• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone!
I had the CTD on start of singleplayer problem, and found this old Fix.

I also had trouble on startup when I clicked on the "singleplayer" button.

But after I added a "province textures" folder in "\Steam\SteamApps\common\Europa Universalis Rome\map" it worked;)

Hope it's helpful to others with the same issue:)

uTOYE5YNEPkd.png

This works perfectly. I think the Problem is ,that the engine isn't able to create the province_textures (Underscore is important) folder. This one is needed to create the textures for the provinces. No textures -> CTD

So the for me worked the following installation:

• Install gold form Steam.
  • update to beta patch Vae Victis 2.36b BETA.
  • Start game, start singleplayer, resign
  • Copy unzip Mod into "/mod" folder in game root
  • delete "/map/cache"
  • start game using "RomeGame.exe -mod Reign of the Ancients" as admin in command line
  • (don't start singleplayer), exit
  • add an empty "province_textures" to the "map/cache" folder
  • start the game, start a singleplayer, mod working Texture are correct.
  • (optional) update to 2.36c

This can probably done with even less steps.

Hi everyone!
I had the CTD on start of singleplayer problem, and found this old Fix.

This works perfectly. I think the Problem is ,that the engine isn't able to create the province_textures (Underscore is important) folder. This one is needed to create the textures for the provinces. No textures -> CTD

So the for me worked the following installation:

• Install gold form Steam.
  • update to beta patch Vae Victis 2.36b BETA.
  • Start game, start singleplayer, resign
  • Copy unzip Mod into "/mod" folder in game root
  • delete "/map/cache"
  • start game using "RomeGame.exe -mod Reign of the Ancients" as admin in command line
  • (don't start singleplayer), exit
  • add an empty "province_textures" to the "map/cache" folder
  • start the game, start a singleplayer, mod working Texture are correct.
  • (optional) update to 2.36c

This can probably done with even less steps.
Thanks! Works for me.

Idk if this is a bug but appointing someone as Governor (Nomarch as Monarcy) doesn't remove the 'Unemployed' title so Governor doesn't count as a Title somehow.

However Mod file (Titles.txt) suggests otherwise .. So idk why it doesn't work?

You can give Minor Office titles but they are limited.. so..

Listen carefully to me, because I know that some people are still trying to run this AMAZING mod without success.
I have played this game and Reign of the Ancients for hundreds of hours. The mod really makes EU:Rome 1000 times better and much more complex.

After playing this mod, I completely ignored all my other games about Rome and even refunded newer games set in the ancient era. It is that good.

Now, running Reign of the Ancients smoothly has been a real nightmare. I have lost countless playthroughs because of crashes or constant glitches.
The instructions posted for the installation are very vague and nobody has ever given a clear answer in this forum.
I followed several instructions but they didn't work in the long term or made the game crash right on startup, so they are wrong.

Here's what you have to do. Keep in mind that in my last game I have been playing until 597 avc (it means more than 100 years simulated) with Egypt:

• COMPLETELY DELETE EU:Rome from your pc
  • install it (I own the game on Steam) and create a copy of your EU:Rome folder on the desktop
  • install the 2.36c patch (search it within this forum). This patch is cumulative (it already includes 2.36b according to my knowledge) and you install it right by dropping all the files included in the rar zip into your EU:Rome main folder. After that, several files will be replaced with new ones that include fixes for crashes
  • it is a good idea to run the game once with this patch for few in game days
  • now you want to install the mod in the mod folder that you will find in your EU:Rome folder (again, just drop the mod files there)
  • BEFORE you play, delete all the paths that are present inside the map/cache folder + delete all the province textures inside the province_texture folder of your EU:Rome game (not those of the mod)
  • done, it is that easy. No need for "create new cache folder" or "move stuff here" or "run the game 15 times"
This is how I made the mod work and at this point it's not casual that has been working for me for over 100 in game years (and I have had only few crashes)

Things you need to know:
  1. this game has not been tested enough during its development. It can crash, a lot, especially if you don't have the patch installed
  2. when you appoint a governor, it will show it as unemployed. It is a bug but it seems there is a solution for it as discussed in this forum
  3. DON'T USE THE AUTOSAVE FEATURE if you can, instead save manually
  4. Keep track of civil wars, because this is the perfect situation for bugs to arise (for example you can find out that a country is at war with itself or at war with an ally after the civil war). This is the reason why many games crash at a certain date. If you find that a country is at war with itself, go into your save file and manually delete the war (again, search within this forum because there is a discussion about it)
  5. if your game starts crashing always at a certain date, barbarians may be causing problems. Try to keep an eye on what is happening in the game world, however I must say that Wiz partially fixed this problem by reducing the chance of barbarians spawning when a province is already under siege by rebels
  6. if you see visual glitches (for example the ledger or other interfaces are missing text or images), DELETE AGAIN THE CONTENT INSIDE THE MAP/CACHE/PROVINCE_FOLDER, in other words the province textures) or, if this does not work, reinstall again the game. These visual glitches have caused me a lot of problems, but just today I found out that reinstalling the game will fix this, because I have been playing for 2 more hours without any problem with my last game with Egypt (and boy, I was really giving up on it).
This was a very long post, sorry about that. I tried to be as precise as possible and I hope you will have a ton of fun with the game!

THis is what imperator rome should have been, a complete remake of this mod with element from CK2 (ck2 mode character interaction perhaps even better with, Rise to power mod) EU3 heck VICKy2 why not a combination from all paradox game with complete mod support (ai files and stuf)
the list goes on and on...

Hi again, I deleted my old post (however Rachmadi quoted it so you can still read it) for more information about Reign of the Ancient.

The mod will not crash at startup if you follow the instructions above, however in my last game with Cimmeria I was not able to complete the playthrough: random visual glitches appear around the year 700. More specifically, the background for certain contextual menus started disappearing for reasons that I don't understand (for example, the ledger showed up only text and numbers with no backgrounds, while the text for events included in the mod appeared in black).
After this, the game became unstable (even corrupting my backup file when I tried to save it) and started to crash in the following months.

I have no explanation for the problem (and keep in mind, the same glitches have appeared using the Epigoni mod). *No, the game is not using more than 2 GB RAM.

Looking at the error log, it said something like "menu handlings cannot be created" and "cityview-bad file", in addition to "missing sounds" or "duplicate sounds". I have also noticed colonies disappearing after some decades and showing up again later, forts not calculating the right garrison amount and similar bugs.
I tried to find the problem by looking at the code and even removed the folder for the citiview screen (thinking it was the problem) without success.

Because I have seen this glitches even in the early game (however restarting the game would solve the issue), I don't think that the size of the save file is a problem.
By the way, if you want to reduce the size of the game file, just search on this forum "save file trimmer" and download EditPad to eliminate character's history.

While the mod may be one the best simulation of the ancient world (in terms of warfare), it is also unstable.
I hope that, one day, someone will visit this post and give a definitive solution for running this great mod without any problem.

• 1Like
Reactions: