• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Metallo Barca. Does he have Finnish roots or something? :D
Haha, not that I know. :D
'Metallo' is so kewl, just don't let him lead any army!
At this point, his tenure as Suffete is over. At least for now. :p But army commander? Not likely with that military stat. ;)
Good consolidation of both Sicily and the African hinterland. Need to have those all nailed down and more integrated/ pacified by the time war with the barbarian Roman’s comes. Plans in the foreseeable future for more colonisation of Hispania? Or still a way off?
Right? Need to make sure your back is safe after all. :) At this point my AE was pretty high though, and in a not too far off future, those extra 20 AE came into play. So there might be slower expansion for a while...if circumstances allow it. ;)
One more step to subjugation and control of the hinterland in Africa.
It's for the best of the inhabitants!

Carthage definitely feels more secure in its power.

Carthage definitely feels more secure in its power.
Indeed. But the AE by this point was just low enough that my provinces stayed loyal. Sometime in the middle of the reign I will post in a minute, I suddenly gained the infamous extra 20 AE...

Reign of Suffete Bomical Bodona
Reign of Suffete Bomical Bodona

(285 – 280 BCE)

FQdYnjF.png

Bomical Bodona was a blessed orator and military commander.

By the ascension of Suffete Bomical Bodona, Ahirom Bodona had been a constant thorn in the side of the establishment for years, and even was suspected of murder of a Suffete. Even with the rise of one of his own, Ahirom Bodona did not shrink from his scheming. The Republic’s stability and security was at stake.

Beginning in 285 BCE, this neared its end. The Suffete began moving against his relative, undermining his powerbase and actively acting as a rival in every plausible way. In 283 BCE, Ahirom barely escaped an assassination attempt. Publicly accusing the Suffete of the attempt on his life, nothing could be proved. And then, in 281 BCE, he was found in his bathroom, bound with his throat slashed. No trace was found of his assassin, no proof could be found. But all suspected the Suffete was involved.

Other than these internal incidents, the reign of Bomical Bodona was peaceful. The Republic had a bad standing internationally and her foreign subjects were unruly. It was deemed a time best spent on internal development and consolidation. Only if attacked or threatened would Carthage go to war for the foreseeable future, the Senate decided.

In the recently annexed Musalmian territory, the Suffete officially gave his blessing for the funding of a new city in Tbessa, giving the new city tax reliefs for the next decade as a founding gift. He also continued the ongoing consolidation of the feudatories into provinces of the Republic, with the first steps of integrating Hadrametum, Leptis Minor, Thapsus and Achola started under Suffete Bodona.

A rather timely pause?

Sometimes you just gotta calm the farm ;). Ahirom reaped what he had sown - it had to happen eventually. Was it in fact the Suffete? Go on, you can tell us. ;)

A rather timely pause?
I guess so. :)
Sometimes you just gotta calm the farm ;). Ahirom reaped what he had sown - it had to happen eventually. Was it in fact the Suffete? Go on, you can tell us. ;)
Ah, well. When you rival a person, you get access to this nice little ambition called "assassinate".;) It was actually dire; my limit before starting a civil war was 20-21%, and he alone had over 18% power.

I'm in deep shit. After lowering army maintenance I have this showing up: I can't regain morale at all like this. Any idea what the lack of equipment means?
upload_2019-12-11_22-9-35.png

Figured it out. It's due to me going bankrupt.

Oh man, a sneak peek of the future:

The Second Punic-Roman War is one for the history books. :D Related to my question above. :D

Ahh, a little bankruptcy never hurt anyone - just ask the French and the Spanish :D

Ouch. Running out of gold is never good. Especially for a trading power such as Carthage. Hope there’s a reasonably straightforward way of getting out of debt open to you.

Ahh, a little bankruptcy never hurt anyone - just ask the French and the Spanish :D

Ouch. Running out of gold is never good. Especially for a trading power such as Carthage. Hope there’s a reasonably straightforward way of getting out of debt open to you.

Just wait until you see what kind of trouble it made. :D

Reign of Suffete Bodo Barca
Reign of Suffete Bodo Barca

(280 – 275 BCE)

W9qAX09.png

The new Suffete was an expert orator with outstanding charisma.

For the longest time, Carthage had been a power to be reckoned with in the Western Mediterranean. The last decades, Rome – a once insignificant tribe on the Italian peninsula – had grown into a power. Not a match for Carthage yet, but some Senators thought they might become one and should be stopped. The last few Suffetes had taken over not only Sicily but also the southern tip of this peninsula. People expected a clash – soon.

It did not come under Suffete Bodo Barca. Instead, to secure Carthage in her time of uncertainty due to high perceived threat amongst her neighbours and unruly newly conquered areas, he allied Rome instead.

If he had expected it to be a peaceful time with Rome secured as an ally, however, he was rudely awakened. Within a month, Rome went to war against her southern neighbours, and called Carthage into the conflict. Bodo sent an 18.000 men strong army to the front, but fate was not with Carthage. Their first battle was won easily enough, and the fortress laid to siege. Then came two big armies, bigger than the Carthagian army. And the second battle was lost thoroughly. The commander of the army was captured by the enemy, the entire army was gone.

eBA0LX0.png

The port of Elea soon after the second army arrived to start the siege.

Lesser men would settle there and then, but Bodo Barca was not a small man. He promptly ordered the raising of an even bigger army – this time 22.000 men strong, including elephants. The army was once more sent to capture land to be gained before Rome steamrolled all opposition. This time, things went better, and the fortress was captured with ease. Rome on her side had by this time taken over most of the remaining land areas, and the Suffete had got intel that they did not plan to award Carthage with this key fortress deep into Magna Graecia. He therefore signed a separate peace agreement with the enemy, gaining Carthage a foothold deep into the soon Roman territory; the port of Elea.

Closing in on the end of his term, and shortly after Rome annexed the remaining areas, Rome again called in Carthage to war in Magna Greacia. In an ironic twist, the enemies were Messapia and Syracuse, the latter having reformed recently on the toe of Magna Greacia from a rebellion in one of the small states there. The remaining elite of the fallen Syracuse had taken control of the rebellion and reinstated the city state – without the actual Syracuse. A curious situation which were now facing an early end as Roman and Carthagian armies moved towards their new enemies.

Rome as an ally is just so very wrong :)

Roma delenda est! Or however John Cleese acting as a centurion would conjugate it. :D That extra army-building must have ramped up the debt, even with a Civic party Suffete in power. Or did that occur later in the game?

Rome as an ally is just so very wrong :)
Was fun to try though. :) But in time we will ultimately clash. ;)
Roma delenda est! Or however John Cleese acting as a centurion would conjugate it. :D That extra army-building must have ramped up the debt, even with a Civic party Suffete in power. Or did that occur later in the game?
Rome will, in time, die. :D The economic problems started with a massive buildup I miscalculated 60 years down the line. :) I got in the red, got a lot of money due to a bad event that gave me money and some bad, bad penalties. And I missed the importance and declared war.:D

Reign of Suffete Tabnit Barca
Reign of Suffete Tabnit Barca

(275 – 270 BCE)

rSEqHvU.png

The new Suffete was an allround talented guy, except in the fields of battle – unfortunate for the tasks at hand.

The new Suffete, predicably another Barca, inherited another war from his predecessor. The war was led by Rome, and Rome would decide the division of the spoils if not the war dragged out and a separate peace could be reached. But Roman legions were quickly swarming the enemy lands, so the outcome seemed to be decided fast this time. The Suffete sent Carthagian armies from Sicily over the straits, and some border settlements were quickly taken. The Roman would at the end of hostilities annex it all, however, without leaving anything for Carthage.

When the war was over Rome almost immediately went to war in the north of their peninsula, again asking Carthage to help out. The Suffete accepted the call to arms, but no armies or navies were sent north. During the last few years a disturbing development had been seen, with the newly conquered provinces slowly losing loyalty and becoming hotbeds of dissent and unrest. The Senate and Suffete both feared a civil war might be on the horizon, and no troops could be spared. Besides, the enemy was merely some Gallic tribes, hardly worth the trouble when Rome probably would annex them anyways within short time.

eklqlLy.png

The biggest challenge for Carthage in a long time.

And so, the civil war ignited. On January 1st 271 BCE, Massylia, Corsica, Sicily and a lone city state on the coast between Africa and Iberia declared independence. Carthage was embroiled in a war bigger than any it had faced in decades. Suffete Tabnit Barca then deftly called on the help of Rome, who soon pressed the Sicilian and Italian rebels back. Meanwhile the Suffete concentrated on Massylia, soon slowly pressing the rebels back. By the time his term was at an end, Massylia was retaken, with Sicily and Italy being pressed back, while Corsica and the African city state for the moment untouched, but quaking.

Ooops, happened to me too the first few times I played Cartage, they didn't like my (corrupt) governors my new (100%?) tax rates, the very reasonable local policies, there were simply not accepting my enlightened rule.

Good on the game for not letting great powers blob completely unhindered - though bad for our Carthaginian heroes, of course. ;) After a pesky fight, things look like they are coming under control.