Quick Questions - Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, just one question. How do you actually win your first two wars at the start of the game as Brazil? I tried attacking and I lost. I tried defending the fronts, I also lost. My general keep taking only 2 battalions to fight enemy 5 battalions. I understand that there are multiple guides out there now, but they are still not much help. Please just help me win these two wars and I think I will get better understanding of the war system.
I also found this harder than I expected. My winning tactic was to raise a 3rd general (and of course all my conscripts). Having 2 generals advancing down south with one defending up north seemed to be enough.

Hello everyone! This is my first paradox game, and I really want to get into it. There is one game aspect that I simply don't understand. Everyone says that you should puppet other countries so they become part of your market. I don't understand what benefits you have if your country has market capital. For example, the British market includes a large number of countries; therefore, what advantages does the British Empire have as the market capital? If there is a need for grain on the British market, I can influence that price from Canada just the same. So what would be the point of having market capital and forcing other countries to join your market? Sorry if the question is stupid. This is my first time playing a game like this.
In the game (as in real life) there is more money to be made in industry than in farming, but you need the farmed materials to make the industrial goods. If you have a small backwards country join your market you are adding some agricultural/resource production into your market, giving your industry a few more goods which you use in factories to produce goods to sell back to them.

However as the previous person suggested your milage may vary as many countries don't build enough buildings and end up very backwards industrially. Subsistence farmers do produce a few goods, and buy a few simple goods, but not as much as you would like.

Does anyone have any good rules of thumb for which buildings to build and in what ratios for keeping particular interest groups dominant?

Some are obvious, like agriculture for landowners, barracks for armed forces and universities for the intelligentsia, but others are harder to figure out like the petite bourgeois. Also, what's a good ratio to aim for for the ones that need government buildings (like the armed forces and intelligentsia), in proportion to things like GDP or government expenses?
If you go to the pop menu you can hover to see the interest groups they are attracted to. The symbols show the top few. My mouse was near the blue circle.
1669893811512.png

petite bourgeois for example comes from shopkeepers (often from the buildings which come with trade routes).

I also found this harder than I expected. My winning tactic was to raise a 3rd general (and of course all my conscripts). Having 2 generals advancing down south with one defending up north seemed to be enough.
Thanks! I also found that naval invasion with the third general helps a lot. I still have no idea how to play this game, but hopefully will get better soon. It is even a struggle to stay as a great power as Brazil.

Hello there from Spain:

The problem with Skyscrapers (again, I guess):

- I fulfilled the conditions to build a Skyscraper in Hausaland, the capital of Sokoto.
- However, I cannot build it. I get the message "Insufficient resource quantity". There's no help tool or anything.

What am I missing?

1669939376900.png

Thanks! I also found that naval invasion with the third general helps a lot. I still have no idea how to play this game, but hopefully will get better soon. It is even a struggle to stay as a great power as Brazil.
Naval invasions are a way for a player to reliably create a new front and use their advantage in troops. Especially against minors in places like South America, you can easily overwhelm an AI's ability to manage large numbers of fronts because they don't have many generals. Then they will have to either suffer a front that is unopposed or return all divisions to HQ garrison where they can automatically apply to all fronts.

The same thing can be done to the player, which is why it's almost always a good idea to hire a few extra generals at game start and float more than you expect to need, with one at a higher rank than the others to manage the quantities you want to apply.

Brazil *can* win both wars overland by rolling and firing and rerolling generals a few times to get one with good traits (especially good morale traits), and then promoting that general to get more troops. The better general attacks and the worse general simply defends the second war until the first general is finished. But hiring a third general and naval invading is even easier.

Hello, just one question. How do you actually win your first two wars at the start of the game as Brazil? I tried attacking and I lost. I tried defending the fronts, I also lost. My general keep taking only 2 battalions to fight enemy 5 battalions. I understand that there are multiple guides out there now, but they are still not much help. Please just help me win these two wars and I think I will get better understanding of the war system.
Defend both fronts while you do conscription. When conscription is done, set fronts to advance

It took me several tries, but the most efficient way I found was to attack with the best general up north and defend with the other (I think it's the french one) in the south. The northern rebs have more number but they are kinda weak, the southern ones have a good general and better terrain. After some time, the southern rebs exhaust themselves and you can start attacking. Worked 100% of times for me.

Is there a trick to break off alliances between 2 AI countries? I'm playing Ecuador to Gran Colombia, and by the time I'm able to rise to monir power to declare an interest allowing me to make war to Venezuela, it's allied with Brazil.

- I fulfilled the conditions to build a Skyscraper in Hausaland, the capital of Sokoto.
- However, I cannot build it. I get the message "Insufficient resource quantity". There's no help tool or anything.
Are you maybe playing with mods or modified the game files in some way? skyscrapers are not limited by resources so the message is weird.

Assuming that dependents include children born, as I understand it, how long does it take for dependents to become non-dependents? In other words, how long does it take for them to "grow up"? I am curious what would be the implications of positive birth rate modifiers for workforce. Even with child labor legalized, I suspect that not all building types accept child labor or only accept them in different ratios compared to other building types, so it make me wonder about this.

Also, are there a way to check the dependents employed by a particular building? I cannot find them in Workforce tab of a building.

Ah! I'm using a mod, yes, "Heating expanded". May that be the reason?
I had a look at the mod and it isn't the reason. It is a bug in the vanilla game which only affects two states: Hausaland and Darfur. These two states have skyscrapers as an arable resource for some reason and this breaks the building. If I see it correctly this has not been reported yet, so it might be useful to make a bugreport.

For a new campaign, you can fix it by removing "bg_skyscraper" from map_data/state_regions/04_subsaharan_africa.txt and map_data/state_regions/03_north_africa.txt, but I don't know if it works for an existing save. Save game editing would work, but its risky.

Assuming that dependents include children born, as I understand it, how long does it take for dependents to become non-dependents? In other words, how long does it take for them to "grow up"? I am curious what would be the implications of positive birth rate modifiers for workforce. Even with child labor legalized, I suspect that not all building types accept child labor or only accept them in different ratios compared to other building types, so it make me wonder about this.

Also, are there a way to check the dependents employed by a particular building? I cannot find them in Workforce tab of a building.
I don't believe dependents count as "working pops" in the way you describe. You won't find them as "employees" of organized industries. Instead, dependents make supplementary income for the pop through "odd jobs" which is a big enough value to be meaningful but doesn't reach the point of employment.

As you increase child protections and take other political actions, the supplemental value of these "odd jobs" decrease, hopefully being replaced by actual employment positions for women or simply better pay for working men.

So the relevant question is "the fraction of your population that counts as workers" - this goes down when you abolish slavery, goes up when you enfranchise women.

Reactions:
Greetings everyone, I'm asking for your help to determine if what I've witnessed is a bug or something else. I'm not really sure what could have happened.

As Italy I've started colonizing Africa. After getting a foothold in the region of Congo, I've declared war and annexed Kongo, taking control of their province. A few months later I noticed that a decentralized country, Yaka, took control of that province of mine, but I received no notification as far as I'm aware.
A picture might help (on the left after annexing Kongo, on the right a few months later):
1.png

I'm pretty sure Yaka didn't start any diplomatic play or native surprising against me, but I would never have backed down anyway.

Can anyone explain to me what happened?

Reactions:
Greetings everyone, I'm asking for your help to determine if what I've witnessed is a bug or something else. I'm not really sure what could have happened.

As Italy I've started colonizing Africa. After getting a foothold in the region of Congo, I've declared war and annexed Kongo, taking control of their province. A few months later I noticed that a decentralized country, Yaka, took control of that province of mine, but I received no notification as far as I'm aware.
A picture might help (on the left after annexing Kongo, on the right a few months later):
View attachment 922471
I'm pretty sure Yaka didn't start any diplomatic play or native surprising against me, but I would never have backed down anyway.

Can anyone explain to me what happened?
I'd recommend a bug report. I don't know everything that could happen with yaka, but that sounds weird enough to me.

Of course it could just be that you missed a notification (I certainly miss enough of them), but that is just a different kind of bug IMO, and maybe they can add it to the list of critical notifications that jump in your face.

If I understand correctly, pops are born either workforce or dependents and stay that way. IE if a 10 000 pop has a 1% growth rate, and it's target ratio is 1/4 workforce, then every year they will gain 25 workforce and 75 dependents.
There is no simulation of population age in the game.

Reactions:
I'd recommend a bug report. I don't know everything that could happen with yaka, but that sounds weird enough to me.

Of course it could just be that you missed a notification (I certainly miss enough of them), but that is just a different kind of bug IMO, and maybe they can add it to the list of critical notifications that jump in your face.
I am still not 100% sure that it's a bug, that's why I'm asking here. I was hoping that somebody else could confirm this behaviour.

But if no-one else can help, then I will follow your advice and make a bug report.

I am still not 100% sure that it's a bug, that's why I'm asking here. I was hoping that somebody else could confirm this behaviour.

But if no-one else can help, then I will follow your advice and make a bug report.
If you were colonizing into their territory, they could start a native uprising play against you. It's horrifying how easy it is to not notice you're being wardecced as the subject of conquest (yes, native uprisings will conquer back adjacent states as goals).

However, you *should* have noticed going to war. If that didn't happen, I can't think of another mechanic that would have this result.

If you were colonizing into their territory, they could start a native uprising play against you. It's horrifying how easy it is to not notice you're being wardecced as the subject of conquest (yes, native uprisings will conquer back adjacent states as goals).

However, you *should* have noticed going to war. If that didn't happen, I can't think of another mechanic that would have this result.
I am aware of that, I've had a few native upsiring against me in other games.
Not 100% sure, but I don't think I had even started colonizing Yaka.