Reason Project Caesar has more goods than Victoria 3?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No, all buildings can be automated, so the building would switch around its production from month to month, depending on what ores are available and what metals are needed.
PM automation is a global option, not per building. If you want it manual in general you have to have your smelters manual, in which case I think it’ll be much less annoying to build more of whichever type of smelter you need than to micro PMs of individual buildings.Vic 3 shows this; it’s much more annoying to manage production/demand for goods that are only produced as optional secondary PMs, since you have to tweak individual buildings one by one until you find equilibrium and the changes affect the other good the building can produce inversely.

currently we use one global setting for your country

• 1Like
Reactions:
PM automation is a global option, not per building. If you want it manual in general you have to have your smelters manual, in which case I think it’ll be much less annoying to build more of whichever type of smelter you need than to micro PMs of individual buildings.Vic 3 shows this; it’s much more annoying to manage production/demand for goods that are only produced as optional secondary PMs, since you have to tweak individual buildings one by one until you find equilibrium and the changes affect the other good the building can produce inversely.
You shouldn't use Victoria 3 as an example, though, because its economic simulation is completely different. In Caesar, you have stockpiles in markets, so you don't need to chase an equilibrium.
And in my example, I'd rather have a single building that can do multiple things as needed, than having to build 4 different buildings that have to be turned off when not needed.

Also I'm not sure if that comment refers to only being able to either have all buildings automated or no buildings automated, or if it means that you can set global default for new buildings to either automation or manual, since that's what the question Johan replied to was about.
It would be very strange if you had to stop automation for every single building when you want to make a single manual change to a building. It definitely shouldn't work like that.

Reactions:
You shouldn't use Victoria 3 as an example, though, because its economic simulation is completely different. In Caesar, you have stockpiles in markets, so you don't need to chase an equilibrium.
And in my example, I'd rather have a single building that can do multiple things as needed, than having to build 4 different buildings that have to be turned off when not needed.
You still have to find an equilibrium, stockpiles just mean that you have cushion so things are more resilient to temporary deficits. But you seem to think that the game is going to have a lot of short-term changes and manipulation and closing and reopening buildings, and my assumption is basically the opposite. And I think that if the gameplay is all about short-term reactions and temporary load balancing then the flexibility of PMs makes sense. But if the gameplay is about long-term balancing and planning and keeping up with demand over time then I think separate buildings are easier to manage and reason about.

Also I'm not sure if that comment refers to only being able to either have all buildings automated or no buildings automated, or if it means that you can set global default for new buildings to either automation or manual, since that's what the question Johan replied to was about.
It would be very strange if you had to stop automation for every single building when you want to make a single manual change to a building. It definitely shouldn't work like that.
That’s definitely possible, yeah.

I would have thought what characterise a building would be its output
I hope that it is not something like Vic3 buildings that have 2 separate but both useful outputs cause that's a bit of a hassle to balance usually, especially with fewer states.
BUT I can see a very good use case for changing the output of a building, namely if Ceu5ar has different goods for say small arms. I don't see why you would need to rebuild your entire arms manufacturing to switch from say a musket to a blunderbuss, so just upgrading your equipment with a, better version to replace it makes a lot of sense for a Production Method.
Ceu5ar also seems to have that luxury, seeing the large amount of different goods in the game, since, as said by others, a new good is not nearly as impactful to performance as it is for Vic3, which instead of using different goods for more advanced weapons instead abstracts that into larger production.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I hope that it is not something like Vic3 buildings that have 2 separate but both useful outputs cause that's a bit of a hassle to balance usually, especially with fewer states.
BUT I can see a very good use case for changing the output of a building, namely if Ceu5ar has different goods for say small arms. I don't see why you would need to rebuild your entire arms manufacturing to switch from say a musket to a blunderbuss, so just upgrading your equipment with a, better version to replace it makes a lot of sense for a Production Method.
Ceu5ar also seems to have that luxury, seeing the large amount of different goods in the game, since, as said by others, a new good is not nearly as impactful to performance as it is for Vic3, which instead of using different goods for more advanced weapons instead abstracts that into larger production.
Good point

Why for no reason? A building can only produce a certain amount with the number of workers it employs. It would make absolutely no sense if one level of tannery could produce 2 leather instead of 1 if you supply it with both 1 livestock and 1.5 wild game instead of just one of the input goods.

I also don't think we know if you can build multiple of the same building in the same location and then have each use a different production method.
Johan also mentioned this: "All buildings have at least one production method slot with one production method, but many have different methods in each slot, and there are plenty of buildings with multiple production method slots."
This is something I wonder too, could I have 2 tanneries in 1 location that I can specialize into two different methods? Or is it like the awkward system in Victoria 3 where you effectively specialize an entire state. I guess as Johan said it wont matter as you would always want to just have the most profitable method on anyway.