• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 4.4: I have yet to see a single pushback event. I have fought quite some battles with GER, but never seen any damaged province after combat...
<snip>
QUOTE]

Playing as Germany in SF, I have seen many damaged provinces after occupying them.

I've found that either TD's or S-P arts work very well in the "5th brigade" spot every well.

until they get the AA bug fixed I wont attach any AA to my divisions.

YES, most excellent post and well done for all the hard work u put into the statistics u have here.

What AA bug?

What AA bug?

i echo that, what aa bug? when ever i send in tac or cas for ground attack, if the unit has aa attached, i bug out as quickly as i can with my air force. aa attached to a division will tear apart my bomber.

<snip>
Personally I think this is a major flaw, since attacking divisions aren't even going to know exactly where the defending divisions boundaries are anyhow, so concentrating all of their firepower onto just one division is unrealistic. But that's the game mechanic and we're probably stuck with it :( Obviously, you can improve the odds by packing in more support brigades, but that's avoiding the point of a like-for-like comparison in total composition. It's also heading towards the realm of gamey mega-stacks :D

Actually, a division is going to be firing at the unit in front of it, possible two if splitting boundaries, but it will always be attacking the same unit(s). The exception to this being units that are surrounded, but even then the fire is spread out against all the opposing attackers. If attacking, the firepower would be focused on the point of attack. I don't know if that is how the game handles this, but I get the impression from reading here that the selection of targets is random each time.
BTW, whoever is doing it, quit with the calculus already. You're hurting my brain.:D

Finally caught up. Interesting stuff. I too appreciate the work you've done. Still, sometimes you set up units for the flavor, not just the stats.

I started to modify the Division_designer but i noticed that its kinda limited and made a new one based on the Hoi 3 WIKI Data
Features are:
a attacking and a defending Division to configure separate
Up to 5 Brigades each, all of em with separate tech years
Terain, Rivercrossing, amphibious landing and Forts with configurable level, Leaderskill for attacker and defender, and CA Bonus
Showing division stats before and after modification
finaly calculation of the Average hits per Hour for both divisions

i couldnt find any bugs yet but a few more eyes would be good

the excel file can be found here : http://www.mediafire.com/?ug1a1qbl8el8b88

The sheet is free to use, modify or publish, no permission needed.

English isnt my native language, so you might find all kinds of spelling errors but i guess itll do.

2xS

edit: New Version

Last edited:
2_X_S, I see that you have made a division designer for HOI3 . Actually, this is the tool I was looking for, however I can't download it since the link you have posted is no longer valid.
I was also wondering if you can you can update the tool to match FTM 3.05. Since patches may change stats, maybe you can make a VBA function that could scan inside HOI3 folder and files and update the stats, modifiers, formulas from there; in this way we allways have the latest values for stats/modifiers.
If you can't make these changes, I would appreciate if you can provide a valid download link of your old version, which can serve me as a reference when I will have the time and skills to improve it (just started HOI3).

Last edited:
while 3 inf+art looks good, i personly prefer 2 inf 2 art 1 aa/eng, reason is, that i can use 5 divisons to fight from 1 province and use the 10 frontage and bring more firepower to 1 fight.
3inf+art = 9 inf +3 art for 10 frontage, 2 inf+2 art (if i use only 4 brigades) = 10 inf 10 art
I had good resolts with that

What are people's thought on 2 x MOT, 1 x SP-ART and 1 x ENG - I use this as a mobile force, very much the first to reach a province, and face a counter-attack, or the first to keep the momentum going whether attacking a ciy or trying to get across a river.

Playing FTM 3.05

Last edited:
Quantitative Division Design and number of brigades in each division. TFH.

Hi

In Their Finest Hour (TFH) with the new armor level and piercing rating system it is probably even more important whether you choose to build few large divisions or build more but smaller divisions. I can't prove this point though. It is just a hunch.

I can think of six major effects that is influenced by the division sizes - "concentration of fire", "overwhelmed defenses", "armor level and piercing rating", "unified command", "flexibility" and "cannon fodder".

Concentration of fire
One large division will concentrate its fire on one target, where two smaller divisions might choose to fire at two targets.
Note that if the enemy is a single division this effect won't matter as both smaller divisions will have only one target to choose from anyway.

Overwhelmed defenses
In the case when the enemy doesn't fire evenly at your divisions some smaller divisions risk getting overwhelmed by enemy fire while other divisions have remaining "unspent" defensive capability.
This effect is probably most noticeable when the enemy has few but large divisions that might benefit from the "concentration of fire" advantage.

Division statistics (armor level and piercing rating in particular)
By the nature of armor level and piercing rating rules large divisions get their armor level and piercing rating as the maximum formed over more brigades than smaller divisions do. There will thus be a tendency for large divisions to have better armor level and piercing rating and higher combined arms bonus.

Unified command
The more brigades you can cram into each division the more brigades are under the command of your top generals. Large divisions tends to have better leadership this way.

Flexibility
On the other hand smaller divisions means more divisions which gives greater flexibility, for instance to perform flanking attacks.

Cannon fodder
Also important is the opportunity to vary division sizes to employ cannon fodder. Suppose you have two divisions each made up of one expensive brigade and two inexpensive brigades. Every shot fired at one of the divisions will cause about one third of the damage to the expensive brigade and two third to the inexpensive brigades. If the inexpensive brigades are really inexpensive you might instead split your divisions into four, two divisions each made up of one expensive and one inexpensive brigade and two divisions simply made up by one inexpensive brigade each. When the enemy targets your divisions at random half of the divisions don't even contain expensive brigades and for the two that do only half of the damage will be dealt to the expensive brigade (and the other half of the damage to the inexpensive brigade).
Let us label the configurations "EII + EII" and "EI + EI + I + I" respectively. By rule of thumb we get, in the first case the expensive (E) brigades take 1/3 of the damage and the inexpensive (I) brigades 2/3, in the second case the expensive (E) brigades take 1/4 of the damage and the inexpensive (I) brigades 3/4.
It is quite important, I think, to be aware of the cannon fodder effect so that you don't inadvertently use your expensive reconnaissance units as cannon fodder.

I've typed in some formulas in (programming language) F Sharp that I think can supplement the Division Designer spread sheet. The calculator example is here http://www.act-consult.net/rodhern/hoicalc/ . I will add some notes regarding the calculations / source code later.

Best regards
Rodhern

P.S. I have really very little idea if my formulas are correct. I am mostly just rambling.

Last edited:
This thread is almost 2 years old. Posting in old threads is not appropriate around here. Part of the problem is that the information in the thread is so out of date, it will derail discussion.

I'm going to close this thread. If you want to discussion division composition, feel free to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.