Precursor built relics. Why can't I?

Precursor built relics. Why can't I?

• Hello Everyone, Today we've upgraded to the latest version of our forum software, bringing more features and better performance to the community. As always, we appreciate your bug reports and feedback, and you can post all of that here, as well as view the list of new features
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Thecarlocarlone

Private
1 Badges
Apr 6, 2020
  • Stellaris
I've been thinking about this for a while:
In Stellaris you can find the rests of ancient civilizations, from fallen empires to ruined dyson spheres.

However you can reach that technologic level and build marvels and wonders.
You can build your own ring world, dyson sphere and such. You can reach the precursors in terms of technology and fleet powers, from Titans to Colossi. You can even make entire species in sinthetic forms, making them psionic or even change their genetic code in drastic ways.

But you can't make your own relics....

I would love to have an ascension perk that lets you research and craft your very own relic.
Bad starting precursor? RP reasons? this can solve both.

Having your empire truly specialized through relics could be really interesting too, especially if you can craft only one.
This will solve another problem, because after the mid-game, every empire will have basically the same tech, so instead of concentrating in a particular branch or using what you have, everyone will just take the stronger things and use that.
However since you can craft only a single relic, every empire will have different bonuses and will build different fleets based on that.

For example, militant isolationist fallen empires use mostly (if not all) kinetic weapons, yet no players will ever do something like that, because it has no reason to do so.

Reactions:

Me_

Myself
74 Badges
Jan 14, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
That would be like making your very own Leonardo da Vinci's portrait of Mona Lisa. You may paint a portrait of Mona Lisa, but it won't be Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa.

Your own relics are your buildings, ships, consumer goods, research etc. They will be relics to someone some day, in a few thousand years.

Reactions:

Thecarlocarlone

Private
1 Badges
Apr 6, 2020
  • Stellaris
That would be like making your very own Leonardo da Vinci's portrait of Mona Lisa. You may paint a portrait of Mona Lisa, but it won't be Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa.

Your own relics are your buildings, ships, consumer goods, research etc. They will be relics to someone some day, in a few thousand years.

Well, yes. That's why I compared it to megastructure. I can't craft a broken megastructure, but I can make my own.
I know I can't craft the Cybrex's superforge, but maybe I can have a superforge myself.

I mean, I know that I can improve my alloy production, but every empire can do that. Wouldn't it be great to have more diversity in bonuses or techs?

There are however other solutions to archieve this outcome, for example letting the ascension perk to shape your empire.
Because right now, some ascension perks are so usefull and other so useless, that basically you only have to choose the order in which you should unlock them.
So maybe craftable relics are not what we need right now, after all some ascension perks can be RP as "crafted relics", however ascension perks could use a rework

• 1Like
Reactions: