• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They’re sleeping on it in that they are no longer posting rants about why they can’t just ignore culture (and moaning about rotating phases). They just see “dominate” and think “blob” and get mad when they’re not perfectly synonymous.

I’m a naked proponent of the old way because it required the player character to actually consider the new subjects you acquire when taking over an area that was not your religion for many many centuries. Now it’s just another blob endpoint with an event to click when you’re done. Smdh

They’re sleeping on it in that they are no longer posting rants about why they can’t just ignore culture (and moaning about rotating phases). They just see “dominate” and think “blob” and get mad when they’re not perfectly synonymous.

I’m a naked proponent of the old way because it required the player character to actually consider the new subjects you acquire when taking over an area that was not your religion for many many centuries. Now it’s just another blob endpoint with an event to click when you’re done. Smdh
I won't have so much problem of it if Hostility phase is not so restrictive to get once you ran out of enemy to fight. I usually play as Aragon from count of Urgell(Barcelona) start and culture convert is a pain because once you become King of Aragon your culture become Aragonesse in only one province when majority are Catalan so you have to spend time converting culture to get hostility end. And of course all that culture conversion will gone to waste if i cannot reach Hostility phase or my de jure Aragon kingdom expand.

Controlling all of Iberia where it's conquest already more restricted than other region to bypass stuggle phase and culture in primary kingdom is practicly a godsent. For me at least especially if i play Aragon run again.

Also thanks for actually explain why you disagree. Many would just slap disagree without giving explanation.

• 2Like
Reactions:

The issue is that if most of Hispania is my religion, I rule most (or all !) of it, and have my culture as the dominant one on the peninsula, by *any* reasonable definition I have dominated the area. If I'm then essentially unable to progress to hostility phase to close it out as dominant *because I've already converted everyone*, then that's a problem.

I had taken over the new subjects, converted them, and acheived a point of cultural and religious dominance, but the old set up said I wasn't as dominant as someone who holds slightly over 50% of the peninsula, and still has cultural and religious enemies outside of his hegemony.

**Both** approaches are valid ways to achieve dominance.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Also thanks for actually explain why you disagree. Many would just slap disagree without giving explanation.
You're quite welcome, and in fact I was starting to feel like the lone defender of the "why blobbing alone isn't good enough" idea the domination ending used to represent. Like, when I see this right here:
or my de jure Aragon kingdom expand.
...that sort of thing is totally within the player's control (barring a truly miraculous marriage inheritance). If you read the tooltip ahead of time, and realize that culture plays (now past tense "played" with the new exception for blobbers...) a part in ending the struggle no matter what you do, you would know that expansion for its own sake is not a good idea. Even months ago when the DLC first came out I was confused as to how de jure drift was happening so quickly that people were ending up with multicultural de jure kingdoms that blocked them out of this ending. Turns out they were just mindlessly blobbing. If you know ahead of time that the ending requires cultural uniformity within your de jure borders, then you better keep those de jure borders nice and neat.

When I did it with Castile (and united with Leon for the prerequisite decision, which by the way, requires you to not be an emperor--something a lot of other domination-seekers kept overlooking), I only had one county within my de jure borders that I needed to culture convert. Just one county!

edit: refreshing myself on the wikis, I think I was under the mistaken assumption that the new ending was now the *only* way to do domination. I see now they simply made an emergency escape exit for people who blobbed too mindlessly in the early game, and if people still want to do it the old way, they can. Phew! Sorry for the consternation.

• 3Like
Reactions:
You're quite welcome, and in fact I was starting to feel like the lone defender of the "why blobbing alone isn't good enough" idea the domination ending used to represent. Like, when I see this right here:

...that sort of thing is totally within the player's control (barring a truly miraculous marriage inheritance). If you read the tooltip ahead of time, and realize that culture plays (now past tense "played" with the new exception for blobbers...) a part in ending the struggle no matter what you do, you would know that expansion for its own sake is not a good idea. Even months ago when the DLC first came out I was confused as to how de jure drift was happening so quickly that people were ending up with multicultural de jure kingdoms that blocked them out of this ending. Turns out they were just mindlessly blobbing. If you know ahead of time that the ending requires cultural uniformity within your de jure borders, then you better keep those de jure borders nice and neat.

When I did it with Castile (and united with Leon for the prerequisite decision, which by the way, requires you to not be an emperor--something a lot of other domination-seekers kept overlooking), I only had one county within my de jure borders that I needed to culture convert. Just one county!

edit: refreshing myself on the wikis, I think I was under the mistaken assumption that the new ending was now the *only* way to do domination. I see now they simply made an emergency escape exit for people who blobbed too mindlessly in the early game, and if people still want to do it the old way, they can. Phew! Sorry for the consternation.
Why does it upset you so and you see it as mere blobbing that when the prerequisites are met that you can copy what happened historically once Granada was annexed, with Castile and Aragon unified, that being the expulsion of jews and muslims, then later the moriscos and crypto jews? It was one of the few fully historical things added in the dlcs and yet one of the hardest to achieve when you dominated Iberia?

You're describing the emergency escape route for domination-seekers who want to ignore cultural discrepancies among their subjects (as happened historically like you point out). Normally I like historical bumper lanes, but the struggle's endings intend to let you choose other ways to influence the alternate history that is your game save file. My personal favorite was Detente. The upsetting part isn't all that upsetting to me anymore now that I understand that the original gamified way that gives careful consideration to the cultural contours of your personal realm to end via Domination is still available. I thought the new way to end domination replaced the old way, but that's not the case.