Question about Johan's speech on first update

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar90

First Lieutenant
86 Badges
Aug 23, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
@Johan just said that they are going to fix some things (including mercs) in first update (because release version is already finished and shipped to Steam), but i don't quite understand did he mean 1st day patch, or something that will come up later?

Where did he say that? Source?

At the end of today's dev clash stream.

@Johan just said that they are going to fix some things (including mercs) in first update (because release version is already finished and shipped to Steam), but i don't quite understand did he mean 1st day patch, or something that will come up later?

He meant first patch after release, which might also be a day one patch, but doesn't have to. In the end, noone really knows, except the devs, but I imagine it'll be coming during the first week after release for sure.

Hopefully!
Yeah I hope so too, but I'm fairly sure it will be a day one patch and here's my reasoning, they're still working on the game rn even though it has already been sent off to steam, it's not like they'll just be sitting around for 2 weeks doing nothing so they'll realise a day one patch and if there are any huge bugs that make themselves known they'll fix them the day after on Friday before the weekend but that's just my reasoning.

Well, the normal in the gaming industry is to start making a day 1 patch the moment the gold version is sent to Steam etc. So I'd say the chances for a day 1 patch is big from my experience with game dev. :) (I've tested games on a hobby basis for over a decade)

Yeah I hope so too, but I'm fairly sure it will be a day one patch and here's my reasoning, they're still working on the game rn even though it has already been sent off to steam, it's not like they'll just be sitting around for 2 weeks doing nothing so they'll realise a day one patch and if there are any huge bugs that make themselves known they'll fix them the day after on Friday before the weekend but that's just my reasoning.

Absolutely! It's my reasoning too. There is some uncertainty whether the patch will be ready by 25th April or not.

I think the purpose of the dev clashes, early game play videos, etc is to have list of things for day 1 patch. I could be wrong but to me it seems like that's the main purpose of the dev clashes.

From following Paradox for a while now and reading the general patch behaviour after larger updates I think the problem for a day 1 patch is not so much in getting the changes done, but to test them properly and make sure they don't brake anything. I do expect the changes Johan announced to come latest a week after release, possibly together with an array of emergency bugfixes.

From following Paradox for a while now and reading the general patch behaviour after larger updates I think the problem for a day 1 patch is not so much in getting the changes done, but to test them properly and make sure they don't brake anything. I do expect the changes Johan announced to come latest a week after release, possibly together with an array of emergency bugfixes.
This is different I think. Their patches after big updates are fixing bugs that players found after the release. Here I'm asking about the changes they've already making and bugs they already aware of.
If I understood Johan correctly, builds we see at the streams are already newer than gold version sent to steam, so why not? They have more than two weeks to test them out and release as day 1 patch so players could have better experience from the start. First impression is crucial for games and devs know it :)

I highly doubt its gonna be a day one patch. They are hardly gonna release to patches in a day. If they release one, it will be quick fix to bugs people encounter in the first day, or maybe 2-3 days if there arent any major issues that make the game unplayable (for some). So it will probably come in a week, or whenever they release a patch fixing all the issues of the first days.

Might be wrong and they might release it just at the same time they release the game, and then keep on with hotfixes as usual. But I doubt it. I think the patch will come with those first hotfix patches.

If I recall correctly, Eu4 had a small day 1 patch so it's not out of the question. I wouldn't expect much, but some bug fixes and tweaks to a few number can make a huge difference on the reception of the game. Anything more complex will have to wait after release.

I highly doubt its gonna be a day one patch. They are hardly gonna release to patches in a day. If they release one, it will be quick fix to bugs people encounter in the first day, or maybe 2-3 days if there arent any major issues that make the game unplayable (for some). So it will probably come in a week, or whenever they release a patch fixing all the issues of the first days.

Might be wrong and they might release it just at the same time they release the game, and then keep on with hotfixes as usual. But I doubt it. I think the patch will come with those first hotfix patches.
The norm for game companies is to make a day 1 patch, or rather day 0. I can all but guarantee it. But we regular customers won't see the gold version. As the patch will get released at the same time as the game. All companies do this.

So if I may ask a noob question: why do game companies have to send their gold version to Steam 2 weeks prior to the release date? Is it a requirement of Steam, as they need to check the game and distribute it to their servers, and things like that? Do Steam have to modify something in the files? And if it's taking so long (2 weeks) for the regular game, why can the patch be released almost instantly (at day 1)?

I'm just curious of why that practice exists in the first place!

Day 1 patches are pretty common.

So if I may ask a noob question: why do game companies have to send their gold version to Steam 2 weeks prior to the release date? Is it a requirement of Steam, as they need to check the game and distribute it to their servers, and things like that? Do Steam have to modify something in the files? And if it's taking so long (2 weeks) for the regular game, why can the patch be released almost instantly (at day 1)?

I do not know about Steam - I would like to know that reason too.
But usually other games are released also on CD/DVD/BluRay and it takes +/- 1 month for DVDs to be made and shipped stores.
Also, Microsoft and Sony do check games before they put in on their stores, if it works correctly and does not break anything (or something like that is their reason).

I'm pretty sure the patching of steam games is instant, or at very least, very quick. Valve does not do any checks, or at least, not substantial ones, and we know they don't because a bunch of people got banned from Modern Warfare 2 because Valve didn't properly certify the update files.

Steam (and probably every single store also) has a very harsh rules. They check your releases and if you don't send them the build in advance, they could refuse it and release would be delayed at least by 3 days. It is far better to release a buggy game than not release at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.