• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love the way that you call your armies "legions", it just sounds so supremely badass!

Great updates and great AAR. I once tried to play as the Northern Italians but got my ass handed to me because I didn't want to give up Anzio to the southern communists. Seeing how well you are doing though makes me want to give Northern Italy another try, even though I am not all enthusiastic about playing some authoritarian catholic theocracy!

Also, I am not sure if I read anything about any possible plans for some overseas possessions? Do you plan to try and take Libya, or Abyssinia, and create a new Italian colonial empire?

tZu5Tn8.png

Chapter Two: The Eighth Crusade
Episode XII - Operation Carthago
Pope Julius IV's Official War Anthem

It was not until March when Innitzer and Badoglio got to talk again. Pope retreated back to his secret church and didn't leave it until Christmas, when he returned to Vatican to spend holidays there, giving speech to Christians gathered on Piazza San Pietro every day from Christmas until New Year's Eve. And then he disappeared again. Innitzer spent rest of winter in War Council's headquarters, analyzing every report sent to him, every single piece of information provided by his informators.

"Marxists have nothing more to give."
, he called general Badoglio one night all of the sudden.

"Launch the Carthago."

Badoglio could not understand why Pope is doing all of it, but he was not destined to understand anyway. He was destined to lead Holy Warriors in battle, pursue Herr Innitzer's Will, for the Glory of God Himself.

Innitzer deemed time to finally be right: France was slowly losing any advantage on the Westfront, weather was not that much of a issue with arrival of spring, and also two new Legions - Seventeenth (Apulian) and Eighteenth (Calabrian) were finally ready to be deployed in Piemonte and join Badoglio's main force.

On 15th March's morning hell has broken loose. Italians focused all their might in piercing French defense in Alps in the centre. The first battle of Carthago Operation lasted for eighteen days, since Marxist were reinforcing defenders of Grenoble with divisions defending Savoia and Nice.

Wretched truth - France's inability of defending in two fronts - has been fully revealed. Innitzer was most pleased with Badoglio's exploits. French had nothing else to give after three months of Fall Blau in the northern France. Even if they have taken Rheims back, German forces penetrated Burgundy again and still posed a great threat in Wallonia.

Defenders of Alps were on their own. Against Pope Julius, his Holy Warriors, and the God.

Finally, on 4th April Grenoble has been captured and French defense penetrated - defenders were unable to catch the breath and Badoglio, according to Pope's will continued pilling the pressure. Legions from Northern Piemonte were ordered to attack Nestor Makhno's army in Chambery, and brave Legionnaires who seized Grenoble moved south to attack French naval base in Toulon.

1_InitialOffensive_zps20ddf95c.png

Commune's leadership was still shocked by scale of Italian offensive and - while it tried to react - Papists held initiative and wanted to put it to great use. On 14th March forces in Grenoble received reinforcements from southern Piemonte and cavalry legions - Lazio II and Umbria II - were dispatched to seize Toulon for good and cut Nice (and Marxists defending it) from supplies. In grand mountainous battle between general Vercellino and Makhno Italian prevailed and pushed demoralized French (mostly units routed from Grenoble) out of Savoia, to north and liberated Chambery.

On 25th April some of the French forces finally regrouped themselves and their leaders decided on further actions. Divisions in Nice were in grave danger and to save them from annihilation Marxists attacked Legions defending Toulon. Luckily, Badoglio had already ordered reinforcements and French counterattack has been stopped.

There was no hope to save defenders of Nice now. Remaining forces from southern Piemonte were sent there to cleave survivors and cleanse their sins in the name of God.

Innitzer went to Nice to congratulate to liberators of Nice in person.

"Your extraordinary dedication to our Holy Mission will be rewarded in Heaven! I wish other Crusaders will follow your example, for Marxist disease has to be exterminated at all cost!"

2_ChamberyNice_zps1b044464.png

After almost two months since start of Operation Carthago French finally came to conclusion that Italian force is not a bunch of misguided men with guns and fancy hats like during last Weltkrieg. The new, Papal force, although still using a bit outdated weapon and tactics, is enemy that can cause nearly as much grief as Reichswehr in Alsace-Lorraine and Belgium.

Their fanatical dedication to a cause - extermination of Communism - and loyalty to Pope Julius made them even more dangerous. Charging against their enemies recklessly, not knowing fear nor mercy, Papal Legions - eighteen on 11th May of 1940 - had nothing to do with former Italian Army.

It was Innitzer and his propaganda machine that finally turned misguided bunch into Holy Warriors worth fighting for His Glory.

France's situation in May was getting worse every second. Germans were still in close vicinity of Paris and Italian offensive literally paralyzed forces in Alps. It was only after 11th May when Nestor Makhno - main commander of Alpine forces - and other generals finally started cooperating to respond to Italian actions.

Morale among Papal Legions was literally reaching the Heaven. French, who five years ago would wipe the floor with Italian forces, now were suffering loss after loss at their hands.

"Every Marxist sent to Hell gets us closer to a final victory!" - Innitzer said in a radio speech after liberation of Nice - "However, we cannot be satisfied with our current victories! As long as there is at least one Marxist demon living in this planet we cannot step back, we cannot consider our Crusade victorious!" We cannot refrain from fighting until the demon spawn is eradicated!

"Never forgive! Never forget!"

Fin.

I guess it's easier since I have a lot of screenshots ready and I don't even have to start DH...anyway, let's keep going while I still have energy to!

@Ericafaq
Actually, surprisingly, Italian Federation has some events for a late game so there'll be stuff to do ;)

@Nein
Well, they usually do. But there are some other aspects of this war I dislike, mostly the fact that Kingdom of France / German Union (depending on who wins) usually have no units and it's easy to steamroll thru dem when you're fighting against victorious side :(

@Kaiser_Mobius
Well, Papa Innitzer certainly is a stylish man, he knows how to make Papacy look fabulous.

Fighting for Anzio is worthless, as you've said it usually ends your game instantly, better to abandon it. Live to fight another day, I guess ;)

To be absolutely honest I have no real idea too. Although first post states that my goal is to eradicate ALL communist states in game, but will I have a will to fight all of them...it remains to be seen ;)

Good, let's keep it going ;)

Last edited:
You will create a Papal france,if you beat them?

Western Rome, under God, is soon remade I see.:)

tZu5Tn8.png

Episode XIII - Eye for Eye, Teeth for Teeth!

Early victories in French front certainly were a shock for French and morale boost for Italians. "It is God himself who illuminates our path towards victory!" - Innitzer said in Rome on 10th May.

The same night he called general commander Pietro Badoglio, but contrary to his public speeches he was not so enthusiastic there.

"Watch out, General. Because they are watching."

"They?"

"The devils. Marxists devils. They might be weak, but they will not hold their back. Expect their strike soon."

Two days later Nestor Makhno, main French commander in Alps initiated counteroffensive. Commune's forces finally regrouped and attempted to stop Italian advance. Legions defending Toulon, even with support of liberators of Nice could not whitstand surprising counterattack. Badoglio ordered organized retreat to Nice and Avignon.

And contacted his overlord, Herr Innitzer, seeking the advice.

"Outplay them. Defeat a demon with his own tricks.", Innitzer answered and disconnected himself.

French forces which seized Toulon were probably attempting breakthrough via Nice and encirclement of all Italian Legions sitting on the French side of Alps.

Badoglio made a risky move and decided to ignore French advance along the coast and strike at the other side of front. At first he rained death upon Marxists stationed in Avignon, once a rightful possession of Pope. Makhno sent his units to prevent him from seizing city and directed more units there.

First annihilation in Nice, now in Toulon - it would mean a total defeat for French Commune!

"Well done. Wrench them up north.", said Innitzer during next call and left immediately.

While bulk of Badoglio's forces entered Papal city of Avignon and aimed for Marseille, Legions covering northern part of front finally moved forth. Marxist divisions in Valence and Bourg were neither in good condition nor numerous.

Makhno's counteroffensive was slowly ending.

Italian Legions could be stopped only for a three weeks. Papists regained initiative and pressed Atheists with their formidable strength. A cracks on supposedly unbreakable Red Shield could already be seen...

But even in war, even in greatest Holy War to ever be called by Popes God is not rewarding greedy and overconfident ones.

And Badoglio, excited by a series of great victories, was guilty of both.

On 23rd June British forces defending Marseille were routed from the city by Italian legions dispatched to Avignon. Badoglio, confident that French can be, again, trapped easily in Toulon sent Seventeenth (Apulia) Legion to seize city and cut off Marxists defending Toulon.

At the same time Makhno received some reinforcements and directed them to Valence, to stop Italian offensive, which - if successful - could potentially result in collapse of Alpine Front.

Badoglio decided to continue his risky gamble and continued offensive in both directions - northern (Valence offensive) and southern (encirclement of Toulon).

It was up to Legions in Avignon to protect Seventeenth Legion until Toulon is "cleansed from Marxist plague" (Innitzer, Rome, 20th June).

On 30th June Badoglio reported a decisive victory in Valence.

"Herr Innitzer, our glorious Legionnaires have crushed that Khazar Saracen Makhno and his slaves to pieces! We are ready to advance towards Paris itself!"

"Ah, my General...", Innitzer responded emptily - "...how novel."

"Oh, Herr Innitzer, are you not satisfied with exploits of your followers?"

"We just lost thirty thousands of them."

"..."

At the moment Badoglio entered Valence and started planning general offensive towards Paris, cradle of Red Menace. However, the thin line of two legions in Avignon could not hold French counterattack from forces west from Marseille.

At least Apulian Legionnaires did not go down gently.

"Praised be those who bother not with this fragile, material life and chosen to rejoice with God! Eye for Eye, Teeth for Teeth - we will go down with Communists if that is what Holy War takes!"

On 4th July French regained both Avignon and Marseille. Forces from Toulon safely retreated to west.

Marxists, although weakaned, still remained threat to Holy Army of Rome.

Fatal loss of Seventeenth Legion was like a bucket, or rather thousand buckets of ice cold water spilled on Badoglio and Italians heads. Legions were mainly successful, but war was far from being over - Innitzer urged Italian commanders to proceed more cautiously and avoid unnecessary risk.

Legions stopped for a few days again, Badoglio reorganized Legions fighting in Provence and ordered another offensive on Bastille Day, national holiday of French Commune.

Once more unto the breach! For all Marxists must be slained and delivered to Hell!

Communists indeed were slowly losing control over situation. Central Comitee had to call for "Total War" and conscript literally anyone able to hold a gun to replenish losses taken en masse. Germans and Italians might not have advanced far, but it was French who were already well out of main war material - cannon fodder.

On 21st July Legions entered Avignon again. That was only the beginning. On 22nd July Legions sitting on Rhone attempted to cross the river and thus fully break French lines. Badoglio himself led attack on Montpellier.

Capture of Montpellier would mean encirclement of Marseille - and what is the best place to avenge Seventeenth Legion if not the city where it was slaughtered?

Defenders of Rhone were able to whitstand Legions for a week only. On 28th July Montpellier has been seized and the next day Saint-Ettiene fell prey to Papists.

Makhno's situation was slowly getting really desperate.

And Badoglio knew it well.

Fin.
Now that might sound fun, but the reason I've stopped was that I started following whole Crimean crisis and damn I got scared as hell. I've spent last three days following BBC/Guardian live reports and Paradox thread about Ukraine.

Damn I've already seen myself as a poor cannon fodder conscript guy, sent alone to stop The Bear.

Yeah, I'm one messed up man...

@Nein
This could work, but I would have to enter war like in 1941 or something - and that could be too late even. Although that tactics works nice with Russia - if Germany defeats France and you defeat Germany afterwards, you can freely enter empty France and become Master of Puppets.

@Gukpa
Such plans remain Holy See's secrets, ones I cannot reveal yet ;)

@Julius Clonkus
That's pretty valid logic actually. We'll find a medal for ya or something.

@Blackoberst & v1989
Do not worry brethren, for a liberation will come to you all! One day. Well, I'm removing Marx right now, but one day everyone will get his share of Papal Freedom ;)

@Nikolai
This also remains to be seen. Damn I can't simply tell what plans do I have 'coz that'd make AAR useless. Just sit and wait ;)

BTW that was damn lot of comments, which is nice. I was simply paralyzed by Crimea a bit, but it seems to be off "potential military clash" route right now, so I came back to my senses. Expect more Herr Innitzer soooooooon!

Also, Davis is a Jan Mayen's Communist Party secret agent but don't tell anyone.

I guess it's natural to be worried, but if war didn't break out during the cold war, it wouldn't now.

It seems like the French AI is doing well despite the lack of manpower... :eek:

I'm merely commenting on what I percieve, my good man.;)

tZu5Tn8.png

Episode XIV - To Glory!

Year have passed since Marxist France issued a most blatant and outright wrong ultimatum to Germans. French demands were unjustified and French leaders reckless - obsessed with vision of taking revenge for a First Weltkrieg.

Marxists promised peace to a troubled French people, talking about great peace and prosperity which can be easily achieved by a fair and equal, Communist society.

Alas! Neither peace nor riches came to a French people. Only lies, treachery, poverty, and the worst of all - war.

War, which after a mere year was almost already lost. Germans occupied all territories from Pas de Calais to Burgundy, but they still could not afford a final punch, yet another capture of Paris and yer another conquest of France. On the southern front, the Papal Legions finally crossed Rhone and were preparing to deal a final, deadly blow there and eradicate Marxism from France.

How desperate Central Comitee was! Talking about total war, the people's duty, the foreign invasion...

First week of August saw last successful attempts of delaying German and Papal victory. Communists liberated Montpellier for a last time and moved to reinforce defenders of Marseille. Had forces in Marseille been destroyed, war would be over.

In the north Communists had no chance against combined German-Papal offensive. Both armies cooperated in Lyon operation, seeking to exterminate all French foces left.

Innitzer knew the time was right. Italians surely gained upper hand. It is no longer war against France - now it's a race against Kaiser...

"Crusaders! Victory of Eighth Crusade can already be seen on the horizon! At the end of this bloody trail the Ultimate Victory is awaiting! Holy Warriors and all the Christians I call upon you - it is time to make a final push and liberate our French brothers from the Red Nightmare!

Deus Vult! To Glory!"

General Commander of Alpine Front, Nestor Makhno, had tried his hardest to keep the frontline organized and oppose Papal advance. However, disastrous losses combined with lack of manpower were draining French morale everyday, rendering all attempts to stop Italians useless.

While Badoglio was dancing with French around Marseille - trying to trick his enemies into encirclement - Prince Amedeo d'Aosta was leading Italian offensive in Rhone. Although on paper Makhno had more divisions under his command, they were often demoralized and on a brink of destruction. On 21st August Fourth Legion captured Lyon - friendly German forces were estimated to be located just a few dozen kilometres from Papal positions.

On 1st September Badoglio and d'Aosta finally accomplished their ultimate goal - many French divisions from north and south were hoarded and encircled in Marseille and Pontalier. Makhno, who was locked with whole headquarters of Alpine Front in Pontalier commited suicide the same day, when reports about combined German-Papal assalt reached him. Most of high-ranked leaders followed the suit.

Pontalier surrendered next day. Prince d'Aosta informed Herr Innitzer about French surrender and thirty thousands soldiers captured.

"What should I do about them, Herr Innitzer?"

"Make them pay for they sins, Aosta...for No Absolution will be given to a Marxist scum in a thousand years..."

The same moment d'Aosta entered Pontalier, General Badoglio's Legions engaged French survivors in Marseille.

Innitzer's order was the same: "Legions should not be bothered with taking prisoners, as Communists can not be forgiven for their attempts to open Gates of Hell."

All the French divisions in Provence were routed into Marseille pocket, and Legions were already awaiting there to slay all enemies sighted. Marseille slaughter continued for a few days and effected in annihilation of fifteen French divisions total. With five destroyed in Pontalier, Red Hydra was pretty much defeated.

On 5th September the Alpine Front has officially collapsed. Makhno's sucessor, May Picqueray ordered general retreat of French Armed Forces to Paris, where "we will drag all enemies of worker class to hell with us". Realistically speaking however there was not much that could be saved from Alpine Front. After fall of Marseille French had only three divisions(!) in the south, from which one - Atlantic Wall Headquarters Guards Division* - was already deployed to Tulle to keep delaying inevitable collapse.

Collapse, that was already in motion.

Innitzer was delighted with great victory of Christians against Marxism. However, Crusade was far from being finished. There were still many kingdoms and republics in this land, where people were oppressed by their lawless rulers and were screaming for Holy Warriors help...

Fin.

@Nein
Another complain I have about KR - once they run outta manpower it's over. They could really use some total war events, masses of militias to stop stuff like capturing empty provinces. Same for Germany in case France wins :(

@Nikolai
Whether I am a good man...he. I highly doubt it. :D

@Patrick O'Harte
It seems that might be the most likely outcome. ;)

I guess it's pretty obvious France is defeated now, aye? What's next? Or maybe rather who's next?
Discuss!

Last edited:
French collapse in 1940?Just a few months later than it was IRL.Great offensive,Anjin.Medieval Avigon popes will proud you

You are shooting all the French prisoners? That isn't exactly a very christian thing to do! Methinks our current pope would have something to say to Herr Innitzer!

Anyways, good updates, any plans to march into Spain, and perhaps start forging your own authoritarian catholic geo-political bloc?

Good,now almost all southern France are under papal control!