocate learning check. Being a op character Alfred, I chose the learning check. She was given the venerated trait, which boost legitimacy gain by 10%.

Reactions:
Yep, its kinda dumb theres no interaction with the pope, also weird you can deny your relative is a Saint
Well, it is kinda like folk saints/discouraging the worship. A saint is technically anyone who is in heaven, whether we know it or not, and like living people, we can ask them to pray/intercede for us; for this reason, the Catholic Church tolerates many folk saints. That said, there should also be a more formal canonization process.

Well, it is kinda like folk saints/discouraging the worship. A saint is technically anyone who is in heaven, whether we know it or not, and like living people, we can ask them to pray/intercede for us; for this reason, the Catholic Church tolerates many folk saints. That said, there should also be a more formal canonization process.
The in game reason pretty much matches up how some medieval people were deemed saints. Seemingly perfect preservation of body without embalming the body.

The in game reason pretty much matches up how some medieval people were deemed saints. Seemingly perfect preservation of body without embalming the body.
Eh, there were other ways. It is known to the Catholic Church that the body of a saint tends to be preserved, but the (formal) Canonization process has always involved some sort of confirmed miracle caused by the Saint's intercession.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah but theres no difference between a folk saint and papally approved one at the minute. Also as a ruler youd assume your body is always embalmed after death
Sometimes, that is not the case. Saint Olaf wasn’t embalmed. Yet his body was said to be in a perfect state even a year after death.