[RESOURCE] Blank Map & Empty Vanilla Map TC Starting Points (V1.2.2)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HekateSIN

Private
2 Badges
Nov 25, 2020
  • Crusader Kings III
Edit: This is no longer up to date at all, and due to some conversion issues you're probably better of just using rewinged's old version, or making use of the replace_path functionality that got added by patch 1.4. @bombusfrigidus made an updated version, you can find it here :D

Hallo all, I've made an update to version 1.2.2 for @rewinged 's blank map (/threads/resource-nearly-blank-map-a-starting-point-for-tcs-v1-2.1414703/ [it won't let me post the full link]), as well as an alternate version that has the vanilla map put back in, where everything is impassible terain except Ireland, which is fully owned by the singular bookmark dude.

Thanks to rewinged for the original upload!

The vanilla map version still uses the same bookmark image as the single island one, so your bookmark screen will look wrong, but everywhere else the map is the vanilla one (in this version, thanks to @Mav12 for pointing out where the flat map file is). You can find these files in gfx\interface\bookmarks if you want to adjust them.

I can't guarantee the update went perfectly, I let software do it for me and took a quick look at the suggested changes. Let me know if something seems broken.

UPDATE: In the vanilla map version, there are more files in de map_data folder than required: you can remove all but default.map (for turning non-Ireland into impassable terrain) and geographical_regions.txt (for removing references to titles that no longer exist).

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Hallo all, I've made an update to version 1.2.2 for @rewinged 's blank map (/threads/resource-nearly-blank-map-a-starting-point-for-tcs-v1-2.1414703/ [it won't let me post the full link]), as well as an alternate version that has the vanilla map put back in, where everything is impassible terain except Ireland, which is fully owned by the singular bookmark dude.

Thanks to rewinged for the original upload!

The vanilla map version still uses the same bookmark image as the single island one, so your bookmark screen will look wrong, but everywhere else the map is the vanilla one (in this version, thanks to @Mav12 for pointing out where the flat map file is). You can find these files in gfx\interface\bookmarks if you want to adjust them.

I can't guarantee the update went perfectly, I let software do it for me and took a quick look at the suggested changes. Let me know if something seems broken.

Crashes all the time :(

Crashes all the time :(

I'm sorry to hear that. For me, neither of them crash when I start, and when I click around to test stuff, they don't either. Is it crashing after actual attempted play for a while? Because admittedly I didn't test that. Could be some events are only partially deleted.

Are there errors in \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\logs that seem related to what you were doing right before it crashed? The log is going to have a lot of errors related to missing localizations, but those can be ignored. (Not sure how familiar you are with CK3 modding, so not sure how much I can assume you already know.)

I'm sorry to hear that. For me, neither of them crash when I start, and when I click around to test stuff, they don't either. Is it crashing after actual attempted play for a while? Because admittedly I didn't test that. Could be some events are only partially deleted.

Are there errors in \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\logs that seem related to what you were doing right before it crashed? The log is going to have a lot of errors related to missing localizations, but those can be ignored. (Not sure how familiar you are with CK3 modding, so not sure how much I can assume you already know.)

It crashed right after the loading screen appears, so I cant even get to the main menu.
Now, I'm completely new to modding in CK3 so I dont know if this is the right file to look in, but in the error.log in /logs it sais this:

[13:16:31][dlc.cpp:347]: Invalid supported_version in file: mod/ugc_2227406359.mod line: 6
[13:16:31][dlc.cpp:347]: Invalid supported_version in file: mod/ugc_2241414907.mod line: 6
[13:16:31][dlc.cpp:347]: Invalid supported_version in file: mod/ugc_2252761320.mod line: 7
[13:16:33][pdx_assert.cpp:568]: Assertion failed: map_data/definition.csv has utf8-bom encoding. This file should be ANSI encoded and all names should be localization keys
[13:16:33][pdx_image_io.cpp:252]: Unable to parse image with format: [Bitmap, Palette, 4]
Supported formats:
[Bitmap, RGB, 24]
[Bitmap, Palette, 8]
[UInt16, Grayscale, 16]
[Bitmap, RGBA, 32]
[Bitmap, Grayscale, 8]
[Bitmap, RGB, 32]

[13:16:33][pdx_assert.cpp:568]: Assertion failed: Failed to read province image
[13:16:33][jomini_map.cpp:240]: Failed to read rivers image: map_data/rivers.png

Reactions:
It crashed right after the loading screen appears, so I cant even get to the main menu.
Now, I'm completely new to modding in CK3 so I dont know if this is the right file to look in, but in the error.log in /logs it sais this:

[13:16:31][dlc.cpp:347]: Invalid supported_version in file: mod/ugc_2227406359.mod line: 6
[13:16:31][dlc.cpp:347]: Invalid supported_version in file: mod/ugc_2241414907.mod line: 6
[13:16:31][dlc.cpp:347]: Invalid supported_version in file: mod/ugc_2252761320.mod line: 7
[13:16:33][pdx_assert.cpp:568]: Assertion failed: map_data/definition.csv has utf8-bom encoding. This file should be ANSI encoded and all names should be localization keys
[13:16:33][pdx_image_io.cpp:252]: Unable to parse image with format: [Bitmap, Palette, 4]
Supported formats:
[Bitmap, RGB, 24]
[Bitmap, Palette, 8]
[UInt16, Grayscale, 16]
[Bitmap, RGBA, 32]
[Bitmap, Grayscale, 8]
[Bitmap, RGB, 32]

[13:16:33][pdx_assert.cpp:568]: Assertion failed: Failed to read province image
[13:16:33][jomini_map.cpp:240]: Failed to read rivers image: map_data/rivers.png

That is rather odd. The problem is almost certainly that it can't load in the province & river image, but considering those work for me, I feel like those can't really be wrong.

Are you trying the version with the single island or the vanilla map? If the first, try the vanilla map one, seeing as those just use the vanilla province & rivers map.

It might also help to repair your game, make sure it's up to date, and make sure you're only loading this mod and nothing else.

Quick question, @HekateSIN, why do you have so many overwrites in the /common folder?

Quick question, @HekateSIN, why do you have so many overwrites in the /common folder?
Lots of files needed little adjustments to remove references to cultures, religions, and titles in them, as these are removed in preparation for total conversion, so there are just a lot of them.

(It is also possible some files had no changes from vanilla, but my merge/diff program for some reason thought there were. I admit I didn't check all the files myself, I just checked whether it didn't crash. If you find some files that have no differences, I can remove them. Although depending on how you do your modding, you'll probably apply these files to a copy of the full game folder anyway after downloading, in order to have all the files in one place (also if you're using Git so you can keep your files up to date). Anyway I don't expect this to be the case a lot, merging txt files is pretty easy for software so this probably went mostly correct.)

Also, your current packed heightmap isn't the same size as the regular map for some reason, so you can only edit the heightmap in the map editor inside a tiny square unless you replace it with the regular heightmap.

FINAL EDIT: Ok, this post was originally to ask why I couldn't load the blank map in the map editor. Seems everyone leaves out the most basic steps, which is how to turn a blank map into a MOD. I'm not dumb so I managed to figure it out, but it should be documented and isn't.

STEP 1: Download Blank Map template, extract it into a folder in the MOD directory of CK3.
STEP 2: Create a BlankMap.mod and Descriptor.mod file, place the first one in the MOD folder and the second one inside the BlankMap folder along with the contents of the ZIP file. You can copy any of the .mod files from other mods to see how this is done. The file in the MOD folder needs to have a PATH statement showing where the mod is.
STEP 3: Activate your new Map Mod. Then you can load the Map Editor without seeing EARTH yet again.

HOWEVER, after I've done this, I find that this particular template is still broken. I was able to use the older template from the other thread without crashing. (Final Final Edit LOL: Soooo apparently this got the older blamp map template to load. ONCE. You try loading it a second time (with ZERO changes) and it will crash) ..

This one's missing some key info that prevents it from loading.

EDIT #2 Crash Log

[11:43:32][dynasty.cpp:120]: Dynasty test_dynasty has no scripted valid source culture.
[11:43:32][landedtitlemanager.cpp:617]: Date 1.1.1. c_test_1 doesn't have a holder in history. All counties should have one.
[11:43:32][landedtitlemanager.cpp:617]: Date 1.1.1. c_test_2 doesn't have a holder in history. All counties should have one.
[11:43:32][landedtitlemanager.cpp:617]: Date 1.1.1. c_test_3 doesn't have a holder in history. All counties should have one.
[11:43:32][landedtitlemanager.cpp:617]: Date 1.1.1. c_test_4 doesn't have a holder in history. All counties should have one.
[11:43:32][scriptedcharacterdata.cpp:168]: No culture had a fulfilled trigger in HandleCulture
[11:43:32][courtier_guest_manager.cpp:251]: Errors when generating pool character config from template 'pool_repopulate_local_flavor' for ruler: Bleddyn b_test_7 of c_test_4 (Internal ID 11)
[11:43:32][dynasty.cpp:120]: Dynasty test_dynasty has no scripted valid source culture.

Last edited:
Also, your current packed heightmap isn't the same size as the regular map for some reason, so you can only edit the heightmap in the map editor inside a tiny square unless you replace it with the regular heightmap.
Oh, was this in the "vanilla map" version? Maybe I accidentally left in the heightmap of the single island one, my bad. Now that I look at it, probably the only files in map_data you need are default.map (for turning non-Ireland into impassable terrain) and geographical_regions.txt. (You may be able to tell I didn't actually get around to modding the map yet in my personal project, so I didn't notice.)

FINAL EDIT: Ok, this post was originally to ask why I couldn't load the blank map in the map editor. Seems everyone leaves out the most basic steps, which is how to turn a blank map into a MOD. I'm not dumb so I managed to figure it out, but it should be documented and isn't.

STEP 1: Download Blank Map template, extract it into a folder in the MOD directory of CK3.
STEP 2: Create a BlankMap.mod and Descriptor.mod file, place the first one in the MOD folder and the second one inside the BlankMap folder along with the contents of the ZIP file. You can copy any of the .mod files from other mods to see how this is done. The file in the MOD folder needs to have a PATH statement showing where the mod is.
STEP 3: Activate your new Map Mod. Then you can load the Map Editor without seeing EARTH yet again.

HOWEVER, after I've done this, I find that this particular template is still broken. I was able to use the older template from the other thread without crashing. (Final Final Edit LOL: Soooo apparently this got the older blamp map template to load. ONCE. You try loading it a second time (with ZERO changes) and it will crash) ..

This one's missing some key info that prevents it from loading.
Very frustrating that it keeps crashing! Not sure how that can be. To give you one of the most dreaded-by-programmers sentence in the English language, It Works For Me.
Looking at some of the errors though, maybe you could check the following:
  • Is the history/titles/000_k_test.txt file still there?
  • Did you change the start date in the bookmark to be 1.1.1 (aka before the dates in 000_k_test.txt?)
  • Is common/culture/cultures/000_test_culture.txt still there?
Other than that, just search all the code for the things it mentions, like pool_repopulate_local_flavor and hope you see something that doesn't make sense and that you can fix.

(Also, to adress your final edit statement, which was undoubtedly made in frustration but I'm gonna be a bit snarky anyway: I assumed that if someone is about to try a total conversion mod, that they know the bare basics of modding, yes. But power to you for your ambition, I genuinely wish you all the best.)

Last edited:
Very frustrating that it keeps crashing! Not sure how that can be. To give you one of the most dreaded-by-programmers sentence in the English language, It Works For Me.
Looking at some of the errors though, maybe you could check the following:
  • Is the history/titles/000_k_test.txt file still there?
  • Did you change the start date in the bookmark to be 1.1.1 (aka before the dates in 000_k_test.txt?)
  • Is common/culture/cultures/000_test_culture.txt still there?
Other than that, just search all the code for the things it mentions, like pool_repopulate_local_flavor and hope you see something that doesn't make sense and that you can fix.

(Also, to adress your final edit statement, which was undoubtedly made in frustration but I'm gonna be a bit snarky anyway: I assumed that if someone is about to try a total conversion mod, that they know the bare basics of modding, yes. But power to you for your ambition, I genuinely wish you all the best.)

Thanks. Will look at these things.

As for as jumping in head first.... It's been a while since I've done this kind of thing but I've done it before. I cut my programming teeth programming and debugging in C on old Diku/MERC/ROM muds. .. wrote a basic mud from the ground up in C only borrowing sockets code from another source (since sockets never made sense to me)... Then in the early days of Android (Froyo/Gingerbread) I dove head first and learned how to hack the Java "smali" code to create custom ROMs ...

That said, I'm actually an English teacher and it always takes time for me to wrap my brain around a new project... I haven't done programming of any kind now for about 8 years... the scripting language itself looks simple enough, just have to learn where everything goes. And get out of the "haven't programmed in 8 years" brain fog. So I may sound like a noob but I usually can figure things out once I get a hook into it.

Thanks. Will look at these things.

As for as jumping in head first.... It's been a while since I've done this kind of thing but I've done it before. I cut my programming teeth programming and debugging in C on old Diku/MERC/ROM muds. .. wrote a basic mud from the ground up in C only borrowing sockets code from another source (since sockets never made sense to me)... Then in the early days of Android (Froyo/Gingerbread) I dove head first and learned how to hack the Java "smali" code to create custom ROMs ...

That said, I'm actually an English teacher and it always takes time for me to wrap my brain around a new project... I haven't done programming of any kind now for about 8 years... the scripting language itself looks simple enough, just have to learn where everything goes. And get out of the "haven't programmed in 8 years" brain fog. So I may sound like a noob but I usually can figure things out once I get a hook into it.
I program for a living, but that doesn't inoculate me against sounding like a noob every once in a while either. Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the resource, Hekate! I ran with this and set up a couple changes: prettier English localization, culture, religion, and fewer extraneous files.

I'm guessing the upload below will create the same issues for some users as yours did, but it does work for me as of 1.4.2 on Windows w/ Steam.

via Google Drive
via GitHub

I'll follow your example and post another thread for easier reading. Glad to handle this another way if anyone thinks of a cleaner approach.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the resource, Hekate! I ran with this and set up a couple changes: prettier English localization, culture, religion, and fewer extraneous files.

I'm guessing the upload below will create the same issues for some users as yours did, but it does work for me as of 1.4.2 on Windows w/ Steam.

via Google Drive
via GitHub

I'll follow your example and post another thread for easier reading. Glad to handle this another way if anyone thinks of a cleaner approach.
That's great, glad someone was able to build on it! I'll edit the description, and I'll put in a link to the new thread when you've made it :)