• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Everything to the north of the Tethys when Pangea split.
Everything north of Panama (arguably thats a little too far south and doesn't belong to either Gondwana or Laurasia but I've already colonised it). The Bahamas and Greater but not Lesser Antilles. Greenland, but not Iceland.
Judea is arguably a province too far south, but the Pope decided otherwise. Basra is being left in Gondwanaland. Mountains around the edge of India are disputable territory. I'll probably grab a few more than I strictly should. I also haven't come to a decision on the mediterranean islands yet.
The province of Bali Lombok straddles the border, so I'll probably grab it. Borneo and Palawan are in, Phillipines and Taiwan are out. Japan is in.

Well I get the concept better now. Even more original and ambitious than Frank forts. Guess the conquest of Europe in particular - the central part of Laurasia - is going to keep you busy for a while.

Does your cavalry include mounted duck-billed dinosaurs by any chance ?

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Laurasians fight their way into Japan as the Holy War CB runs out. Somewhat unusually for my large scale conquest games there are only 3 wars in progress when it happens so not all that much extra to be grabbed at 1 BB.
EU3_72.gif

Also somewhat unusually there are quite a few targets for Nationalism. (France and the French minors)
EU3_73.gif

Nothing left to Imperial Ban, none of the Empire had shown any sign of giving me liberation CBs, I went Republican for the Imperialism CB, so the HRE had outlived its usefulness.
EU3_74.gif

The race for Gov 53 and 1 BB CBs completes 34 years ahead of time. Portugal is one of many exiles to the New World, Aragon and France are also here. Unfortunately for Portugal, it chose the wrong side of Panama, and its going to have to move again.
EU3_75.gif

The last colony completes, a few places hold out against the dominant culture. Portugal only has its capital left in North America right at the bottom of the map.
EU3_76.gif

Brittany and Prussia both refused to move their capitals and had to be completely annexed and then the non-capital provinces sold off to whoever would buy them. Some of them took a lot of diplomats before anyone would accept a free bit of Gondwanaland. It could have been complete about 5 years earlier otherwise.
South America at the end.
EU3_78.gif

Africa, Arabia and India. The third incarnation of Portugal in SE Africa.
EU3_79.gif

This is where England ended up. I force released Makassar from Brittany, and then tried to feed them the rest when calling them as allies, but only shifted a couple of provinces that way.
EU3_80.gif

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Laurasians fight their way into Japan as the Holy War CB runs out. Somewhat unusually for my large scale conquest games there are only 3 wars in progress when it happens so not all that much extra to be grabbed at 1 BB.
View attachment 1079949

Also somewhat unusually there are quite a few targets for Nationalism. (France and the French minors)
View attachment 1079950

Nothing left to Imperial Ban, none of the Empire had shown any sign of giving me liberation CBs, I went Republican for the Imperialism CB, so the HRE had outlived its usefulness.
View attachment 1079951
The race for Gov 53 and 1 BB CBs completes 34 years ahead of time. Portugal is one of many exiles to the New World, Aragon and France are also here. Unfortunately for Portugal, it chose the wrong side of Panama, and its going to have to move again.
View attachment 1079952
The last colony completes, a few places hold out against the dominant culture. Portugal only has its capital left in North America right at the bottom of the map.
View attachment 1079954

Brittany and Prussia both refused to move their capitals and had to be completely annexed and then the non-capital provinces sold off to whoever would buy them. Some of them took a lot of diplomats before anyone would accept a free bit of Gondwanaland. It could have been complete about 5 years earlier otherwise.
South America at the end.
View attachment 1079956

Africa, Arabia and India. The third incarnation of Portugal in SE Africa.
View attachment 1079959
This is where England ended up. I force released Makassar from Brittany, and then tried to feed them the rest when calling them as allies, but only shifted a couple of provinces that way.
View attachment 1079960

That game was inspired by continental drift, but what you're doing here to your (former) European neighbours works more like centrifugal force...

It all started as a simple experiment : how would Bohemia handle the consequences after guaranteeing both Granada and Luxembourg on day 1 ?

After all, nothing prevents Bohemia from making the most of these perks of being Emperor from the start - such as the second largest army in Europe, the ability to walk it through the HRE territory, and some other bonuses in terms of stability, prestige (which also helps keeping Papal influence as it seems), not to mention what you can get by passing imperial reforms. It compensates more than enough the fact that you're landlocked and not very rich in spite of 6 decent starting provinces - all weak points you can fix quite easily with the right strategy.

So, due to this peculiar position that looks so well-balanced between advantages and challenges, Bohemia has always been one of the countries I was most interested in playing (especially once I decided to edit its original map color, which I didn't find very appealing). On a side note, one of my best friends is Czech, and when I started playing EU3 a long time ago, Bohemia was one of my first games so I could send screenshots and entertain him about the fuss I was doing with his country...

The first wars against Burgundy and Castille didn't pose me any serious problem and got me some riche coastal provinces with 2 CoTs. Forcing a PU with Poland and opening a route to the Baltic and Russian territories was also part of my strategy, so that's what I did next. But I hadn't expected the real lucky, game-changing event : a PU with England (it's not so unlikely though. Henry V is bound to die young, and he often does shortly before or after becoming king, so if you have some ambitions in Western Europe, getting that RM with England can be a smart move). I also took advantage of the war with Poland to reduce Lithuanian power, take Kursk and put myself in pole position to fight the Golden Horde.

BOH1427PU.jpg

More wars against Castille led me to also conquer Portugal. In the East I used the Imperial ban CB to get access and cores in the Baltic sea at the expense of the Teutonic order, and started to build a fleet. Colonization opportunites were still very limited though, since I lacked a land connection between m coastal provinces and my capital. Until this happened...

BOH1483PUinh.jpg

Encouraged by the way things were turning out, I forced another PU with Hungary, collected some good vassals (a bit too much perhaps, but Norway, Scotland, Holland, Brittany and Naples were to prove quite helpful with their fleets in my future European wars)... and spent the next century doing the usual stuff of fighting hordes, crusading in the Middle East and North Africa... and more unusual for Bohemia : exploring and colonizing my way through the Atlantic ocean !

BOH1557hor.jpg

I met some complications in Central Asia with Ming, who was in a conqueror mood in this game, taking provinces in their peace deals with Kazakhstan, to the point they almost reached the Baltic Sea. Many spies were involved in making these provinces fall back to Steppe Nomads, and direct war against Ming was even necessary to dissuade them from coming back.

Other than that, I reached year 1600 telling myself this was really a pretty good game, with no serious issues that could prevent me from getting further...

BOH1599pol.jpg

EU3_MAP_BOH_1599.4.3_2.jpg

Last edited:
There were still a lot of Holy wars to fight and I knew I had to proceed with care if I wanted to maximize that CB before it expired. From this moment on I paid much more attention to details like BB management, or the pace of wars, occupation, peace deals and truces.

BOH1681PUinh.jpg

A new era began after the inheritance of Hungary. My wars around the world had left alive only American natives and a bunch of African and Asian countries (Aceh had done a great job at uniting South East Asia in this game, they owned about 30 provinces and had recovered from my single holy war against them, conquering what was left of Ming). My attention was mainly focused on Europe now. The only CBs available were Imperialism, Purge of Heresy and Reconquest (I had good diplomatic rulers and was collecting border disputes everywhere, for example that's how I got 4 provinces from Aragon for 0 BB).

But the real question was : what to do with the HRE ? Although the obvious and easy way would be to pass all Imperial Reforms and finish the game as a unified HRE, it was never my intention to do so. I was playing Bohemia, not some German country, and the cultural shift involved in the process felt rather nonsensical. So another plan was required...I had enjoyed being Emperor for a very long time, but I knew it had to come to an end sooner or later. The real question was when would be the right moment to do it...

When I felt the time had come, I started various wars against my main rivals Burgundy and Austria, as well as the Imperial electors who were not already my vassals. That way I occupied them all, and in the same month I made a peace deal with Burgundy as the Emperor, taking 8 provinces from them with the Imperial liberation CB, then switched to a Republican government, let occupied Austria become the new Emperor only for a few days... and dismantled the HRE before the non-core HRE provinces BB malus had a chance to kick in, as it would normally have at the end of the month.

BOH1741HREdis.jpg

I had to wait some 20 years more before I finally reached Gov Tech 53 with the ability to take the Revolutionary war NI. But with 60 years to go and a thorough management of these cheap CB wars, I was quite confident something good was going to happen...

At some point I occupied Austria again and for a very long time, because it was going to allow me to annex them entirely. Sweden was their ally and I let that siege go on for a while on a level 5 fort ... the city finally surrendered after 18.5 years !

BOH1786VastSiege.jpg

I carefully annexed my vassals every 10 years but I had to dump 2 of them in order to finish in time. The Papal State, reincarnated in Köln, was the last one to go in 1814. I had also finished my last war by then - against Creek in North America. But I waited until every province in the world was converted to catholicism in 1820.

BOH1820end.jpg

BOH1820pies.jpg

EU3_MAP_BOH_1820.12.16_1.jpg

And this is how what started as just another good game ended as my second WC. I learned a lot in this experience, and first of all, that WCs are much more feasible than I thought, even when you don't really plan them to begin with !

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've done a pretty similar WC game as Austria, just using the PUs the Austrian missions set up. I thought it looked on from your first post. I suspect any Western OPM can WC via pressed RM claims, but my normal rule house rule on PUs is to disallow pressing claims via RM. Spies have enough disadvantages that I allow them but rarely use them. My Ottoman WC is the only one where I made extensive use of them.
I regard 1760 as quite late for GOV 53. If you had built enough trade buildings, you would have at least doubled your trade income. Its effectively quadratic in TE so taking 145 to 200 is a doubling, plus it makes it easier to kick everyone else out of your CoTs and get closer to 95% rather than 30% from your monopolies. Trade 6 buildings are very profitable to spam to the point of 200 TE in a large empire. Using that cash to get GOV53 20 years earlier cuts at least 5 years off the time to finish a BB limited WC.

Reactions: