• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thecarlocarlone

Second Lieutenant
49 Badges
Apr 6, 2020
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
I've been thinking about this for a while:
In Stellaris you can find the rests of ancient civilizations, from fallen empires to ruined dyson spheres.

However you can reach that technologic level and build marvels and wonders.
You can build your own ring world, dyson sphere and such. You can reach the precursors in terms of technology and fleet powers, from Titans to Colossi. You can even make entire species in sinthetic forms, making them psionic or even change their genetic code in drastic ways.

But you can't make your own relics....

I would love to have an ascension perk that lets you research and craft your very own relic.
Bad starting precursor? RP reasons? this can solve both.

Having your empire truly specialized through relics could be really interesting too, especially if you can craft only one.
This will solve another problem, because after the mid-game, every empire will have basically the same tech, so instead of concentrating in a particular branch or using what you have, everyone will just take the stronger things and use that.
However since you can craft only a single relic, every empire will have different bonuses and will build different fleets based on that.

For example, militant isolationist fallen empires use mostly (if not all) kinetic weapons, yet no players will ever do something like that, because it has no reason to do so.

Reactions:
That would be like making your very own Leonardo da Vinci's portrait of Mona Lisa. You may paint a portrait of Mona Lisa, but it won't be Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa.

Your own relics are your buildings, ships, consumer goods, research etc. They will be relics to someone some day, in a few thousand years.

Reactions:
That would be like making your very own Leonardo da Vinci's portrait of Mona Lisa. You may paint a portrait of Mona Lisa, but it won't be Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa.

Your own relics are your buildings, ships, consumer goods, research etc. They will be relics to someone some day, in a few thousand years.

Well, yes. That's why I compared it to megastructure. I can't craft a broken megastructure, but I can make my own.
I know I can't craft the Cybrex's superforge, but maybe I can have a superforge myself.

I mean, I know that I can improve my alloy production, but every empire can do that. Wouldn't it be great to have more diversity in bonuses or techs?

There are however other solutions to archieve this outcome, for example letting the ascension perk to shape your empire.
Because right now, some ascension perks are so usefull and other so useless, that basically you only have to choose the order in which you should unlock them.
So maybe craftable relics are not what we need right now, after all some ascension perks can be RP as "crafted relics", however ascension perks could use a rework

• 1Like
Reactions: