• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by stnylan
Since this is back up here I just thought I'd say that I finally finished reading this 4-5 days ago. Exceptionally good LD. Alas that I have no memory for actor's names so a good many of the jokes went straight over my head :(
Sorry, I have a love of films that often verges on the obscure. Some of the humour is locally based, some of it is based on recent events, and a lot of it based on the trials and tribulations of the various actors & actresses.

Thanks for reading, Stynlan. I hope a few others read and comment. The more the enthusiasm, the better chance of a sequel.

Trixie could be brought out of 'retirement', so to speak. ;)

I just made it to the infamous Christopher Walken commercial... If there ever was any doubt in my mind whether I would finish reading this tale, it has been banished for good...

Just picturing Christopher Walken, with his friendly-creepy face, uttering THOSE words in his trademark voice... <shudder>

Sir, this is just TOO wrong! :D

What was amazing in this story was that LD was able to keep the jokes coming so well for so long. I would try humor like that but doubt I could keep it up for a tenth as long as he did.

What a brilliant AAR. I think you should deffinatly fetch Trixie back.

It took me a week to read it all but it was worth it

Congrats on the OscAAR win (again) LD. Most well deserved! This was one of the funniest and well written AARs I have ever read on this forum. All of the nominees were extremely worthy, but there is no denying that this one had many people both in awe and in stitches! :D

Fantastic AAR! Maybe not 1005 understandable but definitely one of the funniest! It took me 2 weeks to read whole but it was worthy. This shortened my working days :) . LD, Oscaar is well deserved.

coz1 said:
Congrats on the OscAAR win (again) LD. Most well deserved! This was one of the funniest and well written AARs I have ever read on this forum. All of the nominees were extremely worthy, but there is no denying that this one had many people both in awe and in stitches! :D
I thank all of you. I had a blast experimenting with different styles of humour. Some people got it all, some didn't, but I'm sure there were enough around to vote it as Best AAR.

EDIT: With complete humility, I should note this AAR was voted Best of the Best for 2002-2003.

After reading and jeapordizing my job security due to excessive laughter in the workplace, I feel the need to dredge this up for anyone else who has joined these fora since LD completed this masterpiece.

Well done, LD, and please let us know when you decide to embark on your next humor project!

Vann

Thanks. Glad you liked it. Will I do another? Time permitting. I have to admit I'm getting the itch...

I've been busting your chops for years about writing more...and then you didn't finish the one you were doing in Crusader Kings...or the one deep in the past, something about Chariots or something....Bronze age stuff I think...It was a LONG time ago....

For some reason I had the idea to look through this lovely tome this afternoon, and I must say, it is such a wonderful example of comedy and prose placed together...and where else do you get such actors combined to re-create an EUII game? I ask you?

Sorry for the bump for those that dislike thread necromancy, but every great now and then it is good to remember what has come before...especially if it is really good, which this is!

By the by, a little birdy told me we may get more of the master's work some time in the not too distant future, so take a look at what you may be getting. If it is in fact true, we can all be thankful. :)

P.S. - Sorry, LD - I couldn't resist myself. Push...push... :p

coz1 said:
For some reason I had the idea to look through this lovely tome this afternoon, and I must say, it is such a wonderful example of comedy and prose placed together...and where else do you get such actors combined to re-create an EUII game? I ask you?

Sorry for the bump for those that dislike thread necromancy, but every great now and then it is good to remember what has come before...especially if it is really good, which this is!

By the by, a little birdy told me we may get more of the master's work some time in the not too distant future, so take a look at what you may be getting. If it is in fact true, we can all be thankful. :)

P.S. - Sorry, LD - I couldn't resist myself. Push...push... :p
Thanks Coz. I appreciate the bump, though I'll admit a bunch of supplemental posts would go a long way to further light a fire under my proverbial ass. :)

The truth is, I'm currently working on an idea for EU3 using Magnus Mundi Gold. Problem is, I tend to go overboard with research, which is the main sticking point at the moment. That, and my penchant for choosing a country that has very little written record for the time frame. Still, I'm putting something together, and as with my past AARs, expect a strong narrative tale with lots of surprises and guest appearance from some old standbys. Fictional or not.

Strange tough, whenever lists are made of recommended AARs, this one and my War of the Spanish Succession always seem to drop off the radar. Maybe my work appeals to only a select few. Such is the business... :confused:

Still, with the proper motivation...

Fantastic work, Lord Durham! It's funny, it's innovative and it pokes fun at a lot of things I never thought I'd see poked fun at in AARland.

Don't know how I missed this. Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. On reading it again I find there are things I wrote about that are no longer topical--like the bit about the Enron executives. Oh well, there's always Trixie... :)