• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are OOBs really necessary? As in, without them I will suffer a lot more casualties?
Also, is there a way to enter provinces with a very low infrastructure?
OOB provide a way to organize your military, as well as some bonuses to the divisions in range of the respective HQs.
Corps Commander increases the chances a division in battle that is standing in reserve will move up to the front and start shooting (if there is frontage available).
Army Commander increases the org of its subordinate units.
Army Group Commander decreases the supply consumption of its subordinate units.
Theater Commander decreases the stacking penalties units suffer when too many are crammed into the battle.
And of course most special skills of commanders trickle don to the fighting division, albeit halving at every level of HQ.

Provinces with less than 2 base infra are impassible.

Are OOBs really necessary? As in, without them I will suffer a lot more casualties?

Also, is there a way to enter provinces with a very low infrastructure?

no, strictly speaking, they are not necessary. If you go to war without them, you "only" loose out on reinforcement bonuses, combat bonuses, reduced supply usage and reduced stacking penalties.

provinces with 1 or 0 infra are unpassable.

Why? Were French citizens under German occupation drafted into the Wehrmacht? Besides those that could claim German ancestry, that is.
There were some volunteer units later on, but nothing significant. Also manpower doesn't only describe guys with guns - it's also the whole chain behind the front. Significant parts of the non-frontline personell where non-german.

provinces with 1 or 0 infra are unpassable.
Not exactly, paras can also drop on one or zero infra provinces.

Technically true. Paras can airdrop into them, but then they cannot leave them again either, I think (never tried it, actually).

A province that is on the same continent, than your capital can never be overseas. Any other province is overseas if there's no land connection to your capital (straits count as land, zero/one infra not).

So you say for the UK every European province including its very own Gibraltar is overseas and carries the overseas penalty?

BTW this is the penalty I am talking about.
Code:
overseas = {
	local_manpower_modifier = -0.75		#75% penalty on manpower.
	local_leadership_modifier = -0.9	#75% on leadership.
}

So you say for the UK every European province including its very own Gibraltar is overseas and carries the overseas penalty?
Nope. Same continent provinces are never overseas. Different continent provinces are overseas, if there's no land connection.

Technically true. Paras can airdrop into them, but then they cannot leave them again either, I think (never tried it, actually).
They can leave, if the province they're leaving to isn't one/zero infra or occupied by a country you're at war with.

Nope. Same continent provinces are never overseas. Different continent provinces are overseas, if there's no land connection.

They can leave, if the province they're leaving to isn't one/zero infra or occupied by a country you're at war with.

oh. You learn something new every day.

Ok im thinking of getting this and all expansions my main problem is some of the numbers IRL Germany had 3 mil in Barbarossa from what ive seen from most people they usually only have 1.5 mil and it seems the USA manpower is rather low considering the nation will so many people. maybe im just trying to find a reason not to but another thing a German army of what was it i think it was 300k was in Stalin grad im pretty sure this game doesn't represent that am i just trying to be the historic guy or do these numbers make u guys think to.

Ok im thinking of getting this and all expansions my main problem is some of the numbers IRL Germany had 3 mil in Barbarossa from what ive seen from most people they usually only have 1.5 mil and it seems the USA manpower is rather low considering the nation will so many people. maybe im just trying to find a reason not to but another thing a German army of what was it i think it was 300k was in Stalin grad im pretty sure this game doesn't represent that am i just trying to be the historic guy or do these numbers make u guys think to.
Actually the numbers you see in HoI3 is not representative of all manpower in the army, only the front-line rifle soldiers that are exposed to combat and high rate of losses.

If a division loses all strength/manpower (rifle soldiers headcount in HoI3) it will still have it's support parts left, but not be able to fight at all. This is also why it's much cheaper to reinforce divisions up to strength then raise new ones.

The reason USA has such a low manpower is partially for balance, and partially since they historically had a very big "divisional slice" meaning the amount of non-combat / non-frontline personnel was very big (around 7:1 IIRC).

So a realistic US army of 5 million will in HoI3 perhaps be represented by 600k rifle soldier headcounts.

Last edited:
looks like you haven't regiestered the base game, only the expansions

if you have, go to forum help in the general forum

ű

That would be my question too.

Alex, are you playing with a mod, perhaps? In HPP, China is "overseas", as is Ireland for Germany.

Could someone please help me with airforces? Are there any good tutorials around?

no tutorials, but ask and ye shall receive.

Thanks. I'm having problems as Germany with preventing Allied bombings. I understood that interceptors help, but I don't know how to use them correctly. On top of that I have no idea how many of these I will need...

There are 2 kinds of fighter planes. You have interceptors and Multi-role (M/R).

Interceptors are short-range fighters designed to intercept any enemy plane you encounter. These are best used for aerial defense. I usually group them together in groups of 4, but you can use 3 just as well. As Germany, you need at least 2 such groups in West Germany. Place one in the Ruhr-area (Cologne, Frankfurt Am Main) to defend your Industrial area. The other one should be placed in Prague after you annex Czechoslovakia. One of the AI's favorite targets for strategic bombing is Leipzig. This group will be staying there until you have eliminated the UK.

you will need some more for the attack on Poland, and should keep building some as time goes by. At the very least, make sure to have 16 interceptors in total as the war begins. More is even better. You can never have too many fighters.

The other kind, M/R, are long-rang fighters and fighter/bombers (think Spitfire and Mustang). They are best used to attack enemies over their own airfield when it's outside the range of your interceptors. They are a bit more expensive to build, but they can fight a dogfight almost as well as an interceptor, while having superior ground attack stats. In a pinch, you can use these to supplement your bombers if you have to.

Now on to the mission types. Again, 2 varieties.
Air Superiority will give your fighters an order to stay over a selected area until you recall them or until they get chased off by enemy fighters. this will most likely be the best mission type early on. Use this if you don't have radar in the general vicinity.

Air Intercept, on the other hand, is used when you DO have radar within a 1-province range of your target area. In other words, if you want to use this mission to protect Cologne, you have to make sure to have radar no more than 1 province away from Cologne.
With Air Intercept, your fighters stay on the ground, until an enemy formation is spotted. they are then scrambled and send to attack the enemy planes. If you use this mission without radar, you will often arrive too late to stop them from bombing your factories or ground forces. If you have radar, this gives you a bonus in both time to get airborne and in the actual dogfight. Intercept is cheaper in terms of fuel usage, since you only consume large amounts when you are airborne.

How many M/R you need depends totally on your play style. They are generally only vital once you attack the Soviet Union, because of their greater range.

Last edited: